homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post 
Here's what Hillary said at Edwards AFB:

"This has been a difficult week for the State Department and for our country. We’ve seen the heavy assault on our post in Benghazi that took the lives of those brave men. We’ve seen rage and violence directed at American embassies over an awful Internet video that we had nothing do to with."

It seems to me that she has clearly separated Benghazi from the video-imspired attacks at embassies.

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

By no stretch of the imagination was the outpost at Benghazi anything close to an embassy, nor was it ever listed as such by the State Department.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Exactly. The whole did-she-didn't-she re the video is one big strawman argument.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
Here's what Hillary said at Andrews AFB:

"This has been a difficult week for the State Department and for our country. We’ve seen the heavy assault on our post in Benghazi that took the lives of those brave men. We’ve seen rage and violence directed at American embassies over an awful Internet video that we had nothing do to with."

It seems to me that she has clearly separated Benghazi from the video-imspired attacks at embassies.

She spoke these words at the reception of the bodies of the dead men from the outhouse in Benghazi. Near enough to the coffins and the families to have spit on them.

If that is your idea of clear separation well...bless your heart.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

Sorry, but I honestly don't understand what you're saying.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

In the quote I posted, she clearly separated the violence at the Benghazi outpost from the protests at the embassies. The Benghazi outpost was NOT as is not an embassy. As such, she did NOT say that the Benghazi tragedy was linked to the video.

Spitting on coffins? Please!

[ 23. October 2015, 23:52: Message edited by: ldjjd ]

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

In the quote I posted, she clearly separated the violence at the Benghazi outpost from the protests at the embassies. The Benghazi outpost was NOT as is not an embassy. As such, she did NOT say that the Benghazi tragedy was linked to the video.

According to Charles Woods, father of Tyrone Woods who was killed at Benghazi, he met Hillary at Andrews Air Force Base when the bodies were returned two days after the attack. He says that Hillary told him "We are going to have the filmmaker arrested who was responsible for the death of your son".

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
According to Charles Woods, father of Tyrone Woods who was killed at Benghazi, he met Hillary at Andrews Air Force Base when the bodies were returned two days after the attack. He says that Hillary told him "We are going to have the filmmaker arrested who was responsible for the death of your son".

Now that the documented evidence turns up empty, we're going with unsubstantiated hearsay supposedly from a bereaved family member under duress. If Hilary DID think the attack was a reaction to the film, she wouldn't have said they were going to arrest the filmmaker. Which undermines the credibility of the whole report.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Hillary Clinton, What Do You Do After 11-Hour Benghazi Grilling? Order Indian." (Yahoo)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

Now that the documented evidence turns up empty, we're going with unsubstantiated hearsay supposedly from a bereaved family member under duress. If Hilary DID think the attack was a reaction to the film, she wouldn't have said they were going to arrest the filmmaker. Which undermines the credibility of the whole report.
It didn't turn up empty. Hillary and the administration told the American people things that they knew were not true. Hillary maintained the lie to the father receiving the body of his dead son. She has no character.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mere Nick

Purely as a matter of interest, how do you rate Gowdy's veracity? And his competence as Committee Chair?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
and in other news; Huckabee said poor criminals should be sold into slavery That's what the bible says.

I'm assuming that debt slavery is not a dead horse. Redirect me if I'm wrong.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

As far as I can determine, the interview with the father was not shown live. Instead, a transcript was presented, so that makes it hearsay upon hearsay, and that's topped by it being on Hannity's Fox "News" program.

Of course, memories are notorious tricksters. Even the most sinlessly-perfect among us can remember things inaccurately, all the more so, I would say, in emotionally-charged situations situations like immense grief at the death of a loved one.

It's not uncommon (and certainly understandable) in such situations to look for someone to blame. I know that from one of my own grieving experiences.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To follow up; I was watching a Season 4 episode from The West Wing, within which a moderate Republican, fighting for his seat and being balked by both Democrats and more conservative Republicans observed thisways. "If I'm running scared, I'm running to the Right. That's where the money is".

Who is really gaining from this increasing polarisation? What interests are really being served?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Charles Woods related a number of colorful details about that occasion in his interview on The Blaze with Glenn Beck, including
quote:
Mr. Woods [said] that the President seemed cold and distant at the time, saying: 'Shaking hands with him, quite frankly, was like shaking hands with a dead fish.'

