homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:

The fact that Trump with his nylon hair could get the GOP nomination is within the bounds of possiblity.

Which could work out well - handing the presidency to the Democrats on a plate.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or badly - if Hillary Clinton fell under the proverbial bus, he could even win...
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BBC are reporting Mr Trump as saying "we cannot worry about being politically correct, we just can't afford any more to be so politically correct" (source, about 1 minute and 9 seconds into the video).

Hmm. Political correctness. That's like when someone isn't allowed into a debate because of their beliefs, isn't it? Supposing, hypothetically, someone suggested that about 1.6 billion people should not be allowed into an entire country because of their beliefs - how politically correct would that be? From where I'm sitting, if Political Correctness was a town, Mr Trump would be the Mayor.

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A conjecture that almost makes sense is that Trump is doing whatever he has to do to make sure the Democrats win. (He has supported Democrats in the past.) If this is true, it is reassuring, except that he is doing so in a very destructive fashion.

Can anyone imagine how bad the presidential campaigns may be in 2020 or 2024?

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
Have you talked to any of the non-rally attending Trump supporters who are showing up in his numbers but don't necessarily fit into the media narrative?

Interestingly, Republican apparatchik Frank Luntz recently did that. The most interesting thing for me was the degree to which the Trump supporters were impervious to contrary information.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
The most interesting thing for me was the degree to which the Trump supporters were impervious to contrary information.

And this, I think, is a good indicator of the political divide in the US. Those who get their news from a single source without cross-checking won't know to what extent the news they get may be slanted, prejudiced, or simply made-up, but they construct their view of the world from it regardless of the accuracy. While Faux News may have been designed for this purpose and is a clear example of it, they aren't the only ones guilty of biased / selective / overly inventive "reporting".

So you end up with people who really have significantly different ideas of what is going on in the world and what the major problems really are. When someone has had a consistently distorted diet, it reaffirms their view of the world and makes it very difficult to accept any contrary information.

The truth may be out there, but they can't (or won't) recognize it as such.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trump has decided to grace Phoenix with his presence next Wednesday -- if he can find a venue to hold 5000+ people with five days advance notice. (I think I'll stay home with my doors locked.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's a scary study, Croesos. Its findings are reminiscent of cult member behaviour. There has been a lot of rather nasty brainwashing going on in the home of the brave and the land of the free.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
Have you talked to any of the non-rally attending Trump supporters who are showing up in his numbers but don't necessarily fit into the media narrative?

Interestingly, Republican apparatchik Frank Luntz recently did that. The most interesting thing for me was the degree to which the Trump supporters were impervious to contrary information.
In that they are not unlike the man they follow.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Trump has decided to grace Phoenix with his presence next Wednesday -- if he can find a venue to hold 5000+ people with five days advance notice. (I think I'll stay home with my doors locked.)

He's found an airport hangar that accommodate him. (This is not the main Phoenix airport, just a smaller one pretty far out of town.)

[ 12. December 2015, 00:23: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

He's found an airport hangar that accommodate him. (This is not the main Phoenix airport, just a smaller one pretty far out of town.)
It'll be interesting to see how many would-be attendees go to the main airport.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, the Donald seems to be losing friends and Muslim business.

Like "Trump's name, image removed at Dubai development amid uproar" (Yahoo).

quote:
One of the world's wealthiest businessmen, Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, had sharp words for Trump on Friday, telling him via Twitter to withdraw from the presidential race, "as you will never win."

"You are a disgrace not only to the GOP but to all America," he wrote. The billionaire prince is chairman of investment firm Kingdom Holding Company.

The company behind the Trump Towers in Istanbul, meanwhile, said it is "assessing" its partnership with the Republican presidential front-runner.

And Trump's long-time friend, Russell Simmons, has published an open letter, telling him to "Stop the bullshit." (HuffPost)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

It'll be interesting to see how many would-be attendees go to the main airport.
Maybe he'll provide shuttle buses?

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do American children use a trump to mean a fart?

And do American adults describe windbags as farts?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The most interesting thing for me was the degree to which the Trump supporters were impervious to contrary information.

That is interesting and (as Barnabas62 said) scary. It reminds me of the quote attributed to Karl Rove about reality: "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

- Posted      Profile for Grokesx   Email Grokesx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

We're all the same due to the Backfire Effect

Short version: the article quotes Francis Bacon:

quote:
The human understanding when it has once adopted an opinion draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises, or else-by some distinction sets aside and rejects, in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination the authority of its former conclusion may remain inviolate
Comes as no surprise to anyone who has ever argued about shit on the internet, of course.

