homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 88)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Really?

Way to cede the moral high ground.
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
quote:
Really?

Way to cede the moral high ground.
Would have been a waste of time.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A key article from the NY Times from inside Trump's campaign. This is worth using one of your free reads on. What strikes me is how the man is utterly controlled by his temperament. Even when he acknowledges the need to change, wishes to change, promises everyone that he will change -- he can't. He cannot help himself. He is totally unsuited to run so much as a car wash.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The day is coming when we will have heard the last from Trump. Maybe 3 months from now, maybe 4 years, maybe 8 years. But the day is coming when he will again be easy to ignore. That's what I keep repeating to myself.
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by nickel:
The day is coming when we will have heard the last from Trump. Maybe 3 months from now, maybe 4 years, maybe 8 years. But the day is coming when he will again be easy to ignore. That's what I keep repeating to myself.

Please let that day be Wednesday November 9th 2016.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From your keyboard to God's Twitter feed.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zapp Brannigan does Trump.
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Zapp Brannigan does Trump.

This link is very true. It is not comedy, but reportage (whatever that is). Donald J Trump will not only be President of the United Staaates but President of the entire Universe, no, President of all Universes known or unknown.

It is the intention of The Next President of the United States to cryogenically freeze himself in the last days of his second Presidency. When he emerges from his sleep, he will put himself on the ballot using public pressure and court action. He always wins in Court. He's never lost! If he does not succeed, he will re-freeze himself for a predetermined number of years, and then try again. This time he will win. He's never lost!

It is in the 31st Century, when he will be President of all Universes, known and unknown, although he knows about them, that the Zap Brannagan comparison is truly apt (not sure whan that word means but it seems right). President-elect Trump has always had great legs. Sometimes, when spending time with his daughter Ivanka, he just hangs around in tights like King Richard, who was king of England back before the United Staaates was any good.

So, Donald J Trump looks great in tights. His legs are the best. Right? I mean his legs are just fantastic people. He will look good in a uniform like Brannagan's and he will have sex with that one-eyed chick on many occasions. He will pursue her, and he will conquer her, because The Donald always wins. Am I right?

[ 15. August 2016, 03:25: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Trump is well on the way to winning the "nasty" gold medal. Put another way; in the "louse v double-louse" race, he's don a fantastic job in convincing the majority of voters of his superior "lousiness".

Not sure that HC will need to do a lot, other than appear calm and dignified, and avoid rising to his poisonous bait (which seems to me to be poisoning him). He's certainly keeping himself highly placed in the news cycle. And normally there is no such thing as bad publicity. But not this year.

The polls-only forecast on 538 gives the probability of a HC win as just under 90%, with just under 200 electoral votes more than the Donald. I hope it's showing something similar at the beginning of November.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
And normally there is no such thing as bad publicity. But not this year.

Depends on who's consuming it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I won't rest easy until the Tiny Fingered One is polling in the low single digits. Which he seems well on his way to achieving.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are now 85 days from Election Day 2016 and 42 days from the first Presidential debate.

Nate Silver has the probability of a Clinton victory at 78.8%, with an average outcome of 323 electoral votes.

Sam Wang at the Princeton Election Consortium (sort of like Nate Silver for those who want more technical math with their analysis) predicts a 75% chance of a Clinton victory using a random drift model and an 87% chance using Bayesian analysis. Wang's average outcome is Clinton getting 340 electoral votes.

RealClearPolitics, which is a current state aggregator rather than a predicting trend analyzer, currently has Clinton winning 256 electoral votes, Trump winning 154, and 128 electoral votes listed as "toss ups". Note that Clinton has "gained" 54 electoral votes (as indicated by polling) since the last time we checked in two weeks ago while Trump has "gained" 0.

The folks at electoral-vote.com (another real-time poll aggregator like RealClearPolitics) currently have Clinton winning 352 electoral votes to Trump's 180, with Iowa's 6 electoral votes too close to call, if the election were held today.

So this looks like Hillary Clinton consolidating her strengths and extending her campaign into battleground states, while her opponent seems to be spinning his metaphorical wheels. That's the current trajectory, although twelve weeks is an eternity in politics and anything can change.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To paraphrase Mark Twain (who borrowed it from Benjamin Disraeli): "There are lies, damned lies, and polls."

