homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: The unforgivable sin? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: The unforgivable sin?
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What, the Holy Spirit wouldn't have had to murder them? Whoops, did I just blaspheme Him? I ACTUALLY feel a level of irrational fear there.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm amazed at how un-parallel the Mark and Luke accounts are. Along with Matthew 12:22-

Mark 3:29 is the Son of Man speaking. HE knows that He is performing beautiful, wonderful, unconditional miracles (except that they are usually wanted by the recipients, the exception to that being those that have had their minds destroyed by demonic possession) in and by God the Holy Spirit.

As a MAN of His time, of His culture, how could He NOT regard the Pharisees (there but for fortune) as beyond the pale for accusing God of being Satan in the name of their fear of loss of privilege?

When He forgave them for murdering Him in their ignorance, was this not covered?

Does He not save?

[ 07. September 2015, 07:13: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Pimple, we've had this conversation so often, and I still don't get why you insist that Peter is the big bad guy here.
Peter says very clearly that the issue is LYING, not failure to hand over the $, or failure to make a sufficiently large offering, or any offering at all. The problem has to do with waltzing up and announcing to the church/universe at large that you gave 100% of the cost when you really only gave 50% or whatever--bigging yourself up at the cost of a freaking lie about the facts.
And this in a case where there was no reasonable excuse for a lie. Nobody forced them to sell the land and bring an offering. They could have kept their land—others did. They could also have sold it and kept the price and gone on an all-expenses paid cruise round the Mediterranean. They could have sold it and kept part of the price (for their kids’ university tuition, no doubt) and freely made an offering of the other part. Whatever, it was entirely up to them. The church—and Peter—had nothing to do with the matter until the point where A & S showed up at offering time and had to open their big mouths and volunteer a freaking lie.
And Sapphira is no innocent victim, either. She obviously had enough power in that marriage that her husband involved her in the transaction. Otherwise it would have been, “Sorry, Peter, Ananias never talks to me about money.” She’s a big girl, and she has responsibility for her choices just as her husband does.

Seriously, if these two idiots had only managed to keep their mouths entirely SHUT when they made the offering (no boasts about “giving 100%” or whatever), there would have been no problem whatsoever.

Sorry, LC - I missed that bit - boasting about the 100% donation and stuff. That changes the complexion of things completely. Where, um, is it, exactly?
Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, here’s the text (ESV version). Take a look at the bolded bits.

quote:

But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, 2 and with his wife's knowledge he kept back for himself some of the proceeds and brought only a part of it and laid it at the apostles' feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? 4 While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God.” 5 When Ananias heard these words, he fell down and breathed his last. And great fear came upon all who heard of it. 6 The young men rose and wrapped him up and carried him out and buried him.
7 After an interval of about three hours his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter said to her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much.” And she said, “Yes, for so much.” 9 But Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. When the young men came in they found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11 And great fear came upon the whole church and upon all who heard of these things.

The story starts off with A & S selling their property and bringing part of the price to donate to the church. So far, so good. No doubt many others did the same. (If they had only stuck with telling the truth at this point, they’d have been one more in the honorable parade of Christians donating to benefit their poorer brethren—like Barnabas, who is mentioned as a fellow giver. Peter himself points out that the money from the sale belonged to A & S, who could choose to do what they liked with it, and it was none of the church's business if they kept it, used it elsewhere, or divided it.)

There is an obvious gap in Luke’s reporting right at this point, between verses 2 and 3. Ananias clearly said something when he showed up in front of Peter and the other apostles—he didn’t just hand the money over wordlessly and leave. First of all, that would be downright weird and highly unusual (unless you are in a church of mimes, I suppose).

But we don’t need to rely on weak “what ifs” here. What did Ananias actually say? We can figure it out by looking at the exchange between Peter and Sapphira a few verses later. Both confirm that Ananias spoke at that point, and the content of what he said, both in their own independent ways.

Ananias clearly claimed that he had sold the land for a certain amount, an amount which Peter is able to quote to Sapphira. Peter didn’t pull that figure out of his ass, he must have gotten it from Ananias. And Sapphira recognizes the figure when he quotes it to her and confirms it, which shows that she had foreknowledge of what Ananias intended to say.

So now we know what Ananias said. And Peter, speaking by the Holy Spirit, calls it a lie. “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit?” Worse than that, he points to an evil motive for lying: “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord?”

A & S aren’t just trying to big themselves up, which is bad enough. They are also apparently trying to see whether the stuff they’re hearing at church is true—whether there really IS a Holy Spirit capable of knowing the truth and telling it to people—“Let’s find if this shit is real, if anybody at church realizes we’re pulling a fast one.”

Well, they found out. Bad, bad idea. Poor A & S.
[Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, as for the 100% giving thing--that's a bit subtler.

Imagine you have sold a car and want to give a major gift to the church, but not the whole sale price(say, only 75% of it, which is really quite generous).

Under those circumstances, are you going to state the total amount you gained (but chose not to donate) when there’s no freaking relevance to the conversation? Of course not.

You might reasonably say, “This here is the money I want to donate, it comes to $15,000.” You might even say “This is $15,000, it’s part of the money I got from selling my new car.” But that’s as far as you’d go.

You’d not say in front of God and everybody, publicly, to the embarassment of all, “Well, I sold it for $20,000 but I’m only giving you $15,000.” Because why? That leads people to focus on what you didn’t give, not what you did, which is an emotional downer and embarrassment. People don’t say that kind of thing.

