homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 67)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
It has been my experience that racists never think of themselves as racist.

"I'm not a racist, but..."
(followed by an extremely racist comment).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
There is a reason, I just know it, why Trump is so very reluctant to release his tax returns. I hope he will be pressured into doing so before the election, because I am certain there are some nasty skeletons in them.

I heard someone say the reason he doesn't want to release them is that he hardly made any money (like, in the neighborhood of half a million) and is embarrassed by that.
Oh sure. And since it is his entire stock in trade as far as bragging rights, it would be a devastating blow, I agree. But I still want to see them. He's not running for president for his own comfort, after all. (Inevitable analogies to tiny hands omitted here.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
.... Either you've decided she's a lying, ambitious, immoral scumbag or you've decided she's a strong woman overcoming ridiculous sexism. ....

Or both.

But flawed as she is, she's not the one contemplating defaulting on T-bills or encouraging a nuclear war between Japan and North Korea or answering a question about Brexit with "Huh?"

Dinky Donald's tax returns would also show how much / little CASH he personally gives to charity, as opposed to e.g. sponsorships or gifts in kind from his businesses. If he were really worth billions of dollars, would he be running small-time cons like Trump U or relabeling meat and water with his name?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Hillary has to go to jail". "Crooked Hillary".

This looks as though it will be the ongoing 'strategy'. Apart from its general nastiness and departure from any kind of even rudimentary civility, doesn't it say something about Trump's attitude to separation of powers? As did the attack on the judge.

There is this thing called due process. There is an ongoing investigation. The GOP has always been hot on the constitution. The incoming President will swear to preserve, protect and defend it. Instead the GOP candidate seems to be hell bent on suborning it.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
The GOP has always been hot on the constitution.

Lip service.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sod me mousethief! You can be FORCED to have a C-section in America?! An un-sectioned ... no wordplay intended ... person? I hope to God that none of those travesties could happen in the UK. Although some probably could in Ireland.

Am I to infer that any of these ... miscarriages of justice are due to the Christian right affecting legislation? Or is something else going on? The Washington DC case could be purely secular for one surely? And not a Republican-Democratic party issue either?

The Guttmacher Institute report is most disturbing.

What the Hell is going on? It really would appear that unchristian Christianity is driving this as it is gun toting, war mongering, Trump and everything he stands for and God knows what else in The Dead Zone in America.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Sod me mousethief!

No thanks, but thanks for the offer.

quote:
You can be FORCED to have a C-section in America?!
Not sure where I said that.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Read the link you provided.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In this link.

Whoops sorry, x-post.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I live in a state where they have mandated unmedically-called for trabs-vaginal probes. Just for fun, you know. In the service of anti-abortion legislation and the worship of the fetus (the moment you're born you're off the pedestal and on your own, of course) enormously dangerous legislation has been passed.

Young people are repelled by this kind of ramming religion through with legislation. We're losing this generation for Christ, and we may never get them back.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Martin wrote:

quote:
You can be FORCED to have a C-section in America?! An un-sectioned ... no wordplay intended ... person? I hope to God that none of those travesties could happen in the UK.
Well, according to Maria Stopes UK, abortion is illegal in England up to 24 weeks, except in cases of fetal abnormalities.

So, theoreticially anyway, if a woman more than 24-weeks pregnant tried to procure an abortion, either she, the doctor, or both would be arrested. IOW, a woman can be forced to give birth, yes.

And in a case where it has been deternmined that a caesarean is the safest way for the woman to give birth, I assume it would be a caesarean that she would be compelled to have.

Whether this could actually happen, or if the UK authorities just turn a blind-eye to late term procedures unrelated to fetal abnormalities, I don't know.

