homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: TEC suspended (... maybe?) (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: TEC suspended (... maybe?)
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
And no, it doesn't fit ... but I knew that anyway ...

So you were merely being disingenuous? That makes it all better. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] No, I wasn't being disingenuous. Mischievous to an extent ... rhetorical perhaps ...

But no, I wasn't deliberately out to fox or bamboozle you. I probably typed clumsily again ... my fingers type more quickly than my brain works ...

If anything, I was probably closer to your position on this one than it looked at first sight.

I was testing a hypothesis. Hence the reference to playing in sand-pits and messing with play-dough - to see what we came up with.

It was a reference to awful corporate workshop speak. Not only do we get, 'We workshopped that ...' we now get, 'Let's sand-pit it ...'

[Ultra confused]

As in mess around as in a child's sandpit to see what we can develop.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I'm not sure Eutychus has understood your bottom-line point ... I didn't take that to mean that all Protestant congregations have a single bottom-line to which everyone must adhere ... rather I understood it as some kind of bottom-line tends to be how Protestants define themselves ...

Precisely.
I still feel that the Anglo-Saxon experience is held as the standard here, and that this doesn't hold for continental Protestantism (which is where Protestantism originated and where still a lot of Protestants live).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, sure, we get that Le Roc.

I've acknowledged that continental European Protestantism is different to the Anglo-phone versions most of us here are used to ...

If I'm framing things in an Anglocentric way it's not because I don't recognise that there are alternatives ... it's simply because that's my cultural and linguistic background.

If I were from Holland or Germany, Denmark or Sweden I'd see things rather differently - for sure.

I don't know a great deal about Protestantism in Scandinavia or other parts of northern Europe - but what you say about it chimes with me ... in terms of what I do know and from what I have heard.

I know a bit about the national church in Sweden and that seems very much like a 'spiritual National Health Service' ... and more of a cultural/family and collective thing rather than the more individualistic UK/US and Australian forms of Anglophone Christianity that we're more used to ...

Mousethief has already acknowledged that continental Northern Europe is the exception that proves the rule.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gamaliel: Mousethief has already acknowledged that continental Northern Europe is the exception that proves the rule.
Hmm, if Anglo-Saxon Protestantism is the 'rule' and we are the 'exception', that still doesn't taste right to me. I think there are a lot of continental Europeans who would object to this way of phrasing it. Again, continental Europe is where Protestantism started. Why would we be considered the exception?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Well, there is a world of difference between a "high view of Scripture" and "toeing the party line" as a "bottom line".

Not when having a high view of Scripture is tacitly defined as agreeing with what the group derives from its high view of scripture.
Agreed, but that is a very distinct subset of the former view. Whether it wins out is I think somehow related to what this thread is all about (especially for those who think SSM is a symptom and not a cause).

quote:
You can agree to disagree (in some places) on whether the Parousia is pre-trib or post-trib or pre-millenial or post-millenial. But not whether or not homosexuality is a sin. If you think it isn't, you either shut your mouth or risk disfellowshipping.
Again, this is true in some protestant congregations (and round here, more evangelical ones) but by no means all. I think your experience might possibly be pond-influenced.

In some twelve years of existence, the church I help lead has so far managed to avoid adopting a confession of faith at all. I'm pretty sure opinions are divided on homosexuality; we work hard to keep our priorities right (if you want to find out where I stand on this these days, you'll have to visit Dead Horses). As to abortion, my wife and I took a position very similar to yours for someone in our church in, as it happens, a far less extreme situation.

There is certainly an evangelical constituency where I am that acts much as you describe, but I think it is confined a) to certain denominations and b) to certain levels of hierarchy. I think that on most DH issues, such churches are out of step with the majority of under-35s in their congregations.

With regard to the subject of this thread, this contributes to my suspicion that the leaders of GAFCON and their ilk are not necessarily representative of their flocks. Most sheep on both sides of the debate just want somewhere shibboleth-free to graze safely; it's the bad shepherds that muddy the waters [Frown]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Again, continental Europe is where Protestantism started. Why would we be considered the exception?

LeRoc, as stated above I think that if it's true at all, my speculation is truer for nonconformists than historic/established protestant churches.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Eutychus:LeRoc, as stated above I think that if it's true at all, my speculation is truer for nonconformists than historic/established protestant churches.
Yes, I think your experience is interesting. I know that you work in France; but is it in a nonconformist Protestant setting? Like I said before, another thing is that Protestants are a minority in that country, and surely that is going to make a difference too.