No, the only time you’d naturally mention the sale price of the car (the TOTAL sale price) would be if you were making over the entire amount as a gift. In that case, it would be very natural to say, “Hey, I sold my car, here’s the money I got for it.”

Ananias clearly made a similar statement when he turned up with a portion of the real sale price. “Here’s X denarii, I got it by selling the family potato field” or similar.

And that would have flown right past the radar of any church leader in a normal situation. Unfortunately for A & S, the Holy Spirit chose to involve himself in this situation.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still seems bloody harsh to me. It's definitely one of those "how can this possibly be right?" passages for me. Along with most of the OT.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Aye K:LS. The concentric circles away from Jesus go down hill rapidly! Never mind, Jesus wasn't there so it doesn't matter.

--------------------
Love wins

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LC Look again at the bold passages yourself. The accusation of lying comes from Peter. How much was withheld we don't know. Nor for what reason. There is no indication that Peter bothered to find out. The FACT is that the money was withheld. Peter INTERPRETS this as a lie - and not just a lie against himself, but against the Holy Spirit. What justification he can possibly have for this over=reaction I cannot imagine.

Your quite attractive and plausible fiction is based, I believe, on your charitable feelings towards one of the church's early leaders, and you think I have been unfair to him. You are, perhaps, fighting for justice for Peter.

I could (and have, but not for these pages)also constructed a fiction around the death of Ananias and the vicious entrapment of his wife. That is MY subjective interpretation of the meagre facts we have. You are seeking justice for Peter. I am seeking justice for Ananias and Sapphira.

I think my fiction is more plausible. And I think I've posted enough of it to illustrate that. I'd need the hosts permission to expand it any further - it's in poetry.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
LC Look again at the bold passages yourself. The accusation of lying comes from Peter. How much was withheld we don't know. Nor for what reason. There is no indication that Peter bothered to find out. The FACT is that the money was withheld. Peter INTERPRETS this as a lie - and not just a lie against himself, but against the Holy Spirit. What justification he can possibly have for this over=reaction I cannot imagine.

Your quite attractive and plausible fiction is based, I believe, on your charitable feelings towards one of the church's early leaders, and you think I have been unfair to him. You are, perhaps, fighting for justice for Peter.

I could (and have, but not for these pages)also constructed a fiction around the death of Ananias and the vicious entrapment of his wife. That is MY subjective interpretation of the meagre facts we have. You are seeking justice for Peter. I am seeking justice for Ananias and Sapphira.

I think my fiction is more plausible. And I think I've posted enough of it to illustrate that. I'd need the hosts permission to expand it any further - it's in poetry - of a narrative and somewhat long-winded form.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem there is that in the story God clearly sides with Peter because both end up dead, apparently supernaturally.

That gives rise to far more problem than Peter getting it wrong.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Sorry, I don't know how the edit became a shouty quote.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
The problem there is that in the story God clearly sides with Peter because both end up dead, apparently supernaturally.

That gives rise to far more problem than Peter getting it wrong.

I quite agree. It opens up the possiblility of something far more sinister than Peter "getting it wrong".

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:

I think my fiction is more plausible. And I think I've posted enough of it to illustrate that. I'd need the hosts permission to expand it any further - it's in poetry.

Pimple--If you're going to rule out the Holy Spirit's involvement in what Peter said and did, then you will have to account for how Peter knew that any of the money had been withheld. Presumably he wasn't there when the sale was finalized. And gossip isn't likely to account for Peter's knowledge--because other people's real estate transactions are just not that interesting unless the potential gossiper has a personal stake in the matter or knows of a scandal connected with it--neither of which would have been true at the time the sale was conducted. And no online sales records in that day to facilitate after-the-fact spying, either. So how the hell does Peter know?

Unless you want to rewrite your narrative and assume that Ananias did in fact bring the whole price, but evil Peter (who had a grudge against him for some unknown reason) made up the whole story out of nothing and then zapped him (using what power, exactly?) before Ananias could open his mouth and correct it.

On the zapping, too--where exactly is Peter supposed to have gotten this magic power to wipe out his personal enemies without laying a hand on them? God would never lend himself to that shit. Peter must have done a deal with the devil or something. Or be some sort of extraterrestrial--because TWO deaths, on command, on a single day, both due to psychosomatic causes is stretching coincidence far past breaking point.

You know, on second thoughts, it would have been far easier just to poison the pair of them. Quietly, off stage somewhere, and avoid the messy questions. If your theory that Peter had a grudge is correct.

[ 09. September 2015, 17:54: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pimple, the thing that puzzles me about your reading of the story is what Peter is actually supposed to have DONE. In the account in Acts 5 (for which the context btw is Acts 4. 32-37, he simply says
quote:
‘Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, were not the proceeds at your disposal? How is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You did not lie to us [Gk anthropos = people/humans] but to God!.’
In response Ananias simply falls down and dies. Even if Peter's statement is untrue, a false or mistaken accusation is not an act which amounts to murder. The situation is similar with Sapphira. I'm not at all clear, on your account how Peter is supposed to have killed either of them.

[ 09. September 2015, 20:01: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
When I first heard about this verse, I tried to be careful not to blaspheme the Holy Spirit in my mind (with the same result as not trying to think about a pink elephant).

