homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 68)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The President's speech does highlight the inconvenient truth that the presumptuous Republican candidate excels in childish name-calling (see, e.g., "Crooked Hillary," "Pocahontas" etc.). There is a distinct possibility that he really does think that he can defeat terrorism if he simply can find the right zinger label to put on them.

And, as the President correctly points out, that's dangerously naïve.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:

But ISIL isn't correct either.

Opinions differ on that!

quote:
When talking about the group - which has also spawned affiliates elsewhere in the Middle East, Africa and Asia - UN and US officials generally use the acronym "Isil", the acronym of "Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant"
Source.

Actually, I think the variations reinforce one of Obama's points. Trump's going on about labels is just silly.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Opinions differ on that!

I know! But that was then, and they don't call themselves that any more. Their claim is more grandiose now.

But yes - an argument over terminology is in danger of looking like an argument for its own sake.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brighten up your day with some straight denigratory comedy. Do not neglect the captions.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
very good Brenda. [Razz]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scott Lemieux does some analysis on potential running mates for Hillary Clinton. He points out the obvious downside of picking someone like Elizabeth Warren or Sherrod Brown, which is that the Republican governors of their respective states would choose their replacement in the U.S. Senate.

Lemieux's pick is someone who doesn't appear on most pundit's short list:

quote:
Which brings me to the candidate I think deserves the strongest consideration: Labor Secretary Thomas Perez. Perez combines some of the best virtues of the other candidates, and poses none of the downside risks. Like Castro, Perez — the son of Dominican immigrants who grew up in Buffalo — brings a valuable demographic appeal to the ticket. Like Brown, Warren, and Sanders (and unlike Castro) Perez has a strong, progressive, pro-labor track record that should appeal to Sanders voters. And unlike Warren and Brown, his selection would not put a Democratic Senate seat at risk. If Vaughn had included me in his Times poll, I would have named Perez Clinton’s most likely to succeed vice president without hesitation. Let’s just hope he’s interested in the job.

[ 16. June 2016, 15:49: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That last is always a key point. Many people (Colin Powell is one) simply do not want all the tsouris of being in a national campaign.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm...without regard to the effect on Congress, I'd like to see Elizabeth Warren as Veep. (An alternate, somewhat playful pronunciation of "VP".) Bernie Sanders might bring his followers with him. Honestly, I'd really like to see Madeleine Albright; but a) she may be too old to comfortably handle the job; and b) she can't be Veep, because she wasn't born a US citizen and so can't be president.

I think Barney Frank would be fun; and, being gay, he'd probably bring in LGBTQ votes. But I don't know how well he and Hillary would get along.

I think she needs someone who can quietly stand up to her in private--and less privately, in a group meeting, if necessary. And also be supportive.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
At any rate, the main problem with this kind of analysis is that it rests on the dubious assumption that President Hillary Clinton would govern the same way in today's political context that her husband governed in 1990s. I suppose it's possible, but I'd prefer to see the case made rather than simply assuming it.

I assume it when she proudly claims his accomplishments as part of her record. Either she gets credit or doesn't. As for how she'd do things, I assume it's with no commitment to keeping her promises. Maybe you'll get what she promise or maybe it will be another compromise that is not anything you wanted.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The amusing thing about Trump's comments on the Orlando massacre is the he said if they had guns they could fight back. Apparently he thinks more Latino should be armed while he deports them.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:

But ISIL isn't correct either.

Opinions differ on that!

quote:
When talking about the group - which has also spawned affiliates elsewhere in the Middle East, Africa and Asia - UN and US officials generally use the acronym "Isil", the acronym of "Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant"
Source.

Actually, I think the variations reinforce one of Obama's points. Trump's going on about labels is just silly.

Talking of silly labels: I coined SCIS - skiz, so I propose SCISIL - skizzle. So Called.

[ 17. June 2016, 08:18: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
The amusing thing about Trump's comments on the Orlando massacre is the he said if they had guns they could fight back. Apparently he thinks more Latino should be armed while he deports them.

We have different concepts of amusing.

