homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 81)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Continuation of Trump nonsense before the page turn]

It's not the worst thing he's said, nor the most stupid. It's up there of course. How people can get sucked in, idolise, intend to vote for this lunatic is beyond me. He is just crazy.

[ 27. July 2016, 23:21: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
--Gabby Gifford and Mark Kelly just spoke. (She's the former Congresswoman who was shot, a few years ago. Mark is her husband--former astronaut, former military, and IIRC from a family of cops.)

Mark spoke first, carefully explaining the background I just mentioned, as a preface to being for gun control for people who shouldn't have guns.

He then introduced Gabby. She still has a lot of damage from the shooting, but she's come a long way. She said Hillary would stand up to the gun lobby, adding "It's hard for me to speak, but I'm here to speak up for Hillary".

--A former general is now speaking. He called out Trump on various law and order stuff, international relations, admiring brutal leaders,and the Russian hacking comment. Said how good H would be as a commander-in-chief. "Donald Trump is a walking, talking recruiting poster for ISIS", and added that's no hyperbole, that ISIS actually used T in an ad.

--Yes, Trump usually is that incoherent, at least in the campaign.

--Awful thought: What if the Russians hack the November election?
[Eek!]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
It's not the worst thing he's said, nor the most stupid. It's up there of course. How people can get sucked in, idolise, intend to vote for this lunatic is beyond me. He is just crazy.

Actually, as troubling as the Russian hacking suggestion was, I found this part of his comments perhaps more disturbing for someone who wants to be president:
quote:
I have nothing to do with Putin. . . . I don't know anything about him other than he will respect me.
(Emphasis mine)

Meanwhile, I heard on NPR tonight that while the normal pre-election intelligence briefings are set to begin with both candidates, some in the intelligence community, including some who have done such briefings in the past, are now questioning whether those briefings should happen at all this time around.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kaine (VP candidate) gave a good speech. And Obama gave a *great* speech--possibly the last major speech of his presidency.

Some of the crowd want him for 4 more years. Impossible, of course. And I suspect he needs a break. But I wouldn't mind 4 more Obama years.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I stayed up late to watch the speeches and was not disappointed. Barack Obama gave a real master class in how to deliver a truly memorable speech on a very important occasion. Tim Kaine spoke very well and very confidently. Joe Biden delivered a characteristic barnstormer in his own inimitable way. "Malarkey" is a good word!

But I wondered if the most effective speech to the undecided might have been the one from Michael Bloomberg. The withering criticism of Donald Trump ended with a wincingly accurate summary of the alternatives and the only sensible choice. "Together, let's elect a sane, competent, person".

Indeed.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
And Obama gave a *great* speech--possibly the last major speech of his presidency.

Some of the crowd want him for 4 more years. Impossible, of course. And I suspect he needs a break. But I wouldn't mind 4 more Obama years.

It's possible. They look like getting four more years out of the Clintons. But I suspect Michelle Obama will say no.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Barack is at the end of his term limit. Michelle, when asked about possibly running, a couple years back, said a definite "no", because she doesn't have the temperament for it.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

quote:
I stayed up late to watch the speeches and was not disappointed. Barack Obama gave a real master class in how to deliver a truly memorable speech on a very important occasion. Tim Kaine spoke very well and very confidently. Joe Biden delivered a characteristic barnstormer in his own inimitable way. "Malarkey" is a good word!
A friend of mine was kind enough to read the Old Testament Lesson at my licensing. I told her that under no circumstances should she emulate a member of a previous congregation who stood up at Advent Carols and solemnly intoned "A reading from the Prophecy of Malarkey".

Obama's good, isn't he? I remember when he first stood explaining to someone that US Politics generally resembled an episode of Smallville (niche, moi?) where the protagonist was incapacitated and it was left to Lex and Lana to combat the flesh eating aliens who wanted to conquer the world. Obviously, you are going to root for Lex and Lana, but without any real enthusiasm. When Obama ran it was, as if Clark Kent had emerged from the Fortress of Solitude to do battle. He didn't always live up to that initial promise, of course, no-one ever does. But we are going to miss him, when he goes.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
it might just make up for a lot of what he put her through.