My sympathies. In my case, a stray thought popped into my head when I was a kid, and I struggled to get past it for a long, long time. Left scars, and I still usually avoid the topic altogether.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I did too. Having a mild case of OCD didn't make it any better. When I had my own kid, I took steps™ to prevent him suffering the same way.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So lying was a capital offense in the early church. That was probably in four point type, in an appendix on page twelve of the church membership contract.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Pimple, the thing that puzzles me about your reading of the story is what Peter is actually supposed to have DONE. In the account in Acts 5 (for which the context btw is Acts 4. 32-37, he simply says
quote:
‘Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, were not the proceeds at your disposal? How is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You did not lie to us [Gk anthropos = people/humans] but to God!.’
In response Ananias simply falls down and dies. Even if Peter's statement is untrue, a false or mistaken accusation is not an act which amounts to murder. The situation is similar with Sapphira. I'm not at all clear, on your account how Peter is supposed to have killed either of them.
Sorry, I thought I'd made it clear that the charge of murder applies only to Sapphira. Why did Ananias drop dead? We cannot tell for sure. ied of fright, perhaps, like the man in the OT who accidentally touched the Ark of the Covenant.

We cannot say that Peter deliberately scared Ananias to death. What is pretty clear is that the charge of lying against the Holy Spirit must, if proven, have carried some sort of penalty in the community. Everyone must surely have known that Jesus said that a sin against the Holy Spirit was the only one that could not be forgiven. So what is likely? For cheating - telling off and a public humiliation, perhaps. But for the totally unforgiveable sin against the
Holy Spirit, surely the sanction would have been the severest available to the community. Not just a public telling off, but banishment.

Am I exaggerating things? Look, the man did drop dead. I have read the chilling words of Spinoza's excommunication. And I imagine Ananias was expecting something along those lines. Any one with a weak heart...

But then Sapphira appears. Three hours later, was it? Yes, Look at what Peter said, and did. Look first at what he didn't say. No warning not to lie, no news about her husband - that's kept in reserve. No encouragement to confess and seek forgiveness.

And the killer? What is Peter's intent -even before Sapphira turns up? He tells her: "The men who buried your husband are at the door - and they will carry you out."

Having seen - perhaps to his surprise - the demise of Ananias, I surmise (I think reasonably) that Peter saw no reason why the woman should get away with it. She must have been in cahoots with her husband (because that's the way women are - like Eve!) and he goes about making it easy for the Lord to take her spirit. Did they beat her, or just thump their shovels on the ground? When they buried her, how long did they wait to make sure she had stopped breathing. My God! The naivety of people who think Peter was a nice kind old man in a long white beard who grieved at not being able to forgive these poor idiots just beggars belief!

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
<snip>The naivety of people who think Peter was a nice kind old man in a long white beard who grieved at not being able to forgive these poor idiots just beggars belief!

I agree with you here. This is more like something out of a stained glass window than a flesh and blood real person. That said you offer very polarised options between an out and out villain and the picture above.

The text is very sparse, and the only clues to Peter's feelings, which don't appear to be of much interest to the author, lie in the words he says. The text implies that the truth of Peter's statement is vindicated by the judgement that comes upon Ananias and Sapphira.

A hermeneutic of suspicion might suggest we seek clues for alternative readings of the events, but in the end there are so few clues that we are left with little more than surmise:
quote:
Why did Ananias drop dead? We cannot tell for sure… We cannot say that Peter deliberately scared Ananias to death. What is pretty clear… must, if proven, have carried some sort of penalty…. Everyone must surely have known… So what is likely?… I have read the chilling words of Spinoza's excommunication [some 1500 years later]. And I imagine Ananias was expecting… Any one with a weak heart... What is Peter's intent… I surmise… Did they beat her…? When they buried her, how long did they wait to make sure she had stopped breathing…

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I'm going to go further from the text.

I think that it's perfectly possible that what we have here is a version of a story that was going round the early church; I think it perfectly possible that Ananias topped himself in shame after being confronted. Sapphira - maybe she followed him; maybe she disappeared off the scene; excommunicate, spiritually dead to the somewhat severe tradition within the early church amongst whom this story was current.

It seems as likely as any other interpretation.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
Sorry, I thought I'd made it clear that the charge of murder applies only to Sapphira. Why did Ananias drop dead? We cannot tell for sure. ied of fright, perhaps, like the man in the OT who accidentally touched the Ark of the Covenant.

We cannot say that Peter deliberately scared Ananias to death. What is pretty clear is that the charge of lying against the Holy Spirit must, if proven, have carried some sort of penalty in the community. Everyone must surely have known that Jesus said that a sin against the Holy Spirit was the only one that could not be forgiven. So what is likely? For cheating - telling off and a public humiliation, perhaps. But for the totally unforgiveable sin against the
Holy Spirit, surely the sanction would have been the severest available to the community. Not just a public telling off, but banishment.

Am I exaggerating things? Look, the man did drop dead. I have read the chilling words of Spinoza's excommunication. And I imagine Ananias was expecting something along those lines. Any one with a weak heart...

But then Sapphira appears. Three hours later, was it? Yes, Look at what Peter said, and did. Look first at what he didn't say. No warning not to lie, no news about her husband - that's kept in reserve. No encouragement to confess and seek forgiveness.