Look, I'm not trying to start a North Sea War here (we need a better term for this, analogous to 'Pond War' [Smile] ) I realise that this is an English-speaking forum, so obviously people are going to be talking from an Anglo-Saxon perspective. And I don't mind reading generalistic statements from time to time; these help to focus our thoughts sometimes. But I also think it's clear that when mousethief talks about Protestantism, he may have an idea in mind that is very different from my image of Protestantism.

There are obviously differences between Anglo-Saxon and Continental Protestantism (by which I roughly mean mainline Protestantism in the Netherlands, Germany and Scandinavia). Which of the two is the 'standard' and which is the 'exception'? I think that for a lot of Continentals, setting the Anglo-Saxon experience as the 'standard' would feel wrong.

(This difference is one of the reasons why it's interesting for me to be on the Ship. Sometimes I say something here that is perfectly acceptable in mainline European Protestantism. Something we don't even talk about because everyone excepts it. But when I say it here rather innocently, people go: "What the fuck are you on about??" It's interesting to get this feedback sometimes.)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LeRoc, the founders of these Northern European denominations were hardly the milquetoast "anything goes" types you are painting today. They had effing WARS about these things. Or at least using these things as excuses for wars, which couldn't be done if these things didn't mean something to somebody, more than which brand of biscuits we're going to have during fellowship hour.

I believe I asked before but you haven't answered. What would it take to be disfellowshiped from one of these undogmatic Norther churches? Is it at all possible? Is it "anything goes"? No position or behavior is too out there?

quote:
In some twelve years of existence, the church I help lead has so far managed to avoid adopting a confession of faith at all.

So what makes you different from the Catholics? Why evangelize in a Christian country at all, one that has an indigenous church? What sets you apart?

[ 18. January 2016, 17:53: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I can't speak for MT but when I use the term 'the exception that proves the rule' I'm not necessarily implying any value judgement on the 'exception' nor even suggesting that it's a literal 'exception' or out-rider ...

I suspect MT didn't mean it that way either, though.

What I think we were both saying is that 'unlike' non-Anglophone northern European Protestantism, the Protestantism we encounter and are most familiar with is pretty much defined by shibboleths and party-lines ...

How does this fit in, though, with what I once heard a Dutch evangelist say in a sermon, 'If you get three Dutch pastors together you get five opinions ...'

[Biased]

I've met a number of Dutch and German evangelicals in my time - as well as French, Spanish and one or two Italian ones. The Dutch and Germans were recognisably 'different' to UK evangelicals but did have strong UK and US influences.

The French and Spanish evangelicals felt more like UK or US imports ...

I don't know enough about Italian evangelicals - or Greek evangelicals ... or ...

A friend who studied Russian at university and who used to work in Russia with evangelical missions (she's now Orthodox) tells me that Russian evangelicals tend to be a heck of a lot more fundamentalist then UK evangelicals ... and very much defined by shibboleths.

So it very much depends on the churchmanship and tradition as much as anything else.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
mousethief: LeRoc, the founders of these Northern European denominations were hardly the milquetoast "anything goes" types you are painting today. They had effing WARS about these things. Or at least using these things as excuses for wars, which couldn't be done if these things didn't mean something to somebody, more than which brand of biscuits we're going to have during fellowship hour.
I guess a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. Most present-day members of these churches that went to war a couple of centuries ago would struggle to name a theological difference between their churches.

quote:
mousethief: I believe I asked before but you haven't answered. What would it take to be disfellowshiped from one of these undogmatic Norther churches? Is it at all possible? Is it "anything goes"? No position or behavior is too out there?
If I didn't answer you before, it wasn't on purpose. If I look at the very MotR Protestant church that my parents attend in the Netherlands (I'm not even talking about the experimental alt-worshippy group I go to), I can't remember anyone being dismembered from that church. I'm not sure if there is a procedure for that, and can't think of any position of behaviour why someone would be.

[ 18. January 2016, 18:07: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
If I look at the very MotR Protestant church that my parents attend in the Netherlands (I'm not even talking about the experimental alt-worshippy group I go to), I can't remember anyone being dismembered from that church. I'm not sure if there is a procedure for that, and can't think of any position of behaviour why someone would be.

