homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 103)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A free click laying out the surprisingly elaborate details of Hillary's debate booby-trap.

Illary should have run away more quickly when she set her "trap".

If she wants to run on 20 year old stories, with a protagonist like this, well...bless her heart...

Not only is Trump immune to this kind of crap at this point, but it opens the door to any of the dirt from the Clinton 90's.

Bad move...

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
romanlion--

--H only quoted what T said publicly, on the record.

--The National Enquirer usually isn't a dependable source for real, accurate news. It's a tabloid. Once in a while, they do break an accurate story.

Even if the allegations are true, Trump still said vile, misogynistic things about the Miss Universe winner.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If Donald wants to go after Hillary based on tabloid stories...

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Romanlion Someone lost the debate, but it was not who you think it was. She is getting a fairly sizable bounce because of her performance. Look for Nevada and Florida to return to the Clinton camp. Maybe even North Carolina.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
Over on the Fox News website you can read Newt explaining how Donald really won.

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
You know the worrying thing is he could be right. Voters who feel angry and anti-political-elite and all that and who respond to populism will think Trump won that debate. And if there are enough of them then he did really win.

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
There's also the question of how much presidential debates and the winning thereof matter to voters. If you recall 2004, John Kerry thoroughly beat George W. Bush in all three of their debates, yet the voters nonetheless returned W to the White House. This may be a bit different though, since Bush Jr.'s appeal was supposed to be that he was just a regular guy who didn't need all that fancy-pants knowledge to do what's right as President. Trump's appeal, on the other (tiny) hand, is that he's the winningest winner who ever won, so losing a debate directly undercuts his case with the public.

I was thinking of the Bush Kerry encounters as well. I don't know if that was as simple as saying the debate didn't matter to voters, as you say Bush's regular guy vs Kerry's oh-so-clever-elite could have played well with voters.

In Trump-town they see Trump as unlike the typical clever-talking politician and the straight, strong guy who tells it like it is. Seeing the debate through that view could easily lead one to conclude that Trump was being blunt and straight-talking and Hillary was being all clever, political and slippery.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
Illary should have...

The persistent name calling really looks very Trump on you.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The thing that kills me about Il Duce’s Miss Universe comments is this: he is himself rather fat.

I am aware that generally a person’s weight is no marker of their moral fortitude. However, the Donald has himself made a huge deal out of this issue, and no one seems to have mentioned to him that he could do with losing a few pounds himself. (Also, if I had his money, I would so not be eating at McDonald’s.) I know, he thinks it’s different for women. But still.

And since I’ve gone down the rabbit-hole of women’s physical appearance, am I the only one bemused by the claim that Hillary Clinton is not attractive? I don’t find her particularly ugly. That white pantsuit? She looks great in it.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To gross misogynists like Trump, "ugly" is not based on any assessment of a woman's appearance (not that it would be any more valid if it were), it's just shorthand for "uppity bitch who disagrees with me".
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The dirt from the Clinton 90s - hmm. Is there a suggestion that Trump might start talking about Bill's affairs? Well, that would really be a good move by Trump, certainly.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm hearing that a new Trump slogan is:

"Seriously, ladies, many of you could lose a few pounds."

Vote winner!

--------------------

beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
The dirt from the Clinton 90s - hmm. Is there a suggestion that Trump might start talking about Bill's affairs? Well, that would really be a good move by Trump, certainly.

Except that would give the Clinton camp carte blanche to start (further) raking around in Trump's Skeleton Cupboard.
I have a hunch there may be even more to be found in the furthest corners. He might not fancy any more scrutiny.

While demolishing Trump's character further may not gain Hillary much more traction (his followers don't care how despicable he is and for some of them its a positive asset), it wouldn't surprise me if she has a couple of bombshells like that in reserve for the 3rd and final Debate.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
To gross misogynists like Trump, "ugly" is not based on any assessment of a woman's appearance (not that it would be any more valid if it were), it's just shorthand for "uppity bitch who disagrees with me".

It's still odd, though. When I was at school the good looking and/ or athletic kids got to mock those of us who lacked those qualities. But when you see Trump having a go at Miss Universe, or for that matter, Frankie Boyle having a pop at Rebecca Addison's looks my first thought is always: "frankly, it would take a very bad light for anyone to remotely mistake you for a young Apollo" and I'm always slightly surprised that the victims don't seem to point this out.