"His face was pointed towards me but he would not look me in the eye," Woods says of meeting Obama. "I could tell he was not sorry. He had no remorse."

"An hour later, he [Biden] came over and approached me," Woods told Beck. "And in an extremely loud and boisterous voice, [he asked,] 'Did your son always have balls the size of cue balls?'"

Tyrone Woods' mother, however, described a very different atmosphere in a Facebook posting shortly afterward:
quote:
The entire afternoon was overpowering and unreal. Little did I know that I would find myself in a reception room being comforted, hugged, and, yes, even kissed by the President of the United States. Along with the President, there was Vice-President Joe Biden, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, and General and Mrs. Colin Powell. They were all wonderful. They held my hand, offered condolences, gave warm hugs, and were extremely compassionate and genuinely sad for my loss, as I fought back tears and tried to project an image of strength to honor my SEAL son.

Each of them commended Tyrone for his courage, his bravery, and his ultimate sacrifice for his country. While squeezing Secretary Clinton's hand and choking back tears, I told her that what worried me was that my son died possibly thinking that he had failed in the mission he was to carry out, that of protecting Ambassador Stevens and the people in the compound.

Looking me firmly in the eye, she told me that my son did not fail. She called him a hero and that if not for him, the 30 people inside the consulate would not have made it out. He was doing his job, fighting for his life, putting others ahead of his own safety, but then that was his job, which he did well.

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Well, I never did! Thanks Dave W.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Exactly.

People in the midst of the most profound grief are going to process that grief in all sorts of ways-- including externalizing it and projecting anger, distress, or comfort in varying degrees on other people. That's normal. The Woods deserve our greatest respect, prayers, and compassion. But that doesn't mean that their very subjective perceptions of what was undoubtedly the most emotional painful moment of their lives is valid evidence of anything other that the horrible cost of the tragedy.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
and in other news; Huckabee said poor criminals should be sold into slavery That's what the bible says.

[Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They really haven't got their heads round this old testament, new testament thing have they ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
To follow up; I was watching a Season 4 episode from The West Wing, within which a moderate Republican, fighting for his seat and being balked by both Democrats and more conservative Republicans observed thisways. "If I'm running scared, I'm running to the Right. That's where the money is".

Who is really gaining from this increasing polarisation? What interests are really being served?

Fear serves conservatives. Always.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
They really haven't got their heads round this old testament, new testament thing have they ?

Silly girl. You stand behind whichever one serves at the moment. They have their heads perfectly in this. Context is of the devil, convenience is heavenly.

[ 24. October 2015, 15:43: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it was very kind of the GOP to give Clinton an 11 hour campaign ad, and probably at low cost!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:

I'm assuming that debt slavery is not a dead horse. Redirect me if I'm wrong.

Much as I dislike Huckabee's policy positions, blatantly misrepresenting what he said really isn't doing the left any favors.

I don't suppose anyone is going to question the decision to go into Libya in the first place...

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

saysay

I suppose the linked article may misrepresent what he said by taking it out of context, somehow. But it does contain direct reported speech and no doubt Huckabee could take action if he has been denigrated by misquoting.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Fear serves conservatives. Always.
That's true. But what is being damaged is the credibility of democratic processes. Powerful financial vested interests would seem to have the most to gain by a weakening of government of the people for the people by the people.

Unless of course you have some superstitious belief in the ultimate benevolence of the invisible hand of "market forces" and "free trade". Plus some kind of trusting notion that voluntary redistribution of wealth via individual generosity is all that is really necessary.

Which of course I know you don't personally.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whether one thinks she is St. Hillary or Satan Incarnate, there seems no question that the hearings were a triumph for her, and even the conservative press in the US have generally recognized it as such, if grudgingly.

I can't imagine any of the Republican candidates not wishing the whole thing had never taken place. If Hillary is elected President, there will be people who point to her testimony as the point where that election became possible.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also, at this writing, there is no better and more electable candidate, on either side. It is hers now, to lose. (I went to the local farm market today, where they were happily handing out Hillary bumper stickers.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Also, at this writing, there is no better and more electable candidate, on either side. It is hers now, to lose. (I went to the local farm market today, where they were happily handing out Hillary bumper stickers.)

