homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 101)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
If trump and Putin like each other we can take a break from digging the fallout shelter after all, because the latter's going nowhere in a hurry.
Hey, get them to team up, end the ridiculous E/W proxy war that's been raging since 45, and maybe even bring Peace to the Middle East.

Who is to say our fear isn't shutting our minds to new possibilities.

Remember this gem from the genius?

Putin is gonna hate to see him go...

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Golden Key wrote:

quote:
This is far worse. I understand why Trump would do this, but why would GF bother after all this time???

Well, drag a dollar bill through a trailer park...

(And you can read that either as a trashing of Ms. Flowers, or as an allusion to the Clinton camp's own descent into misogynistic class-ism during the 90s scandals.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Golden Key wrote:

quote:
This is far worse. I understand why Trump would do this, but why would GF bother after all this time???

Well, drag a dollar bill through a trailer park...

(And you can read that either as a trashing of Ms. Flowers, or as an allusion to the Clinton camp's own descent into misogynistic class-ism during the 90s scandals.

This is a classic example of how much more nimble and relevant Trump's tactics have been through this process.

Flowers will not be on the front row tomorrow, but with a simple tweet Trump took the narrative completely away from Clinton, and Mark Cuban will look like the giant douche that he is when he arrives at Hofstra.

It is incredibly entertaining to watch.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A discussion of the unappeasable disgust that the Tiny Fingered One elicits from many of us. A free click.
This is from the NY Times:
A summary of why Trump should not be president.
The money quote: "Voters attracted by the force of the Trump personality should pause and take note of the precise qualities he exudes as an audaciously different politician: bluster, savage mockery of those who challenge him, degrading comments about women, mendacity, crude generalizations about nations and religions. Our presidents are role models for generations of our children. Is this the example we want for them?"

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Our presidents are role models for generations of our children. Is this the example we want for them?

Yeah we're talking about making Bill Clinton the first "first gentleman" of the United States, so that concern falls just a little flat. Unless of course there is some evidence that Trump has had his penis in the mouth of a volunteer intern, then it's just a wash...

[ 26. September 2016, 02:26: Message edited by: romanlion ]

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No offence to the guy, but there is no point in trying to convince Romanlion to vote for Our Hills. He has a view on US Politics and where the US needs to go which is fundamentally different to Hillary's. The best thing to do is try to confuse him by blowing smoke up his arse and punching him in the guts at the same time.

On Hillary's effect on the US electorate, I'm currently reading Bob Woodward's account of the 1992 Clinton campaign for the White House and the first year of the Administration. I know, we were sorting out bookshelves and there it was. Hillary is portrayed as the linchpin of her Husband's campaign and also as a liability because her approval rating is so low. This is polling of Democratic voters in a North-eastern state (Mass I think) in 1991. None of the detail is accurate, my memory is shot.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
If trump and Putin like each other we can take a break from digging the fallout shelter after all, because the latter's going nowhere in a hurry.
Hey, get them to team up, end the ridiculous E/W proxy war that's been raging since 45, and maybe even bring Peace to the Middle East.

Who is to say our fear isn't shutting our minds to new possibilities.

Russia under Putin is a repressive regime internally expanding its borders by war and the threat of war. It is a great pity that Obama didn't feel able to take a more aggressive stand against Russia in Georgia and Ukraine. Trump's indebtedness to Putin should on its own be a big factor in keeping him out of the Oval Office.

--------------------
Human

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
October is almost here . . . time for some "October Surprises." I have a feeling some very unpleasant things indeed will be revealed about Fartmouth that even romanlion will have to admit, erm, recuse him from the Oval Office.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Our presidents are role models for generations of our children. Is this the example we want for them?

