homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 127)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  124  125  126  127  128  129  130  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
No, that would be malfeasance. One of the weaknesses of the U.S. constitution is that there is no way to get redress if Congress simply does not do its job, other than to wait for the next election.

One of the earlier drafts of the U.S. Constitution allowed impeachment in cases of "maladministration" (i.e. screwing up). That provision was removed because it became apparent that there was no way to reasonably distinguish between "maladministration" and "making decisions I don't like".

[ 27. October 2016, 15:34: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But the next election is never more than two years away (in the case of the House and 1/3 of the Senate on a rolling basis) and cynically speaking, legislators are very very unlikely to do anything that is apt to cost them re-election. I'm not too fussed about this weakness in the Constitution. Things will get handled though it may take longer than it ought.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was not thinking only of individuals but of the houses of Congress as institutions.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is Trump closing the gap? That's a US Networks question today and tonight.

Well, looking at the ever information-packed 538 website, which makes use of every half-decent poll which comes out (state and national vote predictions), I found the following pattern for the predicted shares of the popular vote. (Information from the Polls-only options)

Sept 26 1st Debate: Clinton 46.4%, Trump 44.9%, Johnson 7.4%

Second debate: Clinton 48.8%, Trump 43.2%, Johnson 6.6%

3rd debate: Clinton 49.7%, Trump 42.8%, Johnson 6.0%

Oct 28 (today): Clinton 49.6%, Trump 43.2, Johnson 5.6%

Over the month, Clinton has gained 3%, Trump has lost over 1% and Johnson has lost almost 2%. Clinton has pretty much hung on to the gains made following the debates and the tape scandal, Johnson has been steadily losing ground and Trump hasn't yet recovered from his losses.

In Electoral College terms, over that period, Trump has slumped from 260 on 26 September to 206 today. Clinton has risen from 278 to 331. Clinton's high spot during that period was 344, Trump's low spot was 193 (both after the third debate).

Trump has gained some ground in the battleground states and certainly improved his chances of making a fight of it. But he still has a lot more ground to make up.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Polls. Can you rely on them? We had civic elections yesterday. Of the three candidates for mayor, the one who polled third is the one who won. (I am glad in this case.)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Miss Amanda--

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
We've got McCain suggesting Republicans preventing a Supreme Court nominee for an entire presidential term.

McCain is overdue for the glue factory. Maybe the cowgirl running against him can send him there if she wins.
It gets worse. "This Could Be The Beginning Of The End Of The Supreme Court As We Know It." (HuffPost)

Per the Cato Institute, a conservative think tank:
quote:
“As a matter of constitutional law, the Senate is fully within its powers to let the Supreme Court die out, literally,” wrote the Cato Institute’s Ilya Shapiro in a column Wednesday on The Federalist.
I don't usually throw the word "treason" around, and I don't know if letting the Supreme Court die out would legally be treason.

But, ethically and common sense-ically, it's damn close.

There's many a slip twixt a legal opinion and the law, especially one filtered through the press.

Mind you, this is the judicial system which held that a corporation was a person, so anything goes I s'pose.

[ 27. October 2016, 23:07: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

Mind you, this is the judicial system which held that a corporation was a person, so anything goes I s'pose.

We'll know that is really true when Texas executes a corporation.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here is a bit of info about Doug Band.

Re the Wikileaks latest, Trump is essentially recycling old news again. But it's poisonous stuff. Should think the Clinton team are wondering what else is going to drop out of cyberspace during the next two weeks.

Florida, Nevada, Arizona, Iowa, Ohio and Georgia now all look decent candidates for toss up states. I think Trump has to win them all plus one other to win the whole thing. But he might, just might, be gaining some momentum. Get ready for a frenetic final haul.

[ 28. October 2016, 02:03: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I don't understand are people who have been undecided until now, and are just now deciding to vote for Trump. Huh?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
simontoad, it's not only in the US that a corporation is a person. It is here, NZ, most of Canada, England and probably every other country which takes its legal tradition from England. It's just not a natural person.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
point taken [Smile]

--------------------
Human

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
simontoad, it's not only in the US that a corporation is a person. It is here, NZ, most of Canada, England and probably every other country which takes its legal tradition from England. It's just not a natural person.

But do they have free speech rights in other countries? Thanks to our Supreme Court decision in the 2010 Citizens United case, they do here, which means that the government is not allowed to limit corporate spending on political campaigns.