[ 15. August 2016, 15:18: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The damage Trump is doing will extend far beyond November, regardless of how badly he loses.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
The damage Trump is doing will extend far beyond November, regardless of how badly he loses.

True. But it'd be far, far worse if he won, or even lost in a close contest. It'll be far easier to put the lid down on the commode and flush him, if he loses spectacularly, in a historic blowout that no one would ever want to emulate. In an ideal universe, his very name will be radioactive in political circles, Hitlerian, Stalinesque, in the tradition of Pol Pot,

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

He has wreaked havoc with the Republican Party. After the way they've acted for the past decade or two, they have certainly needed a major upheaval. This may be his one contribution to U.S. politics (but only if he loses).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A deliciously caustic yet accurate article that is not behind a paywall, about the current state of play. Trump has blamed all his problems upon the wicked media, because it is never under any circumstance his responsibility.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

He has wreaked havoc with the Republican Party. After the way they've acted for the past decade or two, they have certainly needed a major upheaval. This may be his one contribution to U.S. politics (but only if he loses).
NOpe. It might be his one positive contribution. His major effect is acceptable hate.
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A deliciously caustic yet accurate article that is not behind a paywall, about the current state of play. Trump has blamed all his problems upon the wicked media, because it is never under any circumstance his responsibility.

The article calls Trump's behaviour as biting the hand that feeds him. Problem is, despite the wound, they are still feeding him.
The article compares him to an addict blaming the drug for their addiction. But the media is not just the drug, they are the dealers.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the damage Trump does will depend on how he handles losing. If he takes the conventional approach of conceding gracefully and calling for unity behind Clinton, everything should be just fine. I will stand up and give him a round of applause and make the "respect" sign that I'm told they do on the street.

But I don't reckon that's the Trump way. He is going to whinge and whine and talk about cheating and claim that the Clinton Administration somehow stole the election from him, or the whole system is rigged and has no legitimacy.

After a summer of riots, shootings and simmering tension about policing and the Black Lives Matter movement, the only saving grace will be that it gets quite chilly by November.

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
But I don't reckon that's the Trump way. He is going to whinge and whine and talk about cheating and claim that the Clinton Administration somehow stole the election from him, or the whole system is rigged and has no legitimacy.

It will probably be Obama's fault.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
That's the current trajectory, although twelve weeks is an eternity in politics and anything can change.

I think we can expect the classic "October Surprise" this round. Campaigns hold back a supposedly devastating story or insinuation, and spring it the month before the election.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find it hard to imagine how Trump can possibly come up with anything more preposterous than he already has said.

I also find it hard to imagine how anybody could come up something about Trump himself that would shock people anymore.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
I think the damage Trump does will depend on how he handles losing. If he takes the conventional approach of conceding gracefully and calling for unity behind Clinton, everything should be just fine.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

If Trump does that I will donate $50 to the Christchurch Immigrants and Refugee Centre.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And he's already said, repeatedly, that the election will be rigged.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it’s fair to say the chances of him accepting defeat gracefully are zero. Il Duce’s favourite insult is “loser”. He doesn’t do losing. Even when he loses.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

He'll tell the whole country "you're fired!"--the way he kicks contestants off his "The Apprentice" show.

Does that mean he'll have to pay all us Americans unemployment benefits? [Devil]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A key article from the NY Times from inside Trump's campaign. This is worth using one of your free reads on. What strikes me is how the man is utterly controlled by his temperament. Even when he acknowledges the need to change, wishes to change, promises everyone that he will change -- he can't. He cannot help himself. He is totally unsuited to run so much as a car wash.

You're right, this is one of the best articles I've read. I wouldn't have believed it, but I actually found myself feeling sorry for him* because he seems so much like a frustrated toddler who needs to have clear boundaries set. Scary behaviour in an adult though, and definitely not someone I would want to see in any position of power.

*Yes, I'm finding it hard to believe I wrote that too [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Just saw new clip on TV of Trump saying to crowd: "Can you imagine if I spent all this time, all this money, on this--and lost?" (Quoting from memory.)

Poor baby. Let's all feel sorry for him--and hope that we really do get a chance to feel sorry for his losing. [Biased]

There was also something about his wanting "extreme ideological tests" for immigrants. (Phrase the news used. Not sure if it's his.) I presume it's more hassling of Muslim and Middle Eastern immigrants.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Tell you what, if you can show a better grasp of democracy and human rights than Trump has, you're in'.

