homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are many Americans aware how disliked Trump already was over here even before his presidential campaign for his high handed assumptions that he the great Donald was entitled to browbeat the citizens of Aberdeen, and they should be grateful that he deigned to do so?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, I had not heard. But clearly all men really are brothers.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Check out the film "You've Been Trumped", which is all about how he ended up buying the land (a Site of Special Scientific Interest, no less) for his golf course. The pandering by the Scottish authorities blinded by his promises of $$$$ is nauseating (and his bullying treatment of the locals who refused to sell to him is just vile).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A sensible American's take on the Donald.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
Surely everybody, including Trump himself, acknowledges that he isn't going to be elected as POTUS. Based on that premise, and his great wealth, and his narcissistic personality, and his realization that he can take advantage of the free speech maxim he so abuses, he's just an everyday sociopath who's having a laugh at everyone's expense, for his own amusement, because there's no-one to stop him. Perhaps he hopes to trigger an uprising or something, without considering that such an event would almost certainly result in the loss of all the manifestations of mammon upon which he rests, and the disappearance of his hangers-on. There's a phrase in a song:

"A piece of the action, pieces of gold, everyone's paid well and does what they're told"

I do wonder who will turn up for his funeral, when that eventually comes to pass. There will be a lot of people quietly making lists of those attendees!

I think there might have been something in this originally, but the BBC political commentator this evening (News at 6 R4) suggested that the latest anti-Muslim initiative was probably calculated to help with the vote in Iowa (where, apparently, Cruz was showing up well in the polls).

If so, then I think he may actually be "in it to win it" now, given the success of his outrageous posturing.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Barnabas62: If so, then I think he may actually be "in it to win it" now, given the success of his outrageous posturing.
The piece Brenda Clough linked to says that he wants to win the race, but he doesn't want to be the president. I think that's accurate.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I had to guess, I'd say he's treating it like a reality TV show. Part reality, part reality manipulated by the producers. It's a game he wants to win for the sake of winning and he hasn't given much thought to what would happen if he actually did.

Here's a different take on why he's so popular.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
If I had to guess, I'd say he's treating it like a reality TV show. Part reality, part reality manipulated by the producers. It's a game he wants to win for the sake of winning and he hasn't given much thought to what would happen if he actually did.

Can we vote him off the island - please?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Voting him off the island is the only way he'll get my vote.

--------------------
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It would be so cool to hear Jeff Probst say, "The tribe has spoken," while "#blindside," crawls across the screen under his befuddled, angry-baby face.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A sensible American's take on the Donald.

Whether there's anything in that or not, please all of you who do, heed this from someone who does not have a vote in this particular election.

You have to assume, and are entitled so to do, that:-
1. As he's standing, he wants to be president.
2. What he says, is what he means.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trump's campaign seems more and more like a Nuremberg rally without the good music!

(With apologies to any Germans who may be offended by that)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trump is really scaring me, not even so much for himself, but for the fact that he has so, so many supporters. It's really terrifying to see. At last I am beginning to understand how Hitler came to power.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
saysay--

quote:
Voting him off the island is the only way he'll get my vote.

I don't understand why you chose this particular link. Would you help me understand, please?

AIUI, Pat Buchanan is saying that the liberal media are driving everyday GOP folks towards Trump, by leveling the same criticisms at both for being politically incorrect.

Except...Trump has said a bunch of thoroughly racist stuff. And, from various of your past posts, racism is something you're very much against.

So why that article? And why from a sometimes tabloidish site???

Thx.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, here's a howdydo.

Josh Earnest's remarks from the White House look to have taken this to a different level.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The petition to ban Trump from the UK has now reached over 85,000 signatures - at 10,000 the government has to give some kind of response, at 100,000 it has to be considered for debate in parliament.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the UK blocked Wilders at some point? Or was it Australia?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That petition has now passed 100,000 signatures.

[ 09. December 2015, 11:52: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

It's over 119,000 at the moment. You can find out where the signers have come from, by constituency. There's a particular concentration of them round the north side of Aberdeen.

Well what a surprise.