As I understand it, corporate contributions to individual candidate's campaign organizations can be limited (just as with natural persons), but not corporate spending on political issues in general. And since a U.S. corporation can be owned by foreign nationals, it effectively provides a legal loophole for politcal donations from foreign nationals.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Levity:

The Yale Record has done a great non-endorsement endorsement of Hillary!
[Two face]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
W Hyatt, I can't speak of other countries, but here the High Court has unanimously held that there is an implied right of free speech in the Constitution - the extent of which is still being defined on a case by case basis. About the only point that can safely be made is that this right is not as extensive as that in the US Bill of Rights.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
And since a U.S. corporation can be owned by foreign nationals, it effectively provides a legal loophole for politcal donations from foreign nationals.

Oh, like the clinton foundation?

I get it!

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I'd love to see you engage more Romanlion. Why don't you share your narrative around the Clinton Foundation, and engage with some of the criticism of your position. I'd appreciate a reasoned view from the American right here.

--------------------
Human

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If your arguments are a drive-by, you don't engage.

[ 28. October 2016, 12:30: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'd love to see you engage more Romanlion. Why don't you share your narrative around the Clinton Foundation, and engage with some of the criticism of your position. I'd appreciate a reasoned view from the American right here.

I don't have a narrative around the clinton foundation, it's out there for all to see.

So bad even MSLSD can't ignore it.

"My position" as you describe it, has only been to provide a minuscule dash of the reality of who/what Illary is, against the anti-Trump maelstrom that this thread evolved into a hundred pages ago.

The clintons are awful in every way, and should never be returned to the White House.

I would put their supporters into one of two baskets...

The basket of the diabolically cynical, or the basket of fools.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

There are sources of information on the internet about the Clinton Foundation, its activities, donations, income and expenses. And many of them are, clearly, politically motivated.

From June this year, here is a Factcheck.org summary.

The New York Times, in August, urged a cutting of ties with the Foundation, and ended with this quote

quote:
Achieving true distance from the foundation is not only necessary to ensure its effectiveness, it is an ethical imperative for Mrs. Clinton.

I talked earlier about "Caesar's wife" and Croesos cited "Clinton rules" as well. From what I've read, the Wikileaks information isn't a "smoking gun" though no doubt Donald Trump will wish to assert that it is. It is however an X Factor in the considerations of the undecided voters and it seems likely to do some damage to Hillary Clinton's prospects in the remaining days of the campaign. Clinton's forecast share of the popular vote seems to be holding at about 49.5%, but Trump's forecast share has almost recovered this morning to its high spot in September.

Plus the battleground states are, in the main, (certainly as 538 analyses it) showing Clinton with a slim majority lead. I think for Clinton the strategy is going to have to be energetic. Vigorous defence against unjustified accusations and concentrating on mobilising the ground game in the battleground states. This isn't a straight run to the finishing line any more.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
"My position" as you describe it, has only been to provide a minuscule dash of the reality of who/what Illary is

A competent and experienced politician who is currently campaigning for the Presidency of the USA against a developmentally-challenged gorilla with views on race relations and women's rights that would embarrass pond slime?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
"My position" as you describe it, has only been to provide a minuscule dash of the reality of who/what Illary is

A competent and experienced politician who is currently campaigning for the Presidency of the USA against a developmentally-challenged gorilla with views on race relations and women's rights that would embarrass pond slime?
Competent? Man, you really read the news that suits your view don't you?

She is utterly incompetent, except when it comes to using her political influence to enrich herself and her family. At that she is totally competent.

Even her closest aides express disdain for her idiocy...

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.
When you have a GOP candidate suggesting revolution, you hare getting very close.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

"My position" as you describe it, has only been to provide a minuscule dash of the reality of who/what Illary is, against the anti-Trump maelstrom that this thread evolved into a hundred pages ago.

The clintons are awful in every way, and should never be returned to the White House.

simontoad,

The criminality and general evilness of the Clintons is more an article of faith among the American right than anything supported by evidence. They're sure the evidence is out there, somewhere, and any day now something proving that Hillary Clinton murdered Vince Foster in order to smuggle drugs through the Mena airport to fund the start of ISIS will turn up. But evidence as such isn't really necessary and the fact that Hillary Clinton is one of the most thoroughly investigated figures in modern America never gives them pause, since everyone just knows that's the truth.

