homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 38)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Brazil's system can't prevent the elections from being close, of course. But what it is magically good at is preventing disputes that might arise from this closeness.

Brazil's last elections in some legislatures were very close. But I haven't seen disputes of this kind.

That's good that you haven't. But I can assure you that electronic voting systems are not a magical way to keep such disputes from happening. You haven't seen them because they are mercifully rare—which is why the 2000 presidential election here was the anomaly, not the norm.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
They look at the numbers the voting machines give. They see which one is the highest, even if the difference is very small. And whoever got that highest vote won. End of.

We have those here too, you know. And the instance I mentioned was one where it was discovered that the electronic voting machines had failed to record thousands of votes—enough to potentially change the results of an election. And since there were no paper ballots to go back and look at, it was A Big Mess.

[ 10. February 2016, 20:21: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(LOL, I just looked it up. There is a case of a municipality in the state of São Paulo, where the difference between the winner and the runner-op was exactly one vote. No-one asked for a recount. That's almost unthinkable; people trust the result of the tally. The reaction of the winner? "It's a good thing that I didn't argue with my wife today, because that would have tipped the balance.")

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Nick Tamen: And the instance I mentioned was one where it was discovered that the electronic voting machines had failed to record thousands of votes—enough to potentially change the results of an election.
Brazilians will be glad to know that even their machines are better than those in the US. (And I think they are.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
(LOL, I just looked it up. There is a case of a municipality in the state of São Paulo, where the difference between the winner and the runner-op was exactly one vote. No-one asked for a recount. That's almost unthinkable; people trust the result of the tally. The reaction of the winner? "It's a good thing that I didn't argue with my wife today, because that would have tipped the balance.")

We have close or tied municipal elections here with some frequency. The tied ones are decided by the flip of a coin.

And yes, sometimes people choose not to demand a recount or otherwise challenge the results.

But I think anyone would agree that the stakes are different when it's a close presidential election rather than a close municipal election. I doubt the losing candidate would just shrug and walk away.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Nick Tamen: But I think anyone would agree that the stakes are different when it's a close presidential election rather than a close municipal election. I doubt the losing candidate would just shrug and walk away.
He'd make a lot of noise, no doubt. But I don't think Brazilian law gives him the possibility of a lengthy recount.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
But I don't think Brazilian law gives him the possibility of a lengthy recount.

Then if that's the case, one could argue that Brazilian law fails to adequately protect the integrity of the vote by favoring speedy resolution over accuracy and establishing what vote actually was.

And of course, one could certainly argue the opposite. But that's what I'm talking about, though, with the problems with saying one system is "better" than another. Different systems establish different priorities.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those who are interested, here are the delegate totals to date.

First the Republicans:
  • Trump 17
  • Cruz 11
  • Rubio 10
  • Kasich 5
  • Bush 4
  • Carson 3
  • Fiorina 1
  • Paul 1
  • Huckabee 1

Anyone in italics on that list (Rand Paul and Mike Huckabee) has dropped out / suspended their campaign. There are a total of 2,472 delegates to to the Republican convention so a candidate needs 1,237 delegates to win the nomination on the first ballot. To put this in perspective, Donald Trump now has ~1.4% of the delegates needed to win the Republican nomination.

On the Democratic side things get a bit trickier. In addition to delegates awarded through the electoral process there are unpledged delegates (sometimes referred to as "superdelegates"). These are people who get a vote at the Democratic National Convention by virtue of being a notable Democrat (current Democratic members of the U.S. Congress, current Democratic governors, current and past Democratic Presidents, Vice Presidents, DNC chairs, etc.). These superdelegates can vote whichever way they want and make up about 15% of total delegates to the Democratic National Convention. So here are the current Democratic standings, with the number of superdelegates who've made public statements of support noted in parentheses.

• Sanders 36 (+14)
  • Clinton 32 (+344)
  • O'Malley 0 (+2)

No, that's not a typo. Hillary Clinton has already secured the endorsements of about half the available superdelegates. Interestingly the tactic of getting early commitments from superdelegates is one that Barack Obama used to do an end run around Clinton back in 2008, so apparently she learned that lesson. At any rate, there are 4,051 regular delegates and 712 superdelegates at the 2016 Democratic National Convention, meaning a candidate has to get the support of at least 2,382 delegates (super- or otherwise) to secure the Democratic nomination on the first ballot.

