homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 109)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Unlike Trump's supporters, the writers of Kings recognised that being a God- appointed whatever didn't make everything you did righteous.
My point is, anybody who would use the stories of the kings as apologia that God supports such behavior in people in authority is not really reading what is written. The whole reason the stories were included was to condemn the despotic excesses of royalty.

You're still missing my point. I'm not saying how they should be interpreted but how they are likely to be interpreted. Trump's Christian right supporters don't justify his past acts - witness mousethief's linked article. They just need to believe that Trump is their best chance of having the SCOTUS they would like.

And can point to kings, however wayward they were and however reluctantly God allowed them in the first place, being the ones who more or less upheld God's rule in the land in preference to anarchy - the era of the Judges (when "every man did what was right in his own eyes") being adduced, contra the Mennonite position, as evidence of this.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I understand fully and completely how the more entrenched supporters will use this. ( Exacly how Elijah Mohammed did, in other words, and that's part of what made Malcolm X leave the Nation of Islam.)That doesn't make it any less wrong. The slim hope is that less entrenched. people who are actually deep down interested in what God has to say will hear a still small voice that will bother them, if they hear this rhetoric

[ 08. October 2016, 20:13: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looking at Trump's apology:

He only apologized for the words he used. He did not apologize for his own admitted actions (which is sexual assault) and he did not apologize to his wife.

Looking at Melena's statement: she said she found his words offensive, but she has forgiven him. Again she does not mention the women he admits to assaulting.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seen elsewhere: "I hope someone at the town hall debate asks him when he stopped grabbing women by the crotch."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Looking at Trump's apology:

He only apologized for the words he used. He did not apologize for his own admitted actions (which is sexual assault) and he did not apologize to his wife.

Looking at Melena's statement: she said she found his words offensive, but she has forgiven him. Again she does not mention the women he admits to assaulting.

She hasn't been around much, since the convention. It is obvious that she only gets brought out when convenient, to say what the advisers put into her mouth. Does anyone blieve that she ever expresses her true feelings?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Does anyone believe that she ever expresses her true feelings?

Not in public, nor in the presence of her husband. [Frown]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
The moral bankruptcy in mousethief's linked article is truly appalling.

It has been my thesis that American Christianity lost its way in our era by getting into bed with conservative politics. They got into bed with Trump and now they're screwed.
To be fair, Conservatism did not have to lead to Trump being the Republican nominee. The variables involved in getting to this point are too numerous to conclude this all was inevitable. And a lot of American Christianity was not all that happy with Trump well before this week.

To me I see this all as a possible outcome when a branch of Evangelicalism mostly based in the South did not address the internally felt white anger at the events of the 60's without attempting to create a path to truth and reconciliation.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Seen elsewhere: "I hope someone at the town hall debate asks him when he stopped grabbing women by the crotch."

Personally, I hope some male celebrity walks up to him and grabs Donald's crotch, explaining that it's OK because "I'm famous".

Of course, the celebrity will probably want to take a silkwood shower afterwards...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

David being the top case in point. He took Bathsheba as his property, arranged for her husband, one of his Mighty Men, to be killed, and did nothing about the rape of Tamar by Absalom. He nevertheless goes down in OT history as one of the greatest kings in Israel.

I feel the need to point out that both of those anecdotes seemed to relate times when David had clearly lost the plot and needed someone else-- a prophet, a son, an advisor-- to pull him up short. The Bible allows for the fact that kings can be total assholes at times.
Trump is attempting to say that the video doesn't represent his character. Problem is, there are enough other signals dotted through the campaign to indicate that it's entirely consistent with his character.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are whispers out there of worse stuff. And cries of culpability towards NBC who owns and has stored this video - "Surely somebody knew it existed" etc. etc.

Lots of mud will fly all over about this.

Meanwhile, wikileaks, with Assange very very peeved at the Clintons for years, has been dropping stuff that in a normal election would probably be pushing Clinton off stride and nobody is noticing.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
True. But not enough of them for Trump to win. Hispanics, African Americans, and women together represent a lot more than half the votes and he is going to lose out big time with them. Even if 60% of the remaining males are closet male chauvinist pigs. Which I guess they might be.