So do they not have any doctrinal content at all? Nothing that really matters or that distinguishes them from non-Christians in any perceptible way? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this. Surely they must believe something distinguishes Christians from non-Christians? Or is it just that they don't care what you believe, as long as your parents went here, and you make the coffee when your name comes up on the rota?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
mousethief: So do they not have any doctrinal content at all?
Of course they do (although I guess to some Shipmates it may feel quite undogmatic). But when you preach a certain doctrine from the pulpit, there can be degrees in which you require everyone in your church to follow that doctrine (and in the actions you take if they don't).

[ 18. January 2016, 18:19: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I'm not sure Eutychus has understood your bottom-line point ... I didn't take that to mean that all Protestant congregations have a single bottom-line to which everyone must adhere ... rather I understood it as some kind of bottom-line tends to be how Protestants define themselves ...

Precisely.
I think there is certainly truth to this, but I wonder if it misses the point somewhat.

There is no question that divisions about doctrine and order pervade Christian history. The Great Schism and the Reformation are but the two biggest examples, and Protestant history is full of other examples. More recent examples aren't limited to Protestantism, though.

It seems to me that the key lies in a different sense of how Catholics, Orthodoxen and Protestants "define" themselves. The Catholic and Orthodox understanding is that they are the true church. That's what I understood being "bound together" by the sacraments and apostolic succession to mean—only within the true church with valid apostolic succession can one be sure of receiving true sacraments that in turn form the church into what it is. With this understanding, anyone who separates because of doctrinal disputes is schismatic, heretical, anathema, excommunicated, or some combination thereof. This encourages, I think, perhaps some leeway in keeping everyone in the tent and simultaneously in not wandering too far from the tent.

Most Protestants do not have an understanding of being the "true church" to the exclusion of other churches. That being so, separation over doctrinal issues, doesn't result in a split from the church in the same way it would in an Orthodox or Catholic understanding. Leaving a denomination is not, in Protestant understanding, leaving The Church.

It's not just a matter of how Protestant groups define themselves, then. It's also how they define "the Church."

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Why evangelize in a Christian country at all, one that has an indigenous church?

When I came to France over 30 years ago we were told that even the Catholic church described France as a mission field, and I don't think France has become more "Christian" in the meantime. We get a lot of people who either have no church background at all or feel completely disenfranchised from the historic Church. I'd like to think we equip people to get to grips themselves with what the Bible means for them.

30 years has changed both me and the environment. Certainly more Catholics open their Bibles than did than. And today, at various levels, I'm involved in ecumenical and even interfaith initiatives. Tomorrow night I'll be up the front at the local Week of Prayer for Christian Unity event with the Catholics, Orthodox and fellow Protestant representatives.

quote:

So what makes you different from the Catholics?

At one level I have just as good fellowship with some fellow Catholics as I do with some fellow evangelicals, just as I can come out twitching from meetings with both. The official Catholic view of ecumenical efforts is basically "a day out at the zoo" - even the local ecumenical group gets referred to as the diocesan ecumenical group, which nearly gave my Orthodox brother apoplexy. I just can't hack that "Mary & Saints" stuff; but for many Catholics it seems to fall into the "all Catholics believe it but of course I don't".

Our church is made up, broadly, of believers, i.e. people who are involved out of conviction more than out of habit and tradition. And yes, we get not a few people looking for others who actually study their Bibles (also a good source of new recruits for the JWs by the way).

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I get what you're saying, Eutychus, although I'm still not quite ready to buy that there is nothing that distinguishes you between the Catholics and Orthodoxen on your local diocesan ecumenical group.

quote:
I'd like to think we equip people to get to grips themselves with what the Bible means for them.

There's a real difference between the Orthodox and Protestant view, I think: for you it all comes down to people's relationship with the Bible. I can't imagine any Orthodox (or Catholic) would make this their bottom line or ultimate goal.

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
It seems to me that the key lies in a different sense of how Catholics, Orthodoxen and Protestants "define" themselves.

I've been trying to say something very like this throughout this conversation. I don't think we're that far apart; maybe seeing the same elephant from different sides.

