homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Crowd Sourced Chess (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Crowd Sourced Chess
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there was I, thinking you really wanted to see this endgame through to its end!

White can promote the b pawn to win the Black Rook by advancing the pawn to b7 and then checking the Black King with his Rook, provided that the Black King is on rank 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1. So the Black King must remain on rank 7 so that it can capture a checking White Rook. This inhibits Black's ability to defend his Kingside pawns against an attack on them by the White King. So ... what do you think? Must Black finally lose?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have another flight today, but I'd like to play Black a couple of moves from now.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, moonlitdoor.

Let's exchange Rooks, and maybe we'll find out:

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

Moves 21-30

31. White - Pawn to b5: Black - Rook to c5
32. White - Rook to d8: Black - Rook to f5, taking pawn
33. White - Rook from b6 to b8: Black - Rook to g5, check
34. White - King to h3: Black - King to h6
35. White - Rook to h8, check: Black - King to g6
36. White - Rook from b8 to g8, check: Black - Rook to g7
37. White - Pawn to b6: Black - Rook to b5
38. White - Rook to g7 taking Rook, check

My strategy to promote the pawn would be to try to move the Rook behind it somehow; perhaps I'm a Tarrasch purist.

Current board.

Re-posted, because of the page turn. Black to move. And if Black doesn't play King takes Rook on g7, I demand a recount!

[ 08. May 2016, 07:40: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

Moves 21-30

38. White - Rook to g7 taking Rook, check: Black - King to g7, takes rook

There really was no other rational move.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
White is goin to have to move his remaining rook, losing either the rook or the pawn in the b rank, I would have thought. Doubt its wise to lose the rook.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

posted by Barnabas62
So the Black King must remain on rank 7 so that it can capture a checking White Rook. This inhibits Black's ability to defend his Kingside pawns against an attack on them by the White King. So ... what do you think? Must Black finally lose?

I think white can win the h pawn but it seems that black can block white's h pawn by putting his king on h7. If he just leaves it there and doesn't capture it, can white make any progress ? If white tries to bring the king across to the b pawn it can be driven away by checks.

So my other idea is to bring the white king across while the pawn is still on b6. If white can get the king to b7, he can then look to move the rook out and bring it to the 6th rank, then play king to c7 opening the way for the pawn to advance. If checked he can interpose his rook on c6. Does that work ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

Moves 21-30

38. White - Rook to g7 taking Rook, check: Black - King to g7, takes Rook
39. White - Rook to b8

Again, I don't see any other move for White but to protect the b pawn from b8.

LeRoc clearly has some ideas about how to play the Black position, so I'm wondering if maybe it would be courteous to wait and give him a chance to try his hand?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Barnabas62: Again, I don't see any other move for White but to protect the b pawn from b8.
Exactly, and once again the Rook is on the wrong side [Smile]

quote:
Barnabas62: LeRoc clearly has some ideas about how to play the Black position, so I'm wondering if maybe it would be courteous to wait and give him a chance to try his hand?
Thank you. I don't really have a fixed plan for Black, I just think White's position is more complicated than it looks. (I'm still curious how that came to be.)

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

Moves 21-30

39. White - Rook to b8: Black - Rook to b2

My rook can do two things at once [Smile]

Current board.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

Moves 21-30

40. White - Pawn to b7

(Threat 40. ....RxP? 41. Rg8-ch and then 41. Pb8=Queen ch)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

Moves 21-30

40. White - Pawn to b7: Black - King to g6

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

(Interesting factoid: http://chess.stackexchange.com/questions/2506/what-is-the-average-length-of-a-game-of-chess )

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Gamestate - Moves 1-12

Moves 13-20

Moves 21-30

40. White - Pawn to b7: Black - King to g6

White wins

41 White - Rook to g8, check followed by
42 White - Pawn to b8 and Queens.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

LeRoc may want your 40th move for Black to be rescinded, DT!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You see, I thought I was protecting the black king with that move.

Also, no takebacks, tis what it is.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

The queened pawn can be taken immediately anyway.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Yes, the Queen can be captured on b8 by the Black Rook But the Black Rook is then captured immediately by the White Rook on g8, leaving White a Rook ahead.

Black has no counterthreats (e.g. to queen a pawn), so it's all over.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that the game is done, Barnabas, tell us what you were planning if Black just plays passively, moving the rook up and down the b file. I could not see how white can win it, which is why I thought of trying to get the king to b7.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

The Black King shouldn't have gone to row 6.

quote:
moonlitdoor: Now that the game is done, Barnabas, tell us what you were planning if Black just plays passively, moving the rook up and down the b file. I could not see how white can win it, which is why I thought of trying to get the king to b7.
Exactly. It wouldn't even have to be passive: the Black Rook could have done a lot of damage on the b line, giving multiple checks and attacking pawns, while the White Rook was stuck at b8.