Perhaps not enough for him to win the popular vote. But the people don't elect the president, the Electoral College does.
True. The excellent 538 Election Forecast website has predictions on three different sets of assumptions, the most conservative of which gives Hillary a 90 vote lead in the electoral college. And this in advance of the impact of the offensive tape. Nate Silver observes that opinion has indeed been volatile during the campaign. But Trump is significantly behind and likely to fall further behind. The Sunday debate is particularly ill-timed for him in view of the latest scandal and his poor performance last time. And he's running out of time to recover. I don't think the Wikileaks release is going to help him a lot.

Short version. He's forecast, with good reason, to lose big.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
quote:

David being the top case in point. He took Bathsheba as his property, arranged for her husband, one of his Mighty Men, to be killed, and did nothing about the rape of Tamar by Absalom. He nevertheless goes down in OT history as one of the greatest kings in Israel.

I feel the need to point out that both of those anecdotes seemed to relate times when David had clearly lost the plot and needed someone else-- a prophet, a son, an advisor-- to pull him up short. The Bible allows for the fact that kings can be total assholes at times.
Trump is attempting to say that the video doesn't represent his character. Problem is, there are enough other signals dotted through the campaign to indicate that it's entirely consistent with his character.
Also consistant with his character is his complete inability to hear people who try to pull him up short.

Also, Here's where I expanded on what I said. My use of the word " allow" seemed to be misinterpreted a page back, so I clarified.

Trump's attempt to win over Christians is infuriating bullshit-- he has lived and continues to live as if he is answerable to no one, least of all any God. His attempts at mumbled Christianese are as laughable as that shaggy dog story about LBJ eating a tamal with the corn husk still on, trying to bond with the Chicanos. The post I linked above explains why I believe the references to David only should tell people who theoretically follow Scripture that Trump is really playing with fire.

[ 08. October 2016, 23:53: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At this point, I think it is safe to say Hillary Clinton will win. The question is by how much.

It feels not only that Clinton will win, but that the GOP will suffer a great loss. We might have a progressive government in the United States with both the White House and Congress securely in Democratic hands.

Hopefully, then for the next few years, the debate will be between the centre and the centre left with the Republicans completely marginialized from the national conversation.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
I would like an I Voted sticker, or maybe an animal stamp on your hand (I'm being serious here [Smile] )

So what you really want to see is a Trumpstamp

Though, accurate placement would drop it a bit further south

OMG, I hope that's a transfer, for that girl's sake.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This link won't change any minds, but it is fun. Starts slow, but picks up quickly.

Worksafe video. Unless you are not allowed to view videos at work or your boss is a total moron and supports the orange blowhard.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sen. John McCain has officially withdrawn his support for Trump. (Business Insider) He and his wife are going to write in the name of a deserving Republican.

(Himself? [Two face] )

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Og--

Any idea why Assange hates the Clintons so much?

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just counting my chickens here, but what does it take to abolish the filibuster rule? I think it's only in the senate, but would it need like a 3/4 vote to change the rule? I personally think that the filibuster is the biggest stumbling block to effective government at the federal level. A majority of both houses and the Presidency should be more than enough to get your programme through.

--------------------
Human

# 3200

So US Presidential politics is such that one candidate is preparing the night before a debate to respond to when the other candidate says, without a shred of proof, "Your husband is a rapist, raped womem in the white house and you made sure none of the women he raped got heard."

He's going to come out hard and fast with that one because Trump has no patience. Sure, he's going to get slammed for the video and for other things.

But everybody is waiting for that question.

--------------------

# 3200

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Og--

According to a few articles like
this one from Vox, she represents, in his mind, everything he hates about the US - two faced liberal imperialism.

In essence, better the devil you do not know then the one you do.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At this moment the only hope to purify the GOP is fire. They need to see a catastrophic loss, one that cannot possibly explained away by all their usual evasions and excuses. The hope was that when Romney lost this would do it, but no. Maybe this time they will face reality.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sen. John McCain has officially withdrawn his support for Trump. (Business Insider) He and his wife are going to write in the name of a deserving Republican.