[ 18. January 2016, 19:07: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've been trying to say something very like this throughout this conversation. I don't think we're that far apart; maybe seeing the same elephant from different sides.

Yes. I was just hoping that describing the elephant from the other side might help.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't been able to participate much on this thread over the weekend. But I have a few more thoughts.

Given what GAFCON believes, working to get TEC expelled from the Anglican Communion and replaced by ACNA makes perfect sense. If I believed what GAFCON believes, I would refuse to stay in communion with TEC even if it mean the dissolution of the Anglican Communion and the loss of Western/Northern/White financial support. GAFCON watched how TEC treated conservatives who wanted to leave TEC but remain part of the Anglican Communion. They might have noticed what happened to Christian bakers, florists, and pizza makers who didn't want to participate in gay weddings. No, I think if I believed what GAFCON believes I would be taking a page out of the National Rifle Association's playbook and say no to everything. I don't believe what GAFCON believes (but I try to understand the Other and what not). However, in retrospect, I don't think the years and years of court battles over church property was worth it. I wish TEC would have been more gracious and humble in how they treated conservatives who wanted to leave.

What GAFCON wants is a change in the understanding of the Anglican Communion. When push comes to shove, a majority of Anglican provinces will not permit that to happen. See the failed attempt at getting an Anglican Covenant in place. Nobody wants to give the primates of the Global South that much influence over their churches. I predict we will see a split between the provinces with most of the money and the provinces with most of the people. In other words, the Anglican Communion will split along the same lines as the Republican Party.

The GAFCON primates are hypocrites. TEC rejected the part of Lambeth 1998 we didn't like. Some provinces of GAFCON rejected the parts they didn't like. If I believed what the typical person likely to get appointed Archbishop of Canterbury believes, I would be in quite the moral pickle. How dare I sit in judgment of those in the Global South? It's colonialism all over again and I still feel guilty over colonialism. At the same time, you can't get more homophobic than imprisoning and potentially executing gays and lesbians. It would be one thing if the people doing the persecuting of gays and lesbians were Muslim like in Saudi Arabia and Iran but these are Christians and in many cases Anglicans at that. And, hell, I'm the fucking Archbishop of Canterbury so this is my circus and those are my trapeze artists (saying monkeys or clowns would be construed as racist) so everybody expects me to say something worthy of the person holding the same office as Thomas Becket but the best I can come up with is milquetoast ecclesiastical corparatese. Of course, I don't believe what the typical person likely to be Archbishop of Canterbury believes (but I try to understand the Other and what not).

The average person in TEC doesn't care about the Anglican Communion. Hell, most Episcopalians want their diocese to leave them alone. They could care less that they won't get to vote for people who vote for people who vote for the people who actually participate in the Instruments of Unity that they couldn't name to save their lives. They can name the married gay could who faithfully sit in the pew in front of them every Sunday and the very competent and orthodox married lesbian who would make a better bishop than most of the straight males that get elected based at least partially on the fact they look like a bishop.

This is how the communion ends not with a bang but a whimper.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
I'm still not quite ready to buy that there is nothing that distinguishes you between the Catholics and Orthodoxen on your local diocesan ecumenical group.

I never claimed there wasn't! There's a verse in Ephesians that talks about the Church being the multi-faceted wisdom of God. I'm happy to accept that we're all facets of that without passing judgement on precisely who is in and who is out.

And as Nick Tamen points out of protestants, I don't equate belonging to any particular church with belonging to The Church™

quote:
for you it all comes down to people's relationship with the Bible.
That's not what I said either. How can you have a relationship with a book? The Bible itself tells us you can't (2 Corinthians 3 notably)!

If I really must say what I think "it all comes down to", at present I'd say it comes down to whether the Holy Spirit dwells in us.

I think the Bible is useful to the ministry of the Spirit to the extent that it's illuminated by the Spirit. The gathered church also plays a part in the work of the Spirit. But at the end of the day, yes, I think God's aim is for each to know him, independently of any other human teacher or intermediary.

That's how I understand the New Covenant promise in Jeremiah 31:31 [Angel]

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...Protestantism [is] based on ideas, and the glue that holds Protestant churches together is agreeing on ideas. .. The Catholics see themselves primarily as bound together by the sacraments and their shared history. (Orthodoxen the same.)

