homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post 
Perhaps the surveys showing such widespread support for Trump need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I would not vote for Trump in a fit, but if I were American, and a pollster asked me my intentions, I would be sorely tempted to say I was going to.

That is because the percentages of voters ostensibly favouring him produce such a hysterical reaction from the humourless, self-important, self-righteous trendy-lefties of the commentariat.

Of course there are Republicans and other conservatives who criticise him also, but their reactions tend to be more of the perplexed and eye-rolling variety, which are not remotely as entertaining.

It is possible there are many others who can't resist stirring the possum, but will not vote for him when it comes to the crunch.

I have not been following this thread, so apologies if anyone has already said something similar.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
I would not vote for Trump in a fit, but if I were American, and a pollster asked me my intentions, I would be sorely tempted to say I was going to.

Brilliant! I hadn't thought of the "freak out the establishment" factor.

Sometimes when people ring trying to sell me solar panels, I try to sell them my new 'wave power in your bath' invention. Often, they just hang up before I can get the full joke out, which is rude.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Sometimes when people ring trying to sell me solar panels, I try to sell them my new 'wave power in your bath' invention. Often, they just hang up before I can get the full joke out, which is rude.

The joke is rude? Or hanging up on you is rude?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect the joke involves the control and redirection of gaseous emissions.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How rude!

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Except that some people are actually going to vote for him for this sort of reason. “Sticking it to the man” is an important element in Trump’s popularity.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I once managed to annoy and waste the time of a pestering telesales person so much that he actually swore at me, which I felt was a worthwhile achievement. While I'm wasting their time, they're not ringing some naive elderly widow and persuading her to part with her life savings.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
quote:
quote:

Except that some people are actually going to vote for him for this sort of reason. “Sticking it to the man” is an important element in Trump’s popularity.
I am starting to believe that this 'Donald Trump' is in fact some kind of Performance Artist trying to constantly see how extreme far-right he can go and still find significant GOP support. I suspect that a communal sing-along of of 'Springtime for Hitler' isn't far off. Just watch whose lips move.

He will then (or possibly after securing the nomination) reveal himself to be Sasha Baron-Cohen in a funny wig (the campaign strategy seems to have been entirely based on the 'Borat' methodology).

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When he bursts into a chorus of "Throw the Jew down the well", all will be made clear...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
When he bursts into a chorus of "Throw the Jew down the well", all will be made clear...

Wait-- you mean he hasn't yet???

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
I once managed to annoy and waste the time of a pestering telesales person so much that he actually swore at me, which I felt was a worthwhile achievement. While I'm wasting their time, they're not ringing some naive elderly widow and persuading her to part with her life savings.

You are a blessing and a gift to all humanity.

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

The joke is rude? Or hanging up on you is rude?
Dialing up strangers to sell them things they didn't request is rude. However, it also establishes the rules of acceptable decorum (or absence of same, as the case may be), for those who choose to treat responding as a game (which choice, in turn, is within the rules).

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My idea is that if you phone me, unsolicited and without my previous acquaintance, you are opening yourself to any response I care to make. And some of them are very very creative indeed.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A summary of Trump's dealings in Scotland. Home town boy makes good, eh?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post 
I share the irritation with telemarketers, but am aware that many of them are just students, desperate for a buck, doing it part-time, and indifferent or hostile to the business and the product which they are representing, so I don't abuse or bait them.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Sorry, I'm not interested, thank you." [Click] is the most they ever get from me. If it's a robocall, then [Click] is all they get.

They're not calling me because they want to annoy me or play games with me. They're calling because this is probably the only job they could find in a hostile economy, and it sure beats living on the street and eating out of garbage cans.

I'm sure they're used to (even trained to expect) being hung up on. There's no reason why I, sitting in my comfortable chair in a well heated home munching on a snack I probably don't need, should play games with them when that's not the reason why they called.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
"Sorry, I'm not interested, thank you." [Click] is the most they ever get from me. If it's a robocall, then [Click] is all they get.

They're not calling me because they want to annoy me or play games with me. They're calling because this is probably the only job they could find in a hostile economy, and it sure beats living on the street and eating out of garbage cans.

I'm sure they're used to (even trained to expect) being hung up on. There's no reason why I, sitting in my comfortable chair in a well heated home munching on a snack I probably don't need, should play games with them when that's not the reason why they called.

Like.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
My idea is that if you phone me, unsolicited and without my previous acquaintance, you are opening yourself to any response I care to make.

