homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ellen's show, while somewhat similar to Jimmy's, has a different style, so we'll see how it goes.

I felt sorry for Jimmy about that accidental "mother" remark. He was so embarrassed--but Hillary handled it well.
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
I've always suspected that Ms. Fiorina is an ice queen, in which case, Trump's (repentant?) mention of her beauty would provide half the definition, and her actions at HP would provide the rest.

Not a big fan of Fiorina, didn't vote for her when she ran for office here in CA, but I thought she handled a very difficult situation with class. Even more so, though, I thought the whole awkward exchange revealed even more clearly Trump's view on women: I can't think of a single time he has commented on any woman, anywhere, including (horrifically) his own daughter, on anything other than her physical appearance. Fiorina either "has a face no one could vote for" or she is "beautiful." His own daughter is "so stunning if she wasn't my daughter I'd be dating her". But no mention for either one of their intelligence or any other aspect of their person-- no mention on whether Fiorina has the right leadership skills, policy positions, or temperament for the position. And this is pretty much true of every public exchange she's had with our about any woman, any where. It's the only thing he notices. And, as Fiorina says, women are hearing that.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find Trump unutterably creepy and would not let him near my daughter. (A US Army captain, so in fact he is welcome to hit on her -- she has an M-16, so it would be fun.) He reminds me of Jesse Ventura -- the quintessential celeb candidate. And we all know how Ventura worked out for the state of Minnesota...

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm...we could give all girls and women those Trump pinatas that are a fad now, so they could practice verbal and/or physical self defense...
[Biased]

And ewwwww, re his comment about his daughter.

[ 17. September 2015, 14:03: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Imagine Trump trying to negotiate with Angela Merkel when all he can notice is that she has boobies.

Actually, come to think of it, as Brenda noted, that could be quite fun...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Not a big fan of Fiorina, didn't vote for her when she ran for office here in CA, but I thought she handled a very difficult situation with class.

With extreme class. She handled it briefly and precisely, yet she refrained from going full on Carol Peletier on him.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Imagine Trump trying to negotiate with Angela Merkel when all he can notice is that she has boobies.

Actually, come to think of it, as Brenda noted, that could be quite fun...

Hmm...Dubya gave her a very unwanted shoulder massage at a conference, caught on camera. She was visibly upset. I thought she showed enormous restraint in not hitting him.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Andy Borowitz has the best debate post-mortem I have heard so far: "Let's be honest: when the biggest moment of a debate is one candidate rebuking another for making fun of her face, we are not exactly in Lincoln-Douglas territory."

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Still definitely feels like it'll be Bush vs. Clinton in the real election, which honestly worries me. Though I'm not sure whether Jeb's name will help him after two Bushes in office, one can only hope not.

Re sexist politicians: I have seen a delightful picture of our mayor--whose politics I strongly dislike--being introduced to a local organizer except he's super-obviously staring at her breasts. Doesn't seem to hurt him any, I fear.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Washington Post has and excellent review of last nights lies and misinformation.

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Photo Geek:
The Washington Post has and excellent review of last nights lies and misinformation.

They missed a big one.

quote:
"There's one thing I'll tell you about my brother," said Jeb(!) Bush. "He kept us safe."
Anyone remember this stuff?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Imagine Trump trying to negotiate with Angela Merkel when all he can notice is that she has boobies. ...

If that ever proves to be the case, and I hope he never gets the opportunity, she will get the better of him.

Except, she could do that anyway. It'd just make her job easier.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Charles Pierce is an angel. With a sword.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
quote:

Still definitely feels like it'll be Bush vs. Clinton in the real election, which honestly worries me. Though I'm not sure whether Jeb's name will help him after two Bushes in office, one can only hope not.
If last night was any indication, I don't think Jeb will make it. He was saddled with too much baggage defending his brother's record. If he was willing to distance himself from W I think he'd have a more than decent chance, but he signaled last night that he's gonna tie his bid to W's record, which can't be a winning strategy.

