homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Try this on for size:

President Bernie Sanders and Prime Minister Tom Mulcair, sitting down at a Canada/US summit.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And in candidate news:

Ted Cruz Cooks Bacon With A Machine Gun (HuffPost).

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure that Trump cares about his place in history, but assuming that he does (and I see nothing suggesting that he doesn't), he will certainly be given a larger place if he forms a third part and runs, and an even larger place if he manages to carry a few states.

Also, the publicity garnered by a third party run would be enormous, particularly for someone likely to say or do something outrageously newsworthy every day.

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

Perhaps a Trump/Palin ticket?

I could see it winning a big chunk of the popular vote, and perhaps the electoral votes of Alaska, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota....

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
Perhaps a Trump/Palin ticket?

I could see it winning a big chunk of the popular vote, and perhaps the electoral votes of Alaska, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota....

Hey, we were having a moment there.
[Frown] Don't go putting you-know-what in the punchbowl.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you really think that Trump would want to share the spotlight with Sarah Palin?

I'm wondering if Trump is going to win the nomination? Given unlimited funds and support by the tea party, I can imagine him sticking around for a long time.

I am marveling that a Drudge Report poll is being cited as evidence that he did well in the debate. Not what I would call an unbiased source. I saw a comment asking how many Democrats voted to continue the mischief.
Some of this is the unlimited money and some is the media not wanting to give up the excitement for the next few months of primary infighting with the other candidates.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Do you really think that Trump would want to share the spotlight with Sarah Palin?

If Trump sends some money her way, she'll likely do whatever he wants. It will definitely be "TRUMP for President in 2016", not "Trump/Palin in 2016."

I think she still has a fair number of hard-core supporters who could provide a margin in some states although there is likely a considerable overlap with Trump boosters. Palin has a good record of stirring up such people.

Putting a woman (albeit Palin) on the ticket would

[Razz] those who criticize his blatant misogyny.

In any case, it's hard to imagine that even Palin could say anything more damaging to Trump than the things he routinely says himself.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re Palin/Trump:

At the RNC convention for the 2008 election, there was quite a tableau some time after McCain chose Palin over Lieberman for VP. IIRC, the speeches were over for the night. McCain and Palin were sitting next to each other on stage. Lieberman was just behind them, angrily looming over them like a vulture. I thought, "oh, neither Lieberman nor Palin should be behind any of the others on the stairs". Lieberman wanted the VP spot, expected due to his friendship with McCain, and both Palin and Lieberman probably wanted the top job.

I wonder what undercurrents there would be in a Trump/Palin candidacy?

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
Putting a woman (albeit Palin) on the ticket would

[Razz] those who criticize his blatant misogyny.

Anyone who can recognize misogyny should also be able to recognize tokenism.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I'm sure even now he's trying to figure out a way to make it a Trump/Trump ticket.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was a kid, there was a book called "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark." It was a compilation of obviously made up stories to be read for amusement and a cheep thrill around the camp fire. Being a little jumpy, I never owned a copy, but it was always a school book fair best-seller.

Now maybe I'm wrong, and I'll take my lashes if I am. But Trump - Palin 2016 sounds like the first story out of "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark: Politics Edition." Maybe it is a serious threat. Or maybe (I feel as if I am repeating myself) it's August, shit else is happening, and political writers have to submit something to their editors.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From the news shows:
About his treatment of women more generally, Trump told Todd: “When I was attacked viciously by those women, of course, it’s very hard for them to attack me on looks, because I’m so good-looking.”

It has been a long, long time since we have seen such a naked ego in politics!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

I'm sure even now he's trying to figure out a way to make it a Trump/Trump ticket.
There's always this. [Snigger]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

Naked ego in politics beats naked politicians. Ask around.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
From the news shows:
About his treatment of women more generally, Trump told Todd: “When I was attacked viciously by those women, of course, it’s very hard for them to attack me on looks, because I’m so good-looking.”

It has been a long, long time since he has looked in a mirror, apparently.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
From the news shows:

It has been a long, long time since he has looked in a mirror, apparently.
The hair alone demonstrates that.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Rick Perry's campaign has evidently run out of money, per TV news. IIRC, he's letting his staff go, and maybe closing offices.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not that he's run out of money. It's that the billionaire donors decided not to give him any more money. And he has no base -- no people donating ten dollars -- to make up the lack. He wasn't a good enough sock puppet; the plutocrats have better mouthpieces.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In a field of 17, Rick Perry was a little too much last season's news. The fact that one of the indictments is going forward can't help, either. I suspect he was seen as having just a little too much baggage. In the end, I think that sense of "last year's news" is going to shoot down Santorum as well.

