homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 118)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  115  116  117  118  119  120  121  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The Tiny Fingered One.

Ahhh. Thanks.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@Brenda.

"Meanwhile, here was the candidate yesterday, blaming all his problems on Jews and an international conspiracy. There's no bigotry like an old classic bigotry, eh?"

From the link:

From the speech:

The Clinton machine is at the center of this power structure. We’ve seen this first hand in the WikiLeaks documents, in which Hillary Clinton meets in secret with international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty in order to enrich these global financial powers, her special interest friends and her donors.

“International banks” — that’s not an anti-Semitic dog whistle; it’s a sonic boom.

From me: paranoia works both ways. This is hysterical nonsense.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
romanlion--

quote:
Even if she wins, Illary and her rapist husband will be DOA day one.

Ummm, just what are you trying to say here? That they'll be assassinated? And/or you're hoping for that???
Yes, obviously.

Bill and Illary will be assassinated on inauguration day.

Just. Fucking. Wow.

[Roll Eyes]

You can get that looked at you know. I'd recommend chemical castration at least as well. Camomile tea. Basket weaving. Arf. ARF!ARF!ARF!ARF! [Ribbit. RibbitRibbitRibbitRibbitRibbitRibbitRibbit]
Marvin,
Disagree if you like, strongly. Others have done so above But you should know better than to attack the person here.
Gwai,
Purgatory Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The 7 Oddest Things Donald Trump Thinks: Why the man who wants to be leader of the most powerful nation on earth prefers fast food, no sleep and old-school flame retardants. (Politico)

And there are stranger things.

That actually explains a lot. The perfectionism thing, of course, has been on display throughout the campaign-- right down to his inability to admit that he has such a simple, ordinary "weakness" as a common cold which causes him to sniff into a microphone.

But the other entrenched unhealthy habits-- particularly the desire to sleep only 4 hours a night-- go a long way toward explaining the paranoia, the irrationality, the lack of focus, and the penchant for 3 am self-destructive tweets.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think perfectionism is anywhere close to the correct word.
I think it is more associated with the germaphobia than a need for perfection.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More free links:

Others have noted the veiled anti-Semitism.

The people really to be pitied in this debacle are those who have put their full faith in the TFO.

A long reportorial piece from Molly Ball after she attends yesterday's Trump rally in Florida.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
<snip> he possibly has the boundless libido that some teen boys seem to have<snip>

...Or, perhaps none. Some of the Good Old Boys™ around here who talk and grab like the Donald has claimed to do, were, according to their wives, non-functioning. Much to their great relief.
That was my thought as well. So much of Donald's schtick feels like posturing-- it's not really like a teen age boy learning to handle that rush of hormones, rather, it's about puffing himself up to look like The Dominant Alpha Male in front of his male peers. Whether he can actually make good on the promise (or rather, threat) in the bedroom is irrelevant (to him anyway).

And that fact that we are both talking about that also goes to how sick this campaign has become. There are real, serious issues to be discussed both nationally and globally, yet we've spent most of the last 12 months talking about the size & functionality of one candidates' sexual organ.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
quote:
quote:
romanlion--

quote:
Even if she wins, Illary and her rapist husband will be DOA day one.

Ummm, just what are you trying to say here? That they'll be assassinated? And/or you're hoping for that???
Yes, obviously.

Bill and Illary will be assassinated on inauguration day.

Just. Fucking. Wow.

[Roll Eyes]

You can get that looked at you know. I'd recommend chemical castration at least as well. Camomile tea. Basket weaving. Arf. ARF!ARF!ARF!ARF! [Ribbit. RibbitRibbitRibbitRibbitRibbitRibbitRibbit]
Marvin,
Disagree if you like, strongly. Others have done so above But you should know better than to attack the person here.
Gwai,
Purgatory Host

Ma'am.

May I ask this not to be laid at Marvin's door but mine?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, stupid typo. Defintiely you I was trying to yell at.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
More free links:

Others have noted the veiled anti-Semitism.

My apologies Brenda!

Jewish control of international banking.

Hopefully when the glorious regiment of women defeat him he'll sink without trace and tale his insane filth with him.

--------------------
Love wins

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

This is too funny to let pass.

Unless it is poor form to comment on a non-host post by a host referencing a Host-post by that very host.
In which case, this post never happened...

[ 14. October 2016, 18:20: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From the New Yorker, the state of play as of today. I don't like the 'Trump pulling down the temple on himself' image at all; it makes me nervous.