... what keeps the great rock [of RCC or Orthodox church] together isn't minutiæ of doctrine but the sacraments and the continuity of clergy and worship.

I appreciate this comment for making me think.

The contrast between a gathering being based on agreed ritual vs based on agreed theology may have merit (even if not so strongly either/or, but we are writing brief posts, not detailed articles).

But what intrigues me is the "middle ground" of groups of churches that don't agree on points some think important, and yet gladly associate with each other. That's what the Anglican communion has been like, (and what the Southern Baptist Convention was like before the power battle to destroy that broad welcome and impose beliefs that had been optional, like 6 day creation) - a large gathering of independent churches that disagreed on many points of theology but embraced each other as fellow churches that share a mutual unity at a level deeper than the disagreements.

That third way is what died in SBC a couple decades ago (which is why I think awareness of goals and tactics from the SBC takeover may be instructive) and what seems to be at risk now in the Anglican Communion.

quote:
quote:
Eutychus: ...protestant groups self-define by a doctrinal line.
I don't think this is in the case with mainline protestantism in...most of Northern Europe. You're in a certain protestant group because your father was there, and his father,
In USA mainliners often identify with a denominational label by habit of family history but really don't care what the local clergy person thinks and haven't a clue what the denomination teaches.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
That would be the mission of groups like GAFCON, I guess - to preserve the Scripture as the only source document for Christian faith and practice.

In other words, what is happening is that the conservatives are not being asked to be 'loving' and 'accepting';... they are being asked to throw aside their whole approach to Scripture and faith.

No, they are not. They are being asked not to piss on TEC. Really, I don't care what other people believe, until they start wanting to piss on me for not agreeing with them.
I thought Anglicans historically have said the Bible is NOT the sole basis, but also tradition and reason. Am I wrong or is a goal of narrowing it to only the Bible a goal to change Anglicanism?
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

So, where next, Beeswax Altar?

It looks like we could have a situation where TEC becomes the new ACNA with ACNA becoming the official Anglican church in the USA and TEC occupying the position formerly held by ACNA ... that or rebel or schismatic Anglicans ...

It depends how important Anglican identity is - I suppose - as opposed to a more general Episcopalian one ...

I've come across TEC priests on-line who are obsessed with the Royal Family and with English manners and customs in a way that would embarrass many English - and other British people - more generally.

Indeed, the young ACNA priest I met last year was a big real ale enthusiast - good man - and although clearly not 'English' -culturally obviously very much an Anglophile.

Ok - I recognise that there's more to it than tea and scones, cask ale or London Gin ...

But what is it that holds the thing together ... it's not as if we've all got Byrd and Cramner ...?

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

@Eutychus ... so you're looking to work yourself out if a job and make yourself redundant then?

At what point do we know or tell when human intermediaries or structures are no longer required and we can cast them off like bicycle stabilisers?

Sounds all very good and Quaker-ish but it could easily head towards Illuminism without nasty human intermediaries and structures of some kind.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
@Eutychus ... so you're looking to work yourself out if a job and make yourself redundant then?

As I said, I believe that the gathered church has a role to play in mediating the Spirit to the believer, and that requires a minimum of leadership and organisation.

While I do ultimately hold to what I just quoted in Jeremiah, I was being a bit provocative, as indeed I think the text is. I do however think it's important that spiritual leaders teach people to think for themselves, and empower rather than control them. I think my role is largely about creating a safe space for people to grow into spiritual maturity.

Our church runs almost no programmes of its own, but its members are massively involved in other programmes of all sorts across Christianity and beyond, and I like to think this is an outworking of that stance.

I have been actively considering how to hand over leadership of the church for a little while now. Far less than ticking doctrinal boxes, and even than a checklist regarding DH issues (either way), I'm looking for people who I think share the same sort of outlook. A mix of Bible knowledge, grace (something I took, in terms of teaching if not in practice, from NFI), openness to the Spirit, open-handedness, and a pastoral heart.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think though, that it depends on the local community....do you think, Eutychus, that being in a majority-Catholic country (well as far as France can be a religious country!) impacts the way it plays out in your church? Equally there will be communities where a more involved church activity programme will be needed to have that safe space for people to spiritually mature in.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
I think though, that it depends on the local community....do you think, Eutychus, that being in a majority-Catholic country (well as far as France can be a religious country!) impacts the way it plays out in your church?

