homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Crowd Sourced Chess (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Crowd Sourced Chess
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We might use the 24 hour rule. If a proposal is made (this side must win now, this side must lose now, I reckon a draw is a fair outcome) then unless it is countermanded by someone making a move within 24 hours, then the proposal is accepted. But that process may be speeded up by positive support on both sides, as suggested.

(And who fancies biting on the bullet and making a Black move?)

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I can play black again?

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

13. White - Bishop to b3: Black - Bishop to f3 taking Knight
14. White - Queen to c4: Black - Queen to e8
15. White - Pawn to f3, taking Bishop: Black - Knight to a5
16. White - Queen to c7, taking Pawn: Black - Knight to b3 taking Bishop
17. White - Pawn to b3, taking Knight: Black - Queen to c8
18. White - Queen to c8 taking Queen (check): Black - Rook takes Queen on c8
19. White - Rook to a7, taking Pawn: Black - Rook to c3, taking pawn

Current board

[Edited to remove some superfluous UBB tags; I didn't change my move]

[ 14. April 2016, 12:09: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Third and final in this sequence from me.

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

20. White - Rook to b7, taking pawn:

And I reckon it's a winning endgame for White, either after 20 .....Rxp(f3) or 20 ....Bxp(d4)

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamestate - Moves 1-12

20. White - Rook to b7 taking Pawn

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
X-post of the same move! If you want to take mine as official, even though later, allowing you to play another, that's fine with me.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

And I reckon it's a winning endgame for White, either after 20 .....Rxp(f3) or 20 ....Bxp(d4)

I certainly agree White is very well situated, but I'd like to see this play out some more if others are game. If for no other reason that that watching others' endgames can be very instructive.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamestate - Moves 1-12

20. White - Rook to b7, taking pawn: Black - Bishop takes Pawn on d4

Could be a winning position for white, but they could screw it up. Black finally has some decent presence in the centre of the board now.

On to the end game we go...

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sipech: Black finally has some decent presence in the centre of the board now.
Yes, that was the idea. Almost all of Black's pieces were blocked. Sure, we can move the pawns forward a bit, but White would have continued the threat on the King. That also has abated a bit now.

[ 14. April 2016, 12:53: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's still frustrating that black moved the king before castling, as that second rook is still as useful as a sledgehammer that's been kept in a locked cupboard and where you've lost the key.

[ 14. April 2016, 13:01: Message edited by: Sipech ]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Sipech: It's still frustrating that black moved the king before castling, as that second rook is still as useful as a sledgehammer that's been kept in a locked cupboard and where you've lost the key.
That was my fault, when I was playing White [Hot and Hormonal]

Since the end game is starting, the Black King will be moving forward at some point to help the attack on those pawns, opening that door for the Rook.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Adam.

No, I think we should stick to precedent, since I moved first. Let's see how the crowd-sourced endgame goes. Might well be instructive!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

(BTW, I think there is a clear winning sequence for White in this position [Big Grin] . But I resisted the temptation ...)

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Hmm, maybe my time to switch back to White again [Smile]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

LeRoc

Do you see what I see?

[Somewhat unseasonal, but a temptation I couldn't resist!]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Barnabas62: LeRoc

Do you see what I see?

No I don't. I see some rather strong moves for White but no winning move. I'll keep with Black for a while to see if I have an answer to what White can come up with.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Oh I see! I'll explain later on.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I think I have an idea what you have in mind. Or at least what I'd have done if I were White. I also think it's possible for Black to defend against it.

But you're not allowed to move … [Biased]

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Well, if no-one can play this wonderful thing they can see for White, I'll do something pedestrian but, I think, productive.

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

21. White - Pawn to f4.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

21. White - Pawn to f4 : Black - Rook to c2

*Sigh of relief*

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

21. White - Pawn to f4: Black - Rook to c2
22. White - Pawn to f5

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Now the position has changed significantly, this is what I saw. White had a simplifying combination starting at move 21. In PGN form this is the sequence.

21 Bg2 Rc3 (forced to avoid material loss) 22 BxB RxB 23 Rb8ch Kg7 24 RxR KxR 25 Rb1. This leaves a rook and pawn endgame in which White is 2 pawns up with a passed pawn on the Queen side and a pawn majority on the King side. Rook and pawn endings can sometimes be defended when a pawn or even two pawns down, but this one looks like an easy win for White.

