homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Hill just published its list of thirteen most likely Republican presidential candidates. Most of the names above the "Waiting in the Wings" section have been mentioned on this thread already with the exception of Mike Huckabee. While the opening quote calls this "the most open field we’ve ever seen", to me it seems eerily reminiscent of 2012.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:

Now, the Democrats are determined to give Hillary Clinton her opportunity to run for president in a general election. Few people of any political persuasion are in love with her. I don't get it. Democrats should nominate Amy Klobuchar. She has all the same policy positions as Clinton and she's likeable.

My first cynical thought is that the DNC expects the next President to be Republican, and is running Hilary as this go-round's Dukakis.

Which isn't to say they'd be unhappy if she were elected--but I don't think they're banking on her winning.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
LeRoc--

Except the Republican party is pro business. If they stop to think about that, they might decide it's wiser not to support Carly. She was a large part of running HP into the ground and wrecking its much-vaunted culture.

As a woman, I was thrilled and proud when she got that job--doesn't happen often, here. Let's say I was not amused by her job performance.

The Republicans are only pro certain businesses, though. They certainly support the Mitt Romney sorts of business, which create capital out of completing the destruction of possibly foundering businesses, but not necessarily the bread-and-butter mom-and-pop type businesses which comprise so much of the main Street not Wall Street sorts of enterprise that fuel much of the US economy.

So Carly may have as much of a shot as Mitt (who, I hear, is being begged to run again).

I would tend to agree with you but, generally speaking, what is important is that the Republic party is believed to be pro-business. Whether or not it actually is may not be terribly relevant.
Yes, they're pro BIG business, though they like to talk as if they're in favor of small business, too.

However, re Carly having as much of a chance as Mitt: she helped wreck a much-vaunted BIG business. So unless they nominate her for wrecking a worker-friendly culture...which is not out of the question...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
So unless they nominate her for wrecking a worker-friendly culture...which is not out of the question...

Huh. I thought that was a plank in the Republican platform.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So Jeb Bush is now officially running for President, or he's at least decided to "actively explore the possibility of running for president of the United States", which amounts to the same thing. Is the U.S. ready for another Bush presidency? As far as I know his policy views and positions are fairly close to those of his still-massively-unpopular brother.

And then there's this:

quote:
Next month, Gov. Bobby Jindal is bringing a mass prayer event to LSU's campus sponsored by a conservative Christian group that has espoused controversial views on a number of issues, including the causes of Hurricane Katrina.
Isn't this how Rick Perry kicked off his presidential bid in 2012, with a supposedly non-political prayer rally? Of all the Republican efforts in 2012 that seems like the the one future candidates should try to avoid emulating. It was poorly organized, the candidate was ill-prepared for public appearances, and . . . there was a third thing but I forget what it was. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It mildly surprises me that America is comfortable with political dynasties.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It doesn't surprise me at all. The US is not really a democracy. If we were a real democracy, we'd have real choices when choosing major-party candidates for president during the primaries. What actually happens is that all the money lines up behind the few preferred candidates of the rich, powerful elites, and we get to choose among those few people. The rich, powerful elites are fine with political dynasties -- they're all about keeping things in the family.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Why? We've had them before. John Adams and John Quincy Adams. Teddy Roosevelt and Franklin Roosevelt.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We could have added the Kennedys if only they didn't keep getting assassinated.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:

Why? We've had them before. John Adams and John Quincy Adams. Teddy Roosevelt and Franklin Roosevelt.
And let's not forget Benjamin and William Henry Harrison.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
We could have added the Kennedys if only they didn't keep getting assassinated.

Or drove better.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

There has been only one presidential election without a Bush or a Clinton since 1976. That's 38 years.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
The only reasons the Republicans are doing well in Congress is

A) gerrymandering of districts in the House
B) standard shift away from party of the incumbent president in the Senate

C) the Citizens United decision, which has given a whole new meaning to the saying "money talks."

D) knee-jerk voter approval of any candidate who calls himself "a conservative" without asking exactly what it this means, or exactly what the candidate is seeking to conserve.

I also agree that if Republicans are pro-business, they'd better look to their laurels in the area of promoting honest government. Business on the whole does not do well in an environment of corruption (which I would define simply as officials refusing to do their jobs without being bribed). Citizens United, again, is making this problem worse.