This belief in the absence of (or contrary to) any evidence is kind of like romanlion's implicit claim that Donald Trump won all three presidential debates. (If Clinton is an utterly incompetent idiot Trump must have won, right?) Unsurprising given the American right's expressed contempt for "the reality-based community".

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My brilliant brother is surprisingly a conspiracy theorist. He wrote me doing his best to explain why an inexperienced candidate for president would be better than someone with Hillary's experience.

I could go into all the strange conspiracies he thinks are real, but I really wanted to engage him on the difference between experience and the lack of it, using my occupation as the example.

Part of my job as a church organist was to provide the music in such a way that the congregation would not be aware of transitions and would not be distracted by missteps or awkward pauses or any deviation from the flow of worship. When distractions occur, worship is not on the minds of the congo. They are embarrassed for the organist or accompanist, or their minds are concentrated on what in the world is going wrong. If I needed to hire a substitute, I would not go for the successful businessman, or the gifted teacher, or the mayor of the city. I would hire the most accomplished organist I could find. Schmoozing me, saying they had had many years of piano lessons, or saying that they had listened to the choir many times and knew what it should sound like wouldn't cut the mustard unless they could actually play the organ, and knew how to keep the service flowing smoothly.

I don't think an inexperienced candidate for President would have a clue how to actually lead the United States of America.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is certainly interesting that experience is being seen as a deficit, and inexperience a plus. I suppose this allies with the idea that there is an elite, who are educated, and rich, and then there is the common people, who are not, and not. The strange segue is that Trump is seen as not the elite, but the champion of the common people. I guess this operates at an emotional/atavistic level. Also, 'I'd rather have a wrong man than a right woman' is a factor, isn't it?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

She is utterly incompetent, except when it comes to using her political influence to enrich herself and her family. At that she is totally competent.

Even her closest aides express disdain for her idiocy...

And she is still ahead of Donald Trump? Either Trump is awful or the opinion polls are very, very wrong.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
My brilliant brother is surprisingly a conspiracy theorist. ...

Sorry, Jedi, no disrespect for someone I've never met, but the first and second halves of that sentence are more than just 'surprising'. They are incompatible.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... She is utterly incompetent, except when it comes to using her political influence to enrich herself and her family. ...

So different, so very different, from the home life of our dear Trump. [Mad]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Utterly incompetent? I saw some of her testimony to the Benghazi hearing, she looked pretty competent to me. In some ways, it looked like an 11 hour campaign ad for her.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The Republican Party and other right-wingers have spent the last two and a half decades trying to make some charges stick to the Clintons, and none ever have. That fact alone makes them competent politicians.

There are 11 days left until the election. If Hillary was as incompetent as you say then I would expect hard evidence of said incompetence to be freely available by now. Instead the only thing the entire Republican campaign machine (or what remains of it after Trump has systematically alienated his entire party) can come up with to talk about is which bloody email server she used a few years ago.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More to the point, if Hillary Clinton is as incompetent as romanlion suggests, what does that make her many accusers, who have tried and failed repeatedly to bring her down?

I would posit that they are a veritable vacuum of competence. Anti-competence, if you will...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
The Republican Party and other right-wingers have spent the last two and a half decades trying to make some charges stick to the Clintons, and none ever have. That fact alone makes them competent politicians.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
More to the point, if Hillary Clinton is as incompetent as romanlion suggests, what does that make her many accusers, who have tried and failed repeatedly to bring her down?

I think you're defining "competence" differently than romanlion here. Hillary Clinton is "incompetent" because she keeps failing to fulfill her proper narrative role as defined by her political enemies. Take the Benghazi hearings. Hillary Clinton was either supposed to break down sobbing, confessing her crimes and promising to never appear in public again, or go all out with a vilainous gloat along the lines of "Mwa ha ha! Your puny subpœna powers are no match for my glorious wickedness!!!" Then Trey Gowdy was supposed to throw a bucket of water on her, melting her into a puddle. Instead Clinton made Gowdy and his compatriots look like overwrought idiots. So by that metric, Clinton isn't even competent enough to take stage directions.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

Sorry, Jedi, no disrespect for someone I've never met, but the first and second halves of that sentence are more than just 'surprising'. They are incompatible.
You are right. I seem to have been schmoozed after all!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

FBI back on the case now.