[ 12. June 2016, 16:37: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, my opening paragraph there should have read...

quote:
Well, according to Maria Stopes UK, abortion is illegal in England after 24 weeks, except in cases of fetal abnormalities.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to change the subject, I'm waiting in sickened anticipation to see if Trump makes a statement about the Pulse massacre.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
I'm waiting in sickened anticipation to see if Trump makes a statement about the Pulse massacre
Well, he has already made one, that I saw on Slate or somewhere. It was pretty generic, along the lines of "This is very tragic", and not much else. I'm assuming he'll say more in due course.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here is a roundup of various official responses. Trump does mention that people are congratulating him for being right about those awful Muslims.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's about what I'd expect as a first reaction, but I was sort of more thinking of a detailed statement. We'll see what he has to say, if anything.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Martin wrote:

quote:
You can be FORCED to have a C-section in America?! An un-sectioned ... no wordplay intended ... person? I hope to God that none of those travesties could happen in the UK.
Well, according to Maria Stopes UK, abortion is illegal in England up to 24 weeks, except in cases of fetal abnormalities.

So, theoreticially anyway, if a woman more than 24-weeks pregnant tried to procure an abortion, either she, the doctor, or both would be arrested. IOW, a woman can be forced to give birth, yes.

And in a case where it has been deternmined that a caesarean is the safest way for the woman to give birth, I assume it would be a caesarean that she would be compelled to have.

Whether this could actually happen, or if the UK authorities just turn a blind-eye to late term procedures unrelated to fetal abnormalities, I don't know.

There was a recent, very tragic, case where a c-section was mandated for a woman being detained under the mental health act - who was judged to lack capacity due to severe mental illness. It is extremely rare though.

I think that a c-section can only be mandated only if the woman lacks capacity - it is specifically stated in legislation that you can not decide someone lacks capacity simply because they wish to make an unwise decision.

[ 12. June 2016, 18:16: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Link: http://www.birthrights.org.uk/2014/01/another-court-ordered-cesarean-case/

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

So, are the cases mousethief supplied allied to the rare UK example? How many weeks pregnant were the American cases? Of the 6 examples, most were obviously viable. 400 such cases in over 10 years roughly. Out of, what, 8 million abortions? 0.005%

Nasty cases, toward the extreme end of pregnancy, well in to viability.

Messy. But not quite as draconian as implied perhaps? Although I certainly wouldn't criminalize ANY of the women involved for anything.

I can imagine enforced C-sections for mentally compromised women and children being a least worst option.

It would seem that this is NOT an American problem per se. Although the vile legislation in South Dakota is and the abuses in many other states.

--------------------
Love wins

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

We'd better take the abortion-related aspects of this tangential discussion to Dead Horses.

B62, Purg and DH Host

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Just to change the subject, I'm waiting in sickened anticipation to see if Trump makes a statement about the Pulse massacre.

According to the New York Times (sorry it's behind a paywall if you read too many articles), Trump is, of course, blaming Obama:
quote:
In his remarks today, President Obama disgracefully refused to even say the words ‘Radical Islam.’ For that reason alone, he should step down. If Hillary Clinton, after this attack, still cannot say the two words ‘Radical Islam’ she should get out of this race for the Presidency.

[ 12. June 2016, 21:39: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

[Projectile]

I knew I shouldn't have tried reading Trump's statement.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I live in a state where they have mandated unmedically-called for trabs-vaginal probes. Just for fun, you know. In the service of anti-abortion legislation and the worship of the fetus (the moment you're born you're off the pedestal and on your own, of course) enormously dangerous legislation has been passed.

Young people are repelled by this kind of ramming religion through with legislation. We're losing this generation for Christ, and we may never get them back.

Whether our grandkids can successfully evangelize their grandkids will depend entirely on how well the church as a whole cleans up its act between now and then.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I attended a church today where the priest pretty much said in his sermon (not using these exact words, of course) that Congress had no business passing laws that were contrary to the teachings of the Catholic Church.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Meanwhile, Hillary gives us another reason to wonder if we really can support her after all.

This reveals the worst of the Clinton method, I hope. However, it also shows that when people speak up in the US, this sort of thing is stomped on.

I'm going to try and give it a week before talking about the Orlando Massacre.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
I attended a church today where the priest pretty much said in his sermon (not using these exact words, of course) that Congress had no business passing laws that were contrary to the teachings of the Catholic Church.