Which is really between her, him and God. It sickens me that Donald Trump (of all people) would continue to raise it. It's time we stopped.
Of course Donald Trump can't imagine a marriage that was about anything but sex.

I was amazed, at the time of the Monica scandal, the number of women who said they couldn't respect Hillary for staying with Bill. I think they have a fabulous marriage, a great meeting of minds, a long interesting history together, a daughter they both obviously love, a shared sense of humor and interests. Why would anyone think they should give all that up because of something so ultimately meaningless. They're going to grow old together with so much to talk and laugh about, I would love to have a rocking chair on their porch.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile, Kasich is running out his campaign war chest with a fake website and well-crafted video slamming Trump's bromance with Putin.

Paid for with dollars, not rubles.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Meanwhile, Kasich is running out his campaign war chest with a fake website and well-crafted video slamming Trump's bromance with Putin.

Ummm, that was from last December. (But it's very funny.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Ummm, that was from last December. (But it's very funny.)
Then it's prescient and pretty impressive thereat. Wow. They saw it coming 7 months ago.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Back in 2000, Christopher Buckley wrote a satirical inaugural address for Trump (PDF)--never believing that it might happen.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Back in 2000, Christopher Buckley wrote a satirical inaugural address for Trump (PDF)--never believing that it might happen.

That would be hysterically funny if it weren't so scary!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

(Watching the DNC.)

Former basketball star Kareem Abdul Jabar spoke. Then there was a video of Hillary talking about a young, immigrant, Muslim-American soldier who died, saving his troop. Then his father and mother (in hijab) came onstage. The father spoke, sadly, proudly, angrily; and the mother stood next to him. (I wish she'd spoken, too.) He spoke about his son, about being a proud Muslim-American, and about what Trump thinks of Muslims and immigrants. He said that everyone--Muslims, all faiths, all genders, etc.--need to vote for Hillary. Then he wondered if T had read the Constitution, pulled a copy from his pocket, and offered to lend it to T. [Smile]

One other interesting thing: a black pastor spoke, mentioned people of all faiths, "and those who have no faith". I've been wishing for the gov't to be more inclusive on that score. It perhaps should've been put a little more diplomatically; but it's a step, IMHO.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Washington Post theater critic has an interesting discussion of the DNC as theater. Just hope HRC can pull off the climax of the show.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"That's the responsibility that comes with being smiled on by fate..."

Chelsea Clinton

[Projectile]

The DNC has been embarrassing.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bernie looks like his head might explode.

He's the reddest thing in the whole place!

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
The Washington Post theater critic has an interesting discussion of the DNC as theater. Just hope HRC can pull off the climax of the show.

Yup, politics is theater, even the ads for 700 actors to fill the empty seats at DNC and cheer on cue.

Early in my adult life I attended a planning session for a low level local race, the discussion was not at all about what did the candidate believe about any of the issues, only what publicly stated opinions would get her elected. I never again got active in politics.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:

Chelsea Clinton

[Projectile]

I see your "smiled on by fate" and raise you one "deal me in!"

[Biased]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Bernie looks like his head might explode. He's the reddest thing in the whole place!

And with the health care benefits provided under his Senate insurance policy, he can certainly afford effective blood pressure medication.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Is Donald Trump always that incoherent?

Pretty much. And as Tim Kaine pointed out, any time Trump says "Believe me . . ." you know not to believe him.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
... the ads for 700 actors to fill the empty seats at DNC and cheer on cue.

Source?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's Snopes' report on it.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The notion that they would have to pay people to watch history being made is laughable. One of the PBS commentators noted that there were so many people in the arena that you couldn't see an inch of the carpet.