[ 08. May 2016, 18:33: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Barnabas62: LeRoc may want your 40th move for Black to be rescinded, DT!
Heh yes [Smile]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I apologise for my lack of chess nous, do we want to end here and start a new game then ?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

No problem at all, it was a fun game. I really like the three moves rule. It's just enough to do something, but won't let anyone dominate the game. And also yes, this crowd-sourcing gives some unexpected positions sometimes [Smile] I'm all for starting a new game.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

NEW GAME

Your move folks !

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

1. White - Pawn to e4

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Having done that, a quick reply to moonlitdoor and LeRoc re a plan for White if Black went passive. I thought the position was probably drawn after it became R&3P v R&2P so I was just fiddling about. I've had look at the endgame after Black Rb4 and can see some benefit in White manoeuvring with King and Pawns to try to get a better position on the Kingside - and maybe win a pawn. But best Black defence ought to be able to hold White at bay.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

New Game

After more than 24 hours, I claim a win for White!

(Seriously folks, you've got a kazillion good options in response to e4.)

[ 09. May 2016, 21:47: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

1. White - Pawn to e4 Black - Pawn to c5

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Oh good. The Sicilian.

1. White - Pawn to e4: Black - Pawn to c5
2. White - Knight to f3

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

2. White - Knight to f3: Black - Knight to c6

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to pitch in for white this time

3. White - Bishop to c4

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

3. White - Bishop to c4: Black - Pawn to e6

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

4. White - Pawn to d4

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is the Bishop doing on c4? If the Bishop is played on the 3rd move it is usually to b5. Is this an attempt to get out of book early?
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Bobby Fischer tried Bc4 a lot against the Sicilian. But not on move 3. I think we're in relatively uncharted waters but may transpose into better known variations.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
f1-b5 seemed needlessly aggressive. By curtailing the bishop's advance to f1-c4, white is establishing more of a presence in the centre, rather than looking for early exchanges at the sides.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I'm pretty sure Fischer used to play 3. d4 cxd 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 and then 6. Bc4 after d6, e6. g6 etc. It was his approach to the Open variations of the Sicilian, which normally involve White playing d4 on move 3. Playing Bc4 on move 3 may transpose or allow Black to try other different options.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Bump!

Current position, Black to play.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

I made the first 3 black moves so someone else is needed.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
4. White - Pawn to d4 Black-Pawn c5 captures on d4.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

4. White - Pawn to d4; Black-Pawn c5 captures on d4.
5. White - Knight to d4, takes Pawn

[ 13. May 2016, 21:03: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

4. White - Pawn to d4: Black - Pawn from c5 to d4, takes Pawn
5. White - Knight to d4, takes Pawn: Black - Knight to f6

Current board.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

6. White - Bishop to g5

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

6. White - Bishop to g5: Black - Queen to a5, check

Current board.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

7. White Bishop to d2

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

I think Bg5 was an error.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Hehe, I managed to move that Bishop back [Smile]

7. White Bishop to d2: Black - Queen to c5

Who has a presence in the centre now? [Cool]

Current board.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Does white have anything playable?
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

7. White - Bishop to d2: Black - Queen to c5
8. White - Knight to c6, takes Knight

Best of a bad lot I think.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I might have gone for 8. Nb5, threatening 9. Nc7+ with a fork.

My three moves for Black are up.

Current board.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I did look at Nb5 and reckoned that at best White loses two pieces for a Rook. The White Knight gets trapped at a8. I don't much like Nxc6 but found a few fiddles in some variations. Sipech is right, Bg5 was a mistake which looks as though it loses time and material.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Barnabas62: I did look at Nb5 and reckoned that at best White loses two pieces for a Rook.
I'm wondering which sequence you have in mind. After 8. Nb5, if Black wants to take those pieces I guess we're thinking 8. … Qxc4?? 9. Nc7+ Kd7 10. Nxa8 Qxe4+ with White ending up a point ahead. I would probably have played 8. … Nxe4 myself, threatening check-mate at f2. But I don't see a sequence leading to the exchange of two pieces for a Rook so quickly.

quote:
Barnabas62: I don't much like Nxc6 but found a few fiddles in some variations.
Looking forward to seeing those fiddles! [Smile]

quote:
Barnabas62: Sipech is right, Bg5 was a mistake which looks as though it loses time and material.
Interestingly, in this game as well as the one before it, attacking a Knight with a Bishop somewhere near the beginning hasn't been a strong move.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016