homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Blue big city mouse, red country and suburban mouse.

That's not what the map shows. It shows that there are very, very few red counties. It shows there are very many more blue counties. It shows the vast majority of rural/suburban US as various shades of purple, indicating that most communities are split between voting Dem and Rep, no matter who ends up walking away with the prize at the end of it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post 
I'm totally captivated by tonight's Democratic debate. It may be my bias and/or the traguc events in Paris, but the questions and answers are in stark contrast to the Republican "debates".
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
I'm totally captivated by tonight's Democratic debate.

So who do you like?

Old and white? Or....

Wait, that's the only option....

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Look at you with the identity politics!

And 52 is old now?

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:

What could be more dimocratic than that?!

quote:
And 52 is old now?
Ask any Millennial...

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:

What could be more dimocratic than that?!
And so your intended criticism evaporates into nothingness...
quote:
quote:
And 52 is old now?
Ask any Millennial...

My 8-year-old nephew thinks pretty nearly everybody is old, but he's a cute kid so I don't hold it against him.

Why do you think should I ask a Millennial? Are you one?

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm totally captivated by tonight's Democratic debate. It may be my bias and/or the traguc events in Paris, but the questions and answers are in stark contrast to the Republican "debates".

Without denying that the Republican debates have been a little over the top, part of this comes down to the fact that everyone on the stage at the Democratic debates knows who the nominee is going to be. The stakes are much lower.

[ 15. November 2015, 02:30: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post 
romanlion:

Reagan was elected a few days short of his 70th birthday and re-elected as a 74 year old.

He was, of course, lilly white although the same cannot be said for certain about the natural color of his hair.

Will you at least make Saint Ronnie [Overused] an exception to your dislike for old white people?

[ 15. November 2015, 05:30: Message edited by: ldjjd ]

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
And 52 is old now?
Ask any Millennial...
Oh, heck, that's nothing new! In the '60s/'70s, it was "Never trust anyone over 30!" And did you ever see the movie/series "Logan's Run"?

[ 15. November 2015, 09:35: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

So who do you like?

Old and white? Or....

quote:

RL has had this particular race-based bee in his bonnet for at least a month now. It seems to be the only thing he's really noticed about the Democratic field.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
quote:

So who do you like?

Old and white? Or....

quote:

RL has had this particular race-based bee in his bonnet for at least a month now. It seems to be the only thing he's really noticed about the Democratic field.

Which is funny 'cause most of the people in the videos of GOP campaign gatherings are old white people.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jindal Out

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank God. Oh, but wait. Wasn't it God who told Jindal to run? Same as Huckabee, Bush, Cruz, and so on.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Thank God. Oh, but wait. Wasn't it God who told Jindal to run? Same as Huckabee, Bush, Cruz, and so on.

Just because God tells you to run doesn't mean He's saying you'll win. I'm convinced God just needs the lulz.

Still, considering Jindal was polling at something like 0.3% I'm not sure a formal announcement was necessary.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unkindly, over at Slate the headline is "Bobby Jindal Drops Out of GOP Race to the Disappointment of His Four Loyal Supporters."

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I linked to his twitter because it was the only link I could find without some sort of snarky comment about his small numbers. I report, you decide, or something like that.

I mentioned the news last night to a group of fairly well informed voters, and I got at least one totally unironic "who?"

--------------------

Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Donald Trump reportedly said on 30 September "I'm putting people on notice that are coming here from Syria as part of this mass migration, that if I win, they're going back," he said, contending that the so-called Islamic State militants could be hiding among the refugees.(BBC News).

The BBC are reporting that "following the Paris attacks, such a view has become accepted wisdom among the Republican presidential candidates - and Mr Trump is once again taking credit." Is that how it appears to Shipmates in the US - that GOP candidates are standing in line to endorse Mr Trump's policy of sending back refugees to face persecution?

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not entirely from where I sit. Jeb doesn't seem to support that notion, and I'd be willing to bet John K. doesn't either.

Cruz and Carson, sure.

What's even scarier to me is that Trump is now saying he wants to build a database of Muslims residing in the US, and there are a lot of people supporting that. [Help]

"Anti big, invasive government" my left ass cheek.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There is a steady surge of paranoia and fear around here, which I have not seen since 9-11. I have hopes however that dingbat legislation will not pass. And please God! Donald Trump will not be elected. FWIW he has never yet faced the voters at the ballot box. I hope for great things come the caucuses.

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But if trump does NOT get the nomination, he gives the rest of the Republican field an aura of plausible deniability. He can make all sorts of outrageous statements to the party faithful to get them riled up against Muslims (and other folks who aren't really human, after all) without the eventual nominee having to take responsibility for having said it.