That shouldn't set the bar too high.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Firenze--

But the Constitution won't let us elect a mature grade schooler as president. Has to be at least 35 years old.
[Biased]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The NYT article is the one that has set him off on the current idea that All The Media Hates Him and that we're All In Cahoots to steal the presidency from him. (It is never his fault, it is -always- someone else's fault.)

I do like the idea that if he loses spectacularly he will quit the country in a huff. Perhaps he will take his (alleged) billions and his (reported) zillions of supporters and become a citizen of ... of where? Surely not Mexico. The Canadians are famously nice, but they're not stupid. Didn't Britain have a referendum to keep him out?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
I do like the idea that if he loses spectacularly he will quit the country in a huff. Perhaps he will take his (alleged) billions and his (reported) zillions of supporters and become a citizen of ... of where? Surely not Mexico. The Canadians are famously nice, but they're not stupid. Didn't Britain have a referendum to keep him out?

Maybe Russia?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here is a long deep (and free!) article about Trump's relationship with the media, written by the incomparable Ezra Klein.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Maybe Russia?
Crimea.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
To paraphrase Mark Twain (who borrowed it from Benjamin Disraeli): "There are lies, damned lies, and polls."

I used to believe that. Until I've seen the work Silver has done in the US.

We've had issues up here in Canada and in the UK with the assumptions polling companies use to interpret their data - Canadian firms assume a % of the no comments will go in a certain way while the UK loves the binary swing thing.

But the 2 party state approach along with the depth and long history of the polling across the US allows for more precise predictions.

Still...way too early and a lot riding on the GOTV.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
I used to believe that. Until I've seen the work Silver has done in the US.

We've had issues up here in Canada and in the UK with the assumptions polling companies use to interpret their data - Canadian firms assume a % of the no comments will go in a certain way while the UK loves the binary swing thing.

But the 2 party state approach along with the depth and long history of the polling across the US allows for more precise predictions.

Still...way too early and a lot riding on the GOTV.

Polls provide a decent measure of the current state of the U.S. electorate, and can be analyzed to project trends into the future. On the other hand, the entire premise of political campaigns is that they are able to change the opinion of the electorate, either by moving votes from one column to another or by convincing voters to turn out or stay home.

I remember Silver doing a post facto analysis of the 2012 presidential polling looking for inflection points (i.e. points where events had moved the electorate one way or the other). I think he came up with four events that shifted the electorate by a statistically significant amount in a relatively short time. One was the first presidential debate, when Mitt Romney had a good night and Barack Obama had a relatively bad night. Another was the release of the "47% video".

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I noticed during Trump's foreign policy press conference he was asked whether he would rule out working with Bashir al Assad against ISIS. We said no. This seems like yet another pro-Russian position put by a fellow who's Chief of Staff received 12.7 million from a pro-Russian Ukrainian political party. I understand the chief of staff says that money was for work and labour done, as the lawyers put it.

I also saw some vision about Trump's extreme vetting. He said extreme three times and forgot to say vetting the last time. I think he's trying for the '90's skater vote.

[ 17. August 2016, 00:42: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interestingly, Trump has stated that he will not change his style: he is who he is. This is an actual statement of integrity, a refusal to falsify himself (although he seems to be willing to lie about everything else). All this time I thought his only favorable quality was that he does not lack self-confidence.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Interestingly, Trump has stated that he will not change his style: he is who he is. This is an actual statement of integrity, a refusal to falsify himself (although he seems to be willing to lie about everything else). All this time I thought his only favorable quality was that he does not lack self-confidence.

You reckon? I believe that Trump uses boorishness and aggression as a cover for a colossal lack of self-confidence.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Or other inadequacies (cough tiny hands cough).

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Or other inadequacies (cough tiny hands cough).

[Two face]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:

You reckon? I believe that Trump uses boorishness and aggression as a cover for a colossal lack of self-confidence.
This Onion piece is funny, but also I suspect pretty accurate.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Trump lacks self-confidence? I don't believe it for a second. He's hosted a TV show and he's running for freaking President. Perhaps Trump is driven by a need to prove himself to someone inside his head (maybe his slum landlord Dad?). That would explain his aggression and focus on winning.