Yeah we're talking about making Bill Clinton the first "first gentleman" of the United States, so that concern falls just a little flat. Unless of course there is some evidence that Trump has had his penis in the mouth of a volunteer intern, then it's just a wash...
Well if Trump wins out First Lady will have actual pictures out there of those sort of parts.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

At this point, anyone who needs a summary to understand this also needs a carer and full-time placement in a home.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

At this point, anyone who needs a summary to understand this also needs a carer and full-time placement in a home.
The key word being summary. It's like being asked to "describe all of Western history in 5 minutes". You'll need a summary of the top 5 most influential events in order to proceed.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Russia under Putin is a repressive regime internally expanding its borders by war and the threat of war. It is a great pity that Obama didn't feel able to take a more aggressive stand against Russia in Georgia and Ukraine. Trump's indebtedness to Putin should on its own be a big factor in keeping him out of the Oval Office.

Isn't wishing Obama had taken a more aggressive stand during the Russo-Georgian War (August 2008) a bit like wondering why he wasn't in the Oval Office during the 9/11 attacks?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

Isn't wishing Obama had taken a more aggressive stand during the Russo-Georgian War (August 2008) a bit like wondering why he wasn't in the Oval Office during the 9/11 attacks?
Just replace "Georgia" with "Syria", that'll work just fine...

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Megalomania, racism, sexism, xenophobia, and mockery of those with disabilities or who have lost a son in war you pass over without a word, but someone getting a blowjob two decades ago is bad enough that even their spouse is considered a bad role model?

That is one fucked up moral system.

[edited because I forgot which board this is]

[ 26. September 2016, 16:26: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is from the New Yorker, which limits your clicks. But if you haven't used them all up, Trump could be a transformational president. And this is not a good thing.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The debate has started but I turned it off after a half hour or so. I'll wait for analysis tomorrow. My preliminary observation is that I'm disappointed in Hillary's performance. It surprises me that I would be.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I lasted half an hour as well (I'll also be seeing highlights and analysis tomorrow). If I had watched any longer I would have thrown something through my television screen, and I can't afford to buy a new television.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Pity the two of us didn't organize a debate-watching Shipmeet. We'd all be going on to bigger and better things by now. [Biased]

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
My preliminary observation is that I'm disappointed in Hillary's performance.

She walked into an almost impossible situation.

She is trying to play tennis on a Rugby pitch.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I've been watching for an hour and 15 minutes and what I've heard is Clinton laying out logical intelligent plans to make our problems better while Trump's answer is always to say that everything is a disaster and when he becomes president everything will be tremendous.

Example: Hillary talked about several good ideas she had to decrease crime in the country.
Trumps response? "I didn't hear her say law and order." His responses are just key words to get a cheer from his fans.

10:22 I do think Lester Holt might hit him before the night is over. Hillary is keeping a pleasant expression on her face in spite of the idiocy being spewed next to her.

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

No secret that I'm not an Illary fan, but she should be comfortable for the next 24 to 48 hours after having the s**t kicked out of her tonight.

She seriously looked like she needed a nap after 30 minutes.

She is playing an old game, and losing.

I expect Barry to miss a few tee-times over the next six weeks dragging the old bag across the finish line...

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For me the most interesting thing about the debates was the complete lack of any mention of the Wall.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
quote:

Well, it's a bit like Trump's attempt today to paint Hillary as responsible for US policy since 1980. My fact checkers have been shot [Smile]

--------------------
Human

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
No secret that I'm not an Illary fan, ....

The Donald's sniffle issues came up after 10 minutes. But, hey....whatever people need to do to make themselves feel better.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I watched all of the debate, but found my capacity to judge it hampered by my hatred of Trump and respect for Clinton. The one thing I thought was a big positive for the USA was Trump's closing statement to the effect that he would support Hilary if she were elected.

Of course, Trump's attempts to weasel his way out of just about everything he's said in the past takes the shine off it a bit.

What I suspect is that both Trump and Clinton were trying to shore up their constituencies, rather than preaching to undecideds. Clinton talked about employment conditions, race relations, sexism and her strong foreign policy record. Trump talked about how good he was, how shit Hilary was, and about how he didn't say what he is on record as saying in the past.