While thinking people will likely find it offensive, it goes over well with the Republican core, and energizing them to get out and vote is probably more important in the long run than attracting undecided voters.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So ----

The Donald provides yet more evidence that he is an authoritarian nationalist demagogue. And these expressions raise his standing in the GOP candidate polls.

Does this mean that a substantial proportion of GOP activists and loyal voters are attracted to fascism? (Check out the Wiki article on fascism) Or is this just isolationism distorting perspective?

Either way, Ole Abe must be turning in his grave. Who will rescue the GOP from this journey up a dark alley?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Either way, Ole Abe must be turning in his grave.

Over fascism in the GOP? Not likely, considering he was a fascist.

Over a black man as POTUS? Definitely!

Like a perpetual motion machine...

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RL--

In what way was Lincoln a fascist, please?

And yes, as he was then, he would've had a problem with having a black president. But if he came back today, and got a handle on all the changes since his lifetime, he might think differently.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder how the Gettysburgh address figures in romanlion's thinking?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alwyn:

The BBC are reporting that "following the Paris attacks, such a view has become accepted wisdom among the Republican presidential candidates - and Mr Trump is once again taking credit." Is that how it appears to Shipmates in the US - that GOP candidates are standing in line to endorse Mr Trump's policy of sending back refugees to face persecution?

This is a great question. Certain contituents notwithstanding, I think the more seasoned GOP leaders are embarrassed by the guy. I read the occasional murmur in this direction, but am not sure why the Repubs are not more strenuous in their distancing-- perhaps they fear the poll numbers. Or maybe they are hoping Trump will send the majority of the GOP fleeing to some more moderate candidate, come actual election time.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Perhaps distancing from Trump, rather than confronting him, is the best way to avoid alienating potential supporters?

Personally I think confronting Trump is the right thing to do. Whether it would win the candidacy - well, that's a different question isn't it?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It is not really fair to claim or blame a historical figure for a modern point of view. What next, blaming Lincoln for not taking more selfies?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Perhaps distancing from Trump, rather than confronting him, is the best way to avoid alienating potential supporters?

Personally I think confronting Trump is the right thing to do. Whether it would win the candidacy - well, that's a different question isn't it?

The problem is the whole "clown car" trope is no joke-- the Repubs really don't have a non-dorky candidate. Petraeus is out of the picture, McCain won't run (He might take it, even the Dems like him)...

So they can't really confront Trump until someone presents themselves in such a way as to be the face of the republican Anti-Trump. And as you say, those who might be inclined to be moderate are so spooked by the idea of upsetting the Teabaggers that they won't whip out the whoop-ass. The guy/ gal who does will be a hero the GOP.

Oh, and boy, am I sad that that genius Jindal is out of the picture.
[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

quote:

Distancing yourself from Trump means disavowing his positions - but they're pretty popular among Republicans, so that's problematic for anyone running for the Republican nomination.

According to a recent Bloomberg poll, when asked "Which of the following do you think is the best approach for the U.S. to take with refugees fleeing the civil war in Syria, the results were:
code:
All Reps Dems
28 12 46 Proceed with the plan to resettle 10,000 refugees without religious screening
11 11 9 Resettle only Christian refugees from Syria
53 69 36 Do not accept any Syrian refugees into the U.S.
8 7 9 Not sure

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
McCain won't run (He might take it, even the Dems like him)...

Not this Democrat! Living in Arizona, I cringe every time I see him mouthing off in the newspaper.

(And anyone stupid enough to choose Sarah Palin as a running mate is too stupid to be President -- or Senator.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Alas, so true. The moment he selected her I knew who I would vote for. That is not a woman who should be a heartbeat away from an ice cream cone, never mind the presidency.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah, but if someone held a gun to your head and asked you to pick him or Trump, it'd be no contest, right?

Boy, what a fantastic campaign slogan...

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yeah, but if someone held a gun to your head and asked you to pick him or Trump, it'd be no contest, right?

I'd move to Canada.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
McCain won't run (He might take it, even the Dems like him)...

Not this Democrat! Living in Arizona, I cringe every time I see him mouthing off in the newspaper.

(And anyone stupid enough to choose Sarah Palin as a running mate is too stupid to be President -- or Senator.)

There was McCain 1.0-- the warm, funny, reasonable conservative who was a favorite guest of Jon Stewarts for all those reasons. Then there was McCain 2.0-- the guy who after being shafted in the worst way by Rove in 2000 (the warm up to the swift-boating thing) decided to just throw it in and play the game the way the GOP kingmakers wanted-- but then in the end didn't have the stomach for it. Then there's McCain 3.0-- the guy we've seen since-- the bitter old man sitting on the porch yelling at the kids to get off the lawn. It's sad.

But we had a moment this week-- just a moment-- when McCain question how "Christian" it was to turn our backs on the refugees-- when I saw a glimpse of McCain 1.0. ONly a glimpse, though.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

I'd move to Canada.
I have a feeling Canada is battening down the hatches as we speak.