Of course, superdelegates are allowed to change their minds. For example, the two superdelegates who endorsed Martin O'Malley will probably switch their support to another candidate now that he's out of the race.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Nick Tamen: Then if that's the case, one could argue that Brazilian law fails to adequately protect the integrity of the vote by favoring speedy resolution over accuracy and establishing what vote actually was.
But the Brazilian system is accurate.

quote:
Nick Tamen: And of course, one could certainly argue the opposite. But that's what I'm talking about, though, with the problems with saying one system is "better" than another. Different systems establish different priorities.
I disagree. If indeed the Brazilian system is accurate and discards with the need for recounts, I would say that it is better.

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, voting machines have been a major issue in many areas, since they are all provided by private companies and don't allow inspection of their software. There have been cases of them reporting more votes than voters. And after the head of one of the companies made some comments about helping to get Republicans elected, they have come under increased suspicion and scrutiny.

One of the results of that is that the city of San Francisco is working on an open source solution with standard hardware.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks like we won't have Carly Fiorina and Chris Christie to kick around anymore.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Sorry for continuing to beat this hammer, but looking at Florida 2000, the argument "we may be slower but that's because we prioritise accuracy" isn't very strong. After 15 years, do we accurately *know* how many people voted for Bush and how many voted for Gore?

Sure, there is an official number, but can we vouch for its accuracy? Different kinds of ballot, some of them confusing. People voting for more than one candidate. Millimeter-wide differences over whether chads were punched or not.

Surely, a system that doesn't have these problems is objectively better?

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sorry for continuing to beat this hammer, but looking at Florida 2000, the argument "we may be slower but that's because we prioritise accuracy" isn't very strong. After 15 years, do we accurately *know* how many people voted for Bush and how many voted for Gore?

But the reason we don't know is that the recount was stopped-- iow, it favored speedy resolution over accuracy.

Again, there is so much to fault in the US electoral system-- or even with the 2000 election-- but the fact that the result wasn't "speedy" wasn't one of them.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
cliffdweller: Again, there is so much to fault in the US electoral system-- or even with the 2000 election-- but the fact that the result wasn't "speedy" wasn't one of them.
Okay, I can see the argument "we should have taken more time to recount the Florida results". Given the oddities of the system, that would have been the best solution. At least, taking more time might have helped to take some of the ambiguities away.

But can you imagine that for an outsider, it would have been better not to have these oddities in the first place? At least to this outsider, the fact that more time was needed is a symptom of a deeper problem.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, I think you're focusing on the wrong thing here. I think the ambiguous results/ extremely close election were an anomaly, but one that could happen anywhere-- even Brazil with their brilliant machines. It's the other factors that caused that-- and other-- elections to be so seriously messed up. As Nick mentioned, focusing on the "speed" as a desirable end goal and/or pressuring candidates with a lot on the line to "just accept the results" would only make that worse.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great post on the DNC Croesus, thanks. I'm presently in denial about the Republican race.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Nick Tamen: Then if that's the case, one could argue that Brazilian law fails to adequately protect the integrity of the vote by favoring speedy resolution over accuracy and establishing what vote actually was.
But the Brazilian system is accurate.
What gives you such confidence that this is so?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps the Brazilian system is believed to be accurate, because the general population haven't experienced rigged voting machines and/or don't suspect anyone would be devious enough to try to rig them.

That's not the case in much of the US.

Here in Oregon we have machines to count the ballots, but the original paper ballots are still available to verify the results if there is any question. (And part of the verification process includes cross-checking batches of ballots.)

But then, the biggest problem with our elections appears to be coffee stains on the ballots, since they are often filled out at the kitchen table.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Dave W.: What gives you such confidence that this is so?
Because they perform checks afterwards.

In the evening of Election Day, the results are announced. Everyone starts drinking. Selling alcohol is forbidden until the polls close, so afterwards the supporters of the winning parties drink to commemorate, and the losers drink to forget. After the third beer, winners and losers stumble arm in arm across the streets and all is well, Brazilian style.

But the election officials don't abandon the voting machines and join the party. Various checks are performed after Election Day (I think this already starts in the evening), to ensure that the voting record is accurate. They perform the same kind of checks they would do if they had something like a recount. These checks have always shown that the election results were accurate.