I like Hillary, and might love Elizabeth Warren. Of the Republicans, I could live with Christie, and Rand Paul is at least interesting. The others scare me. But how much difference will the whole question make? The idea of becoming an ex-pat is more and more intriguing. If I'm going to die in a third-world country, it might as well be some other third-world country.

[ 22. December 2014, 20:26: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Presidents having to show Christian credentials? Meh. What you have to do is show alleged MORAL credentials. Which is why a Mormon made it as far as he did in the last race, and why Jimmy Carter got bagged on all the time for actually believing all that stuff and letting it affect his actions. (Mustn't go that far, of course!) Basically what you must have is church membership in a mainstream denomination, the duller the better (we're not looking for much more than that as an electorate, and we'll get squeamish about active activity such as teaching or preaching, or even membership in some of the denominations with a more "active" reputation.) and an ability to make broad sweeping statements that can't offend anybody (for example, Muslims/Jews/extreme patriots/other Christian groups, which means avoiding a lot of potholes, most notably all but the most glancing of references to Jesus). So no praying in Jesus' name or mentions of Christian doctrine where anybody can hear you, which includes your private life (which won't be private, of course). But you can quote him as a great human teacher all you want, and it will add to your moral cred (don't ever come out and say that, but do act from that perspective and you'll be all right).

This came up as a tangent in another thread and rather than getting off on an unrelated tangent I thought I'd analyze it here. So what are the religious affiliations of the current field of candidates? How many of them belong to a "mainstream denomination"? Let's see!

Republicans
There are so many Republican contenders (declared, soon to be declared, and still "exploring") you could almost do a statistical analysis of their religious beliefs. So how do they shake out?

Declared Candidates (listed in chronological order of declaration of candidacy)

Rafael Edward “Ted” Cruz – Not just a Southern Baptist, but his father is a pastor. The Southern Baptists are not a "mainstream denomination", not least because they reject being called a "denomination" of any sort.

Randal “Rand” Paul – Born into the Presbyterian faith and still allegedly an adherent. Some would say his true gods are libertarianism and capitalism, but he is officially a member of a "mainstream denomination".

Marco Rubio – Rubio is the most interesting case of all the announced candidates. He was born into Roman Catholicism, spent time as a Mormon, then attended a Protestant megachurch before returning to Catholicism. He identifies as Catholic but also still attends that Protestant megachurch. One blogger described it as "Sunday mornings with the Virgin Mary, Saturday nights with Fun Jesus!" Neither one of these qualifies as a "mainstream denomination", a term which in an American context typically means "Mainline Protestant". Besides, whatever other criticisms can be leveled at the Catholic Church, "squeamish[ness] about . . . teaching or preaching" isn't one of their faults.

Benjamin “Ben” Carson – A Seventh Day Adventist, definitely not considered a "mainstream denomination".

Cara “Carly” Fiorina – Raised as an Episcopalian but currently "an irregular churchgoer who is not affiliated with a particular denomination". I'm not sure birthright membership really counts as "church membership in a mainstream denomination".

Michael “Mike” Huckabee – Not just a Southern Baptist but a Southern Baptist minister. Still not a "mainstream denomination". (See entry for Ted Cruz above.)

George Pataki – A lifelong Roman Catholic. Despite much more widespread social acceptance of the faith in the U.S. since it was a stumbling block for JFK, it doesn't fall into the usual parameters of a "mainstream denomination" for either American political purposes or LC's description of the term. (See entry for Marco Rubio above.)

Richard “Rick” Santorum – Not just a Roman Catholic, but a Catholic so secure in his faith he feels comfortable lecturing the Pope on the contents of upcoming encyclicals. (Ironically the Pope being lectured by Santorum to "leav[e] science to the scientists" has a master's degree in chemistry and is thus a scientist himself, something that cannot be said of Santorum.) Like Marco Rubio and George Pataki, not a member of a "mainstream denomination". In fact, given his advocacy of re-criminalizing homosexuality, Santorum is arguably outside mainstream Catholicism (by U.S. standards) as well.

Lindsey Graham – A Southern Baptist, which means he's not a member of a "denomination" (see note on Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee above), let along a "mainstream" one.

Scheduled Announcements (have scheduled events to announce candidacy)

James Richard “Rick” Perry – Grew up in the United Methodist Church (the mainstreamiest of American "mainstream denominations") but suddenly switched to a non-denominational megachurch not long before his last attempt at the Republican Presidential nomination. Pretty much by definition you can't be a member of a "mainstream denomination" if you go to a non-denominational church.