(Himself? [Two face] )

Sarah Palin?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

simontoad--

Well, in the US, I think the biggest problem at the federal level is being so partisan that the parties have to sit separately. (They used to be interspersed. Not sure when that changed, but I think it was some time after Watergate.)

Whether a filibuster is good or not depends on which side of the issue you're on. "Us" = It's a dramatic way of fighting for what's good, and reining the other side. "Them" = Oh, they're just trying to get publicity.

Plus there's a thread of US culture that sees a filibuster as sort of a down-home, power-to-the-people, championing-lost-causes sort of thing. Have you ever seen the film "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington"? Rather naive guy winds up in Congress, trying to do the right thing. Very dramatic filibuster. There's also "Billy Jack Goes To Washington", which is pretty much the same, except Billy Jack is half Native American, and also a martial artist.

Anyway, I don't think we'll get rid of the filibuster, and I don't think we should.

Has the Aussie legislature had filibusters?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Pigwidgeon--

LOL. She wishes! If there's any hint of that, Tina Fey will need to clear her schedule, so that she can portray Sarah Palin on "SNL" again!

--------------------

# 3200

quote:
At this moment the only hope to purify the GOP is fire. They need to see a catastrophic loss, one that cannot possibly explained away by all their usual evasions and excuses. The hope was that when Romney lost this would do it, but no. Maybe this time they will face reality.

The problem for the Republicans is the base for the party is filled with other loathing. When the world is seen to be conspiring against you, against your religion, against your race, against your family, against your view of the world, its not your fault for trying to cleanse that through the best way you see.

When this way is stopped from succeeding, its once again the fault of others. The fault is never in the choice of the tool itself.

Religion could play a role in changing this view, with a call to societal repentance and reconciliation. But three aspects of Evangelicalism as practised in the States stops that:

• Evangelical exceptionalism, in particular an unwillingness to listen to anybody but those you accept as brothers in the Lord
  • a deep belief that the world is out to get Christians
  • End times thinking which has placed a higher call to personally repent then to listen to others while adding a touch of conspiracy fear of being deceived
  • A firm belief that certain societal issues (abortion, gay rights) are the only way to judge anybody, be they politicians or not, and that succeeding at those issues is more important then any other reason to vote for somebody

[ 09. October 2016, 01:45: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In which a historian compares the Tiny Fingered One to all the other tyrants of the past.

--------------------

# 3200

Yes, I edited in a 4th. For over 30 years, I have been running into single issue politics focused people among my fellow Evangelicals. They see justice in terms of certain things, not the whole. Justice for the unborn, justice for those having to live in a society accepting what they consider sin.

These people reject the notion Canada has never really been a Christian country and the US really has not scratched beyond the surface of what that means. To them, these 2 North American countries were Christian and can be returned to if we only get the right people in charge again. I would note this line of thinking can be found among non-Evangelical Christians in both countries - I have heard the same pretty much from both Catholics and others. Thus, they would support a man like Trump, flawed as he is, because he promises to give the US government the tools it needs to make the US Christian again (SCOTUS and other judge appointments).

Reality is us of a more liberal thinking also seek out leaders who can do this - but there is a line that should not be crosesd.

[ 09. October 2016, 01:58: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is delightful: a clear articulation of why women are angry about this. Yes. Let them feel that pain, in November. Let them be driven, lamenting, from their seats of power, and their tears burn as they trickle down past their neck ties. They put there hands down there, and there were teeth. Let them draw back a bloody stump.

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That wasn't LBJ, it was Gerald Ford. Trust me, Johnson knew how to eat a tamale.

[ 09. October 2016, 03:07: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I heard it was apocryphal, and applied to a few different presidents/ vices/ random political schmucks. First version I heard was about LBJ Anyway, it's the image that matters.

[ 09. October 2016, 03:15: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Given that LBJ was from Texas, he'd probably at least seen tamales eaten, even if he hadn't eaten one himself.