Both Brazil and the US had elections in November 2000. Now imagine me, January 2001, sitting on Vila Velha beach with a Brazilian friend, sharing an ice cold bottle (literally) of Brahma. He says to me: "The US is supposed to be the more developed country. We have roughly the same amount of voters. Brazil has bigger geographical challenges, especially in the Amazon. And obviously we have less resources. But look:"

US
  • Many ballots were confusing, causing people to vote wrongly, especially less litterate people.
  • Millimeter fights over whether a chad was punched or not.
  • Confusion about which tribunal gets to decide about these things.
  • Lots of room for parties to try and manipulate this.
  • As a consequence, a long recounting process, and after this the result was still dubious.

Brazil
  • The whole country uses the same voting system. It was designed to be easy to understand, especially by the illiterate. A lot of work was done on television and by other means to explain the system, so that everyone understood it.
  • It isn't possible to have an argument over whether someone has voted or not. They either punched a button and confirmed or not. Later checks have shown that this tally was accurate.
  • It is very clear who gets to decide, in case there would be ambiguities: the Supreme Electoral Court.
  • Political parties don't have this kind of way to try to rig the system.
  • We had a result the very same evening, and it was later confirmed to be accurate.
What else could I do than raise my glass to him and nod in agreement?

Saying "you can't compare apples and oranges, it depends on the needs and priorities of each country" becomes a bit weak here. By every objective measure, Brazil does this better.

Saúde! (cheers)

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LeRoc--

Respectfully, any country can have election tampering and fraud.

I did a search on "Brazil election tampering", and found this, from 2014:

Fraud possible in Brazil's e-voting system: Vulnerabilities found in the pioneering electronic voting system could lead to tampering in the country's upcoming general elections.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Golden Key: I did a search on "Brazil election tampering", and found this, from 2014:

Fraud possible in Brazil's e-voting system: Vulnerabilities found in the pioneering electronic voting system could lead to tampering in the country's upcoming general elections.

It is good that people continue to cast a critical eye on Brazil's voting system, of course. There are a number of groups and websites looking at potential fraud, and obviously they formulate their conclusions in a slightly harsh way as if the fraud is already happening. It is a good thing that these groups exist, and they should continue doing exactly that. What's important is that the Brazilian system takes these views into account when they continually recheck their systems. But AFAICS, after rechecks, no actual cases of voting machine fraud have happened.

I'm beginning to sound like a PR person from the Brazilian government. I can assure you that I'm not. The Brazilian electoral system is far from free of other forms of fraud. Fraud happens, on a rather large scale. The easiest way is for candidates to give these metal bottles of cooking gas to poor families in order to buy their votes. These cost around 30 €, and for many families that's a large monthly expense.

But we are talking about the system of registering voters and tallying votes here. The consensus of people who know about these things internationally is that on these accounts, the Brazilian system, if not perfect, is among the best. Many Latin American and African countries come to Brazil to get inspiration for their voting systems. Countries wanting to copy the US system?
[Killing me]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

PS I also find it interesting that whenever I say "I think the Brazilian system is better than the US one", people seem to hear "I think the Brazilian system is perfect".

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
PS I also find it interesting that whenever I say "I think the Brazilian system is better than the US one", people seem to hear "I think the Brazilian system is perfect".

Nope. I've got no problem with you thinking that the Brazilian system is better. Really, none. I'll even entertain (seriously) the possibility that you may be right.

What I, at least, am reacting to is the "that could never happen here" attitude generally, and the idea that electronic voting is a magical way to avoid close, contested elections specifically. I see no reliable proof of that, either in your posts or in other articles I've read, other than it hasn't happened yet. Perhaps it never will. But my experience tells me that there is no truly foolproof system.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Nick Tamen: What I, at least, am reacting to is the "that could never happen here" attitude generally, and the idea that electronic voting is a magical way to avoid close, contested elections specifically.
I don't have a "that could never happen here" attitude. I do think that electronic voting can help prevent some problems. I mean, you just need to look at these images of people trying to decide whether a chad was still fixed at one corner or not … to decide "there must be a better way".

I also think that electronic voting can help under certain circumstances. The whole country having the same voting booths and software is a big help (avoiding some of the problems Carex talked about, related to San Francisco). Checking the results after the election day is another. Listening to people who warn about potential for hacking and trying to do something about it, continually improving your systems, is a third. Even then, no system can ever be perfect. But you can make it pretty good in this way.