And the killer? What is Peter's intent -even before Sapphira turns up? He tells her: "The men who buried your husband are at the door - and they will carry you out."

Having seen - perhaps to his surprise - the demise of Ananias, I surmise (I think reasonably) that Peter saw no reason why the woman should get away with it. She must have been in cahoots with her husband (because that's the way women are - like Eve!) and he goes about making it easy for the Lord to take her spirit. Did they beat her, or just thump their shovels on the ground? When they buried her, how long did they wait to make sure she had stopped breathing. My God! The naivety of people who think Peter was a nice kind old man in a long white beard who grieved at not being able to forgive these poor idiots just beggars belief!

That's just a long list of conjectures and non sequiturs. Neither does a rejection of them amount to the kind of naivety you suggest in your last sentence. It could just be that both died because, as St. Peter put it, they "lied to the Holy Ghost", just as the text says. I don't know what the problem with the account is.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You know, on second thoughts, it would have been far easier just to poison the pair of them. Quietly, off stage somewhere, and avoid the messy questions. If your theory that Peter had a grudge is correct.

It would have been far easier for Luke not to include this story in his 'account'.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
quote:

It would have been far easier for Luke not to include this story in his 'account'.
I think the whole point of the story is included in the final verse: and great fear came upon the church and all who heard of these things.
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the general subject of who killed Ananias and Sapphira, I think there are two particularly obvious possibilities.

God - because lying to the church about what you've given is a particularly terrible sin. I've seen little evidence that this is the sort of thing God regularly intervenes to do. Indeed it seems a curious set of priorities. Meanwhile Pol Pot, Hitler etc left alone.

Or Peter. Let's see, what do we know about Peter? 1. He has a pretty violent impetuous streak. 2. He lies.

If we changed the names and called them something other than Peter and A&S and set it in another place, I am pretty sure that the obvious suspect would be the human with a history of violence and lying.

How did he kill them? Who knows? They started arguing and he beat one of them to death. Or he strangled them? Or suffocated them.

Of the millions of unexpected premature deaths over the past 2000 years that would surely be what we would think the most likely explanation to explore initially.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luigi:
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
quote:

I think the whole point of the story is included in the final verse: and great fear came upon the church and all who heard of these things.
That doesn't explain what the point for the intended audience is.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On the general subject of who killed Ananias and Sapphira, I think there are two particularly obvious possibilities.

God - because lying to the church about what you've given is a particularly terrible sin. I've seen little evidence that this is the sort of thing God regularly intervenes to do. Indeed it seems a curious set of priorities. Meanwhile Pol Pot, Hitler etc left alone.

Or Peter. Let's see, what do we know about Peter? 1. He has a pretty violent impetuous streak. 2. He lies.

If we changed the names and called them something other than Peter and A&S and set it in another place, I am pretty sure that the obvious suspect would be the human with a history of violence and lying.

How did he kill them? Who knows? They started arguing and he beat one of them to death. Or he strangled them? Or suffocated them.

Of the millions of unexpected premature deaths over the past 2000 years that would surely be what we would think the most likely explanation to explore initially.

That rather depends upon where you're coming from. If one happens to be an atheist (or one just doesn't like St. Peter) that might probably seem like the most reasonable explanation. Nevertheless that remains nothing more than conjecture and is entirely outside the text.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Well, since we're continuing to speculate-without-text, I'll maybe top it off: Maybe A&S (and Peter,too!) were not real people at all, and the whole thing is a completely fictional tale intended to scare the bejabbers out of people who don't fork over enough dough.

Have we reached the logical end of the road yet?

Come on, somebody deconstruct THIS.

--------------------

Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

Hi LC. Yes there is some speculation in there but there is a great deal of evidence to back up most of it.

Peter's violent streak and the fact he lies are both in the text - as you know. So no disagreement there.

Further people tend to be most dishonest when they have done something wrong. Also plenty of evidence that quite a few humans throughout history have acted as I suggest. Again hard to dispute.

Finally there is no evidence that I am aware of that God frequently punishes people who lie about their giving to the church. I even know people who have done this and are still alive.

Which brings me onto Ad Orientem's claim that if someone is an atheist or doesn't like Peter it is only to them that my take is plausible. I'd suggest that if you took 100 people at random then plenty of agnostics, moderate liberals and those of other faiths would find my take much more plausible as well as the out and out atheists. I'd guess at over 80%.

Be honest the vast majority of people outside conservative Christianity would find my take much more credible. Doesn't mean it is right but it should at least be considered seriously.

[ 11. September 2015, 21:11: Message edited by: Luigi ]

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Again that's just pure speculation and not provable. And what is this about St. Peter's "violent streak" or have I missed something? Or lying (that is if this is not a reference to his denying Christ thrice)? And why should those who lie to the Holy Spirit be struck dead 100% by necessity for the account to be credible?
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

Of course it is not provable, even science doesn't really do that, only maths does. We are talking what is most likely.

Re Peter's violent streak? I'll just mention Malchus, ears and swords? - sounds pretty violent to me. More violent than anyone I know.

His denial of Jesus. A blatant lie stated three times.

Re. Your point that it is not necessary for 100% of people who lie about how much collection they put in the collection box to be struck down, to demonstrate this possibility. Of course you are right, however 20% being struck down would be much more convincing that God does fairly often react to this sin in this way.

