homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 102)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Analysing Trump's sniffles seems a really dumb thing for any Democrat to do right after complaining about the hyperbole that surrounded Clinton's recent illness.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Regard's Trump sniffles. I was wondering if he might have taken cocaine. I have seen this with coke heads.

I've also seen it with people with colds and hay fever.
I saw it as proof that karma is real, and she's pissed. After all his endless hyperbolic 2nd guessing of HIllary's every cough and stumble, here he is in prime time and he's sniffing like a coke fiend at a rave. He clearly has monkey flu or penguin AIDs or a new version of pigeon ebola. We will have to quarantine him for the good of the country-- 10, 20 years oughta do it.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(To Romalion:) Dan Rather lost his job because one piece of journalism in a long, brilliant career had not been fact checked beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Fox News, which I'm sure you swear by, made so many false statements, on a daily basis, that they had to re-define themselves as an entertainment show. Talk about credibility.

Today they're squawking about Lester Holt being too hard on their big baby.

[ 27. September 2016, 14:01: Message edited by: Twilight ]

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Trump's audition for Fox's new reality show, "Candidate Island" went quite well.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
I think Trump's audition for Fox's new reality show, "Candidate Island" went quite well.

Quotes file!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Opinion piece, at **Fox News**, of all places, by pollster who is also a political consultant and co-host of a Fox news show.

"Hillary won the first debate (it helps to be prepared)."

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was hoping that the debate format would put the moderator in a position to tamp down any attempts to wrest control out of order. That Lester Holt, only once, attempted to stop Trump's interruptions and failed at that.

This was not a debate it was a brawl.

Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:

A "New Yorker" cartoon (probably pay-to-see) depicts it as a cock fight.

(No, not that kind -- I mean roosters!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Analysing Trump's sniffles seems a really dumb thing for any Democrat to do right after complaining about the hyperbole that surrounded Clinton's recent illness.

The way our morning news reported it left me wondering if Clinton's "illness" wasn't just a ruse for trump to stumble into.

He questions her 'stamina' when some observers thought it was he who looked frayed at the edges.
All good cat and mouse stuff for this stage of the race.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Until this election, that would be puerile and unnecessary to state. [Help]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re Trump's sniffling:

I didn't notice it. But, for the first part of the debate, his face looked very pale, exhausted, and ill. Then, he somehow pinked up.

I don't see any reason to assume he did coke.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A roundup of conservative opinions on the debate. This is from the POST.

Money quote, from David French over at the right-wing National Review, about Trump's performance: "I felt like I was watching the political Titanic hit the iceberg, back up, and hit it again. Just for fun."

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:

The way our morning news reported it left me wondering if Clinton's "illness" wasn't just a ruse for trump to stumble into.

He questions her 'stamina' when some observers thought it was he who looked frayed at the edges.
All good cat and mouse stuff for this stage of the race.

Aargh. Why is it that people love conspiracy theories so goddamn much?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Why is it that people love conspiracy theories so goddamn much?

The Illuminati want it that way.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re Trump's sniffling:

I didn't notice it. But, for the first part of the debate, his face looked very pale, exhausted, and ill. Then, he somehow pinked up.

I don't see any reason to assume he did coke.

Oooh no. It's a good thing you don't see any reason to assume Trump did coke. We all hate to think Trump did coke.

(how many mentions does it take to get a search engine to go ballistic?)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Aargh. Why is it that people love conspiracy theories so goddamn much?

He he. As much as we are told the Universe subject to the laws of chance and chaos many are simple unable to interpret it that way.

Trump is not some random quirk thrown up by chance but more a car crash waiting to happen. No one would blame the Clinton camp for using every trick in the book to try and prevent it.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This link is for romanlion. In which Hillary Clinton is revealed to be possessed by a demonic spirit of hatred for Christians. This should be a free click. Non-Americans should know that the altitude makes people in Colorado strange sometimes.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The altitude plus the legalized cannabis must make those evil demons extra restless.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

Unfortunately, with Trump you really have to clarify as the other sort of fight is not out of the question for a debate...

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hell has officially frozen over. The Arizona Republic (which was originally called The Arizona Republican -- I kid you not) has, for the first time since it was founded in 1890 -- endorsed the Democratic candidate for President!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Hell has officially frozen over. The Arizona Republic (which was originally called The Arizona Republican -- I kid you not) has, for the first time since it was founded in 1890 -- endorsed the Democratic candidate for President!

The bit that stood out for me was this neat encapsulation of character.

quote:
Trump responds to criticism with the petulance of verbal spit wads.

That’s beneath our national dignity.

