homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
She seems too much like a Leona Helmsley type for my taste.

Queen of Mean the Second? I suppose one interesting part of her history was her feud with Donald Trump. Neither came out of that very well IIRC.

It doesn't strike me as a very good fit, but then I have great difficulty seeing Gowdy as you do. There may be some pond differences here, but in my neck of the woods, chairs of committees don't do attack-dogging themselves. Like over Blumenthal.

So far as competence is concerned, although there's a long way to go, Gowdy may have won Hillary the White House in overseeing that interminable, pointless, haranguing, disorganized, utterly amateurish attempt at a smear job. So far as veracity is concerned, here's legendary investigative journalist (and Republican) Bob Woodward stating quite categorically that this is a partisan inquiry. Which kind of contradicts Gowdy's clear statements of intent and purpose.

[ 26. October 2015, 22:56: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, well. You asked what I thought and I told you. I don't think it will have any measurable impact on the election. Most anyone could have predicted what the various folks would have said in reaction to the session and those reactions were probably pretty much written before either one of them even showed up.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post 
According to Gallup, Hillary's favorabiity jumped 10% after the hearing. That's about 1% for every hour of the inquisition. She should have asked for a few more hours. She's now at 55%!

[ 27. October 2015, 00:49: Message edited by: ldjjd ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The hour after the hearing, late on Thursday evening, was the most profitable hour of her campaign. Everybody piled in and donated to Hillary.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gowdy is not at all Senator McCarthy the Second, but perhaps they do have one thing in common. When you are over-reaching, it eventually becomes clear that that is what you are doing. But in this case it didn't need an Ed Murrow the Second to point it out. Just the actions in that hearing.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
Dims <snip> dims

Since you have chosen to lower the tone by referring to "Dims", I assume you would have no objection to references to the "Republicunts"? You know, just to be fair.

Or perhaps you'd consider the courtesy in discussion and debate of referring to each party by their self-chosen appellation? What do you say?

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Gowdy is not at all Senator McCarthy the Second, but perhaps they do have one thing in common. When you are over-reaching, it eventually becomes clear that that is what you are doing. But in this case it didn't need an Ed Murrow the Second to point it out. Just the actions in that hearing.

Didn't one of the idiots admit this on camera prior to the hearing?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
Dims <snip> dims

Since you have chosen to lower the tone by referring to "Dims", I assume you would have no objection to references to the "Republicunts"? You know, just to be fair.

Or perhaps you'd consider the courtesy in discussion and debate of referring to each party by their self-chosen appellation? What do you say?

In my university days, a Trotskyite acquaintance used to refer to Capitalist Faction No.1 and Capitalist Faction No.2. My problem was that I couldn't remember which was No.1 and which No.2 (which, perhaps, might have been the point).
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

@ lilBuddha

I think so. But when it is confirmed by actions and statements by committee members and a committee hearing, that kind of drives the point home.

[ 27. October 2015, 12:51: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kevin McCarthy, who was at the time expected to become the new Speaker of the House, said the Benghazi hearings had lowered Clinton's poll numbers, when pushed by Sean Hannity to name something Congressional Republicans had gotten done.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I suppose that demonstrates just how dim McCarthy is. And Hannity. In isolation it doesn't demonstrate that Gowdy was personally involved in a thought out strategy. You could argue that McCarthy was pointing to a consequence not an intention. Personally I think the intentionality came out clearly in Gowdy's conduct re Blumenthal. And in some of the GOP committee members' questioning. As HC and Cummings clearly pointed out.

It's clear that I'm no GOP supporter. But this wasn't just about politics either. In a fair investigation, whether you are looking for crimes or ethical misconduct, it's important to avoid descending into sleazy ethics yourselves. Otherwise you taint the process. And that is what was on show in that hearing. That's costly to anyone attempting to take the high moral ground.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The aftermath of the Kevin McCarthy thing was funny, though. For a while, they went with "I apologize to anyone who was offended", since I guess that's what they've had the most practice with. Unfortunately, he didn't actually insult or offend anyone, he just let the cat out of the bag. [Killing me]

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
Since you have chosen to lower the tone by referring to "Dims", I assume you would have no objection to references to the "Republicunts"? You know, just to be fair....

