homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Do not enter until the doors have opened (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Do not enter until the doors have opened
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[slight tangent]

I've heard it said that Scottish accents are regarded as nice and comforting, and that the purest form of English is found in an Inverness accent.

I was born in Inverness, so no bias there whatsoever ... [Devil]

In fairness, I was only there for six weeks, most of it spent in an incubator, which isn't quite long enough to pick up an accent. [Biased]

If I had a fiver for every time someone's said "I love your accent", I could probably retire.

[/slight tangent OFF]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Leaving Glasgow Queen Street, the live announcement included "please remember that nail varnish is banned on all trains". I queried this with the person sitting opposite and apparently there had been incidents (plural)involving spilt polish when women had been painting their nails on the train.

You would have thought that warnings against "Buckie" or "Electric Soup" were more likely. Are these things of the past?
*Casts mind back* Actually, I think drunks on trains are on the decrease. Or perhaps I'm just getting older and drunks are more interested in annoying younger women. The last pissed group I saw on a train was a hen party, and I think they were on the prosecco.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
[slight tangent]

I've heard it said that Scottish accents are regarded as nice and comforting, and that the purest form of English is found in an Inverness accent.

I've been thinking for a while that this thread needs the immortal Burnistoun Eleven sketch (warning: NSFW language, if you can understand it).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Sipech:

quote:
I don't travel much on London's Victoria line these days, but when I did a year or two ago, there was frequently a Rastafarian announcer who would wish peace on everyone, tell them to have a lovely day and spread love.

He's still there at Victoria station. A couple of months ago my Victoria line train went through the station one morning in rush hour when the District Line was suffering from "minor delays". You'll have to imagine the Caribbean accent, but his announcement went something like this:

"I'm telling you, people, the District Line is sick this morning. It's sick, sick, sick, you hear what I'm saying? So you'll all need to find another way to get where you're going. But if you're lost don't worry, you come and talk to me and I'll help you out."

He's definitely one of the most popular platform announcers on London underground.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I've heard him too. He used to enliven my wife's journey to work. Long may he flourish!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Actually, I think drunks on trains are on the decrease. Or perhaps I'm just getting older and drunks are more interested in annoying younger women. The last pissed group I saw on a train was a hen party, and I think they were on the prosecco.

They might have
more difficulty in the future ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once at Edinburgh Haymarket station I heard the tannoy announce that the next train on platform 4 would be followed at once by another so the first one would go right up the platform. "Will passengers for X kindly make their way further up the platform." No one moved. The voice resumed "I said up the platform. That means right away there where youse can see the gorse bushes. If you want the train you need to get there before it gets here!"

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baptist Trainfan, Chamois, put me down as a mishog, then. I cannot stand the bloke. The last thing I want when I'm battling with the District Line in the rush hour is someone being loud and cheerful. Just do your job and let us get to ours.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always assumed that this song was based on a real announcement somewhere. Does anyone know?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Baptist Trainfan, Chamois, put me down as a mishog, then. I cannot stand the bloke. The last thing I want when I'm battling with the District Line in the rush hour is someone being loud and cheerful. Just do your job and let us get to ours.

M.

You probably wouldn't enjoy the Toronto Airport baggage handler (I've met him both times that I've flown home from there) -- he goes through all of the standard instructions for checking baggage and going through security but as sort of a rap and with a great sense of humor (I guess "humour" since it's in Canada). Why not put a smile on people's faces while doing what would otherwise be a boring job?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From time to time we get a genuinely amusing announcer on the train. I guess he's probably just as bored with the standard nanny-type announcements as we are. I wouldn't want it every night but a sprinkling of humour now and again does go some way and it's nice when most of the carriage breaks into laughter. (The rest still have their earphones in or ears welded to their mobiles.)
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I've always assumed that this song was based on a real announcement somewhere. Does anyone know?

Don't know about source, but I first heard it in 1958 in my first year at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL, USA. (Sung to me by a female student who learned it from her father. She only had the first two stanzas, however.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Purely fictitious, of course, but I loved the airport parking instructions in the 70s era parody Airplane!

quote:
P.A. SYSTEM (female v.o.)
The white zone is for immediate loading
and unloading of passengers only. There is
no stopping in the red zone.

P.A. SYSTEM (male v.o.)
The red zone is for immediate loading and
unloading of passengers. There is no
stopping in the white zone.

No. The white zone is for loading and
unloading, and there is no stopping in the
red zone.

P.A. SYSTEM (male v.o.)
The red zone has always been for loading
and unloading, and there is never stopping
in a white zone.

Don't tell me which zone is for stopping
and which zone is for loading.

P.A. SYSTEM (male v.o.)
Listen, Betty. Don't start up with your
white zone shit again!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Purely fictitious, of course, but I loved the airport parking instructions in the 70s era parody Airplane!

So did I -- in the thread that led Miss Amanda to start this thread!

quote:
Sorry, one more continuation of the tangent, just to suggest that Los Angeles should employ these two.

--------------------
~Tortuf

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
“Please allow passengers off the train first. Please allow passengers off the train first… Oh go on then, cram yourselves in like sardines. See if I care.”

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I can recall seeing signs in railroad toilets asking passengers not to flush toilets while the train is in the station. Given the fact that the toilet contents went directly onto the track beneath, this was a very sensible sign.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016