There's a good turn out where I live as well.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What the hell, let Trump come over, and give him the welcome he deserves.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
What the hell, let Trump come over, and give him the welcome he deserves.

Please do. You may keep him there.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a rather good analysis of the Trump phenomenon.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh, do, do. You have some nice dungeons over there, I know. Castles, with moats and bars. Manacles!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I can lend you some crocodiles here from Africa for the moat.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

To a large extent, what is missing from all this stuff is some sort of cogent analysis as to why such a amateurish loon as Trump has ever made it to the top of the dung-heap. Where is the viable alternative narrative that will convince his current supporters that they are on a wild goose chase? What I see here is zero empathy for his supporters. That's empathy - not sympathy, empathy being the ability to put yourself in their shoes, however distasteful you may consider that project. And from it's absence, I'll bet most of you do.

Right now in Europe we have a somewhat different problem, but we also have far-right groups such as FN in France making much headway, and non-party groups such as Pegida arising. There are certainly similarities between the two continents, despite the more obvious differences.

The fact is, there is an enormous gap - a void, left by what we used to call the left wing parties. At some point after WW2 they become embarrassed to be associated with the working class, with all its warts. What passes for centre-left politics has been fatally infected by the import of identity politics. Which by definition has nothing to say to the majority except insofar as they can be corralled into some minority identity. And on the right - well, that's the domain of tax-dodging corporations and the ultra-wealthy with their offshore tax arrangements. What's in all this for the average Jo or Joanne?

It's a void waiting to be inhabited. And look! - here come all those populist demagogue orators, with their cheap sideshow rhetoric of hating the other, just like they have done at other times of stress and vacuity down the years. Yes, fear is a powerful driver too, but there have always been doom merchants, and the analysis needs to understand why they are successful now rather than then.

If you want to read something more instructive about how the left wing became alienated from the working class, here's another read for you, this time from Christos Tsiolkas. This one is a good read as well as relevant - it won entry into the compilation of best Australian essays published in 2014.

Back to the USA. You'll need to make suitable adjustment to the above narrative to make it fit the US situation, but I don't think that's too hard. I can't pretend to foresee where the Trump phenomenon is headed, especially from the other side of the Atlantic. But without some understanding of the demographic he appeals to, then it's all going to be guesswork anyway, surely?

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
quote:

To a large extent, what is missing from all this stuff is some sort of cogent analysis as to why such a amateurish loon as Trump has ever made it to the top of the dung-heap.

In what sense does the John Scalzi column above not do that (other than provide some form of exculpatory reasoning that will allow blame to be avoided by both the participants, and the conservative strategists who have used triangulation to drive politics rightwards).

quote:

Where is the viable alternative narrative that will convince his current supporters that they are on a wild goose chase?

It sounds like you are laying the blame for the right ratcheting up dog whistle politics at the feet of the left.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
chris stiles wrote:-
quote:
In what sense does the John Scalzi column above not do that (other than provide some form of exculpatory reasoning that will allow blame to be avoided by both the participants, and the conservative strategists who have used triangulation to drive politics rightwards).

I was in fact responding to the Berman article cited in passer's post. But I would apply the same critique to both articles, namely that they are devoid of any coherent analysis of the alienation of the working class support they (Trump, FN, etc.) attract. I'm not panning either article - they are both worth reading.

quote:
It sounds like you are laying the blame for the right ratcheting up dog whistle politics at the feet of the left.
Not even remotely. The right wing can take the blame for all their sleazy corruption and the rest of it. I am pointing out that if the left wing (or in the case of America, whoever these days looks after their interest, which is probably no-one) cannot provide a more compelling narrative for the working class than the farcical lies of Donald Trump, then does it not occur to you that there may be a colossal problem in that department?

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Agreed. Winning-- being the best, coming out on top-- is everything. In the end, the job itself will be too much work for too little pay for someone like the Donald.

quote:

Here's a different take on why he's so popular.

I do find this article to be an accurate indication of why Trump is so popular, but not for the reasons the article states.