Of course, Donald Trump certainly has plenty of baggage as well--and seems to be shopping for more every day. In the slow news environment, though, he at least provides entertainment. The Fox network has long known that entertainment is more important than hard news if you want to generate profit from a TV brand.

The Donald is the real wild card in this election. I find very few redeeming qualities there (OK, I find none) but he stands a good chance of playing kingmaker--for the Democrats.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

The Donald is the real wild card in this election. I find very few redeeming qualities there (OK, I find none) but he stands a good chance of playing kingmaker--for the Democrats.

He does! If he actually makes it through the nominations I think almost any Democrat but Clinton would beat him. It's not her fault, but she is so hated by most Republicans, I think they would vote for any Republican rather than her.
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More on why the Trump lead is a slow news month fiction, this time from Nate Silver.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

On the other side, this is an interesting opinion piece on the Black Lives Matter movement pushing back against Democratic candidates for not saying enough about racial inequality.

The sense seems to be that as long as candidates don't directly address racial inequality as a problem in and of itself rather than as a symptom of economic inequality, black voters are going to feel like they are being offered a "least bad" candidate rather than someone who might actually do something to help them out directly.

So if no one comes out and makes racial inequality a cornerstone of his or her platform, is there a risk that black voters stay home? And why should black voters be expected to be happy about voting for the "least bad" candidate?

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Trump doesn't need the Fox News money but he definitely needs their unfair, not balanced backing from their various talking heads. The Fox Faithful are ditto heads.

This morning Trump says anyone who thought his remarks referred to anything other than nose bleeds are "deviants." He also says he will be "phenomenal to the women." Thanks for being so specific, Donald. I feel better now.

Thinking about this I think that his targeting of Megan Kelly was at least in part calculated because of who she is. She is a smart attractive blonde woman who works as a presenter for Fox News. She would normally be the very last kind of person to be attacked by a Republican presidential candidate. By attacking her Trump has sent out a message 'If even Megan Kelly isn't safe from being verbally attacked and made headlines of by Trump then no journalist is'. I think Trump will get less difficult questions from interviewers and debate moderators after that.
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
So Trump has been uninvited to speak at a Red State forum after suggesting that Megan Kelly asked him pointed questions because she was on her period.

This is too easy. He makes a big fuss about how neither of the parties are ready for a straight talker who can cut through the B.S., drops out of the Republican primaries, but reminds everyone that he never said he wouldn't run as an independent. He goes out on top, and he gets will he or won't he coverage for the next 12 months.

I'd set the over / under at Labor Day, but that's three weeks out.

I think you're wrong about that.

Trump is now apparently working of his Tax and Immigration policies (the latter apparently he's working with Senator Jeff Sessions on) and will announce them in September before the second debate

link

He's also reporting to be building up a formidable election machine in Iowa link

I think he's actually trying to win.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibliophile:
By attacking her Trump has sent out a message 'If even Megan Kelly isn't safe from being verbally attacked and made headlines of by Trump then no journalist is'. I think Trump will get less difficult questions from interviewers and debate moderators after that.

I never heard of Megan Kelly until this story broke. I doubt that many people who don't watch Faux News had heard of her. Now everyone has. She couldn't have bought this kind of publicity. If anything, Trump's behavior is apt to encourage other moderators to try for the same treatment.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Thinking about this I think that his targeting of Megan Kelly was at least in part calculated because of who she is. She is a smart attractive blonde woman who works as a presenter for Fox News.

fwiw, "smart" is not a word anyone would have used to describe Kelly prior to the debate.

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

Trump has announced his immigration plan, apparently the first candidate to do so

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/immigration-reform

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A "Janet and John" summary of Trump's immigration policy now follows.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bibliophile

For your information, Fox News is not a news service. Its stock in trade is propaganda. I learned this by watching its coverage of the 2008 and 2012 Presidential elections.

YMMV but if it does you are wrong.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
A "Janet and John" summary of Trump's immigration policy now follows.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel

Was it Oscar Wilde who suggested that it wasn't the last refuge but the first?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I'm quoting Samuel Johnson, but I don't mind either first or last when it comes to scoundrels.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thinking about this I think that his targeting of Megan Kelly was at least in part calculated because of who she is. She is a smart attractive blonde woman who works as a presenter for Fox News. She would normally be the very last kind of person to be attacked by a Republican presidential candidate. By attacking her Trump has sent out a message 'If even Megan Kelly isn't safe from being verbally attacked and made headlines of by Trump then no journalist is'. I think Trump will get less difficult questions from interviewers and debate moderators after that.