Donald Trump – Born into the Presbyterian faith and claims to still be an adherent. This does qualify as a "mainstream denomination".

Exploratory Committees (have an exploratory committee but no announcement date scheduled yet)

John Ellis “Jeb” Bush – Surely this scion of old money New England belongs to some crusty "mainstream denomination", right? Nope. Although raised as an Episcopalian (a very "mainstream denomination"), Jeb Bush converted to Roman Catholicism in 1995. (See entries on Rubio, Pataki, and Santorum as to why this isn't a "mainstream denomination" as the term is being used here.)

Christopher “Chris” Christie – A member of the Roman Catholic faith. (See entries on Rubio, Pataki, Santorum, and Bush as to why this isn't a "mainstream denomination" as the term is being used here.)

Piyush “Bobby” Jindal – Another Roman Catholic. (See entries on Rubio, Pataki, Santorum, Bush, and Christie as to why this isn't a "mainstream denomination" as the term is being used here.)

John Kasich = Interestingly identifies as "Anglican". Most Americans in communion with the Anglican Church identify as "Episcopalian", but either way I think he still gets credit as belonging to a "mainstream denomination".

Scott Walker – Currently a member of a non-denominational evangelical church. As noted under Rick Perry, you can't belong to a "mainstream denomination" if you go to a non-denominational church.

Democrats
A much smaller field here.

Declared Candidates

Hillary Clinton – A member of the United Methodist Church. As noted above (see Rick Perry) this is usually considered a very "mainstream denomination" in the U.S.

Bernard “Bernie” Sanders – Although not particularly observant, Bernie Sanders is Jewish. Though this is likely to help him avoid LC's mentioned pitfalls of "praying in Jesus' name" or "mentions of Christian doctrine where anybody can hear you", he's still not a member of a "mainstream denomination".

Martin O’Malley – A Roman Catholic. (See entries on Rubio, Pataki, Santorum, Bush, Christie, and Jindal.) It's interesting that half a century after JFK's Catholicism was considered an impediment the most numerously represented faith in the 2016 presidential primaries is Catholicism.

Scheduled Announcement

Lincoln Chafee – A member of the Episcopal Church, a "mainstream denomination".

Exploratory Committee

James “Jim” Webb – I can't find much about Webb's religious beliefs other than that he's identified as a follower of "non-denominational Christianity" on his Wikipedia entry. Once again, if you're non-denominational you can't belong to a "mainstream denomination".

So, if we abide by LC's rule of thumb, if the Republicans want to win the White House in 2016 they should nominate Rand Paul, Donald Trump, or John Kasich. Everyone else is just wasting their time and their donor's money because they don't belong to a "mainstream denomination". The Democrats, on the other hand, could choose either Hillary Clinton or Lincoln Chafee and still have a shot at the presidency.

There. That clears out and simplifies what was becoming a very cluttered field. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Short answer: Wait till after the primaries. Anyone and everyone can announce candidacy now, including a 35-year-old belly-dancing chain-smoking baboon. Just as long as it was born here.

And playing word games about non-denominational denominations is just silly.

[ 03. June 2015, 18:37: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:

Well, citing John Quincy is a good way to make me uncomfortable with American dynasties. He was an asshat.

And I can walk down the street, throw a rock, and probably hit a houseful of people who were not comfortable with the Bush dynasty. Like Ruth said, when things come closer to an actual democracy, then we can start generalizing about what America is comfortable with.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would be much happier if all of this could be delayed, or compressed, or something. The election is not for more than a year! If we could confine all campaigning to the year of the election, that would give us 3 years off for the 1 year on.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The election is not for more than a year!

But it's only two months until the Iowa State Fair, where candidates will be evaluated on whether or not they can eat a corn dog in a dignified manner. I truly cannot think of a better way to evaluate leadership ability. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
n,This came up as a tangent in another thread and rather than getting off on an unrelated tangent I thought I'd analyze it here. So what are the religious affiliations of the current field of candidates? How many of them belong to a "mainstream denomination"? Let's see!

. . . Rafael Edward “Ted” Cruz – Not just a Southern Baptist, but his father is a pastor. The Southern Baptists are not a "mainstream denomination", not least because they reject being called a "denomination" of any sort.

. . .

Lindsey Graham – A Southern Baptist, which means he's not a member of a "denomination" (see note on Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee above), let along a "mainstream" one.