This morning I heard a report that one of the guards at the club was armed... but it was "only" a handgun and so he was "outgunned" by the shooter. That, of course, is the next step after the "everybody should be armed to stop these things from happening" argument--when it fails (as it did here) they will move on to "everybody needs to be armed with the biggest and latest guns to stop these things from happening."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It took eleven armored and heavily armed policemen to take the shooter down. I submit to you that civilians can only be as good as trained law-enforcement professionals in that sort of situation when the movie director, the script writer and the SFX team are on their side. People who say these things have never been in real peril, never served in the armed forces or law enforcement. They have sat in dark movie theaters and chewed popcorn while watching Clint Eastwood.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And let us not forget that the shooting took place at a bar. I always thought that one of the biggest gun safety no-nos was mixing firearms and alcohol.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
And let us not forget that the shooting took place at a bar. I always thought that one of the biggest gun safety no-nos was mixing firearms and alcohol.

Unless you're a good guy with a gun. Then it's okay. Especially in Texas.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

So does this count as "pulling out all the stops" or "complete desperation"?

quote:
After eight years of largely abstaining from politics, former President George W. Bush is throwing himself into an effort to save his party’s most vulnerable senators, including several whose re-election campaigns have been made more difficult by Donald J. Trump’s presence at the top of the ticket.

In the weeks since Mr. Trump emerged as the party’s presumptive presidential nominee, Mr. Bush has headlined fund-raisers for two Republican senators and has made plans to help three more. Among them are Senators John McCain of Arizona, who was one of Mr. Trump’s earliest targets of derision, and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, who has struggled to respond to Mr. Trump’s inflammatory talk.

For those with short memories, when George W. Bush left office he had a net job approval rating (percent approving minus percent disapproving) of -27%. In 2012 he was still considered toxic enough it was considered best he not attend the Republican National Convention. And now apparently downticket Republican candidates seem to think that having their names tied to his will be a net plus to getting re-elected.

[ 17. June 2016, 17:37: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

McCain is not sounding so sane himself these days.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fortunately, Dubya can't be president again. Whew.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Fortunately, Dubya can't be president again. Whew.

He can't be elected president again, but there is a highly unlikely way he could be president again. A president with less than two years to serve in his (or her) term and a vacancy in the vice presidency could appoint Dubya vice president (with the consent of both houses of Congress). If that hypothetical president dies or resigns before the expiration of his or her term, George W. Bush could be the president again.

Admittedly this is movie-script improbable, but it's at least theoretically possible.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

I am SO glad I get to vote against him again! Unless, of course, he loses the Republican primary -- which is looking more and more possible.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Croesos--

I happened to look that up last night, when I heard Dubya was making the rounds.

Wikipedia's "Twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution":

quote:
Interaction with the Twelfth Amendment

There is a point of contention regarding the interpretation of the Twenty-second Amendment as it relates to the Twelfth Amendment, ratified in 1804, which provides that "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice President of the United States."

While it is clear that under the Twelfth Amendment the original constitutional qualifications of age, citizenship, and residency apply to both the President and Vice President, it is unclear whether a two-term president could later serve as Vice President. Some argue that the Twenty-second Amendment and Twelfth Amendment bar any two-term president from later serving as Vice President as well as from succeeding to the presidency from any point in the United States presidential line of succession.[17] Others contend that the Twelfth Amendment concerns qualification for service, while the Twenty-second Amendment concerns qualifications for election, and thus a former two-term president is still eligible to serve as vice president.[18][19] The practical applicability of this distinction has not been tested, as no former president has ever sought the vice presidency. During Hillary Clinton's 2016 candidacy, she said that she had considered naming Bill Clinton as her Vice President, but had been advised it would be unconstitutional.[20]

The constitution does not restrict the number of terms a person can serve as Vice President.[21]

It would be a very faint possibility, entangled with lots of wrangling. But yeah, it would make a good movie.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

I am SO glad I get to vote against him again! Unless, of course, he loses the Republican primary -- which is looking more and more possible.
Is there a joke that I'm missing here? McCain isn't in the Republican primary this year.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just out of curiosity, should Hillary make Bill her veep, and die in office, would Bill become president? I mean, would he constitutionally be able to, or would the presidency have to pass to the Speaker?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Speaker, I think.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Is there a joke that I'm missing here? McCain isn't in the Republican primary this year.
Sorry for the confusion. He's running for re-election to the U. S. Senate, but it looks like he has some viable competition in his own party this year as well as from the Democrats. I'm hoping he'll be riding off into the sunset in January.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah I so miss the old McCain-- witty, self-deprecating, reasonable. His brief foray 7 years ago into Rove style electioneering (which he had no stomach for) turned him into a bitter grumpy old man screaming at the world to get off his lawn

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Just out of curiosity, should Hillary make Bill her veep, and die in office, would Bill become president? I mean, would he constitutionally be able to, or would the presidency have to pass to the Speaker?