I read a lot about politics in the US; my personal opinion about its voting system? It's rubbish. I don't need to turn to Brazil for that: my native country the Netherlands also does it better. But in this case, one could retort that the Netherlands is a smaller country, making it easier. I took Brazil as an example, not only because it's a country I know well, but because it has roughly the same size. It is about simple common sense. When it comes to voting systems, dozens of countries do it better than the US.

Since some particular failings of the voting system were being discussed on this thread, I just wanted to add that [Smile]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
quote:
Nick Tamen: What I, at least, am reacting to is the "that could never happen here" attitude generally, and the idea that electronic voting is a magical way to avoid close, contested elections specifically.
I don't have a "that could never happen here" attitude.
Thanks for clarifying that, since that's not the message I was picking up from your posts, particularly this one:

quote:
quote:
cliffdweller: Unless you have some magical way to prevent [close, contested elections] from happening I don't see how it would be any different in Brazil.
There is such a magical way. It is called electronic voting.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Nick Tamen: Thanks for clarifying that, since that's not the message I was picking up from your posts, particularly this one:

quote:
quote:
cliffdweller: Unless you have some magical way to prevent [close, contested elections] from happening I don't see how it would be any different in Brazil.

Uhm yes, this is how we post on the Ship sometimes.

(I do think that what you put in brackets in cliffdweller's post isn't what she intended, but that's another thing.)

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Dave W.: What gives you such confidence that this is so?
Because they perform checks afterwards.
[...]
But the election officials don't abandon the voting machines and join the party. Various checks are performed after Election Day (I think this already starts in the evening), to ensure that the voting record is accurate. They perform the same kind of checks they would do if they had something like a recount. These checks have always shown that the election results were accurate.

You're sure the results are accurate because "they perform checks afterward"?

If you happen to have a reference that supplies more details, I'd be interested in taking a look at it. For example, at what levels are the vote counts aggregated, and is there any independent record other than the numbers stored in machine memory? And who are "they", and how do they ensure that the software on each machine did exactly and only what the law requires?

If you don't know the details, that's fine - there's no particular reason why you should - but then it would still be hard for me to understand why you express such confidence. (I'm sure whoever was responsible for keeping Petrobras's accounts, "they" would have assured everyone that the books were accurate and checks had been performed.)

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Dave W.: If you happen to have a reference that supplies more details, I'd be interested in taking a look at it. [...] And who are "they", and how do they ensure that the software on each machine did exactly and only what the law requires?
"They" are the Supreme Electoral Tribunal (TSE). There are independent checks as well. I can find plenty of references, but they're mostly in Portuguese.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
(I do think that what you put in brackets in cliffdweller's post isn't what she intended, but that's another thing.)

Well, what she said was:
quote:
The problem in 2000 is that the results were so incredibly close as to be in dispute by both sides. Unless you have some magical way to prevent that from happening I don't see how it would be any different in Brazil.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

So incredibly close as to be in dispute is rather vaguely formulated. Is the problem that elections are close, or is the problem that they are in dispute? No-one wants to prevent elections from being close.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Nick Tamen: Thanks for clarifying that, since that's not the message I was picking up from your posts, particularly this one:

quote:
quote:

Uhm yes, this is how we post on the Ship sometimes.

fwiw, the bracketed material was precisely what I intended.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Why would anyone want to prevent close elections from happening?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it is a clear majority, then there is grumbling, recalcitrance and (God knows) whining but people do go along. If it is very close (Bush-Gore comes to mind) then there is always doubt. The great thing that Nixon did when in his race was to simply concede when it was very close. If he had fought it out it would have been very destructive.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

The bracketed remark said close and contested.

Which was in response to your claim that Brazil has a magical way to prevent that. As I've said many times, it's not the closeness nor the "contested" part that concerns me, it is the lack of a clear process in handling the recount that was problematic in 2000. You seem to be inordinately fixated on getting a speedy count. I believe that goal is diametrically opposed to my goal of an accurate count, and in fact was the reason the 2000 election continues to be a source of controversy in the US.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The great thing that Nixon did when in his race was to simply concede when it was very close. If he had fought it out it would have been very destructive.

This is a popular myth without any real basis in fact, possibly driven by an overly charitable desire to ascribe at least one positive attribute to Richard F. Nixon*. For a little perspective, in order to achieve outright victory in the 1960 Presidential race Nixon would have had to have the electoral results in Hawaii, Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, and New Jersey (I picked the states with the smallest Kennedy-favoring vote margin) all overturned without having any of the narrow Nixon-favoring states overturned. That's for an outright victory. If he managed to overturn the first three of those states (again without any of the 1960 Nixon states) he could have deprived Kennedy of an outright electoral college victory (because 15 electoral votes went to Harry F. Byrd), throwing the election to the 87th Congress, a body dominated almost 2:1 by Democrats.