[ 11. September 2015, 21:44: Message edited by: Luigi ]

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Come on, somebody deconstruct THIS.

Well, isn't the whole A&S thing off topic if the topic is "unforgivable sin"?

Sure A&S end up dead; we all end up dead. Death is not a major issue - Jesus ended up dead (until his Daddy resurrected him), Peter was crucified, Paul killed, endless nameless-to-us people persecuted to death, still happening today. (Lazarus died twice.)

Physical death is not the issue, and if the Near Death Experience reports are true we'll all be quite pleased to have died.

Death of the eternal soul, that's an issue but no particular reason to think A%S eternally dead.

Back to the unforgivable sin -- Very possible there is no literal unforgivable sin. Jesus talks a lot in parables and exaggerated imagery, why wouldn't the thought that God is incapable of forgiving something or someone be one of the exaggerations? An extreme imagery to make a point - don't blow off God by making up stories for sport or personal advantage. ("Give me 10% gross and God will bless you, ha ha." Not because you'll be punished but because your deceit blinds you from seeing what matters, you suffer spiritual indigestion that diminishes your own life, unnecessarily.

Like the Narnia people who refused to move past the first threshold, when we refuse to see what is offered, we suffer loss of potential joy without even knowing. The warning is an effort to wake us up so we can see and enjoy more.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's quite a universalist thought Belle Ringer. The stubborn fact remains that Jesus teaching suggests that there is a sin against the HS that God will not forgive.

Could this be made sense of in the context of our refusal to forgive remembering that his forgiveness of our transgressions is contingent upon our forgiveness of the sins of others against us. No easy thing to forgive things like adultery in a spouse for instance.

However one reading of Matt : 12,13 I heard convincingly put is that the Jewish leaders of the time calling The son of God demon possessed, was in fact a 'national' sin. It represented the rejection of messiah by that generation of Israel and consequently light and understanding was divinely withdrawn from them.

The inference for us then becomes that a national sin cannot be committed by an individual. Consequently no individual is out of God's reach to restore and forgive.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
Could this be made sense of in the context of our refusal to forgive remembering that his forgiveness of our transgressions is contingent upon our forgiveness of the sins of others against us.

Is it contingent? I thought there was a general universal "Father, forgive them" from the cross days before anyone else got around to forgiving others.
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
quote:
Could this be made sense of in the context of our refusal to forgive remembering that his forgiveness of our transgressions is contingent upon our forgiveness of the sins of others against us.

Is it contingent? I thought there was a general universal "Father, forgive them" from the cross days before anyone else got around to forgiving others.
Yes check the parable of the unforgiving servant and also the Lord's Prayer. "As we forgive those" suggest contingency.

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer
Jesus talks a lot in parables and exaggerated imagery, why wouldn't the thought that God is incapable of forgiving something or someone be one of the exaggerations?

I saw two teenagers do a skit once. One of them was just standing there when the other bounded in carrying a large, gift-wrapped package. He said,
"I've found the most wonderful present for you. As soon as I saw it I knew you would love it."
The other replied,
"You are always so generous and thoughtful"
The would-be giver said,
"This is such a perfect thing for you."
"You're one of the kindest and most generous people I know."
"I can't wait to see your face when you open it."

This went on for several more exchanges, but the intended recipient never reached out to accept the gift. The other finally put it down at his feet, while the other did not move a muscle.

The point of this is that you cannot give someone something if they will not reach out to receive it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Jesus talks a lot in parables and exaggerated imagery, why wouldn't the thought that God is incapable of forgiving something or someone be one of the exaggerations?

I saw two teenagers do a skit once. One of them was just standing there when the other bounded in carrying a large, gift-wrapped package. He said,
"I've found the most wonderful present for you. As soon as I saw it I knew you would love it."
The other replied,
"You are always so generous and thoughtful"
The would-be giver said,
"This is such a perfect thing for you."
"You're one of the kindest and most generous people I know."
"I can't wait to see your face when you open it."

This went on for several more exchanges, but the intended recipient never reached out to accept the gift. The other finally put it down at his feet, while the other did not move a muscle.

The point of this is that you cannot give someone something if they will not reach out to receive it.

Moo

To me the word "unforgiveable" means your begging to be forgiven is rejected. What you have done (or who you are) is too terrible to be forgiven. You must never be allowed to join society.

I don't see in your story any hint of *God* saying "I reject you, I refuse to love or accept you."

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
To me the word "unforgiveable" means your begging to be forgiven is rejected. What you have done (or who you are) is too terrible to be forgiven. You must never be allowed to join society.

I don't see in your story any hint of *God* saying "I reject you, I refuse to love or accept you." [/QB]

My understanding of forgiveness as a concept is that God forgives when someone repents of sin. Now I have never heard that anyone who was repentant was refused forgiveness. In RC that is the basis of confession and absolution. Unforgivable then suggests unrepentant and further that what God withholds is not forgiveness but repentance.

Now then if repentance is a gift offered and also WE are responsible to repent to receive forgiveness but through much intractable behaviour and pride we don't, we reach the stage perhaps where we cannot and consequently place ourselves in the outer darkness. Repentance and therefore forgiveness in legal terms requires both an offer( from God,and an acceptance, (from us). A two way transaction.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Christian forgiveness is unconditional.

And deliverance from evil does not have to involve any acceptance at all.