[ 14. April 2016, 22:15: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I think your sequence starts with Bb2. Having two Rooks and a Bishop on a diagonal was not aa very safe position for Black.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

You're right. A typo on the iPhone. Sorry, folks.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

22. White - Pawn to f5: Black - Pawn to f5, taking pawn

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

I'm at my move limit for White, so just wanted to let you all know that I'll be traveling this weekend. Look forward to seeing how things pan out when I get back!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Adam.

I see why you think that, but I made move 20 for White before you did, which means you've only made two consecutive moves. But travel safely!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

A bit surprisingly, I'm seeing some reasonably interesting stuff for Black. Waiting for White to move.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Agreed. Quite tactical at this point.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

LeRoc

[A PS on my simplifying move sequence starting Bb2 (not Bg2 as you correctly spotted).]

I made another writing error for move 25 which I just spotted; the White Rook moves to e1 not b1. Either move probably wins but Re1 intending Re3 to defend the pawn on b3 is the move I preferred after the simplifying combination. Seemed better to keep the Rook more central. Unfortunately I just wrote the wrong one down. Must take more care!

[ 17. April 2016, 00:41: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Le Roc would be so kind as to do an updated boardstate diagram with pieces in the places given from the corrected moves, it would be very helpful.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

This is where we are right now; it's White's turn.

[ 17. April 2016, 11:30: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

23. White - Bishop to g5

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

23. White - Bishop to g5: Black - Bishop to f6

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Multiple threats from both sides on this stage. I'm a bit busy right know but I'm curious to see how this will pan out.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Yes, it's quite different to the technical Rook and Pawn endgame I was envisaging just a few moves ago. Fascinating position.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I do think the best option for White here is to accept the exchange.

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

24. White - Bishop to f6 taking Bishop

Board

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

24. White - Bishop to f6 taking Bishop: Black - Bishop to g8, check

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm assuming you meant a Rook instead of a Bishop. I've edited the move accordingly.

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

24. White - Bishop to f6 taking Bishop: Black - Rook to g8, check
25. White - King to h1

At least all the effort Black did to mess up White's pawn structure finally paid off [Smile]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

25. White - King to h1: Black - pawn to f6, taking Bishop

(sorry about the move typo, you were right of course. I think I've got this one right!)

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

No problem.

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

26. White - Rook to d1

Board

[Edited to make my move bold; I didn't change it.]

[ 18. April 2016, 18:28: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

26. White - Rook to d1: Black - Rook to c8

I think that is the best way of avoiding the back rank mate. And that's my three in a row!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I think it was the only way to avoid the check-mate? Well, it was worth a try [Smile]

My three moves are up too.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

There was Ke8.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Barnabas62: There was Ke8.
Ah yes, I see. Of course, after this move White could have repeated the mate threat by 27. Ra1.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Which, of course, forces Rc8. I think White is winning in this position, but there are mutual backrank mate threats. It will be interesting to see what other members of the crowd make of this!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised how strong Black still is at this point. This is the board right now, it's White's turn. Curious to see how this will pan out.

[ 18. April 2016, 23:40: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

27. White - Pawn to f5 taking Pawn

[ 19. April 2016, 07:17: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I am inclined to think we should play to mate or stalemate (x3 repeated moves I think it is), unless the game stalls for lack of participation. Simply because with multiple players, assumptions on how the endgame will play out are much less reliable when we're not in a one on one game.

If we were to go with proposed endings, I'd favour some variant of Barnabus62's suggestion.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

OK. But some positions are so lost that playing on is a waste of everyone's time. King and Queen, or Rook, or two Bishops, or Bishop and knight, versus lone King are well known in this category. Playing on as the lone King can only be in the hope that the stronger team will make a mistake and stalemate you, or repeat the position three times. That can happen in an "over the board" game, but not in this form, where folks have a long time to consider their next move.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

27. White - Pawn to f5 taking Pawn: Black - Rook to g7

White should be able to push the material advantage (i.e. I don't think black can force a win, but let's see what those on the white team decide to do.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016