homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 119)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  116  117  118  119  120  121  122  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is a manifestly unfair comparison Kelly. [Disappointed]
Cadavers are useful.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A call for complete Trump shunning after the election. I am good with this. I never want to see his face or name again, and ten times ten never to hear his voice.

Female conservative pundits have been wonderfully encouraging this cycle. I really admire
Jennifer Rubin at the POST now. She has the creds and has used them to speak truth to power -- for all the good it has done, since power doesn't want to listen.

And here's a Fox news host refusing to take it anyu more.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I just don't get is why idiots of my own party (yes, I am/was (maybe) a Republican ) should be fool enough to harbor the illusion that they're going to be able to contain and control Trump after he wins. They can't fucking do it now.

I'm hoping desperately to see him go down in flames in a month (or sooner, please?). It's far better than anticipating the inevitable impeachment.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do not feel sorry rfor the Republican Party, the dogwhistle just became easier to hear, the tune it is playing remains the same.
I do feel sorry for the American people, the polarisation, present and forthcoming, will not be pretty.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A call for complete Trump shunning after the election. I am good with this. I never want to see his face or name again, and ten times ten never to hear his voice.

Female conservative pundits have been wonderfully encouraging this cycle. I really admire
Jennifer Rubin at the POST now. She has the creds and has used them to speak truth to power -- for all the good it has done, since power doesn't want to listen.

And here's a Fox news host refusing to take it anyu more.

Someone was marveling at the level of dickheaditude that would lead to the Great Ladies in Red Uprising, and I had this to say: " Look at it this way, they may have accidentally found a way to bypass lateral homogenization and get women to choose solidarity over rivalry."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glenn Beck praises Michelle Obama I guess they are indeed eating ice cream now in Hell.
This is an audio link, but among other things Beck says, "And I don’t even mean on Donald Trump. I mean on the conservative movement. A devastating attack. We have been talking about, “There is no War on Women.” You just handed them a War on Women. And they took it. And if you listen to her words carefully, oh, my gosh, oh, my gosh, they are co-opting women, and it will work."

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, "Oh, my shocked little panties, they've co-opted our wimmins!"

Fair enough to co-opt a demographic you've consistantly insulted and alienated.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The one good thing in all of this is The Trump has removed What's Her Name from the news as the dumb one. Wonder who it will take to remove Trump. God forbid it can get worse down the road. Please may he just fade on his own.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have begun to wonder if Trump is actually going insane, publicly. He is becoming more and more incoherent, irrational, by the day. His platform persona has become truly bizarre.

If there are any more Fox News defections - and I have a gut feel there may be - that would indeed be a sign. There comes a point when you realise that you are defending the indefensible. That point must be getting very close.

[ 16. October 2016, 00:35: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

OK, this is excellent. White supremacist poster boy bails out of the movement. And how was this done? His fellow college students invited him to Shabbat meals. What a great, a hopeful story.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I have begun to wonder if Trump is actually going insane, publicly. He is becoming more and more incoherent, irrational, by the day. His platform persona has become truly bizarre.

The man is unstable. All his comments about Clinton being unstable are projections.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Then I don't understand the effect you intended to have with that comment.

I am frightened. Too much of this rhymes.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Cool. Maybe I'll win the Nobel.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
np--

Do you mean "history rhymes", and Trump's campaign rhymes with that of a certain brown-shirted guy?

(Terry Pratchett said "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme".)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re election rigging and auditing:

--"The Election Is Not Rigged": Important Tweetstorm by prominent GOP election lawyer.

Sent from the law firm, really, rather than from one lawyer. The author makes some good points, but IMHO downplays the possibility *too* much.

So I'm including...

--Black Box Voting started a couple of years after the mess of the 2000 US election.

It's "a nonpartisan investigative reporting and public education organization for elections".

From the "About" section:

quote:
You may be wondering what the term "black box" means. A "black box" system is non-transparent; its functions are hidden from the public. Elections, of course, should not be black box systems.

Influential reporting by Black Box Voting is referenced worldwide. Here is a link to a free copy of the book, Black Box Voting: HERE. Author Bev Harris became known for groundbreaking work on electronic voting machines, which can remove transparency of the vote count; other important reporting pertains to voter lists, election chain of custody, transparency problems with absentee voting, election industry corporate governance, and financial accountability in elections.

Opaque, non-transparent voting can afflict voter lists, poll lists,vote counting and chain of custody; political finance can also be "black box." The road to better transparency begins with knowledge and public, grassroots dedication. I am glad you are here!