--------------------
Love wins

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Hi LC. Yes there is some speculation in there but there is a great deal of evidence to back up most of it.

Peter's violent streak and the fact he lies are both in the text - as you know. So no disagreement there.

Further people tend to be most dishonest when they have done something wrong. Also plenty of evidence that quite a few humans throughout history have acted as I suggest. Again hard to dispute.

Finally there is no evidence that I am aware of that God frequently punishes people who lie about their giving to the church. I even know people who have done this and are still alive.

Which brings me onto Ad Orientem's claim that if someone is an atheist or doesn't like Peter it is only to them that my take is plausible. I'd suggest that if you took 100 people at random then plenty of agnostics, moderate liberals and those of other faiths would find my take much more plausible as well as the out and out atheists. I'd guess at over 80%.

Be honest the vast majority of people outside conservative Christianity would find my take much more credible. Doesn't mean it is right but it should at least be considered seriously.

What I was asking is, if you are prepared to throw the text out the window in terms of its understanding-of-events (e.g. divine intervention, identity of wrongdoers, etc.), then why in the heck would you bother to keep the rest of the text--that is, its description of who-said-what and who-did-what-when?

If the text is as untrustworthy as you suppose, it would be more consistent to assume that the whole thing was fabricated.

What would be the point of telling the truth about what happened in physical terms while at the same time completely misrepresenting the social/psych/emotional/spiritual meaning? That only makes sense if the events are already well-known and you are trying to put a different spin on it. But this is not the case with A & S.If Luke hadn't included this episode in Acts, who today would have a single clue who A & S were? Nobody. And even in Luke's own day, I suspect precious few people outside Jerusalem itself knew A & S.

If Luke had the intention of glorifying Peter and/or vilifying A & S (both contrary to fact), the easiest way of doing it would be to simply shut up. Avoid drawing attention to the story. Let history bury it. There are plenty of other things to write about, after all. Glam one of those up. Use the "Oh look, a squirrel!" technique. Don't be a doofus and drag the whole matter out into the public eye for everyone to examine again. This is media management 101.

(and please, PLEASE note that my argument against yours has nothing to do with me being a Christian, or orthodox, or a Peter-praiser. It has to do with me being a trained rhetorician.)

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Okay, going to address something else here--not because it's going to change anybody's mind, obviously, but because I have some extra pixels to burn, and that's just how I roll.

People keep bringing up the sin of lying and getting freaked out about the punishment. Either you say "It's way out of proportion, how could a good God do any such thing!" or you say "But people have been lying for 2000 years since then, and nobody else has gotten zapped that we know of."

Second point first, because it's simpler. There is such a thing as making an example of a situation--of dealing strongly with ONE typical instance of a thing, usually very very early in a community's history, in the hopes that you will never have to do so again. Or at least more rarely.

This is the principle that makes even some non-spanking parents (like me) swat their children's butts the first time they run into street traffic. The transgression is so dangerous that the first occurrence needs to be deal with memorably. There's no denying that the A & S story has been memorable--here we are arguing about it 2000 years later. You may argue about whether it has had any deterrent effect on a) lying or b) testing the Holy Spirit--unfortunately, deterrent effects will never be known till the Last Day, as if they occur, by their very nature they leave no evidence. (Plus people just don't rock up to a survey taker and say "I was considering testing the Holy Spirit last week by seeing if I got caught in a lie, but then I read this story and decided not to.")

Okay. Leaving that point to lie there for the vultures to descend upon--

Is the sin serious enough to merit death? Now we're getting into your personal view of sin. Is it simply a mistake, an error, something excusable and even endearing because it speaks of human frailty? If so, A & S dying is going to look like a wild over-reaction--and I'm not going to change your mind on that. I won't try.

But if you're interested in how the other camp sees sin, it is this. Sin is a cancer. It is anti-life, anti-happiness, anti-community. If it goes unchecked, particularly when it is deliberate and pre-planned, it has the potential to destroy the sinner and to take out a lot of the people around him/her, too. Because sin never stops with just one. It multiplies, it breeds.

In this case we have a particularly scary kind of sin because this is the newborn Christian community. We are in Jerusalem, the very root of the new Christian church. We are in the infancy of the faith, and the new community is so young that they still have the innocence to attempt communal living without (as of yet) safeguards against corruption. They are also attracting new converts like crazy--converts who will definitely be badly damaged if this kind of shit is allowed to take root in the baby church.

I'm going to emphasize the deliberate, preplanned corruption of this sin. It was not a half-accidental "Sorry for stepping on your toes, guys" similar to the food distribution problem that got the Hellenic Jews all upset. It was a planned lie, and more than that, a clear bid for illegitimate power in the young church. This is a public gift; A & S are in line to achieve a fair amount of influence in the young church, if only the influence of gratitude and respect. Not content with that, they aim to big themselves up by making the sacrifice look greater than it is.

They are also incidentally testing the apostles' leadership, most likely with an eye to future chess moves. "Do they really have a pipeline to God or not--is this Holy Spirit real or not--can they tell when we're pulling a fast one?" If they succeed in pulling the wool over the apostles' eyes (NOT just Peter!, look at the text), well, then, their future as powers in the church is only limited by their own cleverness. But if there really is a god paying attention....

