homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 75)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Essentially if you are a group -- let us say, teal Americans -- and you set up a loud enough yell, they'll add you to the check-off lists, which have tripled in my lifetime and will probably triple again before the end of the century. They already let you check off as many as you like to describe yourself, so you could check off teal, black, non-white-Hispanic, and it would be cool. The check-offs exist for research and statistical purposes. If X percent check off 'black' then you can assume that there are at least that many people who think of themselves as black.

The check-off things are entirely different from perception on the street -- police stops, walking on sidewalks, getting a taxi.

An interesting case is Barack Obama, the son of an African (not African-American) man (famously Kenyan), and a white woman. All white people agree he is black, which sort of mystifies me because he must be 50-50. (But what do I know, I only know how Mendelian inheritance works. Perhaps it would've made a difference if his pushy white mom were alive to stand behind him in every photo.) Most black people do, too -- but not quite all. Because his black fraction is not African-American, it is argued he does not tap into the full experience of the black person in America. I think this argument has mostly died on the vine nearly 8 years into the man's presidency.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
An interesting case is Barack Obama, the son of an African (not African-American) man (famously Kenyan), and a white woman. All white people agree he is black, which sort of mystifies me because he must be 50-50.

This is consistent with the one-drop rule used for most of American history.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most Americans consider anyone who looks substantially different from the average caucasian person to be a person of color--though the average American wouldn't use that term. So people who are half Latino or half African or half Asian would all be seen as non-white unless they really do "look" white. And of course if everyone else perceives you as x, odds are higher you'll perceive yourself as that.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My children are half Asian. They look vaguely exotic, but it's hard to identify and they mostly pass as white. My sister also married a white man, and her daughters are all over the map. One of them is usually assumed to be Hispanic.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

An interesting case is Barack Obama, the son of an African (not African-American) man (famously Kenyan), and a white woman.

Americans don't care. Any black is the same.

quote:

All white people agree he is black, which sort of mystifies me because he must be 50-50. (But what do I know, I only know how Mendelian inheritance works. Perhaps it would've made a difference if his pushy white mom were alive to stand behind him in every photo.)

Nope. Take a look at this link. Twins, but the girl on the left is white anywhere she goes. If her parentage is revealed, there are some who will treat her different, but despite having the same parents, here experience will not be the same as her sister's. Especially if they moved to America.
quote:

Most black people do, too -- but not quite all. Because his black fraction is not African-American, it is argued he does not tap into the full experience of the black person in America. I think this argument has mostly died on the vine nearly 8 years into the man's presidency.

There is also the problem of the lighter the skin, the better the treatment. From black people as well as white. This is changing, but the legacy is still there.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Most Americans consider anyone who looks substantially different from the average caucasian person to be a person of color--though the average American wouldn't use that term

Fwiw, in my experience "person of color" ( but not "colored person") is the term most frequently used in my part of US

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Most Americans consider anyone who looks substantially different from the average caucasian person to be a person of color--though the average American wouldn't use that term

Fwiw, in my experience "person of color" ( but not "colored person") is the term most frequently used in my part of US
Ditto.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hear "black" or whatever most often in casual conversation. "Person of color" is more of a term of art that I only hear from people who are explicitly talking about racial discrimination (and only from people who are serious campaigners for racial justice, people who work in HR, and the like. It's not a phrase I hear from "normal people" of any racial background.)

[ 13. July 2016, 23:01: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To be honest I also hear "black" as the usual term, and "person of color" only in more formal usage.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, I hear very few people ever say person of color around here, and the ones who do are way way more racially aware than the average joe.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Same here.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tangent re Brenda's comment about 1/2 and 1/2 ethnicities. My cousins are half Samoan - my aunt married a Samoan man - and have brown skins. My youngest cousin recently became a District Commander of Police (the boss of a large region). All the way through her training and climbing the ladder in the force, it was her Samoan side that got shouted at, discriminated against and generally toughed it out to follow her dream(as if being a woman in the force wasn't already a tough gig).