Bullshit. That's not Christian. Is it so hard to just say "I'm not interested" and hang up? This is like that dreary "War on Christmas" mindfuck. We need to pull up our big girl panties and deal. If the worst thing that happens to you in a day is somebody calls you up to sell you double glazing, are more fortunate than 99% of humanity.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
I am starting to believe that this 'Donald Trump' is in fact some kind of Performance Artist trying to constantly see how extreme far-right he can go and still find significant GOP support. I suspect that a communal sing-along of of 'Springtime for Hitler' isn't far off. Just watch whose lips move.

He will then (or possibly after securing the nomination) reveal himself to be Sasha Baron-Cohen in a funny wig (the campaign strategy seems to have been entirely based on the 'Borat' methodology).

You know, after everything that has happened this year, if this did in fact turn out to be true, I think my lack of shock would be the only thing to shock me. In the meantime, I am going to articulate a deep suspicion about the integrity of those polls.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Bullshit. That's not Christian. Is it so hard to just say "I'm not interested" and hang up? This is like that dreary "War on Christmas" mindfuck. We need to pull up our big girl panties and deal. If the worst thing that happens to you in a day is somebody calls you up to sell you double glazing, are more fortunate than 99% of humanity.

I really don't agree. Yes we do get double glazing and solar panel calls. But, most of the calls here are from criminals abroad trying to get access to your computer and/or your personal bank details. Or from bucket shops abroad trying to sell fake financial products. All these are criminal here but they are outside the range of our criminal law.

Perhaps you don't get this is the US, but these people are vermin and need to be handled as vermin.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A summary of Trump's dealings in Scotland. Home town boy makes good, eh?

That's quite a good article.

For the benefit of Transatlantic readers, the quotation in it which describes the Scots as
quote:
"this notoriously fractious little country"
doesn't come from somebody being rude about Scotland. It comes from a well known Scottish journalist. I'm not Scottish, but as a statement it is a badge worn with pride.

If you follow the link in her name, it will take you to an article by her in the Scotsman. It dates from back in 2012, but there's nothing in it that does not remain pertinent today.

If following the link in the Atlantic's article is too complicated for any of the ship's Able Seamen, this will take you to it.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But, most of the calls here are from criminals abroad trying to get access to your computer and/or your personal bank details. Or from bucket shops abroad trying to sell fake financial products. All these are criminal here but they are outside the range of our criminal law.

Perhaps you don't get this is the US, but these people are vermin and need to be handled as vermin.

When my niece was at university she worked in a call centre. I hope she wasn't treated as vermin.

Within a couple of words I know it's a cold call. I just politely say 'no thank you' and put the phone down before they can say another word.

But I think this discussion could go on another thread.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And here it is ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
When my niece was at university she worked in a call centre. I hope she wasn't treated as vermin.

Boogie, there's a difference between a call centre that receives calls, and one that makes cold calls on people.

[ 19. December 2015, 13:05: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you get a call which denies that it is selling anything you can be sure it's a cold caller.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Ew. The Donald couldn't have said it better. Or worse. Historically, calling other people "vermin" doesn't usually lead to hugs and puppies.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:

Ew. The Donald couldn't have said it better. Or worse. Historically, calling other people "vermin" doesn't usually lead to hugs and puppies.
There are some telemarketers who are calling to sell you something you don't want, to get you to vote for a candidate, etc. It's a horrid job, and those who do it are not vermin but people who must be pretty hard up to take a job like that.

Then again, there are those (usually calling from a country not covered by our Do Not Call list) who are calling to rip you off -- getting you to turn over control of your computer, access to your credit card or bank account, pretending to be your grandchild who's stuck somewhere and needs money, etc. Many of the scams are aimed at the elderly who tend to be caring and who may not be tech-savvy. Those people don't deserve hugs and puppies.

I have found that a combination of an unlisted phone number, being on the Do Not Call list, having caller i.d., and being able to block numbers have all been a huge help. I rarely get cold calls except from politicians (they get to call me once, and then their numbers are blocked).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the non-Trump side, tonight's Democratic debate became a little more interesting yesterday afternoon when the Sanders campaign filed a complaint against the DNC in Federal District Court.

