homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 120)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  117  118  119  120  121  122  123  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Three cheers for the positive stuff on page 119, especially the stuff from US Shipmates. I'm not sure I would have any degree of perspective on the election if I was over there.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This strikes me as a very good report on the state of play. I hadn't realised that the undecided percentage was still relatively high compared with 2012. The 'shy Trump supporters' argument strikes me as a real risk given the undoubted polarisation, the candidate antics, and the 'outsider' mindset. It doesn't take more than about 3 out of a hundred of those polled to hide behind 'undecided' just for the 'fun' of thumbing their noses at the pollsters.

On the other hand, the NBC poll is reported to be showing Hillary 20 points ahead with women voters. I find that very easy to believe. The 'disgusted' factor strikes me as very likely to be in play right up to November 8.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
[...]

Gaaaa. WaPo.
Why gaaaa WaPo? Irony? Sarcasm? Not a fan of that paper? Anything else?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've seen/heard very little info about Mary Anne MacLeod Trump, Donald's mom. I knew she was from an island off Scotland, but that was about it. So I poked around online. Wikipedia mentions her, in passing, on Donald's page. But she has no page of her own, even though her husband does.

The New Yorker has a good article on her.

The Christian Science Monitor also has a little bit on her in an article on Trump's immigrant connections.

NOTE: If you go looking for more info, there's a rather scary picture of her on various sites. She was in her '80s, and her trademark hairdo had become extreme. Some say it's identical to Donald's hair. I don't see that, but there are echoes. Anyway, I had a strong "OMG!" reaction to it, so I'm not posting a link. But if you do a web search on "Trump's mother", you can easily find it in the articles on the first page.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to say that when reading the latest Trump focus on "election rigging" my immediate reaction was to channel Victor Meldrew.

He really is crazy.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And he can win. 15% are undecided. Another unprecedent.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Callan wrote:

quote:
George Wallace levels of naivety about Russia cheered on by a latter day Alger Hiss with a side order of sleaze
I think you mean Henry, not George.

And who is "Alger Hiss" in the Trump campaign?

Quite right, I got my Wallace's mixed up. At least I didn't invoke Ian. Or William. [Hot and Hormonal]

Alger Hiss is Assange. There's not much difference, morally, between passing confidential information to the Russians and leaking it to influence the election of the Russian government's preferred candidate in an election. If someone was pulling that sort of thing to get a Democrat elected at Brezhnev's behest, back in the day, the Republicans, quite properly, would have been incensed. We live in very strange times.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

Of course, he can win. But the odds are not at all in his favor.

Even with 15% undecided, he'd have to get a much larger share of them than he has of the decided voters. That may be an even bigger task this year that it would normally be. It appears that one reason for the unprecedented numbers of "undecideds" this year is because they really, really don't like either of the two main choices. These are not people Trump can likely woo easily. It is just as likely, if not more likely, that they'll end up voting for a 3rd party candidate or not voting at all.

And Trump not only has to get the lion's share of undecided voters, he has to get them properly distributed in the right states to win—it does him no good to get all 15% if they're all in states he would win anyway. Based on a recent Quinnipiac poll, the number of undecided voters seems to be closer to 6% in Florida, 4% in North Carolina, 4% in Ohio and 7% in Pennsylvania. Unless he can also get Arizona, he'd pretty much need to get something close to all undecided voters in these 4 states to get over 270 in the Electoral College.

So he can win, but as of now the actual chances of him winning appear to be pretty low, around 15%.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Three cheers for the positive stuff on page 119, especially the stuff from US Shipmates. I'm not sure I would have any degree of perspective on the election if I was over there.

God bless you, sir.

First thing in my news feed today: a guy beat a Chicago Transit Authority bus driver over the head with a bag of frozen chicken. People are losing it.

Oh, and some shithead tried to burn down the GOP campaign headquarters in Atlanta, GA. yesterday.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Oh, and some shithead tried to burn down the GOP campaign headquarters in Atlanta, GA. yesterday.

But some Democrat set up a Gofundme and a group of mostly Democrats raised $13k toward repairing the damage. That's the kind of bipartisanship it's encouraging to see.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I haven't seen anything about an incident in Atlanta. Do you maybe mean the Orange County (NC) GOP HQ in Hillsborough? Someone tossed a Molotov cocktail through a window there. (Apparently it went out on its own.)