My aunt got really upset when, in the articles about her daughter's appointment, it said she was Samoan, without any mention of her Palangi (white) heritage. After years of being noticed negatively for being Samoan, my cousin was damn well going to take a lot of pride in making it to the top as a Samoan woman. My aunt just couldn't understand it and I listened to her making a lot of very racist comments about her own daughter with some horror. It kind of proved my cousin's point.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
To be honest I also hear "black" as the usual term, and "person of color" only in more formal usage.

"Person of color" is usually used here to refer to "non-whites" as a group; "black" or "African American" would be used more specifically to refer only to that particular group.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:

"Person of color" is usually used here to refer to "non-whites" as a group; "black" or "African American" would be used more specifically to refer only to that particular group.
That's what I meant to say.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm reading Charles Blow's autobiography in preparation for a US trip, and he talks a bit about lightness of skin and living as a white person: what it can mean for the family during a career and when the career is over and you come back to your family. I think he grew up in the 1960's and '70's. It's a good read, half way through.

It kind of freaks me out that the Govt. asks you to define yourself for reasons not related to entitlement to benefits, or special funding for certain groups of people. It just seems to promote or legitimate unhelpful categorization.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
simontoad--

Oz doesn't ask for that kind of info?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
well, that's what I thought...

I just did a survey for our national broadcaster where they first asked me the ethic or national origin of my ancestors, and I thought "yeah, go ABC that's the way to collect demographic information", but the next question asked me to identify as one of a number of different 'races', and I was like, "Boo ABC, what are you doing that for?"

Unfortunately I'm in that period where my meds are kicking in, so my brain is a bit dooladdy. Otherwise I would have written the question down to dissect it.

I'm going to keep my eye out now on surveys and stuff.

--------------------
Human

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
"Person of color" is usually used here to refer to "non-whites" as a group;

Sure - and maybe that's why I only ever hear it from "racial issues professionals". IME, in normal conversation most people don't need a phrase to mean "not white" - if they're talking about some race-related experience that someone they know has had, it'll be "he's a black guy" or "my friend K - she's Latina too" or whatever specific racial group is relevant to the story.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Compare to France, where they do not keep this kind of data. They say there is no racism in France. But it doesn't mean that there isn't any -- it just means you can't see it.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, collecting data on ethnic origin or religious affiliation is unconstitutional in France, as it is in several other countries.

(The Muslim population in prisons, for instance, may be guessed at by the numbers of people ordering halal meals - although not always accurately, because some inmates choose them under the impression that they are better).

The relationship between the absence of such data and discrimination is unclear, though - although not having any figures probably doesn't help.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

The relationship between the absence of such data and discrimination is unclear, though - although not having any figures probably doesn't help.

As mentioned upthread, like most things, it can have both good & bad consequences. Certainly being constantly asked to identify yourself in a particular "group" contributes to "us"/"them" thinking, and the tendency Twilight described of thinking people as the label first rather than as a person first and foremost.

But definitely there are problems that won't be seen/addressed w/o collecting the data. Unequal policing/ incarceration is one notable example: If we didn't know the race of those involved we wouldn't know that what might seem like a lot of one-off events and/or "he said/she said" disputes. Looking at the startling different stats though in routine traffic stops, incarceration rates, sentencing, etc. though is a clear indicator there IS a systemic problem, even if we might have trouble determining that on an individual basis.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Will it be Pence?

He's a Tea Partier, isn't he?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It sounds likely, but one never knows with Trump.

Pence does not sound like someone I want second-in-line (or anywhere in line for that matter).

[Help]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And in today's installment of Unconvincing Explanations:

quote:
Former vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin isn't included in the official list of speakers for the Republican National Convention next week, and Donald Trump suggested in an interview that her absence is because she lives too far from the venue.