The power of Michele Obama. This is one of a very large number of pieces about how women have found the TFO upsetting and enraging.

However, the best one of this type is surely this one. This should be a free click.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
And that fact that we are both talking about that also goes to how sick this campaign has become. There are real, serious issues to be discussed both nationally and globally, yet we've spent most of the last 12 months talking about the size & functionality of one candidates' sexual organ.

I disagree. I'd classify disagreements about whether women are full, autonomous citizens to be both a real and a serious issue. I'd like to think it was already settled in the affirmative, but recent events indicate there seem to be a fairly powerful faction arguing that the answer is 'no'.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

This is too funny to let pass.

Unless it is poor form to comment on a non-host post by a host referencing a Host-post by that very host.
In which case, this post never happened...

I actually noticed that and thought it was funny enough to leave in, so not just you. [Smile]

On a more on-target note is anyone else bothered that so many people are half-jokingly suggesting Michelle O for president? It's not that I mind her running, if she wants to. But it implies that wife is the right way for a woman to start getting ready for a presidential run.

(Yes, I'm fully aware who Hillary Clinton is married to.)

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

She never will. Too much sense of self-preservation.

Over at the Post, The Fix points out that Trump will never concede. This is not good.

And the Howard Stern Show has always been hellish, but adding the TFO makes for a dumpster fire of amazing proportions. I am seeing many articles now about how the election is lost for the GOP.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the problem with seeing Michelle Obama as presidential material is not that she is married to a president, it's that we don't see any other women with the qualities which would fit them for it.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I think the problem with seeing Michelle Obama as presidential material is not that she is married to a president, it's that we don't see any other women with the qualities which would fit them for it.

I see lots of women with the qualities that would make them excellent presidents. The problem, rather, is that there are so many "glass ceilings" that keep women from progressing to the types of positions where they would gain the experience we would like to see in a president. Which is why gender equality is not just about electing Hillary to the presidency (although that's a great start) but about nurturing respect and creating opportunities for women at all levels of society.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When asked, sometime back, Michelle said she didn't have the temperament to be president.

Watching her passionate, recent speech about Trump's behavior towards women, I thought she might be good to have on the Supreme Court. But that would be a life sentence, and I don't want to do that to her. She seems to have been shifting gears lately, IMHO, in terms of behavior, persona, and appearance. Whether she's looking forward to getting out of DC in January, or focusing on advocating for Hillary, or just wants to be more comfortable, I don't know. I wish her well.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
She never will. Too much sense of self-preservation.

Over at the Post, The Fix points out that Trump will never concede. .

So what?

He will lose and be forgotten in no time imo.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie--

As long as he doesn't concede, there will be disruption. Worse than Bush v. Gore. His followers will be sure the election was stolen, as Trump predicted, and possibly decide to Do Something About It. And even clearer-thinking people will have a wisp of concern in their minds, because things weren't properly done.

ETA: And no, he won't be forgotten. That's not how things work here. He might become a conspiracy theory--whether publicly, or the kind that has its own special magazines, forums, and semi-secret conventions. There are lots of things like that. Worse, Hillary will be the focus of the theory, and they'll *never* let go of it.

[ 14. October 2016, 21:23: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Whether she's looking forward to getting out of DC in January, or focusing on advocating for Hillary, or just wants to be more comfortable, I don't know. I wish her well.

Actually, the Obamas are staying in DC so that Sasha (their younger daughter) can finish high school there.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The TFO attacks his accusers, calling them too ugly to be fuckable and so forth.

A man writes of his failure as a human being. It is fair to say that he would not have written this piece ten days ago.

These should be free clicks. This one is from the POST: Ruth Marcus reporting. The money quote: "If there is any silver lining to this dreadful election, it is to expose the persistence of such distorted thinking. To teach boys and men that such behavior is unacceptable, no matter how powerful their position. And, most of all, to embolden girls and women to speak up, not submit, when they feel that hand, inching toward its target."

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Pigwidgeon--

Ah, interesting. With them buying a mansion in Chicago, I thought they were going back right away.

Good on them, for considering their daughter's needs.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I had not remembered that it is 25 years since the Anita Hill hearings. It is sad that workplace sexual harassment is still such an issue. Maybe in another 25 years we'll be better.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cliffdweller:

[Overused]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At one point there was some enthusiasm behind Elizabeth Warren.