More important, though, is that while Republican party luminaries and conservative celebrities stayed away from the RNC in droves, a wide range of accomplished people stood up to speak for Clinton.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Chelsea Clinton

[Projectile]

From what I have seen, the DNC has been a fairly typical political convention. What is embarrassing is the RNC and the fact that anyone outside a mental facility considers Trump a real candidate. His campaign, and the RNC, look like an Onion video run by their interns.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just as the movie Network presaged the decline and self-degradation of the media, so too might Idiocracy be prophetic.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I suspect that this is largely because of the added scrutiny and coverage of both conventions this year, and the knowledge that the world is watching.

Politics aside, I thought the description here of the difference between political conferences on either side of the Atlantic was fairly apt: https://medium.com/welcome-to-the-scream-room/american-horror-story-ab4a4b389949#.jpbhlq6j2

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

What is embarrassing is the RNC and the fact that anyone outside a mental facility considers Trump a real candidate. His campaign, and the RNC, look like an Onion video run by their interns.

I suppose you've got two options if you are a reasonably rational Republican.

1. Stand up and say I'm not voting for this crazy man and it's appalling that my party has got behind him. And take the heat for what many of your fellow Republicans will see as an act of disloyalty.

2. Sit on your anxieties and trust that more rational GOP voices may be able to rein him in if he does get elected. And live with the risk.

Either way, what is really embarrassing is that you have to make one of those choices.

But if you genuinely believe that Trump is a suitable candidate, then I think you are either brainwashed or insane. On a scale of 1-10 for suitability, if Richard Nixon was a 5, then the Donald comes in at about minus 50.

[ 29. July 2016, 09:21: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re comparing Trump with Nixon:

--Some commentators have mentioned similarities--e.g., mindset.

--Would that talk show host David Frost were still alive. He thoroughly interviewed Nixon. (There might be clips online, or see the movie "Frost/Nixon".) Frost would have great fun taking on Trump.

--If we're going to wind up with another Watergate, would the new Woodward and Bernstein kindly get and publish the pertinent dirt on Trump *before* the November election? kthxbai.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
On a scale of 1-10 for suitability, if Richard Nixon was a 5, then the Donald comes in at about minus 50.

The problem is this puts Trump into a category in which he doesn't belong.
Trump is a suitable for the presidency as lead is as a flotation device.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

If you put that in with a selection of real DT speeches and asked people to guess which was the fake, apart from it's being hopefully premature, would anyone be able to tell?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
On a scale of 1-10 for suitability, if Richard Nixon was a 5, then the Donald comes in at about minus 50.

The problem is this puts Trump into a category in which he doesn't belong.
Trump is a suitable for the presidency as lead is as a flotation device.

Oh I agree, which is why I prefaced my spoof scale with this.
quote:
But if you genuinely believe that Trump is a suitable candidate, then I think you are either brainwashed or insane.
Minus 50 is basically nowhere on any scale of suitability.

From this side of the pond, what bothers me is the closeness in the polls. Of course my paranoia has been increased by the Brexit vote, but on the scale of horrible events, Trump in the White House strikes me as much worse than Brexit.

[ 29. July 2016, 18:31: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is the mystery of our age -- why people listen to him and vote for him even though they know he's a grifter and a liar. There have been many theories, many drawing an analogy to Brexit or Jesse Ventura or wosshisname the mayor of Toronto, all occasions when the voter failed in intelligence.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The closeness of the polls is very concerning, particularly when differential turnout is taken into account. Trump supporters are likely to be queuing up (sorry, standing in line) at 6AM, and bringing their buddies and workmates with them, whereas I get the feeling that many Democrats will vote for Clinton, but not with the infectious enthusiasm that got the vote out for Obama.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently Donald Trump's running mate doesn't like name calling. Or at least not when the current president does it.