That's a big "it depends". Bill Clinton would not be eligible to run for vice president since he would be Constitutionally unable to exercise its chief function, namely taking over if the president dies, resigns, or becomes incapacitated. Being president isn't just about exercising the powers of the presidency, it's about exercising the powers of the presidency until the next inauguration date. (Please take note, Senate Judiciary Committee!) As GK noted, the Twenty-Second Amendment allows someone to be president for two full terms plus the remainder of someone else's term provided there's less than two years left in it. Hence my Constitutional sleight-of-hand using the Twenty-Fifth Amendment to slip in a vice president when a president has less than two years left in her term, something that was not possible when the Twenty-Second Amendment was ratified and was thus not considered by its authors.

If Hillary Clinton's vice president (assuming she wins in November) were to die or resign sometime after January 20, 2019 I see no Constitutional reason Bill Clinton could not be picked to fill that vacancy since he is arguably still eligible under the terms of the Twenty-Second Amendment to serve less than two years of a presidential term to which someone else was elected, but Bill Clinton would be ineligible to become vice president through the electoral process.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Obama would be another intriguing possibility in the same scenario, although the smart money has him as the next SCOTUS appointment.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Obama said he doesn't want to be a Supreme.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Hillary is not such a fool as to court controversy by picking Bill for anything. (Somewhere around is the link for speculation about Trump picking his son Eric for VP.)
I look forward to Bill Clinton doing the White House China, helping to set policy on the Christmas Tree, wearing really spiff tuxedoes at formal functions, and in general fulfilling all those First Gent roles.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

The other Constitutional requirement that might cause some difficulty is that the president and vice president cannot be from the same state. That might be a bit difficult to work in the case of a married couple.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only a damn fool picks a family member as VP. In the event of presidential death or incapacity, such a person would normally be emotionally incapacitated as well. of course they could be estranged-- which would make the day to day working relationship an interesting one.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember in West Wing there was some tension between the President and his VP.

--------------------
Human

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
I remember in West Wing there was some tension between the President and his VP.

It's not unusual for a president to choose a VP he doesn't really like for politically expedient reasons. Such VPs are usually relegated to attending state funerals.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

He was a pretty VP, if I remember correctly [Smile]

--------------------
Human

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
/West Wing Tangent/

Tim Matheson played Bartlet's first VP John Hoynes and was so good in the role that he received 2 Emmy nominations.

/end tangent/

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And now the co-pastor, Beni Johnson, of Bonkers Bethel Church in Redding California is supporting Trump! What is likelihood that more evangelicals (although I realise that Johnson will be at the fringe of what many Shippies will consider to be 'evangelical') will do the same?

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
And now the co-pastor, Beni Johnson, of Bonkers Bethel Church in Redding California is supporting Trump! What is likelihood that more evangelicals (although I realise that Johnson will be at the fringe of what many Shippies will consider to be 'evangelical') will do the same?

K.

Well, we've already had some pretty prominent evangelical leaders endorse Trump, and some pretty prominent evangelical leaders firmly and emphatically explain why it's ridiculous for an evangelical to vote for the man. So I expect the response among my evangelical community to continue to be mixed.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

So Donald Trump has "parted ways" with campaign manager Corey Lewandowski (if you're the New York Times), or "removed" Lewandowski (per Bloomberg), or possibly "fired" Lewandowski (ABC). It's not unknown to switch campaign managers when transitioning from the primary to the general election, though if Trump were going to make that switch the ideal time would have been a couple weeks ago. Or maybe a few months ago when getting rid of a campaign manager who assaults reporters would have won some favor with the press.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

It's not unusual for a president to choose a VP he doesn't really like for politically expedient reasons. Such VPs are usually relegated to attending state funerals.
Actually, it seems a rather recent trend for a nominee to choose a like-minded running mate. Clinton and Gore come to mind. As you say, they often only chose someone who could fill a gap in their polls and who was often a very different personality. Ike and Tricky Dick? FDR and Truman?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile, nine of Arizona's fifty-eight delegates to the Republican convention have resigned, two of them stating that they'd rather resign than be forced to vote for Trump.