--------------------
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

Posts: 373 | From: Derby, UK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

We don't-- I'd never heard that usage until this thread. But ask me again in 11 months-- I'm thinking it might catch on.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

We don't-- I'd never heard that usage until this thread. But ask me again in 11 months-- I'm thinking it might catch on.
This could be the "santorum" for 2016.
[Snigger]

--------------------
~Tortuf

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The annoyance with Trump supporters is that they are functionally stupid in their support.
One might disagree with the other candidates, but at least they have a semblance of a plan for what they will do. Trump does not. They wish an outsider, which is not unreasonable, but they have chosen one who show no concern for actually learning what the job entails. All hat and no cattle, as the saying goes.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

And Trump's long-time friend, Russell Simmons, has published an open letter, telling him to "Stop the bullshit." (HuffPost)

What is interesting about that is that it gives us two possible Trumps.

1. A powerful bigot.

2. A powerful man simulating bigotry because he thinks he can get "the cheap seats" that way.

Option 2 is even worse than option 1. Grokesx reference to the Backfire effect looks pretty insightful and opens up all sorts of scope for a calculated play by a powerful ambitious man

Take your pick.

[ 12. December 2015, 21:39: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

3. A powerful man whose mind/brain is a mess.

4. A powerful man who, for whatever reasons, functions very differently in private than he does when speaking in public.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well, the Donald seems to be losing friends and Muslim business.

Like "Trump's name, image removed at Dubai development amid uproar" (Yahoo).

quote:
One of the world's wealthiest businessmen, Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, had sharp words for Trump on Friday, telling him via Twitter to withdraw from the presidential race, "as you will never win."

"You are a disgrace not only to the GOP but to all America," he wrote. The billionaire prince is chairman of investment firm Kingdom Holding Company.

Saudi Arabia is a disgrace to all Islam and the world.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Though that particular prince is one of the reformers, and has been actively promoting women's rights.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I'd spotted that as well. Saudi Arabia will prove difficult to reform but it does have some moderate voices.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish the Prince had added something like, "You call yourself rich? I have cars worth more than you!" Get him where he lives. Donald has always exaggerated his wealth and he's very insecure about it.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is only every one Babylon, it wears different faces in Saudi and the USA. We're commanded to subvert it with love.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Define "we". Carefully.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Followers of the Subverter.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
3. A powerful man whose mind/brain is a mess.

4. A powerful man who, for whatever reasons, functions very differently in private than he does when speaking in public.

I think your 3 is very close to my 1 and your 4 is pretty much the same as my 2, but with a bit of the messy part of your 3 thrown in for good measures.

I think he's bad and more than a little mad to boot, you think he's mad and conceivably bad as a result. You may be right, and you are certainly being more charitable than me!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Barnabas--

I'm not necessarily being more charitable. I just think the possibilities you listed aren't the only ones.

I've thought for some time that D has some sort of mind/brain problem. That's sad for him--even sadder for the world if he gets elected, and his problem affects everyone else for the worse.

By the bye, I also wonder if he might have hearing loss. That might account for his loudness. Watching him, he seems like he has a hard time hearing himself.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

FWIW I think Donald Trump is immensely vain. He knows he hasn't the looks for Hollywood (or even off-off-Broadway) so has taken the usual route and entered politics.

His character flaws are those of anyone who inherited wealth and has managed to reduce it in real terms. Had he invested in indexed funds then, since 1987, he would be worth three times what he is now. Essentially he makes money by lending out his name, another indication of vanity. His dad OTOH was a proper entrepreneur. I doubt DJT has had an original thought in his life.

If you want your country renamed the United States of Trumponia, or plain Trumponia, Donald J Trump is your man.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Golden Key, I do not think we should let people off who do not expressly present themselves as mentally ill, with the excuse 'he/she must be mad, psychologically disturbed or whatever, because that's the only way he/she could do that or be like that'.

If a person claims to be sane, occupies a public position or runs for office, then we should do them the courtesy of evaluating them as a sane person. If that evaluation works to their disadvantage, as against, 'they must be disturbed' or 'they can't help it', then so be it.

[ 13. December 2015, 13:47: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
You don't have to be a psychic to see and hear a guy at a Trump rally speaking into a microphone his opinion that Muslims should be kept out of the US, in order to know what this guy is thinking. HE JUST TOLD YOU. You have to be asleep not to know what people are saying out loud, in public, to anyone who will listen.

I think what people find most shocking is that he says what he thinks, with maybe the smallest amount of moderation. The reverse is probably true for everyone else who might have realistic designs on attaining public office.

Trump's no Muslims proposal is certainly shameful, counter productive and counter what I consider the basis of our society (fairness, hard work, equal opportunity, etc.). Most of all I think even if it were a good idea, it would be impossible to put in to practice. Do we want the government figuring out the basis for admittance to this country by investigating and interpreting a complex belief system held by a group of people who overwhelmingly pose no threat to us? Maybe people just want a wall thrown up around our borders. It's impossible. Focus on the people who are a threat and put our resources there.

Trump is horrible, but the Republicans to me right now are a lost cause as a whole. Unable to govern for formulate any sort of coherent or effective policy. I've come to the conclusion my only option is Clinton.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, to an outsider it seems suicidal, to adopt what is in effect a white racist programme. I guess it will appeal to some people, but surely not enough to win a national election? Most non-whites are going to be running scared from Trump.