Meanwhile, some Democrats started a gofundme campaign to raise $10k for rebuilding at the Republican HQ. They met and exceeded the goal in 40 minutes.

Edit: Cross-posted with mousethief—again assuming we're talking about Hillsborough, NC, and not Atlanta.

[ 17. October 2016, 13:42: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, sorry, misremembered.
And I hadn't heard about the gofundme thing. Cool!

[ 17. October 2016, 13:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
quote:
[...]

Gaaaa. WaPo.
Paid subscription firewall.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is annoying, I agree, that so much of the POST's excellent political coverage is behind their paywall. Here are some free stories:

This is from the Beeb: the ABCs of Hillary hatred. It is some comfort to reflect that all political figures are foci for irrational emotion. I am still waiting for Obama to initiate that Muslim caliphate; he's let it drag 7 1/2 years now and has left himself almost no time to spread his Sauron-like dark wings over the globe properly. He had better get it in gear.

Depressing event: a GOP office is firebombed in North Carolina. Encouraging reaction: Democrats immediately started a GoFundMe campaign to repair and fix the place, and the drive is now way over the target amount. It took less than four hours.

The candidates themselves reacted to the crime quite differently. I find it encouraging that even his supporters can discern the quality of the one response versus the other.

Another compassionate piece, helping Trump supporters to recover.

Minor personal anecdote: I have a desultory and casual Facebook page, which is taken up mostly with discussions of daily minutiae and pictures of my grandson. Lately I have added the odd political link -- I have already found fun ones and posted them here, right? A friend of a friend (i.e. not someone who has friended me) hopped on and began Trumpsplaining, a grand neologism that means exactly what you think. I responded in a soft-answer-turns-away-wrath mode that I know must have enraged her: You'll feel better soon, dear. Have you considered lying down and holding a cold cloth to your forehead? She became insulting and vicious, and I had to block her. The one friend we have in common on FB (through whom she clearly found me) sent me a message, confiding that she had been Trumpsplaining all over her friends' boards, and they had been kindly and gently refusing to reply to any of them. This had driven her to complain to Facebook that her posts were not visible, and finally to seek friends of friends to post to...

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

Of course, he can win. But the odds are not at all in his favor.

Even with 15% undecided, he'd have to get a much larger share of them than he has of the decided voters. That may be an even bigger task this year that it would normally be. It appears that one reason for the unprecedented numbers of "undecideds" this year is because they really, really don't like either of the two main choices. These are not people Trump can likely woo easily. It is just as likely, if not more likely, that they'll end up voting for a 3rd party candidate or not voting at all.

And Trump not only has to get the lion's share of undecided voters, he has to get them properly distributed in the right states to win—it does him no good to get all 15% if they're all in states he would win anyway. Based on a recent Quinnipiac poll, the number of undecided voters seems to be closer to 6% in Florida, 4% in North Carolina, 4% in Ohio and 7% in Pennsylvania. Unless he can also get Arizona, he'd pretty much need to get something close to all undecided voters in these 4 states to get over 270 in the Electoral College.

So he can win, but as of now the actual chances of him winning appear to be pretty low, around 15%.

Excellent Nick, thanks. 1:6.66.. STILL not low enough!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That number makes me uneasy.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
quote:
[...]

Gaaaa. WaPo.
Every so often they run a huge deal: $19 online access for a year. Give the site your email and you'll get their advertising - totally worth it IMO.

As for it being annoying that they want to get paid for their work: [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I have to say that when reading the latest Trump focus on "election rigging" my immediate reaction was to channel Victor Meldrew.

He really is crazy.

Here's a series of tweets by Ashby Law (a law firm specializing in election law that mostly serves Republican clients) on why it's virtually impossible to rig an American election. Here's a quick summary of what's being suggested from tweets 22-25:

quote:
To rig an election, you would need (1) technological capabilities that might exist only in Mission Impossible movies plus (2) the cooperation of the Rs and Ds who are serving as a precinct’s elex offs, plus (3) the blind eyes of R and D poll watchers plus (4) the cooperation of another set of Rs & Ds – the officials at the post-elex canvass, plus (5) the blind eyes of their watchers. Then you’d still have to trick lawyers, operatives & elex admins, who are scrubbing precinct-level returns for aberrant elex results.
That's a huge conspiracy that's being postulated. Much larger than could plausibly be kept secret.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

From the Atlantic, a good discussion of Trump's personality. The links through, to the PBS documentary about the two candidates, are worth pursuing as well. The TFO is as he always was; he is not mentally ill and has not changed. What you see is what you always had.