I know that Miss Universe's are supposed to avoid controversy but in the vanishingly unlikely event that I ever got the gig and Donald Trump had a pop at my looks I'd be like: "Dude, I'm Miss fucking Universe, and I got the job because I am smoking hot and want greater understanding between nations and you, sunshine, are a fat xenophobic twat with a rug on his head, so go fuck yourself". If the current Miss Universe requires a speech writer my rates are very reasonable.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
quote:

Except that would give the Clinton camp carte blanche to start (further) raking around in Trump's Skeleton Cupboard.
I have a hunch there may be even more to be found in the furthest corners. He might not fancy any more scrutiny.

While demolishing Trump's character further may not gain Hillary much more traction (his followers don't care how despicable he is and for some of them its a positive asset), it wouldn't surprise me if she has a couple of bombshells like that in reserve for the 3rd and final Debate.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I notice that Trump said he didn't do it out of respect for Chelsea, yeah, pull the other one, the one with bells, dream-catchers, and Accrington Stanley season tickets on.

I think you're right. I thought that various Trump henchmen/women have tried it, and it tends to backfire, badly. Let's talk about infidelity in marriage, then, shall we? Well ...

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
Illary should have...

The persistent name calling really looks very Trump on you.
Yes, it's really become quite tiresome. Why aren't you attacking Mrs. Clinton's policies, not her human frailties and certainly not those of her husband?

Of course, Trump has no policies and so there is nothing left to attack except his despicable self.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

And since I’ve gone down the rabbit-hole of women’s physical appearance, am I the only one bemused by the claim that Hillary Clinton is not attractive? I don’t find her particularly ugly. That white pantsuit? She looks great in it.

I was digging her upscale mom haircut the other day. Practical, but shiny.

Back in the day where people were sane about this sort of thing, people would have called her " handsome." But one of the hallmarks of this generation's version of misogyny is the way women are divided into " hot" and "ugly". In the past I've called it " the physical one percent." By making it a failing to be simply average, you give yourself permission to hate most women, while shielding youself from the reality of your own misogyny by telling youself, " But she's not a real woman."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fear not! Dem female senators suggest that The Bag Of Hair is so fat, a daily public weigh-in would be only appropriate. Even his attenuated and exiguous medical release concedes that he is very nearly obese.

I think a corset question would be entirely appropriate. Perhaps he wears Spanx? (the spandex undergarments that firm up your wobbly tum)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From the article:

quote:
As for The Donald’s actual weight, we have some clues. A gushing doctor’s note released Dec. 14, 2015 said Trump had lost “at least 15 pounds” in the prior year, though it did not state his original weight.]
Dude, I'm always losing 15 pounds. [Roll Eyes]

[ 29. September 2016, 14:35: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I notice that Trump said he didn't do it out of respect for Chelsea, yeah, pull the other one, the one with bells, dream-catchers, and Accrington Stanley season tickets on.

That was pretty much Chelsea Clinton's reaction too:

quote:
And candidly, I don’t remember a time in my life when my parents and my family weren’t being attacked, and so it just sort of seems to be in that tradition, unfortunately.
Shorter version: If you're trying to spare my feelings about my parents' past marital problems, that ship sailed long ago.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

I was digging her upscale mom haircut the other day. Practical, but shiny.

Back in the day where people were sane about this sort of thing, people would have called her " handsome." But one of the hallmarks of this generation's version of misogyny is the way women are divided into " hot" and "ugly". In the past I've called it " the physical one percent." By making it a failing to be simply average, you give yourself permission to hate most women, while shielding youself from the reality of your own misogyny by telling youself, " But she's not a real woman."

There's an element of consumerism as well. Men in the fiscal 1 percent in particular seem to think of women's beauty as a commodity to be bought and sold like everything else your wealth entitles you to. An average looking woman is just a cheap polyester sweater from K mart

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Interesting points about Hillary as a woman. Presumably, this is a powerful if unconscious factor in the election. Some men (and some women) probably don't like seeing a woman up there standing for President at all. But also some men (and some women), don't like to see a woman who looks real, kind of old, wrinkly, and so on.

It's a kind of double misogyny. First, being a woman in power is offensive to some; second, not being a blow-up doll with blond hair, and pneumatic boobs, is also offensive, as it's too real.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When you don't want real, you end up electing actors as President or Governor.