Your Wikipedia link is to "Mainline Protestant." "Mainline" is not the same as "mainstream," either in meaning or etymology. A religious group can be mainstream without being Mainline, and an argument could be made that some of the Mainline groups are decreasingly mainstream. Where I live, Southern Baptists are the mainstream religious group, and as they're the largest Protestant group in the country, I don't see how they cannot be considered mainstream by any definition.

As for "denomination," I know plenty of Southern Baptists who have no problem at all with the Southern Baptist Convention being called a denomination. But in any event, I understood Lamb Chopped to be using "denomination" generally to mean "religious group," rather than in a more strict sense. So I understood "members of mainstream denominations" to include Sourhern Baptists, Roman Catholics and Jews.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
But in any event, I understood Lamb Chopped to be using "denomination" generally to mean "religious group," rather than in a more strict sense. So I understood "members of mainstream denominations" to include Sourhern Baptists, Roman Catholics and Jews.

But when I noted Southern Baptist Ted Cruz's use of the equally Southern Baptist Liberty University as the place to announce his candidacy she explicitly rejected the idea that Liberty U. was associated with what she'd termed "mainstream denomination[s]".

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
But in any event, I understood Lamb Chopped to be using "denomination" generally to mean "religious group," rather than in a more strict sense. So I understood "members of mainstream denominations" to include Sourhern Baptists, Roman Catholics and Jews.

But when I noted Southern Baptist Ted Cruz's use of the equally Southern Baptist Liberty University as the place to announce his candidacy she explicitly rejected the idea that Liberty U. was associated with what she'd termed "mainstream denomination[s]".
Liberty is affiliated with a group of 500+ churches called Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia. These churches separated from the 14,000+ church Baptist General Association of Virginia. While the Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia are considered a state convention by the SBC, Liberty is not affiliated with the SBC.

And at least in the link you provided, LC did not explicitly reject the idea that Liberty is associated with what she'd call a "mainstream denomination." Rather, she said she was talking about the denomination a candidate belongs to, not the denominational affiliation of photo-op locations.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know, Croesos, you could talk TO me rather than ABOUT me.

And Nick Tamen is right.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
n,This came up as a tangent in another thread and rather than getting off on an unrelated tangent I thought I'd analyze it here. So what are the religious affiliations of the current field of candidates? How many of them belong to a "mainstream denomination"? Let's see!

. . . Rafael Edward “Ted” Cruz – Not just a Southern Baptist, but his father is a pastor. The Southern Baptists are not a "mainstream denomination", not least because they reject being called a "denomination" of any sort.

. . .

Your Wikipedia link is to "Mainline Protestant." "Mainline" is not the same as "mainstream," either in meaning or etymology. A religious group can be mainstream without being Mainline, and an argument could be made that some of the Mainline groups are decreasingly mainstream. Where I live, Southern Baptists are the mainstream religious group, and as they're the largest Protestant group in the country, I don't see how they cannot be considered mainstream by any definition.

As for "denomination," I know plenty of Southern Baptists who have no problem at all with the Southern Baptist Convention being called a denomination. But in any event, I understood Lamb Chopped to be using "denomination" generally to mean "religious group," rather than in a more strict sense. So I understood "members of mainstream denominations" to include Sourhern Baptists, Roman Catholics and Jews.

Exactly. For the purposes of this discussion, Southern Baptist and non-denominational (i.e. independent) evangelical are as mainstream as it gets, and the gold standard for GOP candidates. Roman Catholic used to be a problem for US presidential candidates (see JFK) but now that we (evangelicals) have joined up with them to bully gays and feminists, we've decided they're "mainstream" Christian as well-- at least for voting purposes. Mormon (see Romney) is still a bit on the edge, but likely to also become an acceptable stances for GOP presidential material, as long as they don't cave on the aforementioned dead horse issues.

With Dems it's a much more complex and nuanced equation. And then there's leftie evangelicals like me who usually don't even factor in at all, as was noted on the other thread (see Jimmy Carter).