I'm beginning to think Trump is electable. He's surprisingly popular, and a lot of my friends who used to be fans of Hillary were muttering months ago they don't trust her anymore, way too establishment in her dealings. Of course, holding one's nose and voting Hillary to avoid a Trump president is a possibility.
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

I can see Trump winning the nomination, especially if he works out a deal (deals are Donald's self-proclaimed special skill) whereby Carson is promised the V.P. nomination.

Between the two of them, their supporters would be a huge and formidable block, not easily placated by other nominees.

This could perhaps be further enhanced by other deals (Cabinet posts?) with Huckabee, and Cruz, since I don't recall Trump having offended them.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Are there any recent detailed polls showing how many women, Hispanics and African Americans are likely to vote for Trump in a Presidential election? Compared with Hillary Clinton, say?

My wife reckons Trump is creepy and vain, so far up himself you can't measure it. She hasn't got a vote of course but I'd be surprised if the 'up himself' perception wasn't very common in the US.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
I'm beginning to think Trump is electable. He's surprisingly popular, and a lot of my friends who used to be fans of Hillary were muttering months ago they don't trust her anymore, ...

So they don't trust somebody as much as they used to. So they prefer to vote for someone whom no one has ever trusted.

From outside this choice, that's really scary.
[Projectile]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

I'm beginning to think Trump is electable. He's surprisingly popular, and a lot of my friends who used to be fans of Hillary were muttering months ago they don't trust her anymore, way too establishment in her dealings. Of course, holding one's nose and voting Hillary to avoid a Trump president is a possibility.
Sanders is the one who's starting to look surprisingly electable. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
I'm beginning to think Trump is electable. He's surprisingly popular, and a lot of my friends who used to be fans of Hillary were muttering months ago they don't trust her anymore, ...

So they don't trust somebody as much as they used to. So they prefer to vote for someone whom no one has ever trusted.

From outside this choice, that's really scary.
[Projectile]

I would not call it impossible, as he is highly thought of by the anti-government element in the Republican party, but his popularity is low
among older line evangelicals, who are troubled by much of his personal life. He might do well in large suburban box churches, but would be a hard sell among Lutherans and would face even more resistance among the integrist RCs who strongly supported George Bush.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't have many doubts about The Donald's ability to secure the nomination--certainly his chances look good right now. I don't consider him "anointed", but I wouldn't write him off.

I still don't see him as electable. He horrifies too many independents and minorities.

ETA: Barnabas62, your wife is obviously a woman of perspicacity.

[ 25. October 2015, 16:27: Message edited by: Organ Builder ]

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
But what is being damaged is the credibility of democratic processes. Powerful financial vested interests would seem to have the most to gain by a weakening of government of the people for the people by the people.

And these ally naturally with conservative governments. Though, to be fair, they are unfortunately not anathema to liberal governments.
quote:
Plus some kind of trusting notion that voluntary redistribution of wealth via individual generosity is all that is really necessary.

And we can show that this is demonstrably false. Were it true, we would already have supply in excess of need. The very fact that private giving plus support offered by government is insufficient illustrates this clearly.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

My wife reckons Trump is creepy and vain, so far up himself you can't measure it. She hasn't got a vote of course but I'd be surprised if the 'up himself' perception wasn't very common in the US.

Unfortunately what your wife and I see as 'up himself,' a lot of people see as a self-assured and confident. After all the Republican party has a history of electing actors and people like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura, men whose professions were all about posturing and posing.
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:

Unfortunately what your wife and I see as 'up himself,' a lot of people see as a self-assured and confident. After all the Republican party has a history of electing actors and people like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura, men whose professions were all about posturing and posing.
Arnold won a in a recall.

Ventura was not a republican, and would probably sue you if he knew you claimed he was.

Dims have a history electing professional clowns.

Just to be fair...

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

It's not Democrats or Republicans who elect candidates, it is the people of the United States. No Democrat or Republican will take the White House without a broad appeal to independents and swing voters.

I think there are still Republicans in the field who might be able to pull that together. I don't think the current front runners can.