I'm not convinced Trump isn't acting a part (or, several different parts), what you're seeing isn't entirely the real Trump but a projection of what he thinks America wants to see. Judging by the polls, if that's what he's doing then he's managed to pitch the act just right for a very large number of people. Of course, putting on an act is also a major part of any salesman - put on the act that you're convinced this is the best product ever, even when you know it's bit of cheap crap that's not going to work properly.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

One time on Facebook I went on this rant about how women should start an Ugly movement-- just take the power of that word away. Because that's what it is about-- power. If women are to be judged on their physical appearance, and 99% of women don't fit what the hive mind has decided is The Ideal Woman, that is a substantial chunk of the population you get to discount.

I think many politicians are starting to realize that just because you have been ignoring someone doesn't mean they aren't voting.

So, the Ugly movement means, if I am ugly, so be it. There are far more ugly people than perfect people. Disproportionately more. So fucking consider my ugly ass going to a voting booth.

The guy I was ranting to said, "But Kelly, you're not ugly at all!"

[Roll Eyes] Can no one see my vision?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I doubt if Trump dares to bring up Bill's affairs, and imply or state that Hillary is therefore a bad woman by contagion. Surely, the women's vote for him at that point starts to crumble.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, I don't think that bit is a mystery at all. Any comment he could make about Bill would generally apply to himself. Pretending to take the moral high ground in this situation is smart.

[ 29. September 2016, 16:01: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Being silent is smart, (about so many things), but I guess Trump finds that hard. His filters are a bit leaky.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I can see it, and I'll gladly join you on the barricades. [Biased]

I've already decided I'm just going to refer to myself as "fat" and screw the people who don't like it. I AM fat. And for someone to get startled and say, "But LC, you aren't..." and then trail off into silence... well, [Killing me]

Maybe if we all own the ugly words long and loud enough, the jackasses will quit braying.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You may have seen this, over on the Guardian: a call for fat people to unite against denigrators like Trump.

And Samantha Bee says, “No, you had a stunningly beautiful Miss Universe winner and you treated her like garbage. Now you have a real problem – not only with her but with every woman who’s ever been called fat. Which is all of us!”

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I doubt if Trump dares to bring up Bill's affairs, and imply or state that Hillary is therefore a bad woman by contagion. Surely, the women's vote for him at that point starts to crumble.

Starts to crumble? One of the most notable markers of the Trump candidacy to date is his weak support among . . . well, any demographic group that isn't both white and male.

quote:
Oh, I don't think that bit is a mystery at all. Any comment he could make about Bill would generally apply to himself. Pretending to take the moral high ground in this situation is smart.

Even without Trump's excessive personal baggage the usual tactic would be for the candidate to stay clean and delegate the job of "going negative" to various surrogates. The running mate usually does so most publicly, but there are typically others. It will be interesting to see if Mike Pence works out a way to work it in to his debate against Tim Kaine next week.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The last time Monica Lewinsky was in the news, Hillary got a considerable boost in her ratings. The GOP is very anxious to not do this again. This is from Salon and should be free.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I predicted, Nevada and Florida have moved into the Clinton camp. North Carolina is also going from pink to light blue. Ohio starting to go to light pink as well. If Ohio goes blue, it is over.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yet another damning assessment of Trump's character. This should be a free click, but uses strong language.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
One time on Facebook I went on this rant about how women should start an Ugly movement-- just take the power of that word away. Because that's what it is about-- power. If women are to be judged on their physical appearance, and 99% of women don't fit what the hive mind has decided is The Ideal Woman, that is a substantial chunk of the population you get to discount.

I think many politicians are starting to realize that just because you have been ignoring someone doesn't mean they aren't voting.

So, the Ugly movement means, if I am ugly, so be it. There are far more ugly people than perfect people. Disproportionately more. So fucking consider my ugly ass going to a voting booth.

The guy I was ranting to said, "But Kelly, you're not ugly at all!"

I do. That's why I hate all that "everyone is beautiful" "find your inner beauty" "your uniqueness is your beauty" shit. The majority of humans are not (considered) beautiful, and unless one happens to find oneself competing in a beauty pageant, it shouldn't fucking matter to anybody at all.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
I hate all that "everyone is beautiful" "find your inner beauty" "your uniqueness is your beauty" shit. The majority of humans are not (considered) beautiful, and unless one happens to find oneself competing in a beauty pageant, it shouldn't fucking matter to anybody at all.