When the president of the United States speaks, the world expects substance. Not a blistering tweet.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Over in the NY Times magazine, a columnnist watched the debate and says, "What I would have given for Clinton to offer him a tissue."

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Just wow.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Trump's appeal is in his effort to turn himself into glass. I saw part of a Trump rally in Melbourne, Florida on telly today, and he uses touchstones like he's leading a high school pep rally, he refers to important people at the rally, says how good they are and how honored he is.

Then he talks about the problems of the country without naming them. He says stuff like, "Oh, we have problems. We have big problems. Big big problems people. But it's OK, because we are going to win. We have got to win." In this way, he seeks to paint himself as the solution to whatever problem about the USA the individuals in his audience perceive to be the worst.

I think he's finished with specifics. But the question is whether this mirroring strategy will get the vote out. How is his organisation on the ground going?

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

We're not seeing much of anything here in California, but he'd be a fool to spend much $$ here in this solidly blue state. It would be interesting to hear from shipmates in a swing state.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Full transcript of last night's debate. (Yahoo)

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Arizona Republic has this article on the first TV debate, headline: 'Our View: Clinton takes down a national bully'.

Another thoughtful article. Let's still hope that plenty of Americans will see through Trump's threadbareness and elect Hillary.

[ 28. September 2016, 06:27: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Over on the Fox News website you can read Newt explaining how Donald really won. In part because of his use of facts...

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I glimpse the ground game from way down here in the grassroots of a purple state. And I will say that there is a GOP table at both the farm markets I frequent. One even had one of those cardboard life-sized cutouts of Trump, so that you could take your picture with it. The table was a little lonely, sure, but it was there.
At the other the placards of the local candidates were quite visible, and the Trump sign was off to the side. I did go up and confide to the lady at the table that as long as her candidate was in bed with Trump she had lost my vote.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
Over on the Fox News website you can read Newt explaining how Donald really won.

You know the worrying thing is he could be right. Voters who feel angry and anti-political-elite and all that and who respond to populism will think Trump won that debate. And if there are enough of them then he did really win.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Over on the Fox News website you can read Newt explaining how Donald really won.

You know the worrying thing is he could be right. Voters who feel angry and anti-political-elite and all that and who respond to populism will think Trump won that debate. And if there are enough of them then he did really win.
I thought that when he said 'because I'm smart', when Clinton said he hadn't paid taxes. I guess that lots of people will think that is smart, and it's pretty smart to talk about women as trash, and so on, and be a racist.

I suppose you hope that they're in a minority. It's weird from abroad, to see how professional and capable, and well, tough, Clinton looks, (whereas he looks like a manchild), but then I can see the appeal of someone outside the political class.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Over in the NY Times magazine, a columnnist watched the debate and says, "What I would have given for Clinton to offer him a tissue."

That was actually another New Yorker cartoon yesterday.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
~Tortuf

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was thinking that if I was in a jam, say the gunfight at the OK Corral, or a lifeboat, if you like. Who would you want with you? Why, Clinton, of course, she's tough, she's capable, she knows stuff. Whereas the manchild would be bleating and bloviating all over the place, and trying to make money out of it. View from abroad.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Apparently Trump is denying that he was sniffing, and that it was a faulty microphone that made it sound like he was (I guess the cameras were faulty too, since he also looked like he was sniffing). That could explain a lot of things. All of those insults and nasty comments over the years about women, immigrants, etc., have always been the fault of his microphone! His comments that I was certain I heard (e.g., He doesn't pay taxes because he's smart, Making money off of people who lost their homes to foreclosure during the housing crisis was just good business) were actually slipped into the debate by the microphone technicians!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:
quote:

I thought that when he said 'because I'm smart', when Clinton said he hadn't paid taxes. I guess that lots of people will think that is smart, and it's pretty smart to talk about women as trash, and so on, and be a racist.

I suppose you hope that they're in a minority. It's weird from abroad, to see how professional and capable, and well, tough, Clinton looks, (whereas he looks like a manchild), but then I can see the appeal of someone outside the political class.

All true, but those folks are already in his camp anyway, and they're not likely to budge.

The target in the debates are the undecided voters, who probably don't really like Clinton or Trump. For many of them, the questions are whether Trump is really as bad as he seems, whether they should go for Johnson or Stein, or whether Clinton is good enough and they need to hold their noses if necessary and vote for her so Trump doesn't win. So Clinton's task was to let him take all the rope he wanted and trip or hang himself with it, while trying to make sure she came off looking competent and trustworthy.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
CNN's Fact-checking on the presidential debate makes interesting reading. Hilary's a little fibber! [Hot and Hormonal] One of her key claims was technically true but misleading. (The other 13 were true).