Can we come up with something else? Cunts have warmth and depth.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It not only taints all investigations, it is a blot upon Congress. To run those hearings and investigations costs a mort of money, all wasted in pissing down a partisan hole. It was a fantastical waste of public funds, and they should be slapped hard for it. The good Lord alone knows they're harsh enough, slapping other people for wasting money.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So apparently the lower tier Republican candidates are upset about their backstage accommodations for tonight's debates.

quote:
The drama began Tuesday afternoon as RNC officials led campaigns on a walk-through of the debate site. After touring the stage, candidates got a peek at what their greenrooms looked like.

Trump was granted a spacious room, complete with plush chairs and a flat-screen TV. Marco Rubio got a theater-type room, packed with leather seats for him and his team of aides. Carly Fiorina’s room had a Jacuzzi.

Then there was Chris Christie, whose small space was dominated by a toilet. So was Rand Paul’s.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't this kind of winners-and-losers tier system exactly the kind of thing the Republican party advocates for everyone else? Rand Paul, of all people, shouldn't be complaining about this realization of the libertarian dream where the "makers" (those with high poll numbers) don't have to share with the moochers and takers who can't get out of the single digits.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, I'm hanging out in Carly's room!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Ooh! Let's all go into the hot tub!

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Well, that was different. Recognising that attacking the "liberal" media is a well known GOP candidate ploy, I thought the CNBC moderators gave the candidates plenty of ammunition for complaint.

Rubio was right in at least one thing. If these things do turn into cage matches, that should be the candidates' doing, not any provocation by moderators.

Worst candidates debate ever? Well, it must be a strong contender.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brenda:
quote:
Ooh! Let's all go into the hot tub!
I think I feel a song coming on...
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those who are interested, here is a full transcript of yesterday's main event Republican debate. For those with extra time to burn, there's also this transcript of the Republican "undercard" debate.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re weird presidential debates:

There was one--Carter/Ford?--where one guy called the other a communist, then "apologized" by saying it was a Freudian slip. (I.e., he really meant it.)

I think *maybe* Ford said it.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And presented for your consideration:

"The Race is Heating Up, and the Trumpkins Keep Coming..." (Yahoo)

[Cool]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Last night, Hillary talked with Stephen Colbert on "The Late Show". Great fun, and some great one-liners!
[Smile]

Summary and quotes, with embedded clips (CBS local).

Full episode (CBS).

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re weird presidential debates:

There was one--Carter/Ford?--where one guy called the other a communist, then "apologized" by saying it was a Freudian slip. (I.e., he really meant it.)

I think *maybe* Ford said it.

You could be thinking of the moment in 1976 when Ford declared eastern Europe to be free of Soviet domination.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

So what happens when Donald Trump starts to fall behind? His basic campaign strategy and method of interacting with the public to date consist of:

1. Telling everyone how great he is and how great his presidency will be, in suitably non-specific ways
  2. Making snarky and insulting comments about his rivals and/or anyone who asks him a tough question

His followers see this kind of bluster as strength and confidence, but most of us have met this type personally and know it's really a sign of fragility. To date, Trump has been able to point to his poll numbers as proof of point #1 (I'm great because everyone loves me, and everyone loves me because I'm great!). But what happens when his poll numbers start to slip? This has been a largely academic question until recently, since Trump has held the lead in virtually all polling since he announced. But his numbers are starting to slip in Iowa.

So how does he take it?

quote:
"Iowa, will you get your numbers up, please?" Trump begged on Tuesday night, something he rarely does. "Will you get these numbers up? I promise you: I will do such a good job."

<snip>

"I do well with the evangelicals, but the evangelicals let me down a little bit," Trump said. "I don't know what I did."

<snip>

"You know what, people might say: 'It's terrible. He's a terrible person, a terrible human being. I shouldn't, but I'm going to vote for him anyway.' Okay, that's fine," Trump said. "I'm actually a nice person."

<snip>

"What the hell are you people doing to me?" he demanded.

Note that the way Trump sees it, evangelicals owe him their vote (well, I'm guessing he thinks everyone owes him their vote) and that they've "let [him] down a little bit" by not giving him the votes he's entitled to.