quote:
"You know, I don’t think name calling has any place in public life, and I thought that was unfortunate that the President of the United States would use a term like that, let alone laced into a sentence like that," he said. "But I just don’t see it. I see, I think what I have found in Donald Trump is this is a man of enormous accomplishment, obviously someone who has achieved great things in his life."
Not just name calling, but name calling that's part of a sentence! How rude!

quote:
Pence went on to deflect any further questions about the Democratic convention in the interview with Hewitt, instead focusing on Trump's accomplishments and calling him "kind" and "extremely considerate."
Pence might just as well have said "Donald Trump is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

From this side of the pond, what bothers me is the closeness in the polls. Of course my paranoia has been increased by the Brexit vote, but on the scale of horrible events, Trump in the White House strikes me as much worse than Brexit.

It will be impossible to separate out the effects of each if that moron is elected.
But yes, I do think he is worse. I do not have much respect for voters in general, people rarely have a thorough knowledge of current events or how things work. However, Trump supporters are truly frightening. Even those who have a reason beyond fear and prejudice make no connection the the fact that Trump has no plans, nothing beyond vague, often impossible statements. And even those who do, think it is not a big deal.
USA Today has a feature called Trump Nation* in reading the statements, I could think of nothing but idiot for each.

*Not a direct link. It is too much to ask the hosts to read through all that and listen to the included audio clips.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
The closeness of the polls is very concerning . . . .

It's not that unusual for the polls to be close around convention time. If they're still close in a few weeks, then we may have more cause to worry. If, on the other hand, Clinton moves back fairly quickly to the lead she had before the conventions, then it may be the Trump supporters who need to worry.

quote:
. . . . particularly when differential turnout is taken into account. Trump supporters are likely to be queuing up (sorry, standing in line) at 6AM, and bringing their buddies and workmates with them, whereas I get the feeling that many Democrats will vote for Clinton, but not with the infectious enthusiasm that got the vote out for Obama.
From what I'm seeing, I anticipate that Democratic-leaning groups—particularly minority groups—will have massive get-out-the-vote efforts going. Those efforts are usually extremely well organized. It's the GOTV efforts of younger voters that may be harder to predict.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
. . . . particularly when differential turnout is taken into account. Trump supporters are likely to be queuing up (sorry, standing in line) at 6AM, and bringing their buddies and workmates with them, whereas I get the feeling that many Democrats will vote for Clinton, but not with the infectious enthusiasm that got the vote out for Obama.
From what I'm seeing, I anticipate that Democratic-leaning groups — particularly minority groups — will have massive get-out-the-vote efforts going. Those efforts are usually extremely well organized. It's the GOTV efforts of younger voters that may be harder to predict.
Of course, voters who turned out enthusiastically to vote for Obama might also be affected by this:

quote:
[T]he president plans to campaign aggressively for Mrs. Clinton this fall. Aides have largely cleared his calendar in October, and barring new crises, the White House expects Mr. Obama to be on the campaign trail almost daily leading up to Election Day.
I'm not sure why it's even debatable that Obama's enthusiastic supporters are indifferent about maintaining his legacy.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The get-out-the-vote effort on election day is crucial. This is where Romney's machine fell apart, as you recall.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps the only slight hope if Trump becomes president, is that since he doesn't really seem to be that doctrinaire as a conservative, that he'll end up adopting many of Hillary's policies, and figure out a way of not making it seem like a flip flop.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The get-out-the-vote effort on election day is crucial. This is where Romney's machine fell apart, as you recall.

The Obama campaign heavily relied on and encouraged early voting in those states that have it. Traditionally, GOP campaigns have not pushed early voting as heavily, focusing on Election Day voting.

[ 30. July 2016, 00:29: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
The closeness of the polls is very concerning . . . .

It's not that unusual for the polls to be close around convention time. If they're still close in a few weeks, then we may have more cause to worry. If, on the other hand, Clinton moves back fairly quickly to the lead she had before the conventions, then it may be the Trump supporters who need to worry.