Presidential candidates do trip up on dealing with things outside their cultural bubble.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GOP. It might be old, but grand? What a degredation of a once great democracy.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
simontoad--

Well, in the US, I think the biggest problem at the federal level is being so partisan that the parties have to sit separately. (They used to be interspersed. Not sure when that changed, but I think it was some time after Watergate.)

Apropos your comment, I searched for some background information on this.

This page on the House of Representatives web site describes the evolution of seating traditions and disputes; apparently seating by party bloc was well established by 1845 (and it's also pretty old in the Senate.)

I've read opinions to the effect that partisanship is amplified by the fact that politicians of different parties no longer socialize together; they typically don't move their families to DC as they used to, but instead fly home for the weekends.

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Dave--

Thanks. Hmmm...I've heard, in various news stories the last several years, references to sitting interspersed that sounded much more recent, and that it had a big impact on partisanship.

If I get a chance later, I may dig around a bit.

Thanks again.

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
...what does it take to abolish the filibuster rule? I think it's only in the senate, but would it need like a 3/4 vote to change the rule?

A majority vote of the Senate, and a willingness to weaken tradition and make it more likely that the other party will do the same against you in the future. Such a vote is sometimes referred to as "the nuclear option."

The rules of the Senate are adopted by a majority vote, and can me amended the same way. The Democrats have had enough experience as the minority party to know to use the threat of fillabuster gently or it can be taken away. That makes it less likely that they would eliminate it in most cases. But they might find an occasion to let a fillabuster continue without withdrawing the bill if they think it will reflect badly on the Republicans in the eye of the electorate. That could bring all other Senate business to a halt for weeks...

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
GOP. It might be old, but grand? What a degredation of a once great democracy.

And it's not even the older of the two parties. The Democrats date back to the late 1820s, the Republicans to the 1850s.

Not that that's really a great sin for the Republican Party(and I personally use "GOP" as a time-saving nickname), just a bit of an oddity.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Given that LBJ was from Texas, he'd probably at least seen tamales eaten, even if he hadn't eaten one himself.

Presidential candidates do trip up on dealing with things outside their cultural bubble.

I think I read somewhere that Johnson had taught in hispaanic-majority schools when working as a teacher, pre-politics. So yes, he probably had pretty close contact with Mexican culture.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
Og--

According to a few articles like
this one from Vox, she represents, in his mind, everything he hates about the US - two faced liberal imperialism.

In essence, better the devil you do not know then the one you do.

Assange is alot like Trump, petty, vindictive and lots of women trouble. That guy needs to go face the music in Sweden.

--------------------
Human

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah, you guys are right, the fact that I was originally told the wrong president in this story pretty much negates the point I was making. People should take Trump's sudden involvement in Christianity at face value. He's a deeply religious man. Obviously, because I got the tamal story wrong.

By the way, it's two tamales, one tamal. [Razz]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now, allegedly a comment from Pence's facebook page, and in support of my take above:
quote:
"Trump won't win the purity award for sure, but if biblical Christians look back throughout the bible, there were MANY men who fell short of your view of righteousness. How about David....a murderer, adulterer and he was considered a man after God's own heart."

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
simontoad--

Whether a filibuster is good or not depends on which side of the issue you're on. "Us" = It's a dramatic way of fighting for what's good, and reining the other side. "Them" = Oh, they're just trying to get publicity.

Plus there's a thread of US culture that sees a filibuster as sort of a down-home, power-to-the-people, championing-lost-causes sort of thing. Have you ever seen the film "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington"? Rather naive guy winds up in Congress, trying to do the right thing. Very dramatic filibuster. There's also "Billy Jack Goes To Washington", which is pretty much the same, except Billy Jack is half Native American, and also a martial artist.

Anyway, I don't think we'll get rid of the filibuster, and I don't think we should.

Has the Aussie legislature had filibusters?

I don't believe any of our Parliaments have filibusters, but I stand to be corrected.

I have seen the Jimmy Stewart film, but not the other one. My understanding of the filibuster might be jaundiced, but if it allows one person to get on their feet and delay passage of a bill until they stop talking, or (freakishly) until they have talked for a period of time that is deemed to be sufficient then it is a clear abuse of the democratic process. Broadly, a majority of members of a legislative body must be able to pass any lawful legislation they choose, and a future assembly of that body should be able to amend or repeal that legislation by the same process.