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Distancing yourself from Trump means disavowing his positions - but they're pretty popular among Republicans,
According to the poll you quoted they're moderately popular among Democrats as well [Ultra confused]
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Canada will, naturally, build a wall. They will get Americans to pay for it. Hey, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

--------------------

irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now Trump is issuing approval of beating up a Black Lives Matter protester at his rally. Washington Post article here.

Truly a fascist, can't allow any dissenting opinions or beliefs.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
quote:
quote:

Distancing yourself from Trump means disavowing his positions - but they're pretty popular among Republicans,
According to the poll you quoted they're moderately popular among Democrats as well [Ultra confused]
Sure - though perhaps somewhat less popular than in the UK. I'm not sure why you're [Ultra confused] about this.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Its as if everyone has failed to notice the supposed 'migrant' plot leader was a belgian citizen.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
Now Trump is issuing approval of beating up a Black Lives Matter protester at his rally. Washington Post article here.

I don't understand why his opponents aren't making more of his previous massive debt problems. Given people's worries about federal economic management.

I mean seriously what individual gets 1 billion dollars into debt ?. The corporate bankruptcies are also pretty massive.

[ 24. November 2015, 06:27: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:

I don't understand why his opponents aren't making more of his previous massive debt problems. Given people's worries about federal economic management.

I mean seriously what individual gets 1 billion dollars into debt ?. The corporate bankruptcies are also pretty massive.

How could debt problems possibly be a dis-qualifier for a candidate?

It's more like a prerequisite, and good luck to the eventual winner if they hope to outdo their predecessor on debt.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
How could debt problems possibly be a dis-qualifier for a candidate?

It's more like a prerequisite, and good luck to the eventual winner if they hope to outdo their predecessor on debt.

It is a disqualifier if the candidate is asking for votes on the grounds that he's a shrewd businessperson. Making money on real estate is one of the easiest ways of making money - my next-door neighbour is about to make $50,000 flipping his apartment after just 3 weeks of renos. It takes a real idiot to run a casino into the ground.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Its as if everyone has failed to notice the supposed 'migrant' plot leader was a belgian citizen.

One of the first news reports I heard stated that a Syrian passport was found next to one of the bombers. Because everyone who is going to commit a terrorist attack takes someone else's passport with them, and they put it in a safe spot before blowing themselves up.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Certain contituents notwithstanding, I think the more seasoned GOP leaders are embarrassed by the guy. I read the occasional murmur in this direction, but am not sure why the Repubs are not more strenuous in their distancing -- perhaps they fear the poll numbers. Or maybe they are hoping Trump will send the majority of the GOP fleeing to some more moderate candidate, come actual election time.

The problem is that there is no "more moderate candidate" in the GOP field this year. On questions like immigration or race there's not a lot of policy difference between Trump and his GOP competitors. The real difference is that Trump "says the quiet parts out loud", unlike the traditional reliance on dog whistles. The only major policy difference between Trump and the rest of the Republican field is his position on Social Security. Every other candidate wants to cut the program (which is what the Republican leadership wants), while Trump says he wants in preserve or expand the program (which is what the typical Republican voter wants). On that issue he's to the "left" of the Republican field.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Vermin Supreme in 2016!

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
Vermin Supreme in 2016!

He's no Screaming Lord Such, but I like him!
Less of a clown than the republican field as well

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
Certain contituents notwithstanding, I think the more seasoned GOP leaders are embarrassed by the guy. I read the occasional murmur in this direction, but am not sure why the Repubs are not more strenuous in their distancing -- perhaps they fear the poll numbers. Or maybe they are hoping Trump will send the majority of the GOP fleeing to some more moderate candidate, come actual election time.

The problem is that there is no "more moderate candidate" in the GOP field this year. .
Yeah, that's what I meant about the "clown car" jokes being really unfunny. I was allowing for the idea that the moderates are frantically grooming some eleventh hour hero, to be revealed in the future.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

From today's Guardian:

"But, one day, [Trump] won’t be able to help himself. He will tell some insolent person waving arithmetic at him that he has some of the best mathematicians in the world, All the best math guys, they know all the very beautiful, very exclusive math, and we know that two plus two is seven.

And somewhere a supporter will think, That can’t be right. Two plus two is five."

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
The problem is that there is no "more moderate candidate" in the GOP field this year. .

Yeah, that's what I meant about the "clown car" jokes being really unfunny. I was allowing for the idea that the moderates are frantically grooming some eleventh hour hero, to be revealed in the future.
For a brief moment there was a Draft Romney movement, scuttled by Mitt's refusal to consider it. I'm picturing something like this.

quote:
All the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

and I'll whisper "forty-seven percent."

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016