The tragic arc of the GOP in our lifetimes. Another thing that is not going to get better.

From the POST, the latest analysis of the polls. The conclusion is that the TFO has hit his ceiling.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

It looks like you can get around it by clicking whatever you have to click in your browser to stop the page from loading -- in between the time that the article loads and the pop-up appears blocking your ability to read it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can access the WaPo articles. (Not The Times though.) Perhaps helps to delete your cookies every now and then? Some sites give you a certain number of free articles per month/week, but they only know when the cookies hang in there.

That said, RuthW is of course right about supporting this kind of investigative journalism by paying up!

ETA: Thanks for the tip, Miss Amanda!

[ 17. October 2016, 15:43: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I am still waiting for Obama to initiate that Muslim caliphate; he's let it drag 7 1/2 years now and has left himself almost no time to spread his Sauron-like dark wings over the globe properly. He had better get it in gear.

[Killing me]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The other thing to know is that particularly the POST and the NY Times have many of their articles syndicated to other newspapers. So you may not be able to read Alexandra Petri today on the POST site, but tomorrow you can probably read it over at the Contra Costa Times.

These should be free:
The Arizona Republic wrestles with toxic fallout after making its first-ever endorsement for President.

And the possible fallout from the TFO's constant cries about rigging the election.

A bit from the Atlantic on the same topic.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This strikes me as a very good report on the state of play. I hadn't realised that the undecided percentage was still relatively high compared with 2012. The 'shy Trump supporters' argument strikes me as a real risk given the undoubted polarisation, the candidate antics, and the 'outsider' mindset. It doesn't take more than about 3 out of a hundred of those polled to hide behind 'undecided' just for the 'fun' of thumbing their noses at the pollsters.

I think the "shy Trump" supporter thing is probably real, but I think a bigger (and more positive) factor is the "rational Republican" factor. I know a good many "rational Republicans"-- none in office, mind you, but out there in the Real World. And they are well and truly s*****d in this election. Most will not support Clinton for ideological reasons, but can't vote for Trump because, well, they have to live in this country past inauguration day.

A good many of these I think will vote for a 3rd party candidate or abstain from the presidential choice all together. And, especially if they're in a blue state, I think that is a good choice.

I'm a passionate Clinton supporter-- agree with probably 80-90% of her agenda, which is not a bad deal. I would be voting for her even if the GOP candidate were a credible human being who didn't threaten to turn this into a third-world dictatorship.

But... the flip side of Trump's ridiculous candidacy is how little focus there's been on the issues. There are some valid concerns about Clinton-- concerns that, in a different election, would have been addressed, and would put her on warning/hold her accountable to clean up her more messy relationships with Goldman-Sachs etc. With Trump's erratic and Nazi-esque behavior, of course, those pale in comparison-- meaning there's been no accountability. Similarly, while Clinton has some real policy statements about real issues, those haven't been discussed/ examined the way they would in a real election, because Trump has absolutely none-- there's no counter-proposal to compare/contrast with her ideas re health care, the economy, income inequality, Syria, ISIS, etc.

Even though again, I'm a passionate Clinton supporter, this lack of accountability isn't good for the country. I pray fervently that she wins-- because the alternative is simply unthinkable. And Trump needs to lose big to demonstrate that we are not the country he seems to think we are. But it would probably be a good thing if there is a large "protest vote" so that Clinton does not have an easy mandate, but is held accountable to address all the unexamined pieces.

[ 17. October 2016, 16:07: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I was just remembering that Sarah's response to Tina Fey's impersonation of her on SNL was to make her own appearance alongside Tina Fey. She may be a dimwit, but she at least had a sense of humor.

Heh, I forgot about that. That was a classy move.
Indeed. As was McCain's later appearance when it seemed clear his campaign was dead in the water. Then, years earlier, there was the first President Bush, who asked Dana Carvey to hilariously impersonate him in his final press conference.