Sure, there is liberal extremism, and that certainly doesn't help Dems appeal to mainstream moderate Republicans. But when the author slams liberals for things like recognizing/ addressing transgender issues he shows his true colors. He represents the so-called moderate wing of the GOP: appalled by Trump's over-the-top hate-filled rhetoric and worried about the inevitable destruction to the party, but unable to see their own culpability. Unable to see they are still spouting hate and denying science-- but in a quieter, more genteel way that sounds "moderate" when you're standing next to the ranting loon that is Trump. And then having the audacity to blame liberals for it.

Yeah. [Projectile]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A massive problem in America, and the U.K., is money. The money it takes to be in politics at a serious level means that the working-class is ever more irrelevant as those who claim to be on the left have much more in common with their Tory/republican opponents than they do their supposed constituents.
Trump succeeds through fear and through frustration.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

You made me sign something online. That is some kind of precedent.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
cliffdweller: Winning-- being the best, coming out on top-- is everything. In the end, the job itself will be too much work for too little pay for someone like the Donald.
More than that, if he does become the president, he can only fail. Sure, he won't build that wall and he won't deport all Muslims etc. That's breaking a promise to his supporters but he can talk himself out of that. Talking himself out of things is his specialty, so he isn't worried about that.

But if he does become president, he will also have to, you know, govern. That can only lead to failure, and he knows that.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You can hire people to do all that sort of thing for you, the same way you hire gardeners and people to iron your laundry.
However, I would not trust Donald Trump to walk my dog. To have him appoint a Secretary of Defense, or the chairman of the Federal Reserve -- the mere thought crisps my hair.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

You made me sign something online. That is some kind of precedent.
Makes you one of the, currently, 270,000 - though its going up about 12 signatures a second at the moment.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Brenda Clough: You can hire people to do all that sort of thing for you, the same way you hire gardeners and people to iron your laundry.
True, and I think he stumbled through his business life mostly in this way. But when you're president of the USA, there are limits to what you can outsource.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
The right wing can take the blame for all their sleazy corruption and the rest of it. I am pointing out that if the left wing (or in the case of America, whoever these days looks after their interest, which is probably no-one) cannot provide a more compelling narrative for the working class than the farcical lies of Donald Trump, then does it not occur to you that there may be a colossal problem in that department?

Sure, and I'd agree with arguments that the parties of the left have lost their way (largely by adopting a neo-liberal agenda and accompanying narrative). However, ISTM that to dwell on that in isolation ignores a fairly important problem of agency.

Supporters of Trump (and others) are demonstrating that they believe some form of weaponised viciousness towards some 'other' is the answer to their problems. I'm not sure that they wouldn't find social democracy (coupled by whatever level of economic critique) to be a fairly bland answer.

[ 09. December 2015, 18:06: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if Trump's ideas, if put into practice, would create much greater radicalization of young Muslims, not just in the US, but in other countries. I suppose you could also argue that even if not put into practice, this may happen.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only thing that's surprising to me is how surprised people are acting that a political party that's spent the last half century appealing to racists and angry nativists now has a front runner who is . . . an angry nativist and a racist! [Roll Eyes]

And it's not as if this is a completely new phenomenon.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
chris stiles: Sure, and I'd agree with arguments that the parties of the left have lost their way (largely by adopting a neo-liberal agenda and accompanying narrative).
No argument from me here either.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I wonder if Trump's ideas, if put into practice, would create much greater radicalization of young Muslims, not just in the US, but in other countries. I suppose you could also argue that even if not put into practice, this may happen.

I think it will happen regardless. Even if the relevant responsible* powers formulated a real plan to eliminate the fuel for radicalisation, it would not work overnight.**
A Republican*** president would likely make things worse, but I don't see any candidate available significantly reducing the problem.

*Responsible as in having the ability to affect any relevant change.
**Assuming their is such a possible plan.
***At least any of the knobs currently running.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
A massive problem in America, and the U.K., is money. The money it takes to be in politics at a serious level means that the working-class is ever more irrelevant as those who claim to be on the left have much more in common with their Tory/republican opponents than they do their supposed constituents.
Trump succeeds through fear and through frustration.

I was interested in this article on Corbyn, reflecting on "Britain’s permanent political class". With the Bush and Clinton clans to the fore, perhaps the finances involved are pushing the US in that direction also.