In short, any route Nixon had to victory, or even mounting a realistic legal challenge, in 1960 requires a series of incredibly implausible assumptions.

--------------------
*Yes, I know his middle name was "Milhous", but to me he'll always be Richard fking Nixon.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:

The Election Workers' Prayer: "Dear Lord, whoever wins, let them win big. Amen."

But as cliffdweller said, it's not a matter of "preventing" close elections. It's a matter of when there are close elections having processes to give everyone confidence that nothing—not miscounts, nor human error, nor fraud, nor corruption, nor mechanical or electronic glitches—is cause to question whether the final count accurately reflects the votes cast.

When the margin is a decisive one, everyone can feel pretty comfortable that even if there were some problems, they didn't affect the ultimate outcome. But when the margin is very close, the possibility that even a small problem affected the outcome goes way, way up. It's a matter of adequate checks within the system to deal with that.

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

quote:
quote:
Dave W.: If you happen to have a reference that supplies more details, I'd be interested in taking a look at it. [...] And who are "they", and how do they ensure that the software on each machine did exactly and only what the law requires?
"They" are the Supreme Electoral Tribunal (TSE). There are independent checks as well. I can find plenty of references, but they're mostly in Portuguese.
Independent checks like what, if you don't mind my asking?
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Great post on the DNC Croesus, thanks. I'm presently in denial about the Republican race.

Thank you. If you want an analysis of the Republican side of things I recommend this article by Sam Wang. It may not help your denial, but it is informative.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

The bracketed remark said close and contested.

Which was in response to your claim that Brazil has a magical way to prevent that. As I've said many times, it's not the closeness nor the "contested" part that concerns me, it is the lack of a clear process in handling the recount that was problematic in 2000. You seem to be inordinately fixated on getting a speedy count. I believe that goal is diametrically opposed to my goal of an accurate count, and in fact was the reason the 2000 election continues to be a source of controversy in the US.

The challenge Cliffdweller faces with this is that there was not a single election in 2000 -- nor will there be for 2016. One has fifty-plus elections for presidential and vice-presidential electors, all governed and managed by state officials and agencies. There continue to be grave problems of efficiency (see recent press coverage on Florida, Texas, and Missouri) and, in a few places, theoretically impartial agencies and officers are in reality, not so much. While I can see an argument for the Electoral College, I do not know if we can any longer smile upon a lack of national standards for their election.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
But when the margin is very close, the possibility that even a small problem affected the outcome goes way, way up. It's a matter of adequate checks within the system to deal with that.

When the margin is very close, one could argue that it was a statistical tie, and so the statement that the electorate preferred one candidate over the other isn't accurate.

In that case, it doesn't matter so much that the vote count is accurate so long as it doesn't show systematic bias towards one party.

(The catch is that it's basically impossible to prove a lack of bias if you don't have accuracy...)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Processes aside, and even these primary/caucus results aside, a most important and incredible thing to me is that every four or eight years here in the US, we enjoy an overwhelmingly peaceful transfer of power. By and large liberties are preserved and life proceeds as usual. Though I no longer find politics thrilling, I do appreciate that its ebb and flow is relatively uneventful.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
cliffdweller: You seem to be inordinately fixated on getting a speedy count.
For the Brazilian friend I was talking to on that sunny beach in Brazil in January 2001 (did I mention how cold the beer was?), the delay was the most visible aspect of the faults in the system.

quote:
cliffdweller: I believe that goal is diametrically opposed to my goal of an accurate count
It doesn't have to be. Of course a balance needs to be struck between the two, but it is possible to be both speedy and accurate, at least to be better on both counts than what happened in Florida. If you have a crappy system, it will take a lot of time to be accurate. If you have a better system, it will take less time to be accurate. I took Brazil as an example, but a number of countries show that it can be done.

quote:
Dave W.: Independent checks like what, if you don't mind my asking?
I don't mind at all [Smile]

According to the article I just read, some of the institutions that execute independent checks are the Brazilian Order of Lawyers (OAB) and Public Persecutions (MP). There may be more; I'd have to dig deeper. I appreciate what you said about Petrobras above, but in all this turmoil, institutions like the OAB and the MP have a high standing with the Brazilian public. They are the ones who bring corruption scandals like this to the limelight.