The rest of him - the hate and the bigotry and the thin skin - is a mixture of bad elements of American culture (not exclusively American by a long shot, not even remotely. Like, I can't think of a culture where hate and bigotry are not underlying features) and a tendency to divide the world into 'for me' and 'against me'.

No good at all can ever come from those who are 'against me'. Everything they do is bad, even if it doesn't look bad. They are always up to something, the 'against me's'. In my personal experience, people who think this way are extremely competitive and driven to appease their desire for success. They are focused on personal honor, and do not forgive easily. I think many politicians have these traits, but they are usually very good at hiding it.

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Trump has evidently gotten his first security briefing. Anyone think he'll actually manage to keep all of it secret?

--------------------

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There seems to be this idea that many people have that all personality faults come from a lack of self-esteem. When they see someone who challenges this - ie their problem is that they have a completely unfounded belief that they are better than other people - they double down and insist that this person REALLY lacks self-esteem underneath it all. I don't find this argument particularly compelling. It's a completely unfalsifiable hypothesis.

There's a character in Welcome To Night Vale who is satirically presented as the town's best, most deserving citizen - because he has the most money. That seems to me to be the problem with Trump. He believes he deserves to be in charge because he's rich. Whenever he's asked why he should be president, he pretty much responds "because I'm rich, so I'm obviously really good at everything."

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Trump has evidently gotten his first security briefing. Anyone think he'll actually manage to keep all of it secret?

I actually hope he doesn't. Look what happened to Julian Assange. Maybe he and Trump can become roommates in Moscow.

--------------------

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Liopleurodon:

There's a character in Welcome To Night Vale who is satirically presented as the town's best, most deserving citizen - because he has the most money. That seems to me to be the problem with Trump. He believes he deserves to be in charge because he's rich. Whenever he's asked why he should be president, he pretty much responds "because I'm rich, so I'm obviously really good at everything."

Except its not certain he is really as rich as he portrays himself to be.

He's pretty good at riffing on the vibe of the 80's TV show "Life of the Rich and Famous" with its "Champagne wishes and caviar dreams". And yes being a millionaire means he's rich. But, there remains doubts as to him being in the top percentile of the rich, as his behaviour would have people think. Which is why his tax return would be most interesting.

I agree that Trump doesn't lack in self esteem.

I think Trump believes he should be in charge because he believes he is the best thinker and doer in the world. He lives in a bubble (note his most trusted advisors are all family). The consequences of bankruptcy were shielded by accessible credit - he could develop a response that those events were not his fault.

I'm struck by the man Trump was who when interviewed 20 years ago seemed to know he didn't know everything. That Trump, with all his other faults, would be winning this election easy. Maybe its age, maybe its hubris, maybe its being surrounded by enablers and sycophants. But today's Trump doesn't sound anything like 20 years ago Trump.

I don't see him as lacking in self esteem as much as he is railing against getting old.

I would note that the same thing can probably said of Clinton. She too seems to be wanting to recreate her decade of the 90's while she has the energy to do so.

This really is the last Baby Boomer election down there.

[ 18. August 2016, 11:49: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

What are you suggesting? That he might keep it all on his personal server and email his employees about it through his gmail account?

No one would be so stupid.

Well...almost no one.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:

What are you suggesting? That he might keep it all on his personal server and email his employees about it through his gmail account?

Well...almost no one.

Not Hilary's finest hour. Still, the connections between Trump's coterie and Putin's empire are well known. Advantage Clinton I'd say.

If you really want to get into a discussion of the Libertarian and Green candidates stupidity, that can be arranged to. [Smile]

That having been said, do independents and other people unsure right now really make a decision to vote based on email protocols and who's former chief of staff got money from Putin? Likewise, do eggs on Twitter really think the word "Killary" is going to win Trump the election and do fresh faced Dems on Twitter really think daily Trump hashtags are going to stop Trump?

I think most of these outrages are exercises in maintaining the energy of the base. It remains to be seen if they have more influence on GOTV compared to the old fashioned precinct captains who organize knocking and phone calls approach.

[ 18. August 2016, 12:03: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:

Well...almost no one.

. . . but enough about Colin Powell.
(Seriously Colin, AOL? In 2004? [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016