The navigation banner at the top of the page has a link to the free BBV book. And that page has some interesting info, like the White House ordering it, and bin Laden reportedly having it on his bookshelf.

The political geeks (no offense!) on the thread will probably especially like the site.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

And again, people have been noting the similarities practically since Trump set up his campaign office. But that still doesn't explain to me why NP would assume those of us who stand the chance of being governed by this guy would somehow be less frightened or less motivated to defeat this guy than he would.

I mentioned the classroom with the teachers muttering about "el bestio" . One was a native of Michoacan , the other from Peru. They are terrified. For good reason, Trump has out and out said he'd prefer people like them be back where they came from. Every child I have served in the last three months has been of Central/ South American heritage. I am fairly sure a lot their parents are here on work visas, and some of them might have undocumented family members. It is quite possible, if extreme right policies are put into place , the populations of entire classroms I have served will vanish.

If you think I am not scared enough, NP, you could not be more wrong. I'm trying not to give in to it.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by leftfieldlover:
I pray that all good-thinking American liberals have their passports up-to-date. If Trump wins, they are going to want to get out. Surely?

Assuming you're serious, no. Never. This is my country, my home.

Moreover, I don't have the means to leave. Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand - basically any English-speaking country where I'd consider living if I were going to leave the US - none of these places would let me immigrate. I have no family in these places and no special skills to contribute, and I don't have money to invest.

And given Brexit, perhaps I should take the UK off that list. The UK has arguably screwed itself harder even than the US would were we to elect Trump, as he'd be out in 4 years, and the UK will be out of Europe for the foreseeable future.

I'm happily married, but I have a friend who might be available. He has citizenship in Australia and Ireland, and is a snappy dresser.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Kelly--

This is just a guess: I wonder if np is trying to say something like "my family experienced the brown-shirted guy, and those who could get away came here; I don't want that happening again next door; please do something about it"?

I.e., maybe it's more a matter of fear and panic, than thinking Americans are stupid or not paying attention.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

The man is unstable. All his comments about Clinton being unstable are projections.
Was he ever sane or stable?

At the least he seems to have a severe personality disorder.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

No, he's always been that way. If you are inclined, look up what you can about his very stupid feud with Rosie O'Donnel. Or the origin of the hand thing.

But the way he has been front and center seems to be deepening the problem. I think he's heading for a real meltdown.

--------------------

leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post 
quote:
No, he's always been that way. If you are inclined, look up what you can about his very stupid feud with Rosie O'Donnel. Or the origin of the hand thing.

But the way he has been front and center seems to be deepening the problem. I think he's heading for a real meltdown.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if that meltdown happened at the final debate?

--------------------
I can gauge your mood from your approach to food.

Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As much as the guy is despicable, I'm not sure if I'd want him to have a public meltdown. There's also his followers and backers who wouldn't like that; they may well have something/someone even more despicable in mind to go on with, should this happen. (Let's not forget, the TFO has been accused of a 'scorched earth' tactics.)

I wouldn't wish a public breakdown on anyone. The sense of glee by their opponents as a result isn't nice to watch either. Relief perhaps, but a merciful, kind, because realistic response would make more sense, whatever that could be.

All we can hope and work for is that the truth comes out, the Trump goes out, and some sort of reaching out (within the realms of the possible) to the misguided minds and hearts of his followers might ensue and indeed be possible.

The deep divides that are showing, and the bitterness and hatred among many of his supporters ought to be softened, though I admit I don't quite know how. A successful economy could help, I suppose; many who feel oppressed would feel less so, if they had decent jobs and decent pay, as just one example. They would be less desperate to vote for the TFO and his ilk.

[ 16. October 2016, 09:39: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had a look at the earlier Wikileaks 'highlights' and admit to being underwhelmed by their significance. I suppose if the US 'non-Fox' media get bored with Trump's shenanigans between now and election day, they might make a big thing out of the more embarrassing bits. And Assange might have more up his sleeve.

Later edit. The dump I've read about today actually does look dangerous for Hillary, but I suppose a lot depends on whether Assange's summary is borne out by the detail.

[ 16. October 2016, 11:42: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
So we have one presidential candidate who, a few weeks back, nearly collapsed in the street due to pneumonia and now the other bordering on the edge of a mental breakdown on stage.

Bring on the the clowns.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, hopefully Hillary has recovered from her pneumonia. The Orange-Headed Man has not, it seems, recovered from his insanity.