"She was asked," Trump told the Washington Examiner in a phone interview on Thursday. "It's a little bit difficult because of where she is. We love Sarah. Little bit difficult because of, you know, it's a long ways away."

For those keeping track at home Ames, Iowa is apparently not too far, but going that little bit extra to Cleveland, Ohio would be to onerous a journey.

No former Republican president or presidential nominee will be speaking at the Republican National Convention. Nor will any former Republican vice president or vice presidential nominee, with the exception of Paul Ryan who is technically running the Convention and so can't get out of having to say a few words.

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

Pence does not sound like someone I want second-in-line (or anywhere in line for that matter).

[Help]

Wow - I had to check to see if it was a satire piece from something like the Onion.

quote:

“There are boy colors and there are girl colors,” Pence said, “Once we started letting boys wear girl colors, what’s next? I don’t want to think about it.”

The governor’s spokesman was asked who would decide what is or is not a “gay” color.

“The governor knows a ‘gay color’ when he sees it,” Strait said.

[ 14. July 2016, 22:23: Message edited by: W Hyatt ]

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
quote:

[Help]

Wow - I had to check to see if it was a satire piece from something like the Onion.

quote:

“There are boy colors and there are girl colors,” Pence said, “Once we started letting boys wear girl colors, what’s next? I don’t want to think about it.”

The governor’s spokesman was asked who would decide what is or is not a “gay” color.

“The governor knows a ‘gay color’ when he sees it,” Strait said.

It was from the Huffington Post satire page.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First clue should have been that it was in the Entertainment section.
Here is a second clue.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks - it's good for me to know that I have to check even if it's a Huffington link.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Things have gotten so weird that you can't always tell the satire from the reality.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Teal?

Teal???

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I apologize -- I guess I just saw "Huffington Post" -- and I trusted the person who had sent it to me.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Teal?

Teal???

Well, it isn't proper blue or green. It is inbetween [Eek!]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
See, this is what turned me into an advocate. You can either learn to navigate the 6,897,345 ( and counting) ways to avoid the appearance of being gay positive, or you can just give up, be positive, and wear all the magenta- trimmed teal velour loungewear you damn well please.

[ 15. July 2016, 06:00: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
No former Republican president or presidential nominee will be speaking at the Republican National Convention. Nor will any former Republican vice president or vice presidential nominee, with the exception of Paul Ryan who is technically running the Convention and so can't get out of having to say a few words.

Some Republican voters won't care, and a lot of people of various political persuasions won't notice because so little of the conventions is shown on network TV anymore.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

If pink is a "gateway" color, what's a full-on gay color?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
Thanks - it's good for me to know that I have to check even if it's a Huffington link.

IME, they don't always clearly label individual articles at HuffPost. And if you're following a link, you may not notice that it's in the entertainment section. When you go to The Onion and you know that it's a satire/humor site, you expect that. But satire is only a small part of HuffPost, so ISTM it's understandable for it not to be automatically on your mental satire monitor. I got fooled once or twice, too.

OTOH, Yahoo's front page is in such a sorry state, much of the time, that articles are in entirely the wrong section--e.g., serious articles in Entertainment.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

mt--

Lavender, maybe?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Some Republican voters won't care, and a lot of people of various political persuasions won't notice because so little of the conventions is shown on network TV anymore.

IIRC, when I was a kid, both conventions were often on TV most of the day. They'd return to regular programming mid-afternoon, I think--probably so folks could watch their soaps. Then coverage would start up again after the evening news. Fun to watch--especially when the result wasn't a foregone conclusion.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now Trump has apparently tweeted that he still hasn't made the final call and that there are still two or three people in consideration. He also announced that he will not be announcing today, apparently telling Twitter followers before anyone in the campaign.

He could just be screwing with the media after a leak stole his big moment. He could be playing the old reality host game where they will announce who is safe ... right after this commercial! Or maybe he actually has no clue what he's doing.