I suspect the church was young enough that there had never been a similar bid for power yet. After all, it was a very small group--but one with explosive growth potential. Would-be movers and shakers had overlooked the baby church as a field of action; but they would not do so for much longer. I really think A & S were unlucky in being the first schemers of this sort to try their plans on the infant church; and as usual, the first example gets dealt with harshly.

It might also be worth considering that death is not the worst possible fate that can happen to people. That would be damnation. And nothing in the text says that A & S were damned. We may certainly hope for better. But if God (NOT Peter!) chose to inflict death in a situation of the sort I've described above, I'm certainly not going to call him unjust.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

Was that addressed to me Martin? If so I beg to differ. That is like saying you can earn money without working. Grace of course is a gift. However we do have some work to do to take advantage of it. Repentance, in some measure depends on us, viz our understanding of the need to and the willingness to act on that understanding. IMV Christian forgiveness is not a free lunch.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
People keep bringing up the sin of lying and getting freaked out about the punishment...

...I'm going to emphasize the deliberate, preplanned corruption of this sin... It was a clear bid for illegitimate power in the young church.

They are also incidentally testing the apostles' leadership, most likely with an eye to future chess moves....

It might also be worth considering that death is not the worst possible fate that can happen to people. That would be damnation. And nothing in the text says that A & S were damned.

I have long suspected we are missing part of the story, or failing to notice something in it, because if a minor lie or bit of normal human selfishness meant death, why didn't everyone leave the church, wanting no part of that brutal game?

Instead, a couple verses later we hear that more were being added to the church daily. That's an improbable response to a harshly unfair punishment, so it seems the church members didn't see it as excessive! And they didn't think themselves in danger of sudden death on some apostle's whim, or they would have been fleeing the church instead of running to it.

A&S had no need to lie - the money was rightly theirs, they had no obligation to give any of it, nor all of it. So the lie wasn't really about money, it was about something more important than mere money.

LC's explanation that A&S were doing a deceptive and destructive power play makes sense. Was there any effective way to stop the destructive game other than death? God alone knows; I've seen people try a deceptive power play, if they get blocked they just try again a different way, and then again yet another way, because power is their real goal and they don't care who gets hurt in the process. I have met people who are not happy unless they have succeeded in destroying something - a marriage, a business, a Usenet group, a church.

That there was a lie involved doesn't mean it was all just an inflated ruckus over a "little white lie."

Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

Lamb Chopped said:
quote:

What I was asking is, if you are prepared to throw the text out the window in terms of its understanding-of-events (e.g. divine intervention, identity of wrongdoers, etc.), then why in the heck would you bother to keep the rest of the text--that is, its description of who-said-what and who-did-what-when?

That is exactly why it is important to keep as much of the detail the same. A lie is most plausible when a story is largely the same but it is changed in just one very important way. It is easier to keep stories straight and it has that all important detail that makes it sound authentic.
quote:

If the text is as untrustworthy as you suppose, it would be more consistent to assume that the whole thing was fabricated.

No it wouldn't. That would be totally ludicrous. My claim that there could be an important distortion in a text does not mean that the whole thing was fabricated. Any historian, or anthropologist of ancient religion or ethnographer who assumed that one could only work with pure texts - one in which there is no selectivity or distortions because of the agenda of the community concerned - would quite probably end up with hardly any evidence for anything. They would probably have to dismiss almost all texts they encountered.

When confronted with a text that seems to serve a community's purposes a good academic will work out which parts are most reliable and which are not.

As to why would they tell this story - well for exactly the reason that you suggest in the second of your two posts. With your reading of the story the message is: "don't lie to the leaders of the church or else!" Clearly this message serves a purpose for the early church leaders - even if they were repeating Peter's spin on events, unaware of what had really happened.

In my reading - the obvious reading if it was encountered anywhere other than in the Bible - Peter gets away with another case of extreme violence. In my reading (let's say) Peter got into an argument and in the brawl that followed he ended up killing A, so yes Ananias did fall down dead but it wasn't God it was Peter who did it. The killing of Sapphira then became a good idea, as Peter's story would only work if they both copped it. The purpose of spinning this version of events is, it gets Peter off the hook and makes it seem as if God gets as annoyed with people who lie to the early church, as the church leaders themselves! Simples.

quote:

(and please, PLEASE note that my argument against yours has nothing to do with me being a Christian, or orthodox, or a Peter-praiser. It has to do with me being a trained rhetorician.)

And they taught you that all texts should be regarded as 100% reliable. Really?

Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

Sorry wrote this earlier and thought I'd lost it...

I am saying that everything about this text reeks of human violence being disguised as divine violence.

Perhaps an example from India would help here.

There is an ancient Indian ritual called Suttee.

Widows fling themselves on the funeral pyre of their husbands in an act of self sacrifice. Stories that come out of these remote villages will sometimes refer to the funeral pyre being lit by God.

The journey from 'God allowed this to happen... to God wanted it to happen... to God did it' is very short and can happen in just weeks or less! Exactly what I am suggesting in the A and S case.

Human violence being clumsily disguised as divine violence is as old as the hills. All it needs is for it to hide some guilt and serve a community's purposes.

To respond to 'I don't believe that God lit the funeral pyre,' with 'in that case, why shouldn't we think that all stories of Suttee are made up' would be extremely bizarre.