Finally Arizona has done something right!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:

K.

Just like an opinion on twitter, you can always find some of my fellow evangelical types that will be contrary because that's what they believe.

Has anybody bothered to check with local lay leadership at some of the more moderate churches? Or the Orthodox? RC? I'm sure you could find Trump supporters in a lot of unexpected places, except maybe the Mormons but even there I think things will not be so unanimous.

This reminds me sooo much of Rob Ford when nobody thought anybody with a brain would vote for him and low and behold, some did (to their chagrin).

The assumption that everybody around us thinks like us is usually false.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

Actually, it seems a rather recent trend for a nominee to choose a like-minded running mate. Clinton and Gore come to mind. As you say, they often only chose someone who could fill a gap in their polls and who was often a very different personality. Ike and Tricky Dick? FDR and Truman?
A like with like combination: Nixon and Agnew, 2 crooks together.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Meanwhile, nine of Arizona's fifty-eight delegates to the Republican convention have resigned, two of them stating that they'd rather resign than be forced to vote for Trump.

Finally Arizona has done something right!

Seems to me it would have been better if they didn't resign and then act as a "faithless" delegate and vote for someone else.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could there be legal consequences for a "faithless" delegate?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A British 19-year-old has been arrested for grabbing a police officer's gun, apparently intending to kill Donald Trump with it.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

My computer is telling me that there is a church in California called the Bonkers Bethel Church. I recently removed a Chrome extension that changed various words to do with the Australian election. It changed the name of our Prime Minister to "Richy McRichface" and "election" to "Pie-eating competition", among many others.

I disabled the extension because of situations like the one I now face. I do not know whether there is a church called Bonkers Bethel Church because even though the extension is disabled, the essential element of trust in the relationship between myself and my computer is missing.

While a google search has come up with Bethel Church, no Bonkers Bethel Church was located. Can people who know therefore confirm to me that there is a church called Bonkers Bethel Church via telephone or letter. I'd quite like such a church to exist, as it probably means that somewhere in the United States is a town called Bonkers.

--------------------
Human

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
My computer is telling me that there is a church in California called the Bonkers Bethel Church. I recently removed a Chrome extension that changed various words to do with the Australian election. It changed the name of our Prime Minister to "Richy McRichface" and "election" to "Pie-eating competition", among many others.

...While a google search has come up with Bethel Church, no Bonkers Bethel Church was located. Can people who know therefore confirm to me that there is a church called Bonkers Bethel Church via telephone or letter. I'd quite like such a church to exist, as it probably means that somewhere in the United States is a town called Bonkers.

Yes, it seems the pastor in question is pastor of a church near where I live called Bethel Church. I imagine some pranksters started calling it "Bonkers Bethel Church" for obvious reasons and the moniker stuck. But it's not the official name of the church. I'd probably like it a lot better if it was.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Komensky

I think the Beni Johnson support story is pretty old news. The criticisms go back over three months and she took down the Facebook entry following criticism. It was a pretty unwise entry.

I can't find any comments from Beni's husband and Bethel lead pastor Bill. I suppose he may think Beni was "bonkers" to do that but if so he's not likely to say so in public.

I've got a lot of misgivings about Bethel and the story, old or not, certainly adds weight to the "bonkers" reputation.

[ 21. June 2016, 05:51: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
A British 19-year-old has been arrested for grabbing a police officer's gun, apparently intending to kill Donald Trump with it.

Gah, what a total idiot. Presumably Trump is now planning to stop British people from visiting the USA?

In a way, this just seems to illustrate the cycle of violence - it would be a massive irony if a second amendment Republican was assassinated..

--------------------
arse

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016