Having recently not gotten a job offer after being repeatedly welcomed to the organization myself, I'm inclined to tell the Governor to go back to Indi, get back to work, and not hold his breath for an offer.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
And in today's installment of Unconvincing Explanations:

quote:
Former vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin isn't included in the official list of speakers for the Republican National Convention next week, and Donald Trump suggested in an interview that her absence is because she lives too far from the venue.

"She was asked," Trump told the Washington Examiner in a phone interview on Thursday. "It's a little bit difficult because of where she is. We love Sarah. Little bit difficult because of, you know, it's a long ways away."

For those keeping track at home Ames, Iowa is apparently not too far, but going that little bit extra to Cleveland, Ohio would be to onerous a journey.

That is absolutely amazing.

--------------------
Human

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Now Trump has apparently tweeted that he still hasn't made the final call and that there are still two or three people in consideration. He also announced that he will not be announcing today, apparently telling Twitter followers before anyone in the campaign.

He could just be screwing with the media after a leak stole his big moment. He could be playing the old reality host game where they will announce who is safe ... right after this commercial! Or maybe he actually has no clue what
he's doing.

Or maybe he just wants to make sure he gets more media coverage rather than getting "crowded out" by coverage of the recent attack in Nice.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Having recently not gotten a job offer after being repeatedly welcomed to the organization myself, I'm inclined to tell the Governor to go back to Indi, get back to work, and not hold his breath for an offer.

The sticking point is that noon today (July 15) is the deadline for Pence to decide he's not running for re-election. Indiana law won't let him appear on the ballot as a candidate for both governor and vice president, so he has to pick. As of yesterday evening Pence still had not done that.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh, I do hope that he pulls out of the governor race and only then has the rug jerked out from under him by Trump. It would be just like the Donald, to suddenly name Chris Christie.

And in other news, Pat Robertson saw Donald Trump sitting at the right hand of God. Further down in that link another pastor claims that Trump would be a better president than Jesus. This of course is inarguable (could Jesus read English? You need to be able to read from the teleprompter to be in politics) but is fantabulously dumb...

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Further down in that link another pastor claims that Trump would be a better president than Jesus. This of course is inarguable (could Jesus read English? You need to be able to read from the teleprompter to be in politics) but is fantabulously dumb...

You'd get the birthers going again -- I don't think Jesus has a U.S. birth certificate. In fact, he's a (gasp!) Middle Easterner!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

According to the New York Times* he has now officially announced Pence.

*Sorry about the paywall, I'm sure other news sites will have it as well.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
quote:
Further down in that link another pastor claims that Trump would be a better president than Jesus. This of course is inarguable (could Jesus read English? You need to be able to read from the teleprompter to be in politics) but is fantabulously dumb...

You'd get the birthers going again -- I don't think Jesus has a U.S. birth certificate. In fact, he's a (gasp!) Middle Easterner!
And he's not white. And he's a Jew!

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is from the POST, but is worth looking at: Trump's appeal as a version of the Prosperity Gospel.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
quote:
quote:

And he's not white. And he's a Jew!
A single man at His age? He must be one of "those" people.

--------------------
~Tortuf

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Also he had a mother and no father, and hence no Y chromosome, and yet he self-identifies as a man.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Many of us here in Indiana are glad to see him not running for Governor again (we can recycle all of our "Pence Must Go" signs). Around here, he was just a tool for the so-called "religious liberty" die-hards. Sorry the nation has to listen to him until November and hoping he is not VP.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
quote:

Many of us here in Indiana are glad to see him not running for Governor again (we can recycle all of our "Pence Must Go" signs). Around here, he was just a tool for the so-called "religious liberty" die-hards. Sorry the nation has to listen to him until November and hoping he is not VP.

sabine

Here's a blogger who characterizes Pence as "Sarah Palin without the charisma." [Big Grin]

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016