--------------------

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post 
Christi, citing support from "Harvard and Dartmouth"
(whatever the hell that means) claimed Social Security will be insolvent in "seven or eight years".

Such a claim is either an outrageous lie or a display of incredible ignorance, yet no one in the clown car corrected him.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If they had started correcting each other the event would have lasted another four hours, so one must thank God that no one bothered.

--------------------

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
If they had started correcting each other the event would have lasted another four hours, so one must thank God that no one bothered.

[Overused]
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, that is a quotes file moment.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
(whatever the hell that means) claimed Social Security will be insolvent in "seven or eight years".

Such a claim is either an outrageous lie or a display of incredible ignorance, yet no one in the clown car corrected him.

Well, such predictions have been going on for a long time. Opinions vary on their truth. I really, really hope they're wrong. One problem with Soc. Sec. is that Congress uses it as a rainy day fund, and puts the money elsewhere.

The ref to Harvard and Dartmouth probably means he was referring to research/opinions from those institutions.

--------------------

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

Apparently, Ms. Fiorina feels that it's all right for her to mock another woman's physical appearance.
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:

Well, such predictions have been going on for a long time. Opinions vary on their truth. I really, really hope they're wrong. One problem with Soc. Sec. is that Congress uses it as a rainy day fund, and puts the money elsewhere.

The ref to Harvard and Dartmouth probably means he was referring to research/opinions from those institutions.

The fact is that even if nothing in the program is changed, Social Security for retirees will be able to pay full benefits for years and years to come. Decades from now benefits would likely have to be reduced somewhat - again if nothing is done.
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought Ms. Fiorina was channeling Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada. She seem so icy cold.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

LOL re "Prada". I wonder who can be Ann Hathaway's character, and counter-act her a bit?

[Biased]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:

The fact is that even if nothing in the program is changed, Social Security for retirees will be able to pay full benefits for years and years to come. Decades from now benefits would likely have to be reduced somewhat - again if nothing is done.
I hope that is the case. I went on it early, due to disability. While I don't live in fear over it, I do sometimes think of it--especially when Congress openly doesn't have the political will to shore it up, and some members want to cut it altogether.

I'd really rather not wind up living under a bridge. And yes, that does happen.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@ Croesos and cliffdweller

Hard for me to believe that there is mileage in playing the "Bush card" and the "kept us safe" myth. But the performance of the GOP candidates is looking more and more bizarre on this side of the pond. Is there a "sensible, or at least comparatively sensible" favourite?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Will the words sensible and favorite ever go together in politics, Barnabas?

I really liked what Rand Paul said about the wisdom of waiting a while before jumping into foreign conflicts. Mentioning how often the country we back turns into our well armed enemy a few years down the road. But nobody likes him, he's short.

Rubio, in spite of sounding like an overly rehearsed youth pastor, had sensible things to say, but he's not a serious contender.

Fiorina did come across strong but she reminded me of Margaret Thatcher and not in a good way. She really shouldn't be criticizing other women's hairstyles when those straight lines around her thin face did nothing for her. We can't all wear the teenagers styles that well, Carly.

I had always liked Chris Christie but he lost me when he used his worry about his wife on 9-11 as his reason for going into Afghanistan. Presidents aren't supposed to make decisions based on personal emotion are they? In fact every person who introduced himself by naming his beautiful wife and love-of-my-life children lost points with me. Why is that relevant?

I always vote Democrat so I'm not the target audience, but most Republicans seem so random in their message to me. One minute we were hearing about how the middle east is planning to nuke us any day now and two seconds later it was all about defunding Planned Parenthood which just doesn't seem like a presidential issue to me at all.

Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

Right now sensible republican candidate is an oxymoron. John Kasich ???