Oh yeah, Mr Trump: 4 true, 2 misleading and 9 False...
So truthful claims Hilary wins 13:4.
False claims, Donald whitewash: 9:0.

Apparently Donald is very upset that the moderator was biased against him because he fact-checked Donald and called him on his false statements.

You've got to feel for Mr Trump, life is tough when reality is biased against you...
[Two face]

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This will cost you a click at the New Yorker, but Adam Gopnik is extraordinarily cogent. Here he argues that Trump is not a bad debater or even a bad candidate. He is a bad man.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Newt Gingrich, who wouldn't recognize a winner if he were betting on the 144,000's chances of being raptured.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Apparently there are thousands of people who were stiffed by the big bag of hair. If I were the Clinton campaign I would see that one of these stories comes out every day, a different one from now until the first week in November. This one is sad because selling pianos is a difficult business in this era of electronic keyboards.

--------------------

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Talk of who "won" is irrelevant. It assumes that the viewers are impartial, will recognise who "won" and cast their votes accordingly - a ridiculous proposition as political debates in all elections are nothing more than a series of soundbites, claims, cliches, one-liners and so on. This is of course particularly so because Trump is involved, but to be honest I have never watched a televised debate between any two politicians that was at all enlightening. It is a dreadful medium for politics.

The real question is whether, as a result of the debate, Clinton is likely to have taken any voters from Trump in swing states, or vice versa. What are US shippies' views on that?

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yikes, some of the commentors BTL seem to think Trumps behaviour is acceptable business practice.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Most of the people who have made their decision were not going to be changed by the debates. Therefore, the prize up for grabs is the undecided voters. Many people put no brain cells into the election until October or so; this debate may have been their first real contemplation of the candidates. The news organs have carefully gathered focus groups of undecided voters to watch the debates, and repeatedly interview. Here is one from the POST (sorry it's not a free click). The gist is that these voters (undecided women in NC) were horrified by the 'it's smart not to pay taxes' thing, and now incline towards Hillary.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

My, my, my. The Donald wanted to schedule a private visit to a civil rights museum, recently, and his staff was so demanding that the museum said "no".

Here's the link to the Daily Kos article. It has a link to the original Salon article. But it also has some...interesting...related story links at the bottom. Like Anne Frank's step-sister, who survived Auschwitz, speaking out against Trump. Jewish seniors are speaking out. A Trump foreign policy advisor seems to be a Holocaust denier. And there's a brief film, aimed at comparing Trump to a certain dictator.

I tell you: if Anne Frank's step-sister speaks out against you, you might as well just go home!

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

There's also the question of how much presidential debates and the winning thereof matter to voters. If you recall 2004, John Kerry thoroughly beat George W. Bush in all three of their debates, yet the voters nonetheless returned W to the White House. This may be a bit different though, since Bush Jr.'s appeal was supposed to be that he was just a regular guy who didn't need all that fancy-pants knowledge to do what's right as President. Trump's appeal, on the other (tiny) hand, is that he's the winningest winner who ever won, so losing a debate directly undercuts his case with the public.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was more hope for Trump today.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Croesos--

Re Kerry losing:

The Swift Boat hoax probably was a big part of it.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A free click laying out the surprisingly elaborate details of Hillary's debate booby-trap. Which Trump tumbled magnificently into.
I would argue that a man so easily lured into difficulty should not be president. Vladimir Putin could play him like a Stradivarius.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Vladimir Putin could play him like a Stradivarius.

Or a kazoo, as was mentioned upthread.

If I looked as male as that, I'd go in for a sex change procedure immediately!

quote:
while Hillary Clinton seemed intelligent and capable throughout the debate, she failed to project the suitable male demeanor
Well, there's always those polyester suits . . . .

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

OK this is purely fun: a satire piece by the great Calvin Trillin. This is in the New Yorker, which limits your access, but is well worth a click. But the title and subhead probably tell you all: "A Trumpian Candidate on Trump’s Corset --
No work shirt for Doughboy Donald. He wears a floppy suit jacket and a baseball hat. What’s he hiding?"

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
No secret that I'm not an Illary fan, but she should be comfortable for the next 24 to 48 hours after having the s**t kicked out of her tonight. ...

Seriously, how exactly did you score this shit-kicking? Number of interruptions? Quantity or quality of word salad? Sniffs? "Believe me"s? One commentator said that Trump's performance made Sarah Palin look like Henry Kissinger by comparison.

And what Marvin the Martian said. It's not clear to me why insulting millions of US citizens on a regular basis is more becoming of a President than workplace sexual harassment.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016