I just noticed LeRoc asked me this question (or something very like it) and I never answered - sorry!

I have indeed long observed that in "Christian" countries, there are myriad differences in both protestantism and catholicism depending on which one is the majority religion.

By way of anecdote, some years ago at a European prison chaplains' conference I befriended a Roman Catholic priest working as a chaplain... in Greece. Here in France RC chaplains are the vast and overwhelming majority and we protestants are the minority - not exactly oppressed so much as squashed by sheer weight of numbers (at an organisational level). At the hands of the Greek Orthodox on their home turf, my new friend shared my experiences, if not my doctrine, exactly. It was fraternal, funny, and an invaluable lesson.

So yes, the environment definitely makes a difference. A long time ago I read a survey which said the majority of members of France's historic protestant church were so first and foremost "for the freedom of thought it allows".

[ETA mousethief, that came way above any doctrinal assertions!]

That's as resounding an echo as you could wish for of the 19th-century "war for the schools" in which protestants joined forces with anti-clericals to wrest education from the sole preserve of the Catholics and establish the beginnings of secularity (laïcité).

All that said, I don't think our current church is very typical. We're protestant in belief and evangelical in piety, but after that it gets complicated. One member describes it as "full of zebras".

[ 18. January 2016, 20:54: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Meet and Right So to Do
Apprentice
# 18532

- Posted      Profile for Meet and Right So to Do     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've come across TEC priests on-line who are obsessed with the Royal Family and with English manners and customs in a way that would embarrass many English - and other British people - more generally.

I would say the number of unabashed royalists and Anglophiles ordained by the Episcopal Church that I've come across online is nearly on par with the number of faux Catholic clergy. Sometimes they're more papist than the Roman priests down the street!
Meet and Right So to Do
Apprentice
# 18532

- Posted      Profile for Meet and Right So to Do     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An interesting response from the Episcopal bishop of Springfield, who is Anglo-Catholic:

[removed extensive quote due to fair use considerations: readers can refer to the link]

http://www.episcopalspringfield.org/living-in-the-bonds-of-tough-love/

[ 19. January 2016, 06:17: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were touched and amused, some years ago, to see a plaque in one of the big TEC churches in New York (can't remember which but some shipmate will know) marking the spot where the Queen stood on a visit to the church in 1977 and solemnly noting that 'His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh stood two paces behind her' (or words to that effect).
But then New York was pretty loyal during the unpleasantness of 1776-83, wasn't it?

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What would it take to be disfellowshiped from one of these undogmatic Norther churches? Is it at all possible? Is it "anything goes"? No position or behavior is too out there?

You have asked this and some other questions, which I gather you have conclusions about. I haven't found the originals of all your posts, but have followed the discussion of them.

Respectfully, the question of "is there a position or behaviour is too out there" and similar: I think these are the wrong questions (other Anglicans may disagree, this is the western Canadian expression). The question is how to people come together to worship, in a faithful way, but also recognizing several important things about humans. That none of us have the answers, that we are better to be part of the world than to not be part of it, that we should open our doors to any who would come in and seek, and we should not reject people who want to come in.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there any signs of reactions domestically in England to the purge? I would assume that both sides of the dead horse splits might think that now is the time to take action rather than fudge..
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

Yes. I was just hoping that describing the elephant from the other side might help.
Excellent, I hoped that was the case.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
But what intrigues me is the "middle ground" of groups of churches that don't agree on points some think important, and yet gladly associate with each other. That's what the Anglican communion has been like, (and what the Southern Baptist Convention was like before the power battle to destroy that broad welcome and impose beliefs that had been optional, like 6 day creation) - a large gathering of independent churches that disagreed on many points of theology but embraced each other as fellow churches that share a mutual unity at a level deeper than the disagreements.

It seems to me that the Anglican Communion has been more type 1 (linked by common worship and ancestry) and GAFCON et al. want to make it type 2 (linked by doctrinal statements).

quote:
I have been actively considering how to hand over leadership of the church for a little while now. Far less than ticking doctrinal boxes, and even than a checklist regarding DH issues (either way), I'm looking for people who I think share the same sort of outlook. A mix of Bible knowledge, grace (something I took, in terms of teaching if not in practice, from NFI), openness to the Spirit, open-handedness, and a pastoral heart.