--------------------

Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

Republicans all seem to be living in some alternate universe where everything everywhere is bad and getting worse every day. Its no wonder their base is gun crazy. I recently read an article that described conservatives as generally fearful and liberals as generally optimistic.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
@ Croesos and cliffdweller

Hard for me to believe that there is mileage in playing the "Bush card" and the "kept us safe" myth. But the performance of the GOP candidates is looking more and more bizarre on this side of the pond. Is there a "sensible, or at least comparatively sensible" favourite?

Well, I'm obviously biased-- a pretty hard-core, lifelong democrat. But in years past I've been able to identify at least some Republicans I didn't think would be an absolute disaster. John McCain 1.0, for example (2.0 being when he went over to the dark side and joined up with Rove & Palin, 3.0 being when he morphed into a bitter old man sitting on his porch yelling at the kids to get off the lawn). In recent years though it's gotten harder and harder to find any viable candidate on that side of the aisle. In the current clown car there's no one that seems even remotely sane. As a Dem, that of course is good news-- it should be a cake walk come fall of 2016 (although Jon Stewart will remind me to not underestimate the Dem's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory). But really it's not good news for the country-- as noted earlier, if the election turns into a cake walk there will be no one to hold the Dems feet to the fire, to make us be more disciplined, to make us take seriously the concerns of our constituents.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I still remember John Anderson fondly, but he never got that third-party thing off the ground. Colin Powell was so smart that he refused to run, but if he had he would have been great.

--------------------

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I thought Ms. Fiorina was channeling Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada. She seem so icy cold.

It seems you're not the first person to get that impression. From 2008

quote:
Opinion is still split on whether Ms. Fiorina or her successor as chief executive, Mark V. Hurd, deserve credit for Hewlett’s success after Ms. Fiorina drove through the company’s $25 billion acquisition of Compaq in 2002. By many accounts, Ms. Fiorina was superb at marketing, mixed on strategy, bad at execution — and extraordinarily successful in unifying the board against what Jeffrey A. Sonnenfeld of the Yale School of Management calls her “street bully” leadership style.

“What a blind spot this is in the McCain campaign to have elevated her stature and centrality in this way,” said Mr. Sonnenfeld, the senior associate dean for executive programs at the management school and one of Ms. Fiorina’s sharpest critics. “You couldn’t pick a worse, non-imprisoned C.E.O. to be your standard-bearer.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/us/politics/06fiorina.html?_r=0

For more on her record at Hewlett Packard see here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/carly-fiorina-business-record_55f9e2c7e4b08820d9173ee6

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I still remember John Anderson fondly, but he never got that third-party thing off the ground. Colin Powell was so smart that he refused to run, but if he had he would have been great.

I registered Republican for the only time in my life in order to vote for Anderson in the primary. When he withdrew to run as an independent, I had to hold my nose and vote for the least-bad of the remaining candidates. That was GHW Bush, who at the time was still ridiculing Reagan's "voodoo economics". I went on to work full-time for a few months on Anderson's campaign.

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

my buddy fausto voted for Bush (even Bush the elder)??? Worldview shattered. [Frown]

[ 18. September 2015, 21:37: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Somewhere I still have an Anderson for President button.

--------------------

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

quote:

I don't recall seeing her smile once during the debate, even during the jokes. She makes Hillary (criticized for a supposed lack of emotion) seem all warm and cuddly. Fiorina strikes me as Palin with a brain instead of a heart.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

I don't recall seeing her smile once during the debate, even during the jokes. She makes Hillary (criticized for a supposed lack of emotion) seem all warm and cuddly. Fiorina strikes me as Palin with a brain instead of a heart.
This strikes me as just a slightly more sophisticated version of what Trump did. Again, I'm not fan of Fiorina-- because of her policies. But I really couldn't care less whether or not she smiles a lot, or is warm and cuddly. Give me a decent health care system, keep us from another war in the Middle East, maybe do something to turn back global warming at least a bit (none of which Fiorina seems to care about)-- and you can consistently scowl so fiercely you scare little children for all I care. And I have to wonder why we're not counting how many times the male candidates do/do not smile.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I get your point, Cliffdweller, but I do look for signs of a sense of humor in all the candidates.
Rand Paul had a cute little laugh when Trump couldn't resist saying "there's plenty to work with," about Rand's looks. In fact I saw smiles and slight head shakes over the absurdity of Trump from Rand and Jeb Bush that made them seem like men tolerating a bad boy. Chris Christy made a good joke about some sort of criticism that "must have been directed at the other guys."