--------------------

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

Arnold ran and won as a Republican. What difference does it make that it was a recall election?

Yes, Ventura was the Reform Party candidate. He later became an independent, leaning towards the Libertarian Party. I'd say his views come much, much closer to the GOP than to the Democratic Party.

"Dims have a history electing professional clowns.

Just to be fair..."

Nonsense. I think you need to attend the circus more often.

[ 25. October 2015, 23:14: Message edited by: ldjjd ]

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
It's not Democrats or Republicans who elect candidates, it is the people of the United States. No Democrat or Republican will take the White House without a broad appeal to independents and swing voters.

I think there are still Republicans in the field who might be able to pull that together. I don't think the current front runners can.

This election is so weird.

AFAICT the people most likely to win their party's nomination are also the people most likely to lose the general election.

Which leaves us with a write-in vote for Omar.

Or something...

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:

Al Franken is a professional clown. Also an actor.

The dims have as much history electing idiots like him as the republicans do. And they did it in a straight up election, not in the process of throwing some other dipshit out.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:

So what if he's an actor? So was Reagan. At least Franken was funny.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

This election is so weird.

AFAICT the people most likely to win their party's nomination are also the people most likely to lose the general election.

Which leaves us with a write-in vote for Omar....

You may have a point.

1. He would be the first openly gay person elected President, although there are suspicions about a couple of others, notably Lincoln.

2. He would be the first person elected to the Presidency posthumously.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
quote:

I guess that covers the vanity, but not the creepiness. I don't think creepiness builds confidence. And he sure comes across as creepy to me too. A very strange man.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don’t think Trump’s electable by the country at large.

After the last Presidential election, the question was asked, “who was voting for Obama, exactly?” IIRC the short answer was, “women and people who are not white”.

If Mitt Romney, who compared to this year’s batch is now looking like an extraordinarily reasonable human being, couldn’t get enough women and non-white people behind him to ensure election, I can’t see how anyone as brazenly sexist and racist as Trump is going to stand a chance.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

The dims have as much history electing idiots like him as the republicans do. And they did it in a straight up election, not in the process of throwing some other dipshit out.

But then, given 3 years to look, the Republicans couldn't find anyone better to contest the next election in 2006 than Arnold, so your fixation on the fact that he first won in a recall seems to excuse nothing.

Anyway I don't understand all this hate on Arnold - he's hardly the most objectionable Republican politician from California.

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:

So what if he's an actor?
I don't care if he's an actor. I was responding to this:

quote:
...the Republican party has a history of electing actors and people like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura...

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
At least Franken was funny.

Video please.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Interestingly Franken has been much more of a workhorse than a show pony since his election to the Senate. For example, this incident where criticized Republican laziness on the judiciary committee demonstrates his dedication to his legislative job. Since his election Franken has missed 0.6% of roll call votes, which is a lot better than any of the four current Republican Senators running for President: Cruz 6.7%, Graham 4.1%, Paul 3.4%, and Rubio 6.7%. Those numbers exclude roll call votes taken in 2015, since running for president (and planning a run for the presidency) is a time consuming process and would artificially inflate those numbers even further. (For those who are curious, Santorum missed 2.1% of all roll call votes that occurred during his two terms in the U.S. Senate.)

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Mere Nick

Purely as a matter of interest, how do you rate Gowdy's veracity?

Ok, I suppose. More so than Hillary, of course. She seems too much like a Leona Helmsley type for my taste.

quote:
And his competence as Committee Chair?
Hard to say. It would be difficult to have a job investigating certain matters and you don't have all information.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
She seems too much like a Leona Helmsley type for my taste.

Queen of Mean the Second? I suppose one interesting part of her history was her feud with Donald Trump. Neither came out of that very well IIRC.

It doesn't strike me as a very good fit, but then I have great difficulty seeing Gowdy as you do. There may be some pond differences here, but in my neck of the woods, chairs of committees don't do attack-dogging themselves. Like over Blumenthal.

So far as competence is concerned, although there's a long way to go, Gowdy may have won Hillary the White House in overseeing that interminable, pointless, haranguing, disorganized, utterly amateurish attempt at a smear job. Here's legendary investigative journalist (and Republican)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016