There have been a lot of predictions that Trump will start losing ground any day now. Given how often those predictions have proved to be little more than wishful thinking I'm not going to predict that this is the end for the Trump campaign. I will, however, predict that if/when the Trump campaign collapses, it'll be more or less exactly like this: Trump getting ever more belligerent and insulting to people whose votes he's supposedly courting, causing his numbers to slip further, causing Trump to get even more demanding, etc., in an ever more vicious feedback loop.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I feel that at some point he may be looking for a way to pull out without losing face.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The traditional statement is " ... to spend more time with my family." Trump may have difficulty making this fly. A more unassailable position is health. Bribe a doctor to diagnose you with something, drop out, and then instantly recover, possibly with the help of a health supplement which you can then tout.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't see him getting out before New Hampshire.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Well, Ben Carson touts some sort of health supplement...if they work together, maybe they'll *both* drop out!
[Yipee]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Brenda Clough: The traditional statement is " ... to spend more time with my family." Trump may have difficulty making this fly.
He needs something more spectacular. And in such a way that he can blame someone else for it.

Not just if his numbers are dropping. I think there's only one thing Trump is afraid of.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You want a creative solution, I am your girl. Let me see.
Alien abduction, always a favorite, but difficult to fake. Even if Trump CGIs a You-Tube video, too many difficult follow-ons. The hair makes it convincing, however.
Assassination attempt. This is particularly good if you have a tame assassin who can vanish (allegedly to someplace cool, like say Somalia or an al-Qaeda camp somewhere in a Stan, but in actuality back into Trump corporate) and some bladders of fake blood. Again, tame doctors essential. Vanish for six months recouping, and then return in triumph, all set for another go-round next election cycle. Sell health supplements between now and then.
Supercool job elsewhere. I'm sorry, America, but Angelina Jolie needs me! What would this job be? How rocky is Prince Philip, these days? If the Queen was widowed, a slot would open up. And you could get the Donald to help redecorate some of those shabby palaces you have over there.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I think there's only one thing Trump is afraid of.

Being ignored? I don’t think he’ll have to worry for a while--when it comes to generating entertainment on a slow news day, he is unparalleled. He can rail against the media, but they love him.

The first delegates for the Republican convention won’t be chosen for almost four months. It’s going to be a problem for all of them not to peak too soon. The ups and downs in the polls may be fun to watch, but I don’t think we are really close enough for them to mean much.

I’m waiting to see who drops out next. I don’t see how Bobby Jindal and Rand Paul can hang on much longer. I think Jeb Bush will make it to New Hampshire, but if he can’t find some way to appear “presidential”, he won’t last much longer after that. I don’t really expect him to last until the big Southern primaries.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I think what Trump is most afraid of is that he will win. If it ever comes close to that, he'll find a way to drop out (and blame others for it).

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An interesting assessment, and you may well be right--I want to think about it a little more, at any rate. Even for those better prepared than he is, the Presidency is not for the faint-of-heart. Where he has had success in his career it has usually been with shorter-term projects than the Presidency as well--he won’t be able to do something else if he’s bored or tired of it.

It might be fun to watch Fox, though, if they had to cover a race between Trump and Clinton.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Does anyone at the J.E.B. Bush campaign know how to use that "Google" thingy?

quote:
To most American voters (especially the younger ones), Jeb Bush’s new slogan will mostly just sound uninspired, and slightly reminiscent of Bob the Builder. But for pretty much anyone even mildly aware of British popular culture, the words “Jeb Can Fix It,” soon to be plastered on every surface his dying campaign can touch, will bring to mind just one thing: Jimmy Savile, one of the most prolific child abusers in the history of entertainment.

<snip>

That slogan is now inexorably linked, in the British popular imagination, to a depraved and vile criminal, whose unconscionable acts were covered up by powerful people for decades. And also, now, to Jeb Bush.

I mentioned earlier that J.E.B. Bush had recently cut staff salaries. Either this new slogan is payback for the cuts or these people are still drastically overpaid.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re Jeb's slogan:

Wow! I know about the Saville case, but only because of Ship discussions. I suspect Jeb's PR folks don't have a clue, nor will most American voters. And I don't remember coming across the Saville version of the slogan.

[ 03. November 2015, 02:15: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

"Jim'll fix it" was the title of a long running and very popular at the time Savile TV show in the UK. In which children (or their parents) were encouraged to write in and have their hopes and dreams granted. Both the title and the theme now have an emetic effect in the UK because of the Savile revelations. Including some IIRC related to that very programme.