Or perhaps Trump is such a scumbag that he truly appeals to the lowest echelons of the educationally and ethically and morally challenged. In a land which prides itself on the ability of anyone to succeed, regardless of their social background, he's seen as a thumbed-nose to the entrenched professionals of the political scene.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I was interested in this article on Corbyn, reflecting on "Britain’s permanent political class". With the Bush and Clinton clans to the fore, perhaps the finances involved are pushing the US in that direction also.

ISTM, they've already arrived. And this is part of Trump's appeal. He is viewed as someone outside the system.
quote:

Or perhaps Trump is such a scumbag that he truly appeals to the lowest echelons of the educationally and ethically and morally challenged.

Both. But not just the ethically and morally challenged. This is a trap that many of us fall into. Some otherwise decent people support hate. It has always been thus. Was our racist Gran a horrible person? Not any more likely than not. Doesn't mean her racism was any better for that, but to demonise too greatly does not help.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
saysay--

I don't understand why you chose this particular link. Would you help me understand, please?

AIUI, Pat Buchanan is saying that the liberal media are driving everyday GOP folks towards Trump, by leveling the same criticisms at both for being politically incorrect.

For me the key points are:

quote:
His popularity is traceable to the fact that he rejects the moral authority of the media, breaks their commandments and mocks their condemnations. His contempt for the norms of political correctness is daily on display.

And that large slice of America that detests a media whose public approval now rivals that of Congress relishes this defiance. The last thing these folks want Trump to do is to apologize to the press.

And

quote:
Yet, now that the fourth estate is as discredited as the clergy in 1789, the larger problem is that there is no arbiter of truth, morality and decency left whom we all respect. Like fourth-century Romans, we barely agree on what those terms mean anymore.
I don't think he's blaming the liberal media for driving everyday GOP folks towards Trump so much as trying to explain his popularity to a media that doesn't seem to get it (and may not be able to truly understand it).

I've just read way to many media pieces about what Trump supporters really think and really feel and what is actually motivating them by people who appear to have never actually spoken to a Trump supporter.

But I think he makes some valid points about at least one of the factors driving Trump's popularity. People like the fact that he's holding his middle finger up to the media. A lot of people really hate the media but are dependent on it for information. Trump is doing what people wish they could do.

A lot of people are tired of being blatantly lied to by politicians and the ruling class. Trump seems authentic. Authentically hateful, but authentic.

And college-educated Americans and working class Americans barely speak the same language at this point. For the most part, political correctness is the language of people who have completed higher education. Morality, decency, respect is the language of people who haven't.

quote:
Except...Trump has said a bunch of thoroughly racist stuff. And, from various of your past posts, racism is something you're very much against.
Yes, Trump has said some thoroughly racist stuff. The media have made some thoroughly moronic commentary ('Muslim' is not a race).

But I also think it's a mistake to focus only on what support for Trump actually means about levels of religious and racial hatred in this country. Obviously different people have different reasons for supporting him. But if you want to convince his supporters that they should support a different candidate, you have to understand why they support him in the first place. And that comes from listening to them, not telling them what they actually think.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Quoted by saysay: His popularity is traceable to the fact that he rejects the moral authority of the media, breaks their commandments and mocks their condemnations.
Fun fact: no-one needs the media more for his candidacy than Donald Trump.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've just read way to many media pieces about what Trump supporters really think and really feel and what is actually motivating them by people who appear to have never actually spoken to a Trump supporter.

But I think he makes some valid points about at least one of the factors driving Trump's popularity. People like the fact that he's holding his middle finger up to the media. A lot of people really hate the media but are dependent on it for information. Trump is doing what people wish they could do.

Firstly, as a reality TV star Donald Trump is "the media".

Second, what I mostly got from Buchanan's was "OMG! Pat Buchanan is still nursing a grudge about Watergate and still insists on casting Richard Nixon as the innocent victim of an unwarranted witch hunt." Give it up, Pat!

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

To be honest I think the US got there before us, but yes, I agree.