Wednesday's debate is set fair to be....er....interesting. But why have it anyway? Surely there's little more to say....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
So we have one presidential candidate who, a few weeks back, nearly collapsed in the street due to pneumonia and now the other bordering on the edge of a mental breakdown on stage.

Bring on the the clowns.

The clowns are already here, Rolyn. The US has had a nationwide rash of creepy stalkers and criminals dressed in clown suits. It's so bad that real clowns are losing their usual party business.

I wouldn't mind Trump having a breakdown on stage if it would lead to his devoted fans doubting some of his latest conspiracy theories. They are set to make lasting trouble for America if they lead everyone to believe our elections are rigged.

Link

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

Bring on the the clowns.

You can't possibly think an infectious disease that one can recover from, and mental illness, are at all comparable. Please tell me you realize this is a false equivalence.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
(Let's not forget, the TFO has been accused of a 'scorched earth' tactics.)

It is not an accusation, but an observation. You can debate the motive, but the actions are apparent.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

No, there is hope. If the son of a white supremacist, the godson of David Duke no less, can change, it is possible. (I realize I am a deeply optimistic person.)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
As much as the guy is despicable, I'm not sure if I'd want him to have a public meltdown. There's also his followers and backers who wouldn't like that; they may well have something/someone even more despicable in mind to go on with, should this happen. (Let's not forget, the TFO has been accused of a 'scorched earth' tactics.)

I wouldn't wish a public breakdown on anyone. The sense of glee by their opponents as a result isn't nice to watch either. Relief perhaps, but a merciful, kind, because realistic response would make more sense, whatever that could be.

Hear, hear. The thought of witnessing that is shudder- making. I hope it doesn't come to that. And as you say, there would be a lot of collateral damage.

The human being in me worries that this guy is primarily a danger to himself, but I will leave it at that.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've had a look at the earlier Wikileaks 'highlights' and admit to being underwhelmed by their significance. I suppose if the US 'non-Fox' media get bored with Trump's shenanigans between now and election day, they might make a big thing out of the more embarrassing bits. And Assange might have more up his sleeve.

Later edit. The dump I've read about today actually does look dangerous for Hillary, but I suppose a lot depends on whether Assange's summary is borne out by the detail.

I think the impact of anything from wikileaks is much diminished by the fact that its CEO is an alleged rapist and fugitive from justice and, to all practical intents and purposes, a Russian asset. Frankly, if a drone goes whistling through the basement window of the Ecuadorean Embassy, the day after Hilary's Inaguration, someone else can write the letter of protest to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Wednesday's debate is set fair to be....er....interesting. But why have it anyway? Surely there's little more to say....
Ian J.

Exactly, it has almost before pure voyeuism and, as I myself recorded the last one, virtually irresistible.

Not sure if this can be confirmed by US shipmates but I heard that when these debates are televised in public places Americans, normally chatting or scrolling I-phones, are absolutely rivited.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

@ Callan

I think that's a perfectly adequate defence in any other election but this one. Much of the leaked material just shows 'how sausages are made'. But this is a mud-slinging travesty of an election campaign.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
np--

Do you mean "history rhymes", and Trump's campaign rhymes with that of a certain brown-shirted guy?

(Terry Pratchett said "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme".)

You have smoked the quote, an ace I couldn't place.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Kelly--

This is just a guess: I wonder if np is trying to say something like "my family experienced the brown-shirted guy, and those who could get away came here; I don't want that happening again next door; please do something about it"?

I.e., maybe it's more a matter of fear and panic, than thinking Americans are stupid or not paying attention.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.

Yes yes yes.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
@ Callan

I think that's a perfectly adequate defence in any other election but this one. Much of the leaked material just shows 'how sausages are made'. But this is a mud-slinging travesty of an election campaign.

Well, yes, we are into the first post-truth and post-decency-in-public-life election. Still, it is ironic that the party of Nixon, McCarthy and Family Values are basically rooting for a Jimmy Saville expy with worse hair and George Wallace levels of naivety about Russia cheered on by a latter day Alger Hiss with a side order of sleaze. Never mind the party of Lincoln and Eisenhower, the old GOP at its very worst had a better grasp of the US national interest and sexual morality.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

First, I again refer to the typerope analogy. What does it accomplish to take the walker's focus from the task at hand by predicting their fall?

Second, since you confirmed GK's interpretation, "please do something about it", well, this thread should give more than enough evidence that we the You People are talking about it, arguing about it, campaigning about it, agonizing about it, panicking about it, praying about it, and you can bet your damn boots we are voting about it. It seems to me all that would be left is "making plans to flee" ( for the record, my passport is up to date) and illegal activity.