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

quote:
quote:
Dave W.: Independent checks like what, if you don't mind my asking?
I don't mind at all [Smile]

According to the article I just read, some of the institutions that execute independent checks are the Brazilian Order of Lawyers (OAB) and Public Persecutions (MP). There may be more; I'd have to dig deeper. I appreciate what you said about Petrobras above, but in all this turmoil, institutions like the OAB and the MP have a high standing with the Brazilian public. They are the ones who bring corruption scandals like this to the limelight.

Did that article provide any information at all about what the "checks" actually consist of? I can easily understand what's involved in a recount of paper ballots; what exactly are they supposed to be checking in the Brazilian electronic system?

(And while the OAB and MP are to be applauded for their role in bringing the Petrobras scandal to light, they obviously weren't able to prevent it from starting or growing to gargantuan size in the first place. It would have been nice to have uncovered it before $11B walked out the door, rather than after.)

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
The challenge Cliffdweller faces with this is that there was not a single election in 2000 -- nor will there be for 2016. One has fifty-plus elections for presidential and vice-presidential electors, all governed and managed by state officials and agencies. There continue to be grave problems of efficiency (see recent press coverage on Florida, Texas, and Missouri) and, in a few places, theoretically impartial agencies and officers are in reality, not so much. While I can see an argument for the Electoral College, I do not know if we can any longer smile upon a lack of national standards for their election.

Yes. I acknowledged upthread the inherent problems of the electoral college and other factors that negatively impacted 2000. I am not defending any of those things. I'm just disputing the fact that Brazil has some magically way to provide both fast and accurate-to-the-point of indisputable results in a close election such as we had in 2000. It may be that no one does dispute them-- for a variety of reasons (cultural norms, no clear process, fear of retribution-- who knows?)-- or it may just be that they haven't had any large nat'l elections that have been that close (they're not exactly common in the US).

Again, I think there are all sorts of problems with the US election system. I would include the electoral college system/ vast differences in the election system/methodology-- although that comes in 2nd and 3rd after the super-PACs created by Citizen United. I'm simply suggesting that the fact that a recount takes time is not one of those problems.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Dave W.: Did that article provide any information at all about what the "checks" actually consist of? I can easily understand what's involved in a recount of paper ballots; what exactly are they supposed to be checking in the Brazilian electronic system?
From what I've been able to read, they check whether the system is still sealed, they check whether the software has been tampered with, they check the printed voted record with the one that has been publicised, they check the number of voters with the number that came through the door. They have a couple of other tests that are secret to the public, secret even to the people who man the polling stations.

quote:
cliffdweller: I'm just disputing the fact that Brazil has some magically way to provide both fast and accurate-to-the-point of indisputable results in a close election such as we had in 2000.
But they can. Many countries can. Just because the US can't do it doesn't mean it's impossible. There's nothing special about close elections. Other countries have them too sometimes.

They have good registration processes. Good systems for tallying votes. And good processes for checking them afterwards. The results are accepted, and these things show that the votes are accurate.

It's not rocket science.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Australian Electoral Commission. Widely considered excellent. Our elections are considered of high quality...

...Last federal election, they lost a ballot box in Western Australia, making a recheck impossible, and the entire Senate election in that State had to be rerun because it was so close and there were enough papers in that box to change the outcome.

Just saying. No system is perfect. I'd prefer our system to some of the oddities of the US system any day, but it doesn't make it infallible.

[ 12. February 2016, 06:52: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
orfeo: Just saying. No system is perfect.
Yes, and that's what I've been saying a gazillion times on this thread already.

If Brazil had a close election and a voting machine would have gotten lost, they would have had a problem.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
But when the margin is very close, the possibility that even a small problem affected the outcome goes way, way up. It's a matter of adequate checks within the system to deal with that.

When the margin is very close, one could argue that it was a statistical tie, and so the statement that the electorate preferred one candidate over the other isn't accurate.
Very true. Such a result can make it very hard to govern. But a statistical tie is not the same as an actual tie. Unless there is an actual tie, there is a majority vote, however small.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
According to the article I just read, some of the institutions that execute independent checks are the Brazilian Order of Lawyers (OAB) and Public Persecutions (MP).

[Ultra confused]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

LOL, I wanted to say Public Prosecutions. The Portuguese term is Ministerio Público; I don't know if it has a good translation in English.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016