But I guess there will be zero negative resonance in the US. And barring a miracle, Jeb's campaign will remain on life support until it dies. It's now looking much more likely that Carson will win. Once the skids are under Trump, it will be all down hill for him. Which I also guess is what he now wants.

[ 03. November 2015, 09:03: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

If the abuse alluded to were related to the US Catholic Church, or to Bill Cosby, it would be a big deal, and do great damage to Jeb's campaign. But most Americans just don't know about the Savile situation.

Thanks for the explanation, Barnabas.

[ 03. November 2015, 10:48: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It made me think of the recount in Florida in 2000, when Jeb was governor.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Isn't there a way of saying to Trump: we get that you want to make a splash, we get that you want to go down in history. With all your money, why don't you build a permanent base on the Moon? You may make a reality TV series about it, you may call it Donald Trump Base, whatever strokes your ego. Having a base on the Moon is a good thing, and at least it would keep him out of other stuff.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

Yes, he certainly "fixed" that.
[Mad]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

Yes, he certainly "fixed" that.
[Mad]

Long form ruminations on this point.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Far elsewhere I have been compiling a list of Write Hacks -- aids for writers. The item I keep referring to is Google. Always Google any new name, slogan, term or combination of words. There is nothing new under the sun. If that cute alien term, or that keen new logo, or that snappy name for your hero, is already being used by gangsters on the streets of Salerno to refer to an unusually repellent sex act involving courgette squash, you want to know.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Isn't there a character in one of William Gibson's cyperpunk novels, whose job it is to check if a proposed brand name isn't a swearing word in Finnish?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Far elsewhere I have been compiling a list of Write Hacks -- aids for writers. The item I keep referring to is Google. Always Google any new name, slogan, term or combination of words. There is nothing new under the sun. If that cute alien term, or that keen new logo, or that snappy name for your hero, is already being used by gangsters on the streets of Salerno to refer to an unusually repellent sex act involving courgette squash, you want to know.

With "Santorum," the definition with the most hits was intentionally developed to sabotage Rick Santorum's image and campaign.
[Snigger]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

With "Santorum," the definition with the most hits was intentionally developed to sabotage Rick Santorum's image and campaign.
[Snigger]

His image certainly, but since the definition of "Santorum" [vaguely NSFW] was developed in mid-2003 and Santorum wasn't up for re-election until late 2006 (which he lost by a margin almost unheard of for an incumbent senator not under indictment nor involved in a sex scandal) it wasn't directly an attempt to sabotage any political campaign of his. The context was Santorum's comments on the then-pending case of Lawrence v. Texas, where it was decided that laws criminalizing various consensual sex acts were unconstitutional. Santorum took a different approach than the Supreme Court eventually took, arguing that that states should have the authority to jail anyone for having sex with a same-gendered partner. It was this, coupled with is his comparison of homosexuality to bestiality and incest, that roused the ire of Dan Savage, who publicized what he felt was the best Santorum neologism* submitted by his readers. Savage later pointed out that not every anti-gay politician gets this treatment at his hands. It was Santorum's advocacy of prison for gays that really put him over the top, as far as Savage was concerned.

--------------------
*I'm not sure "neologism" is the best term for re-purposing an existing word. It might be better to call it a "reologism", except that term is itself a neologism (and an inelegant one at that).

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Again, far elsewhere on the net, a friend of mine is insisting that Ben Carson is ordained by Jesus to be president. (FWIW he was utterly enamored of Sarah Palin as well, so I take this with a grain of salt the size of a Buick Regal.) Santorum could never have won the nomination, in spite of the Google merriment. The GOP persistently flirts with complete lunatics. I can only postulate a passionate and perverse lust for humiliation on the part of the party. (Oh God, I am afflicted with alliteration. Somebody send help.)

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Again, far elsewhere on the net, a friend of mine is insisting that Ben Carson is ordained by Jesus to be president.

As I observed earlier, if God tells you to run in the Republican Presidential primaries, it's probably so He can have a good laugh at your expense.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And, in other bizarreness, "Experts dismiss Carson's belief pyramids used to store grain" (Yahoo).

The Seventh Day Adventists said that it's *his* opinion. They must be hoping he signs up with the Pastafarians soon.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Its particularly odd, in that there is nothing to explain, archeologists have found ancient egyptian grain silos. You don't need some exotic explanation for that particular bit of the biblical story.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016