I don't know how many times he interrupted or demanded a right of reply just to say something like, "You know I received the endorsement of the NRA, and they are good people, and we are very pleased with that and there are more coming in and I think it's going to be great and I am great, so..." I think Trump supporters would have been pleased with that. I was laughing, but in a slightly scared way.

--------------------
Human

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BTW, Trump's own advisors, including Gulliani, admitting he didn't do well so...hey...narrative.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

A stand against Russia in Syria?

I'd be damned interested to hear your take on exactly how many "sides" there are in Syria so as to make this notion work. Personally I think the answer is quite a bit larger than 2.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I couldn't bring myself to watch the debate because Trump makes me sick. So I'm quite interested in what people here have to say about it.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Pity the two of us didn't organize a debate-watching Shipmeet. We'd all be going on to bigger and better things by now. [Biased]

There are two more debates...

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Russia under Putin is a repressive regime internally expanding its borders by war and the threat of war. It is a great pity that [qb]Obama
didn't feel able to take a more aggressive stand against Russia in Georgia and Ukraine. Trump's indebtedness to Putin should on its own be a big factor in keeping him out of the Oval Office.

I'd be damned interested to hear your take on exactly how many "sides" there are in Syria so as to make this notion work. Personally I think the answer is quite a bit larger than 2.

Oh, I'm sorry!!

I trust Hillary Clinton to get it all straightened out since she obviously contributed to fucking it all up.

[ 27. September 2016, 03:10: Message edited by: romanlion ]

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

Reckon she's asleep yet?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

For future debates I suggest that they use 'off' switches on the microphones. A candidate's microphone would only work when it was his/her turn to answer a question -- not when his/her opponent was speaking, or the moderator.

--------------------
~Tortuf

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
For future debates I suggest that they use 'off' switches on the microphones. A candidate's microphone would only work when it was his/her turn to answer a question -- not when his/her opponent was speaking, or the moderator.

This has been a need for political "debates" for decades.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Regard's Trump sniffles. I was wondering if he might have taken cocaine. I have seen this with coke heads.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

There are two more debates...
We could do a color commentary thread in Hell, maybe.
I'm in.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
--Re tonight's debate: IMHO, Hillary was great. Except for the very beginning, when she and T were rapid-fire clashing, she kept her temper; she was pretty relaxed; she smiled; she carefully explained her ideas; she supported workers; and her debate prep really showed. I think she'd prepared for just about everything T came up with.

Upthread, someone mentioned only watching the beginning, and feeling disappointed in Hillary. IMHO, you might feel differently if you saw the whole thing. I watched it on PBS. They'll probably have it online at "PBS Newshour". (The site is busy, so I can't double-check.)

--Re the wall: When T met with Netanyahu, over the weekend, perhaps they discussed putting up the wall Israel's been wanting?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I honestly didn't noticed Trump's sniffles. I was too busy trying to work out why he was using the words he was using in the order he was using them. He barely managed a complete sentence, certainly not one sentence per idea.

Every now and then he would intone "wrong" into his microphone, but then Hillary would point out something else outrageous that he's said or done, and he would stay silent. Was he admitting those by his silence? I'm certainly taking it that way.

And what about his defence to the charge that he was excluding non-whites from his apartment buildings? "We settled that one with no admission of liability." Yeah, you fucking paid through the nose so your obvious prejudice would not be displayed to the world. Well guess what knuckle-head, it just got displayed on the biggest stage in the country.

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok. As of now, you can watch the debate here, with analysis from the Newshour.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Russia under Putin is a repressive regime internally expanding its borders by war and the threat of war. It is a great pity that [qb]Obama
didn't feel able to take a more aggressive stand against Russia in Georgia and Ukraine. Trump's indebtedness to Putin should on its own be a big factor in keeping him out of the Oval Office.