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

Well, let's look at what LC defines as the characteristics of a "mainstream denomination" in the context of U.S. Presidential politics. They are:

• dull (optional)
  • not engaged in active activity such as teaching or preaching
  • don't have an "active" reputation
  • make broad, sweeping, yet inoffensive statements
  • never make any but the most glancing references to Jesus
  • never pray in Jesus' name
  • never mention Christian doctrine where anybody can hear
  • only quote Jesus as a "great human teacher"

These characteristics don't make me think of Southern Baptists generally or any of the various presidential candidates claiming to be Southern Baptists specifically. They do sound s lot like the standard criticisms white American evangelicals have been leveling against mainline Protestant churches for the past several decades, ever since they decided that "evangelical" and "mainline Protestant" were mutually exclusive categories. You can see why the equivalence was noted.

quote:
So I understood "members of mainstream denominations" to include Sourhern Baptists, Roman Catholics and Jews.

As noted before, the Catholic Church most notably fails LC's "no teaching or preaching" standard. They're very enthusiastic about both.

Jews are a bit closer call. They definitely don't pray in Jesus' name, rarely (if ever) refer to Christian doctrine, and often consider him a "great human teacher". Unfortunately like the Catholics they're great supporters of teaching, though not necessarily preaching. (At least to outsiders. Does internal preaching count?) They've also got a fairly "active" reputation. In fact, if you check out some of the more fevered corners of the internet you'll see that for some people the Jews have reputation of being involved in everything!

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

And you're still talking around me.

If you want to discuss my meaning, why not ask me?

Instead of ignoring me and twisting my words.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Well, let's look at what LC defines as the characteristics of a "mainstream denomination" in the context of U.S. Presidential politics. They are:

• dull (optional)
  • not engaged in active activity such as teaching or preaching
  • don't have an "active" reputation
  • make broad, sweeping, yet inoffensive statements
  • never make any but the most glancing references to Jesus
  • never pray in Jesus' name
  • never mention Christian doctrine where anybody can hear
  • only quote Jesus as a "great human teacher"

These characteristics don't make me think of Southern Baptists generally or any of the various presidential candidates claiming to be Southern Baptists specifically. They do sound s lot like the standard criticisms white American evangelicals have been leveling against mainline Protestant churches for the past several decades, ever since they decided that "evangelical" and "mainline Protestant" were mutually exclusive categories. You can see why the equivalence was noted.

No, I don't see why the equivalence was noted.

All, or almost all, of the characertistics you've listed were given as characteristics of the candidate, not of any denominations—as in we get antsy about candidates who engage in activities such as preaching or teaching or who pray openly in Jesus' name. (Seriously, is there any Christian denomination other than the Quakers that does not engage in preaching?) Granted, it's not quite as clear whether "the duller, the better" is talking about a dull denomination, but in context it seems plain to me it's meant to modify "church membership," so as to say the candidate must be a lackluster member of a mainstream denomination.

As far as I can tell, the only descriptors LC gave of denominations are "mainstream" and the reference to denominations with "a more 'active' reputation,"when she noted that membership in such a group might make Americans "squeamish." Essentially, I understood her to say that Americans generally like someone who is not on the fringes religiously and who can talk the talk—but not too loudly or passionately, please—but who isn't going to actually walk the walk.

[ 04. June 2015, 01:20: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
All, or almost all, of the characertistics you've listed were given as characteristics of the candidate, not of any denominations—as in we get antsy about candidates who engage in activities such as preaching or teaching or who pray openly in Jesus' name.

With the possible exception of Carly Fiorina, I'm not sure this distinction makes any real difference to the candidate analysis.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
quote:
All, or almost all, of the characertistics you've listed were given as characteristics of the candidate, not of any denominations—as in we get antsy about candidates who engage in activities such as preaching or teaching or who pray openly in Jesus' name.

With the possible exception of Carly Fiorina, I'm not sure this distinction makes any real difference to the candidate analysis.
It makes a significant difference when you frame your entire analysis by saying:
quote:
Well, let's look at what LC defines as the characteristics of a "mainstream denomination" in the context of U.S. Presidential politics.
It makes a difference because the analysis is based on a faulty premise. Contrary to your premise, LC did not define the characteristics of a mainstream denomination in the context of US presidential politics. She described the religious characteristics of a candidate likely to be successful in a presidential race, not characteristics of denominations and not characteristics of all who announce their candidacy.

So it makes a critical difference. As far as I know, every denomination/religious group identified in your candidate list engages in preaching and teaching. As far as I know, all of the Christian ones will makes regular references to Jesus, will pray in Jesus' name and will talk about Christian doctrine (as they understand it) on a regular basis.