If a minority dislike a proposed piece of legislation, their remedy is to engage in political action, by lobbying, persuading, cutting deals, using public pressure and all the usual tools in the arsenal of a good politician. To allow some hick beanpole like Jimmy Stewart to get on his feet and block passage is anti-democratic madness. Jimmy should lobby, and if he can't convince his fellow legislators of his view, he needs to rally public support and chuck the bums out at the next election, no more than 2 years away at any time, if I understand your federal election cycle properly.

TLDR Summary: Filibusters are very very stupid.

--------------------
Human

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Yes, I edited in a 4th. For over 30 years, I have been running into single issue politics focused people among my fellow Evangelicals. They see justice in terms of certain things, not the whole. Justice for the unborn, justice for those having to live in a society accepting what they consider sin.

These people reject the notion Canada has never really been a Christian country and the US really has not scratched beyond the surface of what that means. To them, these 2 North American countries were Christian and can be returned to if we only get the right people in charge again. I would note this line of thinking can be found among non-Evangelical Christians in both countries - I have heard the same pretty much from both Catholics and others. Thus, they would support a man like Trump, flawed as he is, because he promises to give the US government the tools it needs to make the US Christian again (SCOTUS and other judge appointments).

Reality is us of a more liberal thinking also seek out leaders who can do this - but there is a line that should not be crosesd.

I'd consider lining people who reckon Canada was never a Christian country up against a wall. They are freaking dangerous, and I am not kidding.

--------------------
Human

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

(UK's Sunday Mail front page headline on the 2005 clip: "TV star who could cost Trump the White House"; talk about victim-blaming...)

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Does anyone believe that she ever expresses her true feelings?

Not in public, nor in the presence of her husband. [Frown]
Someone had to have sent the New York Times copies of his income taxes that they published. One of his wives perhaps?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Tonight's SNL ("Saturday Night Live", on NBC) has a very relevant opening sketch (longer than usual). And the host is Lin-Manuel Miranda, who created and starred in "Hamilton". Don't miss his opening monologue!

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Yeah, you guys are right, the fact that I was originally told the wrong president in this story pretty much negates the point I was making. People should take Trump's sudden involvement in Christianity at face value. He's a deeply religious man. Obviously, because I got the tamal story wrong.

By the way, it's two tamales, one tamal. [Razz]

For the record, Kelly, I wasn't calling into question the overall validity of your anecdote, I was just fine-tuning the details. I agree, it's still a relevant comparison, regardless of which POTUS it's about.

A similar story I heard was about McGovern walking into a kosher deli and ordering a beef hot dog with milk(Jews can't mix meat and milk, apparently). That one seems a little far-fectched to me, because a) it seems a little too perfect, and b) who drinks milk with a hot dog?

[ 09. October 2016, 07:06: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sorry, dude. I just got a little loopy.

And I think that is what I meant by "shaggy dog" story; I keep hearing different variations on this motif featuring different politicians and different complicated ethnic foodstuffs.

I'm totally right about "tamal", though. Screw you, spellcheck.

[ 09. October 2016, 07:15: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Sorry, dude. I just got a little loopy.

And I think that is what I meant by "shaggy dog" story; I keep hearing different variations on this motif featuring different politicians and different complicated ethnic foodstuffs.

I'm totally right about "tamal", though. Screw you, spellcheck.

No problem. Reading it over, it seems that posters, myself included, were continuing with the correction even after you'd stated that you knew the story might be apocryphal. So I get how that could seem a little like a pile-on.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Now, allegedly a comment from Pence's facebook page, and in support of my take above:
quote:
"Trump won't win the purity award for sure, but if biblical Christians look back throughout the bible, there were MANY men who fell short of your view of righteousness. How about David....a murderer, adulterer and he was considered a man after God's own heart."

And yet Hilary's wrongdoing (very small beer in comparison) warrants screamed insults?

Life gets weirder by the second.
[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm rewatching the "Dexter" series because I crave sanity.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016