Supporters of the Democratic candidates who aren't Hilary Clinton are starting to ask why the DNC has scheduled its debates for Saturdays, especially today, when they will be going head to head against a rare Saturday night NFL game and every holiday party in the country. Almost like they don't want anyone to watch and become aware that there are other options. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

Supporters of the Democratic candidates who aren't Hilary Clinton are starting to ask why the DNC has scheduled its debates for Saturdays, especially today, when they will be going head to head against a rare Saturday night NFL game and every holiday party in the country. Almost like they don't want anyone to watch and become aware that there are other options. [Paranoid]

Could have been that they knew that it would be dull, and predictable, and old, and white, and uninspiring, and that nobody would watch anyway...

At least if you put it on a Saturday night, just before Christmas, against a consequential NFL game you don't have to make up excuses when no one gives a shit and doesn't watch.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
quote:
quote:

Yes, true. I find that amazing. What is Donny if not an establishment figure? He's apparently wealthy, he inherited a fortune from his father, who I have on vague authority was a New York slum lord who made his money dealing with Tammany Hall. Anyone know where he went to school?

Incidentally, I didn't intend to derail the thread into a discussion of cold callers, and I'm glad to see a new thread has gone up. I thought I'd get everyone to like me by cracking a funny.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Boy, one hates to go all Godwin, but calling people vermin is one step from calling them non-human. Nichtung.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
He's apparently wealthy, he inherited a fortune from his father, who I have on vague authority was a New York slum lord who made his money dealing with Tammany Hall.

Yeah, only government is allowed to be a "slumlord", ostensibly because they do it with stolen money and not their own.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

'Twas Enoch, not Boogie. (Who does bring hugs and puppies.)

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Definitely not me! My niece worked in one of these places while she was studying to make ends meet. She's as far from vermin as it's possible to get.

She now has a PhD and works as an ed-psyche, she's a terrific person. Like me, if she gets a cold call she simply says a polite 'No thank you' and puts the phone down with no further interaction.

You can't assume the person is a criminal, but talking long enough to get an idea of their intentions is a waste of time. Especially when you get 3-4 of these calls a day, as we do.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

I confirm that it was me who called them vermin. I'm happy not to deny it. Boogie, I'm sure your niece was in the jurisdiction, only rang people who hadn't signed the register not to be rung and was selling a reputable product, rather than 'I am Anthony from the Windows service centre with a foreign accident but claiming to be in Manchester', or 'we are conducting a survey into what financial products you have and how much you earn', or 'do you like wine and a fantastic opportunity to pre-buy vintage futures', or whatever -pick the scam of your choice.

Incidentally, I assume Shipmates know why scammers have moved into the fake wine futures market. It's outside the scope of the Financial Services regulations.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
saysay--

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
saysay--

Thanks for your explanation. [Smile] I'm thinking through it, and will try to reply within a few days.

Sorry it's taken me so long. Yes, media of any type can be biased, have an agenda, and distort the news.

I wonder if some of these media sources might be closer to what you're looking for?

--POOR magazine
"POOR Magazine, the organization, is a poor people led/indigenous people led non-profit, grassroots, arts organization dedicated to providing revolutionary media access, arts, education and solutions from youth, adults and elders in poverty across Pachamama." {Mother Earth}

--Alternative news sources (World-Newspapers)

Sites linked there include:

Democracy Now--Sometimes known as "the exception to the rulers". [Smile] I listened to the radio show for years, and occasionally catch the TV version now. IME, Amy Goodman really does work hard at getting to the truth, and it's not necessarily what the mainstream media (of whatever stripe) comes up with.

Dissident Voice--I hadn't heard of this one, but it looks like it's in line with your stated views and interests.

Inequality--See my comments on DV.

--Some other sources I'm familiar with that I'll let you look up:

FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting)

Latino USA--Radio show.

Mother Jones--Social justice, among other things.

On The Media--Radio show that calls out the media on various screw-ups and biases, and does it with a bit of attitude and humor.

Project Censored--Unveiling censored news stories.

--You might also like Pacifica radio.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
quote:

'Twas Enoch, not Boogie. (Who does bring hugs and puppies.)
Apologies, Boogie, for the UBB error.

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Golden Key -

I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful.

I used to read almost exclusively Lefty news sources (Huffpo, Salon, Slate, NPR among mainstream publications, Mother Jones, Alternet, ThinkProgress, etc.) They fit squarely with a lot of my ideological beliefs.