Nope. Trump's standard mode of interaction with anyone is to either talk about how great he (or anything with his name on it) is or to insult and denigrate anyone who asks him a tough question or disagrees with him. This isn't a deliberate plan, it's just Trump being Trump. I suppose it could be argued that Trump's overall campaign strategy is to appeal to the belligerent asshole faction of the Republican party, but that's more playing to his strengths than any kind of deliberate plan.

Plus, being "made headlines of" seems a particularly ineffectual threat against a Fox News talking head. The network is all about outrage and attention seeking. (See O'Reilly, Bill.) If Megyn Kelly isn't going to be embarrassed off the air after insisting that of course Santa and Jesus are white (counterpoint), she's not going to be embarrassed into silence because she asked Donald Trump if he had a problem with women, followed by Donald Trump demonstrating very clearly that he has a problem with women.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Bibliophile

For your information, Fox News is not a news service. Its stock in trade is propaganda. I learned this by watching its coverage of the 2008 and 2012 Presidential elections.

YMMV but if it does you are wrong.

Bear in mind -- it was founded by Rupert Murdoch.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Pigwidgeon

You may find this link interesting, despite it being a bit long in the tooth.

Particularly because of this observation.

quote:
The creation of straight-up propaganda networks like Fox News in America has done enormous damage to the quality of democratic discourse in that country. Many people blame the abolition of the Federal Communications Commission’s “Fairness Doctrine” in 1987, under President Reagan, for setting this process of degeneration in motion. This rule had required broadcasters, both radio and television, to inform their audience about matters of public interest, and specified that “coverage of these issues must be fair in the sense that it provides an opportunity for . . . contrasting points of view.” This doctrine was, over the years, unpopular with both the left and right, depending on the tenor of discussion in the media. It seems clear, however, that a lot of current right-wing talk radio, as well as Fox News, could not operate as it currently does without the abolition of this rule.
"Straight up propaganda network" as a description fits in very well with the coverage of the last two Presidential elections by Fox which I personally observed. There were times when the bias was so blatant, I couldn't believe my eyes and my ears.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I mentioned elsewhere that the great tragedy of Christianity in the past twenty years or so is how it's been co-opted by politics:
A truly sad witness to us

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A couple of days ago - I might be mis-remembering - I heard that Donald Trump said his favourite book was "The Art of the Deal" and his second favourite book was the Bible. Today, I heard the same two books, but reversed. Anyway ....

[Eek!]

Does anyone really believe Donald Trump's favourite book is the Bible? Is anyone going to challenge him <cough> Pastor Huckabee <ahem>? And if I may be allowed a follow-up, what will the Bible-lovers make of his "I will be great on women's health issues"?

How long until the wheels come off the Donald Clown Car? I wanna see Bernie Sanders face off with Scott Walker, gorrammit.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I wonder if The Donald tithes.

--------------------

Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have come to believe that no republican candidate has ever studied the Constitution and only one (John Kasich) has actually read any part the four Gospels.

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
A couple of days ago - I might be mis-remembering - I heard that Donald Trump said his favourite book was "The Art of the Deal" and his second favourite book was the Bible. Today, I heard the same two books, but reversed. Anyway ....

[Eek!]

Does anyone really believe Donald Trump's favourite book is the Bible?

About a year ago, I was in the presence of someone was complaining that, of a group of young business people profiled in a magazine, none of them listed a truly "great" film as their favorite movie. I think your favorite book or movie need not be the book or movie that has most influenced you, and that whenever people put "The Bible" as their favorite book, it comes off as a boast rather than a believable statement. If I were going to a deserted island for a year, I would certainly want to bring my Bible and BCP, but that doesn't mean that either one is my favorite book (the Code of the Woosters).

quote:
Is anyone going to challenge him <cough> Pastor Huckabee <ahem>? And if I may be allowed a follow-up, what will the Bible-lovers make of his "I will be great on women's health issues"?

I don't really see the point of challenging him, as he no doubt has an outrageous response ready which will put him back in the limelight.

quote:
How long until the wheels come off the Donald Clown Car? I wanna see Bernie Sanders face off with Scott Walker, gorrammit.

I might have been a little over eager when I set the over / under at Labor Day, although I'm not paying on over yet. His numbers have plateaued and perhaps dropped a bit. He is still in the lead, but given that his negative numbers are so high among the 75-85% of Republicans who don't support him, it seems unlikely that he will pick up supporters as other candidates drop out.