However, I suspect she's perfectly happy in the Senate where she can grill the heads of banks.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
A man writes of his failure as a human being. It is fair to say that he would not have written this piece ten days ago.

This is frickin' awesome!! This guy gets it, owns it, and ends with:

quote:
Women of the world, we have failed you. We have thoroughly, unfailingly, systemically failed you.

The question now, before we even begin to address forgiveness, is: Can we stop?

Thanks for this, Brenda. And in Esquire, no less!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

However, I suspect she's perfectly happy in the Senate where she can grill the heads of banks.

We definitely need her, and a lot more like her, in the Senate.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You knew he would eventually get around to it, and he did. I believe that in the Trumpian mind unless women are beautiful they simply ought not to exist. I suppose this is somewhat better than the old idea that they exist only for their fertility.

And the ruby-red State of Utah is in play! Amazing, but Mormons seem to actually vote their morals, unlike many Congressmen.

And, oh Lord. There is going to be one more debate. We should organize a drinking game.

--------------------

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Trump needs is a witness who can confirm that the assault of the lady on the 'plane didn't happen, right?

So... being Trump, he's found one!

Only... being Trump, he's found the least credible, least reliable, least honest person on the planet, about whom more can be found here.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

With Donald in freefall, there is even the slim hope that we might regain the Senate, and make Sen. Warren the Senate majority leader.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teekeey Misha:
What Trump needs is a witness who can confirm that the assault of the lady on the 'plane didn't happen, right?

So... being Trump, he's found one!

Only... being Trump, he's found the least credible, least reliable, least honest person on the planet, about whom more can be found here.

[Roll Eyes]

He's clearly decided to brazen it out - I suppose there is no other choice. Given his allegation that he is being smeared, he's just going to smear back with anything he can find. He might need to find quite a few more dubious witnesses as the numbers of allegations increase. But given the collective mindset of his core support, just about anything will work. To judge from some of the interviews with them, many of them think like members of a cult.

The irony is of course that he has been smearing Hillary for months. "Crooked Hillary! Lock her up!" etc.

The latest 538 forecasts suggest that he may have stopped the haemorrhaging of support and even had a very slight bump up. But I think published polls may not yet reflect the Michelle Obama effect.

Nate Silver is saying "watch New Hampshire". For the geeks among us, here is a typically detailed and informative analysis.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post 
I pray that all good-thinking American liberals have their passports up-to-date. If Trump wins, they are going to want to get out. Surely?

[ 15. October 2016, 11:19: Message edited by: leftfieldlover ]

--------------------
I can gauge your mood from your approach to food.

Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

No, you can't do that. You have to stay and fight it, otherwise there's no one to hand when he finally tanks. (Remember, the man is 70.)

However, the prudent American adjusts all her pension investments, so that when the stock market goes into freefall under President Trump she isn't beggared.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leftfieldlover:
I pray that all good-thinking American liberals have their passports up-to-date. If Trump wins, they are going to want to get out. Surely?

Assuming you're serious, no. Never. This is my country, my home.

Moreover, I don't have the means to leave. Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand - basically any English-speaking country where I'd consider living if I were going to leave the US - none of these places would let me immigrate. I have no family in these places and no special skills to contribute, and I don't have money to invest.

And given Brexit, perhaps I should take the UK off that list. The UK has arguably screwed itself harder even than the US would were we to elect Trump, as he'd be out in 4 years, and the UK will be out of Europe for the foreseeable future.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is short, free, and funny: when was the last time you saw Neil Degrass Tyson and J.K. Rowling quipping about Trump?

It is worth following Trump Time Line over at the Atlantic Magazine, because James Fallows is an excellent writer. He is trying to pick out the one Trumpism of the day every day -- we are now up to #141. He can't keep up, of course, but we can watch him try.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Women of America! SAVE US!!

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

NPR's Weekend Edition interviewed a conservative pundit (I don't remember the name as it was someone I didn't know and I was driving). One exchange:

Q: Do you think Donald Trump is damaging the Republican Party brand the way the Galaxy Note 7 is damaging the Samsung brand?

A: We only dream of the Galaxy Note 7. At least when it's not catching fire, you can use it to make phone calls.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

From the Guardian:

If, as is argued here, the election is a referendum on male entitlement then a Dem blowout is essential. We have to turn this corner, into the 21st century, and women are going to have to force the change.