So you're looking for people who think like you, just not along doctrinal lines but along attitude/approach lines.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
What would it take to be disfellowshiped from one of these undogmatic Norther churches? Is it at all possible? Is it "anything goes"? No position or behavior is too out there?

You have asked this and some other questions, which I gather you have conclusions about.
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean that you think I think I have all the answers and am only asking questions to provoke people or confirm my preexisting ideas? I can assure you this is not the case. I am floating a theory and asking people who dislike my theory questions to see if they are really exceptions, or if we're just using words differently, or seeing from different angles.

quote:
Respectfully, the question of "is there a position or behaviour is too out there" and similar: I think these are the wrong questions (other Anglicans may disagree, this is the western Canadian expression). The question is how to people come together to worship, in a faithful way, but also recognizing several important things about humans. That none of us have the answers, that we are better to be part of the world than to not be part of it, that we should open our doors to any who would come in and seek, and we should not reject people who want to come in.
See, that puts you in type 1 (ecclesial unity) rather than type 2 (doctrinal unity). This still falls neatly into my simple-minded two-compartment box, just not in the compartment I have prejudicially labeled "The Protestant bottom line."

[ 19. January 2016, 03:34: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Meet and Right So To Do:
quote:
The 1979 American Book of Common Prayer is horrible.
A dissenting view here: I have liked it. Not all of it, mind, but enough to be happy about participating in the liturgy. And my church only tweaks it a tiny bit.
Our shack is pretty much by-the-book. I don't think it's horrible, either. There are some bits that are desperately twee (hello, prayer C) and bits where I might prefer different language, but it's OK.

I'm a little scared of a new one - not because I think it will import bad theology, but because I suspect it will be so much set in its time that it'll sound outdated in a few months.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

What sort of 'domestic' reactions are you interested in Palimpsest?

There's been coverage in the news, of course - fairly extensively in the quality press and on the BBC - but there's no major ground-swell of interest other than among people like us who like to debate things on Ship-of-Fools or clergy who have a strong view one way or t'other.

It wasn't even mentioned in our parish church on Sunday.I can't speak for anyone else though.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

There's been coverage in the news, of course - fairly extensively in the quality press and on the BBC - but there's no major ground-swell of interest other than among people like us who like to debate things on Ship-of-Fools or clergy who have a strong view one way or t'other.

It wasn't even mentioned in our parish church on Sunday.I can't speak for anyone else though.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was mentioned in my place on Sunday, along the following lines:

1. We prayed for the meeting in Canterbury.
2. Then for tolerance towards those sometimes marginalised by societies, particularly churches.
3. Specific prayers for the leaders of our fellow Anglicans in Africa and Asia.
4. Prayed for the ABofC in his role as head of the CofE.

I think that makes it pretty clear where our P-in-C stands.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meet and Right So to Do:
An interesting response from the Episcopal bishop of Springfield, who is Anglo-Catholic:

[removed extensive quote due to fair use considerations: readers can refer to the link]

Meet and Right So to Do

Welcome to the Ship. The editing of your post may well have puzzled you, but fair use of quotes is restricted here to just a few lines (about half a dozen normally), both for copyright purposes and also because of the alternative use of links, which does not run any copyright risk.

If you want to refer to a particular segment of a link, just direct Shipmates to the start and finish lines, or heading reference, or paragraph number (if available).

Barnabaas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No mention at all with us - I'd be surprised if half the congregation had any clue there'd been a Primates Meeting.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Yes, I'd imagine most Anglicans here would think that Primates are those big hairy things with silver-backs which strut around on their knuckles and beat their chests to show who is in charge ...

Oh, wait ...

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The monthly CofE leaflet for pew fodder was published yesterday without mentioning even that the ABC was hosting a Big Thing. [Confused]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Gamaliel:
It looks like we could have a situation where TEC becomes the new ACNA with ACNA becoming the official Anglican church in the USA and TEC occupying the position formerly held by ACNA ... that or rebel or schismatic Anglicans ...