But individual members of those groups may not do these things, at least not publically. That's why the characteristics of candidates listed by LC can't be assumed to be characteristics of the religious groups to which those candidates belong.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is very odd. How can any phrase used to mean 'normal' non-whacky, trinitarian denominations not include the RCC and the Southern Baptists? True, it's not my country, but aren't both those ecclesial communities quite large in the USA?

Also, if the whole of the US Episcopalian Church meets Crœsos's blandness tick-list, I'm not sure that the CofE would be in communion with it. I doubt either, that the CofS would want to have links with a Presbyterian church if it really met the Crœsos test.

There are plenty of people in the CofE who would pass the Crœsos test, but we don't all.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
This is very odd. How can any phrase used to mean 'normal' non-whacky, trinitarian denominations not include the RCC and the Southern Baptists? True, it's not my country, but aren't both those ecclesial communities quite large in the USA?.

The term "mainline" is often misused and often used interchangeably with the even vaguer term "mainstream." What would be considered "mainstream" (or "normal") Christianity would vary greatly depending on one's own pov and the geographical region one is in. In the American South, Southern Baptist would be about as "mainstream" as it gets. In the midwestern Bible belt, it might be Southern Baptist, it might be Reformed or Lutheran, but probably not Catholic. Here in California what's considered "mainstream" would break down even further, depending on whether you're in L.A county, Orange County, northern Calif, or the San Joaquin Valley. And of course, in Utah Mormon is mainstream, but not so almost anywhere else. Again, it's a vague term with a lot of variation in usage.

[ 04. June 2015, 18:44: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This is very odd. How can any phrase used to mean 'normal' non-whacky, trinitarian denominations not include the RCC and the Southern Baptists? True, it's not my country, but aren't both those ecclesial communities quite large in the USA?

Also, if the whole of the US Episcopalian Church meets Crœsos's blandness tick-list, I'm not sure that the CofE would be in communion with it. I doubt either, that the CofS would want to have links with a Presbyterian church if it really met the Crœsos test.

There are plenty of people in the CofE who would pass the Crœsos test, but we don't all.

The RCC and the SBC are both mainstream but not mainline. Mainline and mainstream aren't synonyms. The "Mainline" in "Mainline Protestant" refers to the Philadelphia Mainline. The Philadelphia Mainline does not represent mainstream America. The average American wishes that we could be so lucky.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Also, if the whole of the US Episcopalian Church meets Crœsos's blandness tick-list, I'm not sure that the CofE would be in communion with it.

I can't take full credit for the tick list. All the items were originally proposed by Lamb Chopped, as well as their applicability to American presidential politics.

What's interesting is that despite a good deal of diversity among everyday adherents the denominational rule-of-thumb LC/Crœsos system seems to sort 2016 presidential candidates pretty accurately by religious blandness (with the previously noted possible exception of Carly Fiorina who ended up on the "non-bland" side.)

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Republican Ticket: Rubio/Kasich

You saw it here first!

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We should have a pool.

--------------------

irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You saw it here first!

How do you figure that?

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
quote:

You saw it here first!

How do you figure that?
That would be awesome...for the Democrats. Rubio is very unpopular with Hispanic/Latinos and since approximately 50,000 Hispanic/ Latinos turn 18 and become eligible to vote each month, in states with large numbers of electoral college votes, that doesn't bode well.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Rubio is a well funded candidate acceptable to all factions of the Republican Party. Kasich has the experience in congress and as a two term governor that Rubio lacks. To win the White House, the Republicans need to win Ohio and Florida. Rubio will carry Florida. Kasich just won re-election in Ohio by a landslide.

--------------------

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to Quinnipiac University's latest poll of Florida voters:

Clinton at 46 percent to Rubio's 44 percent

Bush at 45 percent to Clinton's 42 percent

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Bush likely won't win the primary. Polls are within the margin of error and a year and a half before the election. Besides, I'm not predicting Rubio can win the election just that he will be the nominee.

--------------------

irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Being well funded certainly is a healthy indicator at this stage (which is a sad statement on our system), but as the stragglers start falling off the big question for the remaining candidates will be "who can defeat Hillary?"

Rubio might be the best bet, but as has been stated, his unpopularity with Hispanic voters might sour his image as a suitable candidate for the showdown with Clinton.

It's hard to tell right now, but if last time is any indication then look for the guy consistently placing second in all the polling. [Roll Eyes]

Also, if Republicans do manage to shaft Obamacare recipients via the upcoming supreme court decision, then look for the more moderate GOP candidates to surge in popularity, especially in red states where the court decision is going to be felt most.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Republican primary voters want to see Obama care eliminated.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Voldemort is polling better.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Voldemort is polling better.