[ 13. September 2015, 21:43: Message edited by: Luigi ]

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

That is like saying you can earn money without working. Grace of course is a gift. However we do have some work to do... IMV Christian forgiveness is not a free lunch.
"Free lunches" are common -- children, the sick, the infirm, people whose spouse earns enough to allow a non-earner to do charity or social activities instead of a job, investments, pensions, welfare support. If you get a job at 20, quit at 65, and die at 90, much of your lifetime is a free lunch. The analogy doesn't work. [Smile]

I don't see any reason to believe we have to "do something" to be acceptable to God.

The idea that you have to repent before you can be forgiven causes resentments and wars to continue because *my* failure to repent (or to be aware there's anything to repent about) causes *you* to cling to anger at what I (unknowingly?) did wrong.

Forgiving when not asked to forgive opens the door to healthy relationship. (Healthy relationship includes being aware of the other person's personality defects so you can take steps to avoid getting hurt. And they need to protect themselves against your personality defects. With forgiveness and awareness you can be mutually supportive friends. Lacking either forgiveness or awareness can be dangerous.)

Jesus said to forgive again and again and again and again and again; he did not say "forgive only if they repent first, if they don't repent you get to nurse the grudge forever."

Forgiveness is a free lunch: I like that -- come feast at God's table! You are forgiven. Spread the Good News.

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Belle Ringer:I don't see any reason to believe we have to "do something" to be acceptable to God.
Well you are right of course. We cannot in any sense make ourselves acceptable to God but my point is that He reaches out to us, offering forgiveness and we have to respond. If not there is no contract or bargain or what ever you want to call it, possible. Above I described it in legal terms as 'Offer and acceptance'. If God makes you an offer, do not you have to respond to seal the deal?

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
quote:
Belle Ringer:I don't see any reason to believe we have to "do something" to be acceptable to God.
I described it in legal terms as 'Offer and acceptance'. If God makes you an offer, do not you have to respond to seal the deal?
I don't think it works that way. I agree with Martin.

There is a range of common theologies, including opt, opt out, God wins totally. Lots of variations on each of these.

Yours sounds to me like a version of opt in - you are lost unless you take affirmative steps to be saved. If someone doesn't know what steps, or doesn't understand the instructions correctly, or doesn't hear the message, they lose!

I don't believe there is an offer that needs affirmative acceptance. Instead, there is a state of reality - God has already won, totally.

Picture being in a row boat on a powerful current - you can enjoy the ride, you can puzzle over the ride, you can (uselessly) fight against the current, you can pretend the current has changed direction, you can lots of things but the reality is you will end up where the current takes you - into God's arms. No choice. God has won, at least 2000 years ago.

You can make things harder on yourself, like complain constantly instead of appreciating the beauty in your life, but that's like a 2 year old's tantrum, ineffective to change anything, amusing to the parent who knows tantrums are brief and the kid will soon be happily be playing in the sandbox again.

We are children to God.

No good parent abandons their child, not for any reason, especially not for something as abstract as "failure to legally accept a legal offer." Kids aren't competent to make legally binding decisions.

You are forgiven. You are loved. Nothing you do or don't do can ever change that because God's nature is forgiveness and love, with no limits or exclusions.

That's the good news.

What some call "good news" - "God has won a limited victory -- you are saved but your grandmother and your husband and your childhood best friend are in eternal torment" -- is very bad news! I see no hint that early believers mourned a presumed eternal damnation of their relatives who didn't choose to become Christian.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Belle Ringer. Preach it sister!

Jamat, you describe how it works for you. That's more than valid. It doesn't work that way for me at all: I describe what works for me and what will work for - DA DAH! - Hitler and IS.

Prevenient, outrageous, unconditional, unfair, free grace.

Even Satan himself may be sweetened in his bitterness by the unfolding of that in the resurrection.

NOBODY can possibly know otherwise.

--------------------
Love wins

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
I agree with Martin.
Welcome to the world of fuzzy logic. The question though 'Neo,' is, is it the REAL world,
you know, the Bible based one?

--------------------

Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

quote:
Okay, going to address something else here--not because it's going to change anybody's mind, obviously, but because I have some extra pixels to burn, and that's just how I roll.

People keep bringing up the sin of lying and getting freaked out about the punishment. Either you say "It's way out of proportion, how could a good God do any such thing!" or you say "But people have been lying for 2000 years since then, and nobody else has gotten zapped that we know of."

Second point first, because it's simpler. There is such a thing as making an example of a situation--of dealing strongly with ONE typical instance of a thing, usually very very early in a community's history, in the hopes that you will never have to do so again. Or at least more rarely.

This is the principle that makes even some non-spanking parents (like me) swat their children's butts the first time they run into street traffic. The transgression is so dangerous that the first occurrence needs to be deal with memorably.

Well this seems a particularly inept way of dealing with humans / children. Dealing with one example of bad behaviour early on in an extreme way and then doing nothing for year upon year (millennia upon millennia) is just hopeless and shows a poor understanding of human psychology. No vaguely competent child psychologist or teacher trainer would advocate such a clueless approach.

Using your analogy re children, I have worked with trainee teachers and if any of them approached behaviour management in such a way they would fail their teaching placement – their classroom management would be appalling. Consistency and clarity are at the heart of helping children understand what is acceptable and what isn’t. The God you depict is totally hopeless at both of these.

Finally your point that death ain’t that bad, as at least it is better than damnation. That line of argument is one way of justifying God ordained genocide. But then you are no doubt aware of that.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016