Trump is not worried. Neither are his supporters. It's all upside to them.

Hillary is a weak candidate, of even weaker character. She has been running for this office for most of 20 years and people just don't like her. Furthermore, if she hadn't married the man she did no one would even know her name.

It's Hillary and her supporters who are and will continue to be worried.

Rightfully so...

--------------------

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

Of course Donald Trump can't imagine a marriage that was about anything but sex.

I was amazed, at the time of the Monica scandal, the number of women who said they couldn't respect Hillary for staying with Bill. I think they have a fabulous marriage, a great meeting of minds, a long interesting history together, a daughter they both obviously love, a shared sense of humor and interests. Why would anyone think they should give all that up because of something so ultimately meaningless. They're going to grow old together with so much to talk and laugh about, I would love to have a rocking chair on their porch.

I used to be cynical about the relationship between Bill and Hillary.

But there has to be something good there. Years ago I watched a clipof them being prepared for an on camera interview together. Lot's of equipment around, wires, cameras, light fixtures. One of the latter, up above them, suddenly shorted out with a lound bang, exploding in a shower of electrical sparks and small pieces of glass. Hillary crouched down in startlement, uttering "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" an old fashioned comment of surprise. Bill didn't say anything but he threw himself over her, to protect her from whatever was happening. No time to think, his first instinct was to protect Hillary.

When I saw that I changed my mind about them, not so sure my cynical attitude was correct.

[Code corrected]

[ 30. July 2016, 06:15: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Baker

Welcome to the Ship.

I corrected the way you coded the quote from Twilight so it appeared in the normal way. The easiest way to do that is simply to press the Quotes button '' which appears above each post and this opens up a new post for you. After that you can simply edit out any other parts of the post you don't want to refer to.

If you want to practice doing that or anything else, you may find this thread in the Styx helpful.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

[ 30. July 2016, 06:25: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:

Trump is not worried. Neither are his supporters. It's all upside to them.
[snip]
It's Hillary and her supporters who are and will continue to be worried.

Rightfully so...

The worry has got zilch to do with the flaws in the Democratic candidate and everything to do with the lunatic demagoguery and ignorance of the Republican candidate. And the fact that some 40% of the US voters do think he's suitable.

Trump is suitable in only one sense. He's a suitable case for mental health treatment.

It's obvious that you detest Hillary Clinton. But are you more relaxed about Trump becoming Commander in Chief of the United States than her?

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
And as Tim Kaine pointed out, any time Trump says "Believe me . . ." you know not to believe him.

Which is of course precisely the reason someone like trump has manoeuvred himself to within spitting distance of the Whitehouse.
It was the gradual erosion of belief in the integrity of our major institutions that became the disease, trump and Brexit are mere symptoms.

I don't personally view these developments as posing any greater risk of turning us all to ash than the crises and upheavals of decades long past.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Baker--

Your Clinton story sounded odd to me, because AFAIK Hillary is neither Catholic nor Irish. But I found an account of it here, in paragraphs 3 & 4. The interview you mentioned evidently was in the 25th anniversary special for "60 Minutes".

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
I don't personally view these developments as posing any greater risk of turning us all to ash than the crises and upheavals of decades long past.

So does that mean you'll be moving to the US, if Trump wins? [Biased]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

rolyn

"Post-fact politics" (as I heard one commentator describe it) may indeed be the child of spin and other misdeeds by politicians. But that doesn't make the consequences of post-fact politics any less dangerous.

People in the UK are going to discover the hard way that, far from being a cure-all, Brexit is going to make a lot of their lives worse.

Electing Trump gives the USA a Commander in Chief who, on the basis of his own statements, you really don't want anywhere near decisions over the deployment of troops or the use of nuclear weapons. It's an assumption and a hope that "Oh this is just campaign game-playing, of course he'll turn out to be safer than that". Do you really want to bet the farm on that? Or the future of the world?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016