That's weird. Perhaps being ignorant and unconstitutional is catching? Even for an old nonconformist like me, there is a massive difference between challenging the substance of specific government legislation (free speech and protest) and challenging the authority of the legislature to make such law as it can get approved via legitimate democratic means.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

To judge from a statement by the gunman's ex-wife, he was unstable, probably bipolar, abusive and capable of flying off the handle at the smallest provocation. There are also statements that he had very recently purchased weapons, quite legitimately.

Some folks will think that President Obama has made political capital out of this. I don't know about that; with the facts out there, his comments seemed to me to hit the spot. Whereas Candidate Trump's tweet struck me as egotistical and disgracefully self-serving.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting article in HuffPost's Queer Voices section: "Hillary Clinton Is the Queerest Presidential Candidate Ever". Basically about how pro LGBTQ she is.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

To judge from a statement by the gunman's ex-wife, he was unstable, probably bipolar, abusive and capable of flying off the handle at the smallest provocation. There are also statements that he had very recently purchased weapons, quite legitimately.

Some folks will think that President Obama has made political capital out of this. I don't know about that; with the facts out there, his comments seemed to me to hit the spot. Whereas Candidate Trump's tweet struck me as egotistical and disgracefully self-serving.

Yeah, I regretted posting that: see sig.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Calling Trump out on his vicious opportunism. We must remember however that his supporters surely do not read The New Yorker.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
According to the New York Times (sorry it's behind a paywall if you read too many articles), Trump is, of course, blaming Obama:
quote:
In his remarks today, President Obama disgracefully refused to even say the words ‘Radical Islam.’ For that reason alone, he should step down. If Hillary Clinton, after this attack, still cannot say the two words ‘Radical Islam’ she should get out of this race for the Presidency.

For some reason this has become a really big thing with a certain segment of Republicans, the idea that using the words "Radical Islam" is some kind of magic spell that will solve all problems. Kind of like "Rumpelstiltskin" for the modern age.

[ 13. June 2016, 16:20: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
For some reason this has become a really big thing with a certain segment of Republicans, the idea that using the words "Radical Islam" is some kind of magic spell that will solve all problems. Kind of like "Rumpelstiltskin" for the modern age.

It kind of is magic. Specifically an illusion or distraction. If they can get their audience to focus on that, they can continue doing the things which fuel extremism.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And it's a perpetual bait-and-switch. You can never win. If you go along with them and say 'Rumpelstiltskin' then they'll think of a new in-word which you are not using and that therefore reveals that you are a secret Muslim/Socialist/spawned by the devil/born in Kenya etc. Women see this all the time; whatever you are wearing or doing, you clearly incited that rude comment/grope/assault. It is always your fault.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We must remember however that his supporters surely do not read The New Yorker.

I don't think they read anything, except perhaps the National Enquirer.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

That is a mischaracterisation. They read more than that, Fox "News" has a website which contains words.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Blistering callout of Trump's folly.

And, a more unusual call for God's judgment to descent upon the sinners. For those who do not want to venture behind the paywall, a Democratic congressman refuses to participate in any more Minutes of Silence. He says that God is not going to let Congress off the hook, for failing to regulate assault rifles after all these incidents. I can tell you now that he is a voice crying in the wilderness (the NRA has so many congressmen on a leash they have a dog-walking service) but it does show that they're not all craven.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

The N.E. is pitched far above the heads of your average Republican trencher.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

The biggest magic the phrase elicits is causing the listeners to stare intently at the brown guy/ headscarf/ person-with-foreign-sounding-name/ guy doing math-- and therefore not notice that they're quietly robbing whatever's left of the middle/ working class blind.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
for those who do not want to venture behind the paywall, a Democratic congressman refuses to participate in any more Minutes of Silence. He says that God is not going to let Congress off the hook, for failing to regulate assault rifles after all these incidents. I can tell you now that he is a voice crying in the wilderness (the NRA has so many congressmen on a leash they have a dog-walking service) but it does show that they're not all craven.