Replying to chris stiles:
quote:
Sure, and I'd agree with arguments that the parties of the left have lost their way (largely by adopting a neo-liberal agenda and accompanying narrative). However, ISTM that to dwell on that in isolation ignores a fairly important problem of agency.

Supporters of Trump (and others) are demonstrating that they believe some form of weaponised viciousness towards some 'other' is the answer to their problems. I'm not sure that they wouldn't find social democracy (coupled by whatever level of economic critique) to be a fairly bland answer

I'm not ignoring other matters - simply trying to draw attention to an understanding of how we got such a void in the political systems of several western countries. If people are persuaded by these hucksters, they need to take responsibility for that right enough. But at the earlier (ongoing?) stage, responsibility needs to be shouldered by others. The dim sense that we may be part of that problem in some way might help.

Viciousness, fear etc. is a human weakness, as lilBuddha points out. Not an attractive one under the circumstances, but maybe it served some function in other more evolutionary situations. I'd need to think about that. Or maybe it's just a perversion of a protective impulse.

In any event, in different manifestations, I could point you to other examples elsewhere, not just surrounding Donald Trump.

(ETA crossposted with several)

[ 09. December 2015, 20:33: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
But when the author slams liberals for things like recognizing/ addressing transgender issues he shows his true colors.

And yet he doesn't. He criticizes Progressivism. And its Humpty Dumpty habit of making words mean whatever it wants them to mean and expecting the masses to accept it.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
But when the author slams liberals for things like recognizing/ addressing transgender issues he shows his true colors.

And yet he doesn't. He criticizes Progressivism. And its Humpty Dumpty habit of making words mean whatever it wants them to mean and expecting the masses to accept it.
Mr. Miller's article was lengthy, but its entire purpose can be summed up from two lines near the end.

quote:
Of the choices on tap, the establishment is the least of all evils and the only conceivable route to a non-Trump, non-progressive presidency next year.

<snip>

The author advises Marco Rubio's campaign for president.

There you go. Nearly two thousand meandering words distilled in two relatively short sentences.

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Mr. Miller's article was lengthy, but its entire purpose can be summed up from two lines near the end.

Crœsos post was short, but its entire purpose can be gleaned from the rest of his posting habits: he is trying to make people run screaming away from anyone who calls themselves a liberal or progressive.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I also signed the petition (something I don't normally do either) and the total number of signature is now approaching 350 thousand. I think a good case can be made that Donald Trump is a purveyor of hate speech against a religious minority. From the Civil Rights Movement website, the following quotes provide a brief summary of how hate speech is understood in the UK and the nature of the UK legal restraints.
quote:
What Are Typical Hate Speech Targets?

Hate speech is typically directed towards another person or group on the grounds of race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, colour, ethnic origin and religion. Hate speech can be shown in many forms, typically verbal abuse, written speeches, harassment or gestures. The intention of hate speech is to harass and distress the intended target. In many cases the use of hate speech can incite violence from one group towards another.

What UK Laws Offer Protection Against Hate Speech?

There is no actual law against hate speech itself in the UK. Legal protection is provided under various statutes. The Public Order Act 1986 forbids racial hatred against individuals of groups including colour, race, ethnic origin and nationality. This can include threatening behaviour and written material that is designed to cause harassment and distress. In 2006; The Public Order Act was been amended to include religious hatred. In 2008, the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act amended the Public Order Act to forbid the incitement of hatred on the grounds of sexual orientation.

The wording of the petition is as follows.

quote:
The UK has banned entry to many individuals for hate speech. The same principles should apply to everyone who wishes to enter the UK.

If the United Kingdom is to continue applying the 'unacceptable behaviour' criteria to those who wish to enter its borders, it must be fairly applied to the rich as well as poor, and the weak as well as powerful.

I'm not canvassing support here (that would be against Ship guidelines) but I thought the details might be of interest to US Shipmates.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:
quote:

I don't think so, because introduction of the issue of transgenderism is totemistic - the impact of transgenderism on the lives of most people is going to be miniscule at worst - rather transgenderism functions as a kind of reductio ad absurdum of the entire liberal 'project' and by extension signals cover for all the less socially acceptable prejudices of his audience.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016