All class acts. I remember when Republicans had a sense of humor.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

cliffdweller

A quick update on the womens vote forecast. The 538 website is now saying that HC has a 20 percentage point lead over DT with women voters. That's probably the most significant demographic in play. 'Trump makes my flesh crawl and there is no way I'm voting for that creep'.

It looks as though Michelle Obama caught the mood, gave it voice, and pointed out the voting imperative. That may be seen as the decisive moment, even more than the release of the recording.

[ 17. October 2016, 16:23: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For pure amusement value, here is a bit of fiction (sort of) called An Evangelical Deal With The Devil.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fiction?

Sounded pretty accurate to me.....

BTW, if Michelle Obama doesn't want ever to run for President of the USA, maybe she would like to come over this side of the pond, and be our Prime Minister (at the moment, an office to which one does not have to be elected, it seems).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

These are free.
A discussion of the seething misogyny that has been a feature of this campaign.

The Donald's looming defeat and how he is bearing it. With Christian fortitude? Oh please.

And Clinton makes her play for Arizona. You know she's playing for keeps when she sends in the big gun, Michelle Obama. (Did you know that Michelle's supremely well-toned arms have nicknames in the popular parlance? The right is Thunder, and the left is Lightning...)

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fantasy, I know - but I would just love to see a debate between Michelle Obama and our beloved Nigel 'UKipper' Garbage.

Guess who my money would be on.... [Devil]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Two pieces about how the TFO is splitting the religious right:
This is a NYT click, pointing out that it's likely to be a generational split.

And, a free click, a Christian points out how the Mormons have really led the way this year. They'll be able to look themselves in the mirror again, in a way that Jerry Falwell Jr. will not.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
cliffdweller

A quick update on the womens vote forecast. The 538 website is now saying that HC has a 20 percentage point lead over DT with women voters. That's probably the most significant demographic in play. 'Trump makes my flesh crawl and there is no way I'm voting for that creep'.

It looks as though Michelle Obama caught the mood, gave it voice, and pointed out the voting imperative. That may be seen as the decisive moment, even more than the release of the recording.

Not really sure why this is directed at me, but totally agree that any woman who would vote for Trump is seriously messed up.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
And, a free click, a Christian points out how the Mormons have really led the way this year. They'll be able to look themselves in the mirror again, in a way that Jerry Falwell Jr. will not.

Blogger Fred Clark (who identifies as Evangelical) made a similar point about a week ago.

You can sort of see this play out in the dispute between Jerry Falwell, Jr. and the students at his ironically-named Liberty University. Falwell, Jr. recognizes the historical reality that American Evangelicalism as it exists today is just a tool for electing right wing politicians. His students, on the other hand, seem to have bought in to all of the moral and ethical teachings Falwell deceptively claimed he was supporting.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
cliffdweller

Not really sure why this is directed at me, but totally agree that any woman who would vote for Trump is seriously messed up.
I thought it might be of specific interest to you because of this from your previous post.

quote:
And Trump needs to lose big to demonstrate that we are not the country he seems to think we are.
It is looking more and more likely that women will ensure that, which I regard as an excellent message for the majority of the electorate to send out to the others.

But I also agree with your observation about accountability.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am so proud of those students -- they are disciples in a way that Falwell clearly is not.

From a newspaper in Alabama, a piece describing why Trump has am over 99% chance of winning the state. Essentially nobody cares if he assaults women or not.

From the POST, Vladimir Putin's efforts to tinker with the US election.

And conservative pundit Jennifer Rubin demands a purge of GOP leadership when this is all over. The money quote: "Simply on the party’s association with and promotion of a misogynist — the GOP should face a thorough housecleaning. If the GOP survives, it must undergo a wholesale transformation in message, leadership and priorities so ethical conduct, inclusion, civility and respect for fellow Americans are front and center." She sees (as I do) that if the GOP is honing to lose all women, for a generation.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We got this in our mail box today. Presumably everyone in Ohio did. I think if you click on it you can make it bigger.

CCV voters guide

A lot of things like "protect Biblical religious conscience," are meaningless, most are misleading and other's are just plain false.

It's a worry. Trump is already one point ahead here and no one has ever lost Ohio and won the election.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

The 538 website is forecasting Ohio for Clinton. A 2℅ lead and a 65℅ probability of victory. Looking at the details, there is quite a spread in the findings of recent local polls, so it's clearly close.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
A lot of things like "protect Biblical religious conscience," are meaningless, most are misleading and other's are just plain false.