But then I realized how often they

1) completely misrepresented what their opponents said, sometimes while linking to video of the offending statement

2) decided that they knew better than the person speaking what the person really meant and really thought and felt (which can be considered a form of emotional abuse)

3) denied the existence of people (or groups of people) either because they had never encountered them within their liberal bubble or because they had no other way to argue with them

There's honest intellectual disagreement (which I know can be frustrating especially when you find yourself on the losing side). And then there's dishonest argumentation or trying to simply silence dissent (sometimes with serious accusations).

IMHO far too many on the left, including those in the media, have been indulging in the latter two far too often in recent years. Given how heavily the Ship tilts leftward, it sometimes seems like a bit of pushback would be a good idea.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lindsey Graham, we hardly knew ye.

(At least a few people have suggested this is more significant than it would appear, given Graham's dismal numbers throughout the campaign. There was speculation that some senators were reluctant to endorse anyone while their senior colleague was still in the race, and that influential South Carolina voters and business groups were also holding back endorsements until Graham was out, out of respect. He may have realized that the best thing he could do to hurt Trump was drop out.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
saysay--

Understood. That's why I tried to select those resources carefully. Most of them aren't specifically leftist. And some, like POOR, are actually written and run by the poor and oppressed, who you said didn't have a voice. Most of them are about getting the truth out there, no matter what it is.

YMMV. But you don't have to use the list. [Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As to biased publications, I have a news app that I have organized to have a lefty publication right next to a a right wing publication. It would be funny if it weren't so important with national elections coming up the way both twist facts and make up shit about the other side. It takes research to dig up the facts and too many Americans only want to see whatever backs up their opinion so don't bother.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
Golden Key -

I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful.

I used to read almost exclusively Lefty news sources (Huffpo, Salon, Slate, NPR among mainstream publications, Mother Jones, Alternet, ThinkProgress, etc.) They fit squarely with a lot of my ideological beliefs. ...

Saysay, I've never heard of any of the others you mention, but is the Huffington Post regarded in the US as 'lefty'?

It comes over as middle ground here. The proprietrix was for many years the companion of a well known columnist on the Times, sadly now dead, who was at times entertainingly acerbic about the establishment, but hardly a closet Trot.

Alternatively is there a difference in language here? Here, there's are differences between 'left of centre', 'on the left' and 'lefty'. In our terminology, Corbyn is all three of those, David Miliband was the first and Ed Miliband, the second. But then, those three names may all be as unfamiliar in the US as the other six news sources you mentioned are here.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Saysay, I've never heard of any of the others you mention, but is the Huffington Post regarded in the US as 'lefty'?

Somewhat left of center, but not super lefty.

quote:
The proprietrix
WTF?

[ 23. December 2015, 02:36: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Somewhat left of center, but not super lefty.
AFAICT it's regarded as lefty in terms of the mainstream media (which, as Ruth notes, means left of center but not super lefty).

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
The proprietrix
WTF?
Seriously WTF? Or for effect?

(Proprietrix would be the female form of proprietor. It's a trifle affected, but I wouldn't have thought too obscure.)

[ 23. December 2015, 04:21: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I've always been partial to "aviatrix" for a woman aviator--probably because it was sometimes used for Amelia Earhart.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

-ix endings are dead. Dragging it back to indicate the proprietor is female seems unnecessary and therefore sexist.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
quote:
The proprietrix
WTF?
Seriously WTF? Or for effect?

(Proprietrix would be the female form of proprietor. It's a trifle affected, but I wouldn't have thought too obscure.)

What mousethief said.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
-ix endings are dead. Dragging it back to indicate the proprietor is female seems unnecessary and therefore sexist.

At the Learned Societies palooza in Ottawa last year, I sat through 20 minutes of an entomologists/linguists panel on this very topic. Apparently, dominatrix continues as legitimate (if problematic for one's confessor) and the aforementioned aviatrix has a kosher period usage, but other ixes are considered affected unless the intent is offensive. One panellist said that the ix ending has a greater legitimacy in Canada as there is a higher rate of Latinists (who knew that we had any at all?) and more people are accustomed to the French -ice (e.g. coordinatrice) ending. After all of this, a publisher friend told me that she found being described as an editrix amusing, but she was infuriated by being called a copy editor.

Still, if Mrs Clinton gets the final nod, we will then have the linguists argue if the Spanish-language version of her title would be presidenta or presidente. If Mr Trump gets it, one can only wonder what he might be called in Spanish.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Augustine the Aleut: At the Learned Societies palooza in Ottawa last year, I sat through 20 minutes of an entomologists/linguists panel on this very topic.
They were discussing -ix endings in insect names? [Razz]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016