Yes, TEC will occupy the position formerly held by ACNA. ACNA claimed to be Anglican because their theology was more in line with the traditional theology of the Church of England. TEC can't and won't do that. Instead, we will change our understanding of Anglican Communion and claim that the Anglican Communion can never kick us out of the Anglican Communion because whatever we are being kicked out of is not really the Anglican Communion. That TEC has laughed at Continuing Anglican churches for a couple of decades now will be forgotten.

quote:

Americans can be obsessed with all of that and not care one whit about the Church of England or the Anglican Communion. All the old ladies in every parish I've ever served remember a time when High Tea was quite the to do at the parish. Most of them could care less about the Anglican Communion. We are in love with Merry Old England and the UK as it existed from say 1816-1945. After Churchill, the whole thing went to shit. [Razz]

quote:
Indeed, the young ACNA priest I met last year was a big real ale enthusiast - good man - and although clearly not 'English' -culturally obviously very much an Anglophile.

Real ale is having a moment in the US but it isn't directly connected to being an anglophile.

quote:
But what is it that holds the thing together ... it's not as if we've all got Byrd and Cramner ...?

We all have them now.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beeswax Altar posts:
quote:
Americans can be obsessed with all of that and not care one whit about the Church of England or the Anglican Communion. All the old ladies in every parish I've ever served remember a time when High Tea was quite the to do at the parish. Most of them could care less about the Anglican Communion. We are in love with Merry Old England and the UK as it existed from say 1816-1945. After Churchill, the whole thing went to shit.
I think that the post-1945 miscomprehension of the UK stems from a lack of costumed PBS dramas on that period (some episodes of Foyle's War excepted) which were a formative part of that perception. Most anglophiles are only vaguely aware that Churchill had an existence after the end of the war.

Canadians have an influential but aging cohort of English-immigrant Anglicans, and there are many parishes where war brides were (and still are) an influential and active cohort. They, however, have a more realistic if dated image of Britain. Their memories of the Queen are of a young ATS driver as much as they are of Helen Mirren.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half my friends are members of Changing Attitude and the other half are on General Synod (and indeed sometimes are both), so although there is a great deal of comment from my friends, it's not really an average group of Anglicans.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Indeed it does have to do with a lack of PBS costume dramas set after World War II. We see nothing special in the PBS comedies set in the present day UK. I am impressed with Geraldine Grangers ability to fill St. Barnabas Dibley every Sunday.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does PBS stand for in this context please?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Public Broadcasting Service

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
What does PBS stand for in this context please?

The Public Broadcasting Service, which is where most Americans encounter British TV shows.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

The US discovery of cask ale and indeed its own indigeneous craft beer revolution (even though most of it isn't cask-conditioned) may not be connected with Anglophilia - although cask ale is a British phenomenon, but perhaps some kond of residual folk memory ... a harking back to a time when beer actually tasted of something ... and wasn't over-chilled fizzy liquid ...

A yearning for some culture and class ... [Big Grin]

Bob Hoskins nailed it in 'The Long Good Friday'. That speech about a country that has made a bigger contribution to world culture than 'just a hamburger ...'

As one critic said at the time of the film's release, 'It makes you proud of British crime ...'

[Biased]

Anyhow, if the UK went to the dogs after Labour came to power in 1945 and introduced the Welfare State, I wonder when the US went down the tubes? 1783 perhaps? Or maybe with the passing of the 2nd Amendment - or later even, when the US annexed Texas?

[Razz] [Biased]

Seriously, of course, I wouldn't necessarily expect Anglicans in the US, Papua New Guinea, Peru or Cuba to be particularly Anglophile - nor US Episcopalians necessarily ... but one would expect something 'Anglo' about it in some way - the clue is in the title after all.

I mean, there's something Dutch about the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa ...

More seriously again, I'm still wondering what the Anglican Communion actually 'means' and what's holding it together.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do the Dutch "go Dutch"? Do the English "put English" on a ball? Do Yankees "yank"? (I'll get my snow suit.)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Meet and Right So to Do
Apprentice
# 18532

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
Originally posted by Meet and Right So to Do:

Meet and Right So to Do

Welcome to the Ship. The editing of your post may well have puzzled you, but fair use of quotes is restricted here to just a few lines (about half a dozen normally), both for copyright purposes and also because of the alternative use of links, which does not run any copyright risk.

If you want to refer to a particular segment of a link, just direct Shipmates to the start and finish lines, or heading reference, or paragraph number (if available).

Barnabaas62
Purgatory Host

With all due respect, it's a press statement and hardly subject to any fair use claims.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016