If she added that bit overzealously, then what I get is that you are finding this conversation triggery, and I can understand that. But my work with one of Trump's hated demographics has really plunged me up to my neck in the reality of how terrified they are of this guy.

To give you an idea-- remember the scene in "Schinder's list" where people are organizing their living arrangements in tne Warsow Ghetto, and they are bustling around and quibbing with each other and bending the ears of the local Judenrat with angry protests? Not very far off from that. Only instead of being formally sent to a ghetto, rich businessmen are quietly buying up their housing and raising their rents and the bustling involves trying to figure out where to relocate your life.

And a lot of these women left situations that they are afraid they are now about to return to. They have verbally expressed this. They have verbally expressed that going home might be more stable than living under Trump-- except in reality they would be leaving home. I'm not having that.

I have nowhere near the reason to panic these women have, but I am looking to find a new town/ job/ living arrangement this year, so the thought of what would happen to my profession, my job prospects, and my health insurance if this bestia got elected could consume me if I let it. I feel I am better off just working and praying and fighting for that to just not happen. Never. No.

[ 16. October 2016, 19:57: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Trump is setting the stage for violence should he win or lose. If he wins, the racists and the haters in his base will feel justified and encouraged. If he loses, his ridiculous accusations of "election rigging" is giving them the excuse to vent the anger he has built.

Let's not forget how long he kept up his birther bullshit attack on President Obama. If past is prologue, eight years from now he'll still be shrieking that Hillary stole this election and she'll be finishing up her second term.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

In which case I hope the media acts out that blackout they keep threatening.

In any case, when people who essentially agree with each other start quibbing, it's time for a little levity.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
In any case, when people who essentially agree with each other start quibbing, it's time for a little levity.

She's laughing hysterically at this spoof of her. Whereas her opponent wants 'Saturday Night Live' taken off the air after poking fun at him (and Hillary). Granted, SNL's send-up of Trump was harsher, but a little sense of humor goes a long way, and he would have done better to laugh it off.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Callan wrote:

quote:
George Wallace levels of naivety about Russia cheered on by a latter day Alger Hiss with a side order of sleaze
I think you mean Henry, not George.

And who is "Alger Hiss" in the Trump campaign?

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A discussion of Trump's gaslighting tactics.

His mirroring of evangelical dogma.

The rapey stuff making it difficult for his party supporters. Poor things!

These should be free clicks.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

She's laughing hysterically at this spoof of her. Whereas her opponent wants 'Saturday Night Live' taken off the air after poking fun at him (and Hillary). Granted, SNL's send-up of Trump was harsher, but a little sense of humor goes a long way, and he would have done better to laugh it off.
Agreed. I loved her reaction ( especially when the image of Bill went by. )

As for Trump, I'm sure Sarah Palin is playing the world's tiniest violin for him right now.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The TFO's self-enclosed bubble of reality.

And since September Clinton has more than doubled her lead in my home state of Virginia, riveting a once-red state firmly into the Dem column.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

As for Trump, I'm sure Sarah Palin is playing the world's tiniest violin for him right now.

I was just remembering that Sarah's response to Tina Fey's impersonation of her on SNL was to make her own appearance alongside Tina Fey. She may be a dimwit, but she at least had a sense of humor.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You know who I think of with fond nostalgia, is Mitt Romney. Binders full of women, how sweet, how gentle! Instead we have this, the shambolic disintegration of the campaign.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Yes! I also loved her quip that that's the best she's ever danced.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
You know who I think of with fond nostalgia, is Mitt Romney. Binders full of women, how sweet, how gentle! Instead we have this, the shambolic disintegration of the campaign.

Gaaaa. WaPo.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
In which case I hope the media acts out that blackout they keep threatening.

I very much doubt it.

To my mind the media are fuelling speculation about a rigged election simply by repeatedly reporting this wholly unsubstantiated claim instead of challenging it.

They are always itching for conflict of any kind because it's good for ratings.

I doubt Trump would ever have been a candidate had he not been a reality TV star (how prescient Bono was, when fact is fiction and TV reality).

The media are doing at least as much if not more to exacerbate the problem as to deal with it.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
I was just remembering that Sarah's response to Tina Fey's impersonation of her on SNL was to make her own appearance alongside Tina Fey. She may be a dimwit, but she at least had a sense of humor.

Heh, I forgot about that. That was a classy move.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  116  117  118  119  120  121  122  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016