Carly Fiorini had a great answer about Trumps insult toward her face when she said that the women of America heard what he was saying loud and clear, but when Trump then smarmed, "I think you're beautiful." To me a slight eye roll and smile would have been so much better than that look of stone cold hatred over a childish insult.

Her fans may love that though. Her fury at Planned Parenthood was equally terrifying and I think some Republicans share that feeling about PP.

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

Yes, you're right, my friend. I suppose it's actually worse when people joyfully smile while they sabre-rattle, or advocate other harmful/dangerous policies.

Unfortunately, personal likeability is an important factor in Presidential politics - the beer drinking buddy test.

Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Carly Fiorini had a great answer about Trumps insult toward her face when she said that the women of America heard what he was saying loud and clear, but when Trump then smarmed, "I think you're beautiful." To me a slight eye roll and smile would have been so much better than that look of stone cold hatred over a childish insult.

That may indeed be a sign of character. According to Reuters after her failed 2010 Senate run she left owing staff and supplies about half a million dollars and then didn't pay them for four years, that is until shortly before she announced she was running for President, even though she estimated to have a net worth of up to $120 million.

quote:
Twelve of about 30 people who worked on Fiorina’s failed 2010 California Senate campaign, most speaking out for the first time, told Reuters they would not work for her again...“I’d rather go to Iraq than work for Carly Fiorina again,” said one high-level former campaign staffer

It's not common for campaigns to end in debt but not extraordinary either, said Trevor Potter, a Republican former FEC chairman. Usually wealthy candidates pay off the debts themselves "as a matter of honor and reputation because they feel badly about vendors who are stuck with these debts."...

A number of former campaign workers said they were upset that Fiorina paid them only once she had decided to run for president...nine months after she lost the election, Fiorina paid $6.1 million for a 5-acre (2. hectare) waterfront estate in Virginia, near Washington, D.C. The house has no mortgage, property records show.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/21/us-usa-election-fiorina-idUSKBN0O60FV20150521

I don't think Fiorina will be the Republican nominee, right now I think the nomination is Trump's to lose, but if she were then I think that any Democrat would beat her in a landslide.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

There you go. Those are much better reasons not to like the woman than that she doesn't smile.

Her record as a corporate CEO is not much different.

quote:
Yes, you're right, my friend. I suppose it's actually worse when people joyfully smile while they sabre-rattle, or advocate other harmful/dangerous policies..

yeah-- Cheney could be creepy that way, for example. (*shudders*)

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
... To me a slight eye roll and smile would have been so much better than that look of stone cold hatred over a childish insult. ...

I'm sure that was deliberate. We all know what happens when you roll your eyes on camera.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

Maybe she was really suffering from the effects of way tooooooooooooooo much Botox. [Ultra confused]

--------------------

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

Indeed.

She earlier said that she is "proud of every wrinkle", yet in the debate appearance, it seemed to me that she had eliminated every trace of them.

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

I think the best approach to insults from Trump would be to ignore them or laugh them off as Donald just being Donald.

Fighting with him over such matters is likely to give him the attention he craves and results in the blood sport in which he is quite successful.

[ 20. September 2015, 01:20: Message edited by: ldjjd ]

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's an interesting article on how New GOP rules on the election may give Trump the nomination or at least be a power broker. Since the field isn't thinning, if Trump keeps 30 percent in a field of 15 he is going to start to acquire delegates when the primaries start in March. The article also mentions that some of the most likely to fold due to lack of funds are also outsiders and it's quite possible Trump may get a large share of their votes.