As with the collapse of all authoritarian regimes, the flaming ruin of the Trump campaign will bring carnage and chaos. Civil war with the GOP, who's got the popcorn?

If only it could be confined to his own party, The TFO seems willing to destroy the country if he can't have it.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

As with the collapse of all authoritarian regimes, the flaming ruin of the Trump campaign will bring carnage and chaos. Civil war with the GOP, who's got the popcorn?

Popcorn? More violence is the legacy of Trump. People will be attacked, people will die.
This will happen more often, as will this.
So keep the popcorn, I will will not be entertained by the outfall.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My father talked again of his growing up in the Tiergarten (Berlin) and the 1933 election. If 1/3 or 1/4 of your electorate still support someone with so obviously a deformed personality and character, you will not be out danger after your election.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(To NP&c)
I have a distant cousin in Atlanta. His entire family is composed of, if you' ll forgive me, rednecks. Every time he posts a pro- Clinton article on Facebook, the resulting thread turns into a bloodbath. Of course that won't stop happening after the election ends. Only an idiot would think so, and you are not currently conversing with idiots.

I am positive the residents of Berlin were fully aware that they were in pretty deep shit prior to Hitler's election-- in fact, I believe entire books have been written about how the deepening unrest of the time affected art, literature, and film. Sure, Berlin was one of the party capitals of Europe, but as I pointed out on the Halloween thread, very often an increase in partying signals an increase in unrest.

Similarly, if you think that the people you are addressing are wandering around in some happy daze unaware of the deep pockets of ugliness this election year has exposed, you are mistaken. We are fully aware that, even in the best case election scenario, people have been stirred up and won't settle down. Because ( just to use my contacts as an example) those people include: a step sibling, a nephew, the girl I used to sit next to in church when I was twentysomething, a guy that Sis and I used to bowl with, and more than one person who held the common chalice we drank out of.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The Washington POST has an excellent Faith column, which is especially good this week:
A Christian woman calls out pastors for excusing and enabling people like the TFO.

And a call for evangelical leaders to get out of bed with him.

There are already a good many stories pointing out how this is the end of Christian domination of the culture. Here's only one of them.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I first saw that last article, my response was, "Good. Now we can have a healthy church in America." That's probably an entirely different thread, though.

[ 15. October 2016, 20:18: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The Washington POST has an excellent Faith column . . . . And . . . a call for evangelical leaders to get out of bed with him. There are already a good many stories pointing out how this is the end of Christian domination of the culture.

Alas, I've used up all my POST freebies for the month. Perhaps you could paraphrase?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I'm sure people have seen the articles from (white) Christians moaning about the trend. There was a long depressing one in the POST only last month. Somehow being on top for all your life (and your parents and grandparents before you) meant that any change was a failure of the faith. Perhaps people really do (as in another thread) need to read the Bible more.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly - full disclosure. My father was the son in a family of 5 children. His family, my grandfather is the only one who got out. I have pictures of his cousins in brownshirts, blackshirts etc with the evil cross on the armbands.

The point I think is that knowing you're in deep trouble doesn't prevent what might happen. Yes, they knew it.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Then I don't understand the effect you intended to have with that comment. The best intentions I could ascribe to it was a warning. But if you concede that Americans most likely already know what you are saying, it comes off like some person at a circus calling out, "You're gonna fall, get ready to fall, here comes that fall I warned you about!" to someone on a tightrope.

When the Brexit vote was happening, everyone gathered around the Britmates and hoped for the best till the bitter end. I remember my stomach plunging when I read the news, and really understanding the general despair.

Quite frankly, some of your posts ( and a couple others) come across like you are looking forward to seeing the country suffer at the hands of this disturbed individual. I hope that is not true. Because the thing is, it wouldn't just be whatever Larry the Cable Guy stereotype you have in mind that would do the suffering--it would be the people of color, the working class women, the overworked and underpaid, the teachers, the students, the children.

So if you are warning about disaster-- see my last post, but if you are hinting that there is no hope for anything but the worst to happen-- I rebuke that sentiment, I have to. You would, too, if it were your home.

[ 15. October 2016, 21:17: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

But for the rest of us, there is hope! Trump is over 70; surely he cannot have more than another decade of fumbling crotches and ogling teens left in him.

Oh I dunno ... Murdoch, Hefner, anyone? [Projectile]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Why do these fuckers live so long? Seriously, Hefner is a walking cadaver.

[ 15. October 2016, 21:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  115  116  117  118  119  120  121  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016