To be fair, Voldemort has a longer track record than most of the GOP field.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every GOP candidate has a longer track record than did Obama at the time he ran.

I suppose I'd prefer Kasich or former NM governor Gary Johnson (but he's running as libertarian, not GOP). However, it often seems the US is pretty much SOL no matter what. Our primary is about seven or eight months away so there's no reason to think much about it now.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:

Also, if Republicans do manage to shaft Obamacare recipients via the upcoming supreme court decision, then look for the more moderate GOP candidates to surge in popularity, especially in red states where the court decision is going to be felt most.

That's true in the red states that have managed to block much of the implementation of Obamacare (refusing to set up their own state exchanges, not taking advantage of the federal $$ to expand Medicare). Conservatives in those states do continue to loathe/fear Obamacare precisely because they have no real experience of it-- they only know the boogieman that GOP has painted it to be and the scapegoat the insurers have made of it ("we're raising your rates-- but it's not our fault, really! It's not that we're greedy shameless pigs, it's because Obamacare made me!").

Voters in states that have fully implemented Obamacare have already begun to see the benefits. Most people either have benefited themselves or know someone who has. It's imperfect (we need to get to single payer to deal with the real problems) but is making enough of a difference to begin to be quite popular where it has had a chance to actually be tried. The GOP should be concerned about the electoral math there if they do in fact manage to scuttle the program.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Here is the thing. The potential Supreme Court ruling only affects 6 million people in the 37 red states. 6 million seems like a large number but it is stretched out over 37 states. How many of those 6 million people were ever going to vote Republican in the first place? Of the ones who were going to vote Republican, how many of them only purchased insurance to avoid the fines? Of those who were potential Republican voters who like Obamacare, how many of them are voting strictly on that issue? How many of them will vote in the primary? The backlash against candidates who oppose Obamacare in the Republican primary will be negligible. What there is will be more than offset by Republican voters delighted with Supreme Court decision.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
Every GOP candidate has a longer track record than did Obama at the time he ran.

Not true. By my estimate Obama had a longer track record (time spent in elected office at a state or federal level) than Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, Jeb Bush, Donald Trump, and Bobby Jindal. That's seven of the thirteen Republican candidates who have either officially announced their candidacy or scheduled announcements.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If he could point at a long list of promises that were kept instead of broken, it would have more support.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Here is the thing. The potential Supreme Court ruling only affects 6 million people in the 37 red states. 6 million seems like a large number but it is stretched out over 37 states. How many of those 6 million people were ever going to vote Republican in the first place? Of the ones who were going to vote Republican, how many of them only purchased insurance to avoid the fines? Of those who were potential Republican voters who like Obamacare, how many of them are voting strictly on that issue? How many of them will vote in the primary? The backlash against candidates who oppose Obamacare in the Republican primary will be negligible. What there is will be more than offset by Republican voters delighted with Supreme Court decision.

I thought we were talking about the general.

If we're talking about the primary-- that's where we're going to see the same problem the Republicans have had the last two presidential races. The party itself is far far far to the right of the country as a whole. That works well for the GOP in Congressional races, where gerrymandering has allowed them to carve out niche districts of voters who would vote Republican even if the candidate had burned down an orphanage on Xmas Eve. But when it comes to a presidential race it works against them, and Obamacare is just one example. GOP candidates have to swing far to the right to get the nomination-- which will include pandering to the anti-Obamacare crowds. But when the general election comes around, those hard-line words are going to come back to bite them in the bum, as all those millions of Americans who have had their health and their finances improved by ACA aren't going to take their attacks lightly (especially if they manage to bring it down altogether-- doubtful at this point). Same with gay marriage, immigration and a host of other wedge issues where the GOP is out of step with the country as a whole.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:

Not true. By my estimate Obama had a longer track record (time spent in elected office at a state or federal level) than Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, Jeb Bush, Donald Trump, and Bobby Jindal. That's seven of the thirteen Republican candidates who have either officially announced their candidacy or scheduled announcements.
Ok. There's so many running I overlooked some but then, Obama's executive experience was still basically nil. I doubt I'll vote for a senator in the primaries. I don't even know which party's primary I will be voting in or if I will either bother. We're pretty much screwed beyond repair, istm.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016