I'm reminded of Goldwater, although I suppose this was a more anti-communist and pro-nuclear campaign.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pogrom, not programme.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trump Jr?
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Enoch--

I wondered about Trump long before he got into politics. (He's a media personality, here, so plenty of opportunities to observe him.) I haven't said he's insane--just that ISTM that something is wrong. And if it's a kind of wrong that could badly affect his decisions and behavior, as it evidently does, then it's a legitimate concern when he's running for president.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
However you reckon it, he is fantabulously unsuited to helm the state. I have cats who would make better Presidents.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
However you reckon it, he is fantabulously unsuited to helm the state. I have cats who would make better Presidents.

Did someone call me?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

At this point I think we're pretty much at the point where if this is the best they can come up with, we might as well throw out elections all together and have a lottery. Pulling a name at random from the phone book could hardly have worse outcomes.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when his country needs him?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the chances of Trump having some kind of personality disorder are rather high. I have been reading up on narcissism lately (to understand the behaviour of a person who mistreated and gaslighted me within an inch of my life a while back, and reassure myself that I am of sound mind) and Trump’s picture appears with frightening regularity alongside the articles.

In some fields of life, being a certifiable sociopath or narcissist can be quite an asset for getting ahead, like business. If Donald gets off on controlling people, what better control trip (and boost to his vanity, as Sioni says) could there be than President of the United States? Like Leroc, I suspect that in his heart of hearts he doesn’t really want the responsibility of the job. It’s the power that appeals to him.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Firenze--

That's not funny. [Frown]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yes, to an outsider it seems suicidal, to adopt what is in effect a white racist programme. I guess it will appeal to some people, but surely not enough to win a national election? Most non-whites are going to be running scared from Trump.

Interestingly the Trump campaign maintains it will not just win but completely dominate the African-American vote. As with all things Trump, it's impossible to tell from the outside whether this is bluster or self-deception.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I'm reminded of Goldwater, although I suppose this was a more anti-communist and pro-nuclear campaign.

I think you underestimate the electoral importance of Goldwater's opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you look at the electoral map of that year you'll note that the only states Goldwater carried were Arizona (his home state), Georgia, and the four states carried by Strom Thurmond's "Dixiecrat" campaign. That seems a pretty clear indication that the Goldwater campaign had at least something to do with America's racial politics.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

The lineup for tomorrow night's CNN Republican Presidential Debate has been announced. In the main event you have:

• Republican Frontrunner Donald Trump
  • Ted Cruz
  • Ben Carson
  • Marco Rubio
  • J.E.B. Bush
  • Carly Fiorina
  • Chris Christie
  • John Kasich
  • Rand Paul

This marks the return of Chris Christie to the prime time debate, who was in the undercard event last time around. CNN claims that "Christie has seen a resurgence in recent weeks, particularly in New Hampshire, a key state for his campaign", which means that he's surged from polling ~6% to polling ~10% in the state of New Hampshire. I haven't noticed any real movement by Christie in national polls, where he consistently draws ~3%.

Rand Paul managed to narrowly avoid being sent down to the minors:

quote:
Paul, who was in danger of being removed from the main stage, was saved at the 11th hour by showing viability in a Fox News poll released Sunday morning.
The undercard/kiddie table debate consists of:

• Mike Huckabee
  • Rick Santorum
  • Lindsey Graham
  • George Pataki

As near as I can tell there doesn't seem to be any real minimum threshold to participate in the "opening act" debate other than having a nominally-functional Republican presidential campaign.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when his country needs him?

That's a little extreme, especially for an arrogant fool on his way out the door!

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have this small book of 20th century history entitled 'The Dangers of Underestimating Populist Demagogues'.

I am placing my hope in the backstage machinations of Republican Party fixers. Sure the Party that gave us Watergate and the Florida ballot can rearrange the popular will?

(Cynical? Moi?)

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Firenze

It might take more than even an assassination to do that. Thing is, some of us "know in our knowers" just how dangerous demagoguery can be. I guess it has been burned into us as a result of 20th Century history. How many deaths will it take til they know that too many people have died?

Yet it seems that fear makes people forget. Trump is as false as his hair, you'd think anyone could see that. Would you buy a used car from this man? Apparently, millions of American citizens trust him a lot more than that. Personally, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. But I don't have a vote.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[tangent]Why do you have to be so personally wealthy to run for president in the states ? Is it the way the primary system works, no party funding at that stage ? I ask because people are muttering about primaries coming to the UK, but if it distorts the field this way I think it would be a bad thing.[/tangent]

[ 15. December 2015, 19:50: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You don't have to be wealthy. It is also okay to be very popular. But if nobody loves you, then money does buy you love -- the Beatles were wrong, at least as far as political love goes.

And sometimes all the money in the world does not buy you love, if you are deep-down unpopular. Jeb Bush, looking at you.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016