Wow.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Actually they are not. It is a fallacy to assume the brighter the person the more likely they will reach the correct conclusion on every subject. Or even that they are equally informed in every area.
Also, no insult meant to jj's brother, intelligence and crazy often quite happily cohabit the same skull.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh wow, Julian Astrange has found some more old emails among the porn on his hard drive.

[Snore]

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Also, no insult meant to jj's brother, intelligence and crazy often quite happily cohabit the same skull.

Exhibit A: Ben Carson.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
It is certainly interesting that experience is being seen as a deficit, and inexperience a plus.

This morning I heard a Trump supporter praising the "non-politician" nature of Trump as being an asset. On the subject of his inexperience, the remark was that they were sure he would surround himself with experienced advisors.

So they want "inexperience" but expect that that inexperienced person will then be surrounded by experienced people who will tell him what to do.

Ignoring for the moment that Trump has demonstrated that he cannot be guided by even the most well-intentioned of supporters, it seems to me to be a breakdown of logic that they want "inexperience" while trusting that he will get experienced people to guide him. If you are doing that, it would be more efficient (and less dangerous) to get an experienced person in the office to begin with.

All these months of campaigning and I am still where I was at the beginning: I don't want Clinton to be president, but she is by far the better choice than Trump. The country will survive 4 years of Clinton. I doubt it will survive 4 years of Trump (assuming the degenerate old geezer lasts that long).

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

What is going on? The timing of this re-opening of the investigation after "discovery in connection with an unrelated case" is clearly prejudicial. I find it very hard to believe that James Comey actually wanted to do this at this time. It looks like something, or somebody, has forced his hand.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
It looks like something, or somebody, has forced his hand.

This time, but not last time I presume?

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
It looks like something, or somebody, has forced his hand.

This time, but not last time I presume?
I don't think anybody's forced his hand.

As the Director of the FBI, he has to be seen to be above party politics. When new evidence comes to light regarding an old case, he tells a bunch of people to take a look and see if anything relevant has turned up.

That's what "under investigation by the FBI" means in this case. A bunch of people reading some old emails, from the same source that other old emails came from that they'd previously read and decided to do nothing about. It's not exactly setting my heart aflutter.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

We'll see. It's the headline story on all the major networks. There will now be a news hunt for more details; there will probably be leaks from within the FBI. This is going to dominate the news cycle without anyone really knowing what it means.

Who benefits from that?

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Who benefits from that?

The TV news networks, for one.

"Stay tuned, folks, this could get interesting."

The New York Times is now reporting that the emails were found on phones belonging to Antony Weiner and Huma Abedin, which they were looking through in relation to one of the former representative's sexting scandals.

Do you suppose it was in his junk mail box? [Killing me]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Do you suppose it was in his junk mail box? [Killing me]

Get your coat, Og.
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
quote:
Who benefits from that?

Just stop for a moment and think about what that means. The ratings or entertainment value of news stories is more important than the election of the President. Let's keep this show on the road. We can't have an election blow-out; far too boring. Lets get some more mileage out of the competition. Maybe it will go to extra innings?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
romanlion--

quote:

[Killing me]

What are *your* sources? From your arguments, they would seem to be Newsmax, Drudge Report, Rush Limbaugh, Breitbart, etc.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
... She is utterly incompetent, except when it comes to using her political influence to enrich herself and her family. ...

Have I ever told you that I love you our Enoch?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Thank you Enoch, that allusion brightened my morning considerably.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Who benefits from that?

Just stop for a moment and think about what that means. The ratings or entertainment value of news stories is more important than the election of the President. Let's keep this show on the road. We can't have an election blow-out; far too boring. Lets get some more mileage out of the competition. Maybe it will go to extra innings?
Yeah, exactly. At the expense of public sanity, I might add.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He can't lose. The markets say. He had a 1:7 chance BEFORE this mud hit the fan. Growing BEFORE.

She has been insanely arrogant. It doesn't matter if she's completely innocent, she blew it.

If she wins, she's tainted with utter incompetence, with massive failure of judgement. And what will she do for the lower working class? What?

Anyone in her department that did this would be rightfully jailed.

She has UTTERLY, completely failed Caesar's wife. With the insouciance of power.

What a perfect storm.

I am utterly bloody horrified. Dead Zone here we ARE.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  124  125  126  127  128  129  130  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016