He's from the Connecticut district next to Newtown, where the grade school shooting happened several years ago. He was already working on gun control. Now, he's just had enough.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A cartoon by Pope in the Canberra Times this morning shows Trump building a wall facing Mexico, while behind him flags are at half mast in Orlando.

Says a Mexican woman facing Trump across his half-built wall: " If you can guarantee [this wall] will keep in the home-grown homophobic gun-toting bigots, we might even pay for it."

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Interesting article in HuffPost's Queer Voices section: "Hillary Clinton Is the Queerest Presidential Candidate Ever". Basically about how pro LGBTQ she is.

And this article explains her theory that Don't Ask Don't Tell and the Defense of Marriage Act were defensive actions. With friends like that, who needs enemies?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Palimpsest-
I skimmed the article. My understanding at the time was that "Don't ask/don't tell" was a compromise, and the best that could be done at that time. I don't think I felt that way about DOMA. But if, as Hillary said in the article, they were afraid something worse would be passed, it might have been a compromise, too. FWIW.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Palimpsest-
I skimmed the article. My understanding at the time was that "Don't ask/don't tell" was a compromise, and the best that could be done at that time. I don't think I felt that way about DOMA. But if, as Hillary said in the article, they were afraid something worse would be passed, it might have been a compromise, too. FWIW.

DADT represented an improvement (though a somewhat half-assed one) over the prior policy towards homosexuals in the American armed services. DOMA was supposedly an effort to take the metaphorical wind out of the equally metaphorical sails of the effort to pass a Federal Marriage Amendment, though in my estimation a premature one. (The first state to allow same-sex marriage was Massachusetts, seven years after DOMA became law.) As a practical matter, DOMA had enough votes to over-ride a presidential veto so it wasn't a choice between DOMA or no DOMA, but whether President Bill Clinton wanted to antagonize Congress for no practical gain. It should be noted that the 2012 Republican party platform (the most recent to date, though that will change next month) still advocated for amending the federal constitution to ban same-sex marriage.

At any rate, the main problem with this kind of analysis is that it rests on the dubious assumption that President Hillary Clinton would govern the same way in today's political context that her husband governed in 1990s. I suppose it's possible, but I'd prefer to see the case made rather than simply assuming it.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hosting/

I think presidential policy on LGBTQ issues is tangential to this thread, and further discussion of this specific aspect probably belongs in Dead Horses.

Thank you for your cooperation.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Alternative LGBTQ Election Thread created.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I'm on my monthly limit of free Washington Post accesses, so I found this.

But, (and there are parallels with the Brexit campaigns in the UK), for a significant number of US citizens, reason seems to get overpowered by rhetoric over this tragic event - as over many others during the past few months. Madness is in the air.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

President Obama took a few minutes today to comment on the aforementioned "radical Islam" trope:

quote:
And let me make a final point. For a while now, the main contribution of some of my friends on the other side of the aisle have made in the fight against ISIL* is to criticize the administration and me for not using the phrase “radical Islam.” That’s the key, they tell us. We cannot beat ISIL* unless we call them radical Islamists.

What exactly would using this label would accomplish? What exactly would it change? Would it make ISIL less committed to try to kill Americans? Would it bring in more allies? Is there a military strategy that is served by this?

The answer is none of the above. Calling a threat by a different name does not make it go away. This is a political distraction.

<snip>

There has not been a moment in my 7.5 years as president where we have not able to pursue a strategy because we didn’t use the label “radical Islam.” Not once has an adviser of mine said, “Man, if we use that phrase, we are going to turn this whole thing around,” not once.

*I'm pretty sure that Obama is trolling Trump by saying ISIL repeatedly here.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The elevation of this particular trope seems almost totally incomprehensible (to this foreigner). Clearly there must be submerged nuances that have entirely passed me by.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Not all that nuanced and not all that submerged.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You mean by broadening it beyond IS/Daesh? Yes, I get that.

But ISIL isn't correct either.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016