Strange Times indeed.

[ 20. September 2015, 02:01: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

After all the time Trump has spent fanning the fiction that Obama isn't an American citizen, I think someone should point out Trump's chubby faced resemblance to this guy. All he needs is the hair.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here is a '538' insight.

Apparently endorsements have been quite a good historical guide to who gets nominations. This year, for the GOP nomination, Jeb Bush holds a slight lead but so far there is no real sign of the most influential in the party reaching any real consensus on who might be best.

I still can't believe that Trump will win. An 'outsider' may have just become leader of the Labour party in the UK but at least our outsider is quiet, courteous and serious minded. Whereas Trump ...

About the only argument in favour of Trump I can see (and a very cynical one) is this. If the GOP are destined to lose in 2016 (and the demographics are a serious handicap to a GOP candidate winning this time) then it might be better to waste Trump money on a wild goose chase. Save up the serious money for Senate, House and 2020 Presidential try.

Another big loss for a very conservative voice might finally persuade the faithful that they are going to have to woo Hispanics and African Americans to have any chance of getting the presidency again. That means policy changes, ditching some sacred cows, doing something about the increasingly disastrous image.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Barnabas--

Re Trump:

One thing that might swing things majorly in his favor is his established fame. People want to know "what's the Donald said now?" Plus all his years on the "Apprentice" reality show.

I don't understand the idea someone else stated that angry, disaffected, white men like him. Seems like he'd be the last person they'd like.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
There's an interesting article on how New GOP rules on the election may give Trump the nomination or at least be a power broker.

It seems like the Republican party is flailing, procedurally speaking. From the article*:

quote:
When gloomy Republican Party leaders regrouped after President Obama’s 2012 re-election, they were intent on enhancing the party’s chances of winning back the White House. The result: new rules to head off a prolonged and divisive nomination fight, and to make certain the Republican standard-bearer is not pulled too far to the right before Election Day.
Those who remember the 2008 post-mortem will recall that the Republicans concluded that McCain's early securing of the nomination was harmful to his electability, since the ongoing Democratic primaries kept the public focused on Clinton and Obama. So in 2012 the Republican primaries went much longer than typical with a wide field of candidates and, after another defeat, the conclusion was that they needed "to head off a prolonged and divisive nomination fight", in the words of Nagourney and Martin's Times article. I'd suggest that this vacillating between "we need a long primary" and "we need a short primary" is distracting from the main problem the GOP has these days: the American general electorate no longer finds their positions compelling.

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Here is a '538' insight.

Not mentioned in the article, but something to keep in mind, is that on the Democratic side current members of Congress and Governors are superdelegates, so their endorsement actually translates into a vote at the convention (though not weighted in the same way as 538 counts them). Former presidents, vice presidents, house speakers, and a few other leadership positions are also superdelegates. In 2008 Barack Obama rather famously spent a lot of time lobbying superdelegates before the primary election process got underway, effectively stealing a march on Clinton and forcing her to fight an uphill battle throughout the primaries.

--------------------
*The New York Times has a paywall that only allows non-subscribers to read ten articles per calendar month. Only click through if you're a Times subscriber or want to use one of your ten monthly Times passes on an article about GOP procedural issues.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

I'd suggest that this vacillating between "we need a long primary" and "we need a short primary" is distracting from the main problem the GOP has these days: the American general electorate no longer finds their positions compelling.

Exactly.

There is an argument in the UK (it's on the Corbyn thread) that there needs to be some serious work put into reshaping the debate, particularly on economic issue. And I think the GOP might feel there is some mileage in going that way.

But what the US electorate seems to have with these Republican Candidates is a bizarre set of multiple "punch and judy" shows. Will any of that shift a potential floater from the centre? The whole thing looks farcical.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016