As for Mr. Sanders, he may also be suffering from a plateau problem. He got a nice bump from increased name recognition, and from the folks who finally gave up on Elizabeth Warren- low hanging fruit, really. But can he turn enough Clinton voters to make it interesting? That's the difference between being the next Howard Dean or the next Barack Obama.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There is a long tiresome tradition in the US of the August news doldrums. Everybody who is anybody is out of town, at the Hamptons or on Martha's Vineyard, and so nothing serious is reported on.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

On the slow news cycle front, Mr. Sanders was asked by a reporter for the New York Times if it is fair that Clinton gets more scrutiny over her hair than he does.

Honestly, it's not his fault that the media focus on the physical appearance of female candidates. And he got to the right answer ("it's absolutely wrong") eventually. But his shock at even having to field a question about his hair, I thought, really helped prove the interviewer's point about the double standard.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a piece with video on Google news called "Clinton talks to Black Live Matter." I didn't link it because it's about twenty minutes long, but I find it really interesting.

This is in Massachusetts. The man and two women she speaks to are delegates from BLM and they start right out telling Clinton that they blame her more than any other candidate for things like the number of blacks in prison.

Hillary listens carefully for several minutes and then responds, (I think,) with some excellent, clear advice. Advice from a woman who has been lawyer, First Lady, Senator and Secretary of State. She cites the Women's Liberation Movement and the LBGT community as examples of what she's saying (put together a firm policy, be clear about what you're asking for, change laws don't wait for hearts to change.)

The man from BLM responds with (paraphrasing), "We don't need white people telling us what to do," and "What you're doing is blaming the victim."

The whole conversation impressed me with Clinton's coolness and her ability to really listen. Others may see the whole thing in a different light.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I'd say it is the primary process at work. Primaries are where the various factions in the parties struggle with one another to develop a party platform for the election year. People get upset with BLM for protesting Democrats rather than Republicans. But really, they are just trying to shape their own party's platform. Why bother yelling at the guy who knows you aren't voting for him anyway? Now is the time to let your own party know that this issue matters, and that it needs to be part of the platform in 2016.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this person serious?

From the article:

Asked if she wiped her personal server before handing it over to investigators, Clinton responded “Like, with a cloth or something?”

So her story, if I follow, is that she never sent or received classified emails during her time at State.

Donald Trump wishes he could make such a ridiculous statement, and David Patraeus wishes he had been a dim.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
So her story, if I follow, is that she never sent or received classified emails during her time at State.

Her claim is that she never sent or received classified emails during her time at State on her personal server as opposed to the government one set up for that purpose.

Whether or not that's a true statement remains to be seen. But it is certainly not a ridiculous one.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Her claim is that she never sent or received classified emails during her time at State on her personal server as opposed to the government one set up for that purpose.

Plus, she has said she didn't receive anything that was designated "classified." I expect the FBI might find some classified information that was sent to her private e-mail but not flagged as classified, in which case it wont be her fault, but I'm sure FOX news will go nuts.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Og, King of Bashan: People get upset with BLM for protesting Democrats rather than Republicans.
I find the dynamics of what is happening between the BLM movement and the Democrat candidates rather interesting.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:

That sounds great, until State says that she used personal email exclusively.

She never had a .gov email during her time at the State department.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know about State, but in my Agency the use of email for Classified information is discouraged. so yeah, I do find it believable that she never sent or received an email containing information designated as "classified". Such material may have been exclusively sent/received in hard copy, or via diplomatic data systems which are more secure than email. email is, in my experience, rarely use for that sort of thing. But my experience may be outdated, since it's been a while since I dealt with diplomatic issues at work. Nevertheless, I find it completely plausible that she did not handle that sort of email herself, but rather that staff would have handled it for her, and provided her with hard copy when necessary.
Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Anyuta:
I don't know about State, but in my Agency the use of email for Classified information is discouraged. so yeah, I do find it believable that she never sent or received an email containing information designated as "classified". Such material may have been exclusively sent/received in hard copy, or via diplomatic data systems which are more secure than email. email is, in my experience, rarely use for that sort of thing. But my experience may be outdated, since it's been a while since I dealt with diplomatic issues at work. Nevertheless, I find it completely plausible that she did not handle that sort of email herself, but rather that staff would have handled it for her, and provided her with hard copy when necessary.

I agree. My experience is extremely outdated but the last jobs my husband and I had before retiring we were often doing things on the computer for our bosses who had no clue how to do it themselves. Things are different now but I think Clinton was probably only half joking when someone asked her if she had wiped her account and she said, "You mean with a cloth?" Did Eisenhower know how to type? Could Kennedy take shorthand? I doubt it, and I doubt that the Secretary of State knew how to erase a hard drive.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016