Oh, I'm sorry!!

I trust Hillary Clinton to get it all straightened out since she obviously contributed to fucking it all up.

Wow. Just how many times can folks evade a direct point by tossing out some other random assertion that it's all the fault of the Democrats?

[ 27. September 2016, 09:24: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Regard's Trump sniffles. I was wondering if he might have taken cocaine. I have seen this with coke heads.

I actually wondered the same thing. It was continuous and so loose, really sickening. He may be one of those old men with sleep apnea problems. Hillary, OTOH was bright eyed and perky throughout and has proved she can throw off a bad infection in record time. If it was just a health question I'd go with her.

--------------

The BBC this morning is saying it was a battle between a salesman and a lawyer, with Trump always closing even if it means disregarding the truth and Hillary laying out a logical, well planned case.

The trouble is The Deplorables can't pay attention through the long, logical explanations, but they get excited over the salesman's sweeping promises and start to stomp and yell. They love stuff like, "I'll give you my tax returns when you give me those e-mails." When Hillary said that one reason he might be hiding his tax returns was that he hadn't paid any taxes, he mumbled, "Because I'm smart."

I wonder if he has the same appeal as the Creflo Dollars and Benny Hinns. Their followers seem to think if they back a rich man it will make them rich, too. It's like the men in my father's generation that liked to say, "If he's so smart why ain't he rich."

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

I've also seen it with people with colds and hay fever.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Perhaps he's coming down with pneumonia.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A discussion of the unappeasable disgust that the Tiny Fingered One elicits from many of us. A free click.
The money quote: "Voters attracted by the force of the Trump personality should pause and take note of the precise qualities he exudes as an audaciously different politician: bluster, savage mockery of those who challenge him, degrading comments about women, mendacity, crude generalizations about nations and religions. Our presidents are role models for generations of our children. Is this the example we want for them?"

I doubt that anyone who's already decided to vote for Trump will read it. It might change the minds of the floating voter, but who knows?! I wouldn't discount a Trump presidency as within the bounds of possibility however horrible the idea seems ...

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Howard Dean asks the question.

Speaking as someone whose stance on this could fairly be described as Boy, Do I Hope It's True, I'm still gonna say that Dean's speculation is pretty irresponsible, and probably unhelpful, given his standing as a high-profile Democrat.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Howard Dean asks the question.

Speaking as someone whose stance on this could fairly be described as Boy, Do I Hope It's True, I'm still gonna say that Dean's speculation is pretty irresponsible, and probably unhelpful, given his standing as a high-profile Democrat.

I'm a bit disappointed in him. I remember with some sadness how his own campaign was sabotaged by the media because of their ridiculous focus on one scream. You would think he would have focused on something more substantive- of which there was plenty.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kudos to whoever did the candidate's make-up. Trump was not orange!
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is the same man due to chair the next two? If so, I hope someone tells him what his job as chair is meant to be - he allowed both candidates to steamroller him on time, and Trump in particular gained in this regard.

Get someone in the chair who is up to the job: we could always lend you Jeremy Paxman.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Is the same man due to chair the next two?

No. It's someone different every time.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Former TV anchor Dan Rather (remember him?) analyzes the debate here. I believe you need to be on Facebook to see this, but give it a try and see.
The money quote:
"Our Founders believed in reason and the power of intellect. Donald Trump made clear tonight by his wilful ignorance of important issues that he does not. Our founders feared the accumulation of power, they loathed vanity, and tried to build in protections against the demagogues who would appeal to mankind's basest instincts. Donald Trump relishes in all of these impulses. For him they are instinctual and a prescription for success.
To call Trump a con man, as many have, is a disservice to the art of the con. By its definition a con requires deceit. But Trump has not tried to hide his lies or the sheer unrealistic audacity of his cartoonish policy positions."

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Former TV anchor Dan Rather (remember him?)

Sure.

I'm old enough to remember when he still had credibility!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016