That one's pretty obvious. If you're a Christian who follows the Bible, your religious conscience will be legally protected. If you're a follower of some other faith, not so much.

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
It's a worry. Trump is already one point ahead here and no one has ever lost Ohio and won the election.

Not true. No Republican has ever lost Ohio and won the election. Several Democrats have done it, most recently John Kennedy.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahhh, sorry. My local news station just lied to me -- or I misheard them. You can see why I'm worried about things like that flier. People like me might read them in a hurry and get all sorts of wrong ideas.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Twilight

To judge from the state polls, in order of the most marginal first, Trump has to win all of the following; Arizona, Ohio, Iowa, North Carolina, Florida, Nevada and Colorado, in order to scrape home in the electoral college. I suspect local radio may be being a bit economical about that as well.

[ 17. October 2016, 19:39: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
That number makes me uneasy.

Beastly isn't it?! 1:6.66.. Martin Sheen's Greg Stillson in The Dead Zone comes to mind!

--------------------
Love wins

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Over on Salon, Clinton is in good shape. Money quote: "GOP nominees have carried Georgia in seven of the last eight presidential elections. But about a quarter of the state’s voters are African American, a reliably Democratic-voting bloc. Like Virginia, Georgia is also home to well-educated young professionals more likely to favor Clinton, said Chris Jankowski, a Virginia-based national GOP consultant.
“With Trump bleeding out, he could find himself competing to win the white vote in Georgia,” Jankowski said. “That’s when you know it’s over.”"

From the Atlantic, he has certainly lost the black vote.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Nebraska is kind of interesting to watch. The 2nd district (Omaha and surroundings) is barely in the Red column per 538, and may drop into the blue shortly.

The 3rd (everything west of Lincoln, plus a few rural counties in the northeast and southeast) is about as close to a sure thing for Republicans as there is.

For you Cornhusker state watchers, 538 just flipped the 2nd to the lightest of blue today.

The 3rd, on the other hand, finally got some polling data out, and Trump holds a 40% lead.

Maybe he can move to Kearney after this is all done. It seems to be one of the few places where he remains extremely popular.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:

From the Atlantic, he has certainly lost the black vote.

What a great quote on the latter link:

“He has made it comfortable to hate again in this country.”

[ 17. October 2016, 22:57: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Putting Host Hat on for a moment.

A reminder to all participants in this thread (including me) that this is a discussion forum and as in all threads, links should be used in support of, or in contradiction to, a discussion point. Otherwise the thread is in danger of becoming simply an information service. That's not a bad thing in itself but it isn't the primary purpose of any thread

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a dream last night in which the manager with responsibility for my area had a heart attack, and I was an aide in an Irish-Australian woman's bid for the Presidency (she was eligible, somehow). My manager is Irish, and they knew each other. The biggest problem we had on the campaign trail was trying to get our candidate to speak slowly so that the Americans could understand her. Some Irish people can speak very high pitched and at enormous speed.

We were at a rally, and I spotted a bloke controlling crowd response by a complicated system of gestures and facial expressions. I thought, "Gee, they are so much more advanced in this country."

By the way, I thought I had forgiven that manager for an incident about 5 years ago. It seems that my subconscious says no.

[ 18. October 2016, 00:14: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Here's a link to an Irish lady so you know what I mean: Mrs Doyle

--------------------
Human

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

You know the American election is awful when it causes people in Australia to have bad dreams.
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The GOP's problem is that they've been on the losing side of every social and fiscal issue in the last 50 years. We know their tax cuts don't work the way they say they will; instead, they helped a few people get even richer and fucked over everybody else and ran up huge deficits anyway. The GOP has nothing to offer e.g. a young urban conservative who has gay friends and smokes the occasional doobie. All they have left is fear of change and a desire to turn the clock back to 1965 or even 1865*.

-----
*It's funny how the GOP continually brag about a REPUBLICAN president freeing the slaves, but still cling to the Confederate flag and "states' rights".

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Joe Exotic for President!*
May other year, this guy would seem crazy. But not so much when someone like Trump makes the Republican nominee.

*Links to a video that is mostly worksafe, but does mention kinky sex.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  117  118  119  120  121  122  123  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016