homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Crowd Sourced Chess (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Crowd Sourced Chess
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the two pieces for a Rook line, it does follow Qxb(c4). The check sequence 9. Nc7ch Kd8 (Kd7 is impossible) 10 NxR QxPch can be followed by 11. ....b6 and 12. .... Bb7, winning the Knight on a8 for a pawn and also putting Black's white-squared Bishop on that dangerous open diagonal. Something like that, anyway. Knight forks early in a game often lead to the Knight getting trapped on a8, and eventually lost.

There are lots of variations depending on the ways in which Black threatens mate, or which piece Black decides to recover. It gets quite tricky!

[ 17. May 2016, 14:49: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Barnabas62: (Kd7 is impossible)
Oops.

quote:
Barnabas62: Knight forks early in a game often lead to the Knight getting trapped on a8, and eventually lost.
Ah yes, it would be difficult to defend against that.

So, let us see what 8. Nxc6 brings: (Repeating because of the page break)

1. White - Pawn to e4: Black - Pawn to c5
2. White - Knight to f3: Black - Knight to c6
3. White - Bishop to c4: Black - Pawn to e6
4. White - Pawn to d4: Black - Pawn from c5 to d4, takes Pawn
5. White - Knight to d4, takes Pawn: Black - Knight to f6
6. White - Bishop to g5: Black - Queen to a5, check
7. White - Bishop to d2: Black - Queen to c5
8. White - Knight to c6, takes Knight

Current board, Black to move.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
8. White - Knight to c6, takes Knight: Black - Queen to c4, takes Bishop

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's certainly best and probably leads to a win.
9. White - Knight to b4:
Giving up the pawn and the right to castle next move. Horrible position for White.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that Black's best option was to take the Bishop instead of the Knight.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
White should resign.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Not on this thread! There is always room for reciprocal blunders. That's part of the charm.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
9. White - Knight to b4: Black - Queen to e4, takes Pawn. Check.

Was tempted by something else, but let's see what happens here.

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
9. White - Knight to b4: Black - Bishop to b4 takes Knight

I hope that is not the reciprocal mistake

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Actually, I now think White should resign. My last move was also a horrible error, losing a piece as well as a pawn.

LC's move stands but after 10. White - King to f1, Black can play moonlitdoor's move 10 ....Black -Bishop to b4, takes Knight. Winning the Knight as well, since after 11 White Bishop takes Knight, Black Queen takes the Bishop.

Is there anyone who thinks White has a cat in hell's chance in this game now? Otherwise, I reckon we should start a new game.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Heh the Knight should have gone to a5, not b4.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:

9. White - Knight to b4: Black - Bishop to b4 takes Knight

I hope that is not the reciprocal mistake

That was the move I was tempted by. I think it's a better move than the one I made.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

LC's move stands but after 10. White - King to f1, Black can play moonlitdoor's move 10 ....Black -Bishop to b4, takes Knight. Winning the Knight as well, since after 11 White Bishop takes Knight, Black Queen takes the Bishop.

I think if white plays 10. Qe2 here then white doesn't lose the extra piece immediately, but the best he can do is end up another pawn or two down.

Either way it looks like he's hanging on and hoping for a mistake.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

True. I saw that after I posted. It's why moonlitdoor's immediate capture was better than your Qxpch. But Qe2 from White also looks as though it leads to further material loss. I still reckon White's best move is Resign!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Now I almost feel guilty for having played Qa5+ [Smile]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Well, since I have a move left out of my three, since I compounded the mess by my last Knight move, I'll give other's a chance to look at the White position next move.

10. White - Queen to e2:

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't B x b4 just win a piece? If white plays Q X e4, Black plays B xd2 + before recapturing the Q.

[ 19. May 2016, 13:30: Message edited by: Caissa ]

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

In that sequence, the White Knight captures the Bishop on d2 and is then able to capture the Black Knight when it captures the White Queen on e4.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Thanks, Barnabass. The horizon effect.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

10. White - Queen to e2: Black - Queen to g2, takes Pawn.

That's my three moves up.

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funnily enough I was looking at the board for several minutes before trying to make Black's 9th, wondering if I was falling for a trap by Barnabas62. Waited for so long that I was overtaken by Leorning Cniht, then it wasn't a trap after all.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Last chance for anyone else to move for White. My 24 hours of "no move" are up in about half an hour, so I reckon I'm free to continue to prove that White is lost!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Moves 1-10

11. White - Rook to f1

Current position

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

I still think White should resign. Any opportunities of interest require a massive blunder by Black
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly, I have not posted enough moves ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

White looks like going three pawns down now, but if he can get castled Queenside and make use of the open spaces, there may be a bit of life left in the position. But I think Black can prevent that.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand why white can't still win.

[ 21. May 2016, 11:58: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Moves 1-10

11. White - Rook to f1: Black - Knight to e4

[ 21. May 2016, 12:01: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

Interesting. I was about to play N to g4 there, which I think may prevent white castling queen's side.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Moves 1-10

11. White - Rook to f1: Black - Knight to e4
12. White - Knight to d3:

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Bump!

Nobody wants to beat White?

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

I think it is more likely people think white should resign.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

DT is the moderator, happy for her to determine whether the game is is over.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I suspect that repeatedly saying white should resign has not acted as a spur to anyone's desire to move for white.

That said, let's call time on this particular game.

It is one all between white and black - best of 3, new game ?

[ 30. May 2016, 19:44: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Fine by me. So here goes with a new move 1.

1. White - Pawn to e4

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

1. White - Pawn to e4 : Black - Pawn to c6

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

2. White - pawn to d4

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

2. White - pawn to d4 : Black - Pawn to d5

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

3. White - Knight to c3

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

3. White - Knight to c3 : Black - Pawn to g6

That's my 3 moves so time for someone else.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

4. White - Pawn to h3

From what little I know of this variation, Black often tries to swop off his QB via an early Bg4. So a modest pawn move ..

[ 01. June 2016, 12:43: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
4. White - Pawn to h3: Black - Pawn to e6

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

What is the point of h3?
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

5. White pawn to e5

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

re. h3, Black normaly develops the bishop on f5. Black's choice of g6 is also interesting.

[ 01. June 2016, 17:21: Message edited by: Caissa ]

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Apparently... g6, h3 is a book variation. Black normally follows with Bg7 instead of e6.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Gurgenidze system

Interesting video link. I didn't know h3 was a book line but it seems to frustrate any attempt to establish that line. I thought it was a little slow, but worth a try.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Sorry - should have said " I didn't know h3 was a book line but it seems to frustrate any attempt to establish the main objective of the Gurgenidze system (the positioning of the Black Kingside Knight)." Too many "that line"s!

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5. White pawn to e5: Black - Bishop to b4

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

5. White pawn to e5: Black - Bishop to b4
6. White = Bishop to d2

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016