This is why we need more fairy tales about ordinary-looking people.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly and others, I'm with you. Ugly is a judgement that most often reflects badly on the user. Its use in the right context can be domestic violence too.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Well, I'm doing my part. The heroine of the current work is not young and famously ugly to boot.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yet another damning assessment of Trump's character. This should be a free click, but uses strong language.

The strong language was nowhere near as offensive as Trump's attitude.

Huia

[ 30. September 2016, 04:24: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
As I predicted, Nevada and Florida have moved into the Clinton camp. North Carolina is also going from pink to light blue. Ohio starting to go to light pink as well.

Depends on which models you're looking at. But in any event, the election is 39 days off. I suspect we'll have a stressful 39 days watching the models move back and forth a bit in the swing states.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:

The strong language was nowhere near as offensive as Trump's attitude.

Huia

He has not hesitated to use foul language, usually to women.

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
As I predicted, Nevada and Florida have moved into the Clinton camp. North Carolina is also going from pink to light blue. Ohio starting to go to light pink as well. If Ohio goes blue, it is over.

I'm not counting any chickens but the direction of travel is one I approve off.

Whilst, still unlikely, it is not impossible that Hilary could win Texas. That would signal a complete wipe-out in the electoral college.

But I'll take 270 every day of the week... Two more strong debate performances should be enough.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is a long, interesting and somewhat sad story fron the NYTimes: in which bewildered evangelicals plan to vote for Trump. (If you've used up all your clicks you get a new batch tomorrow.)
Particularly sad is their plaint that they are now the minority, and how did that happen? They don't like it. That Jesus Himself was emphatically an oppressed minority (being a Jew in a conquered province in the Roman Empire, you know) never seems to occur to them.

--------------------

Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ye gods, he doesn't know when to stop digging , does he? [Confused] [Help]

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But he doesn't think he is in a hole, does he? And if he is on high ground, to his eyes, keeping digging is good.

Idiot. (I gather that insult derives from Ancient Greek, where someone who was not considered to be concerned for the polis was seen as being entirely focussed on self.)

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Oh, I agree, one should not count their chickens before they hatch, but it is good to see the trends firming up for Hillary, to the disappointment of some of our shipmates.

And now it Trump is getting desperate, spending last night Tweeting about some alleged Machado sex tapes.

On top of that, it has now reported that the Trump Charitable Foundation did not have the necessary papers to legally collect donations.

And USA TODAY is saying Trump is unfit for the presidency. This goes with a number of other Republican newspapers refusing to endorse their national party's candidate.

It would be something to see Texas go blue. Has not happened since Lyndon Johnson.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The USA Today endorsement is of significance because since its founding the paper has made a policy of being nonpartisan. Its goal has always been to be the national paper, as it were. They would not get off the fence unless the editorial board felt it was very important indeed. And although the paper is not the densest or deepest of publications, it is all over, like white on rice, widely distributed.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
And now it Trump is getting desperate, spending last night Tweeting about some alleged Machado sex tapes.

I don't think he's desperate, he just can't help himself. Desperation would require Trump to believe his campaign is in trouble, and he seems mentally incapable of seeing himself as a winner.

Is it wrong for me to hope Hillary Clinton retools her old "3 A.M." ad about Trump's obsessive late night tweeting?

[ 30. September 2016, 17:32: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there any reason Trump is so fixated on Alicia Machado after 20 years? Did she, perhaps, refuse his advances back then (when she was 19 and he was 50)? With any normal sane candidate, I would ask why he thinks attacking this particular private citizen now will advance his campaign, but Trump is not a normal sane individual.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Is there any reason Trump is so fixated on Alicia Machado after 20 years?

Yes. Trump is fixated on Alicia Machado after all these years because H Clinton brought her up in the debate Monday night. He can't let something like that go; he has to try and show why his actions and comments were justified and the other person in question deserved whatever treatment he gave them. All of which, of course, the Clinton campaign knows and undoubtedly was counting on.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On one of the links I have read, I think I saw that the only bank which would deal with him was Deutsche Bank.
Could something interesting be brewing?

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[referring to Nick's post.]
Totally. It's like when the attorney asked Queeg about the strawberry incident in The Caine Mutiny. Rather than accuse someone of a fixation, you give them an opportunity to demonstrate it.

[ 30. September 2016, 18:47: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By 3 A.M. tonight, Miss Machado will have eaten all the strawberries and his little hands will be flipping from the OK sign to spread fingers at an alarming rate.

[ 30. September 2016, 19:43: Message edited by: Twilight ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016