homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 89)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
That having been said, do independents and other people unsure right now really make a decision to vote based on email protocols and who's former chief of staff got money from Putin? Likewise, do eggs on Twitter really think the word "Killary" is going to win Trump the election and do fresh faced Dems on Twitter really think daily Trump hashtags are going to stop Trump?

I'm guessing that by "eggs on Twitter" you mean "Governor of Arizona". The only thing worse than the juvenile rhetoric this time around is the lazy excuses after the fact. Although these kinds of alleged "stumble[s] of the tongue" aren't really anything new.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trump has hired someone to lead his faith and religious outreach. She used to be Sarah Palin's spokesperson. This is going to work out so well. (The link is from the Atlantic, so it's free.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
That having been said, do independents and other people unsure right now really make a decision to vote based on email protocols and who's former chief of staff got money from Putin? Likewise, do eggs on Twitter really think the word "Killary" is going to win Trump the election and do fresh faced Dems on Twitter really think daily Trump hashtags are going to stop Trump?

I'm guessing that by "eggs on Twitter" you mean...
Actually I meant the everyday people out there posting things on twitter thinking it will help change the world. This election is not going to be won on Facebook or Twitter or even on the Ship. [Smile] Its ultimately going to be won in the GOTV.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is "GOTV", please? Thanks.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Get Out The Vote, apparently.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
What is "GOTV", please? Thanks.

Game Of Thrones Videotapes?
General Outlook Towards Venison?
Gathering Of The Vibes?
Great On-Line Thread Victims?

or, just perhaps, Get Out The Vote.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And turning out the voters on Election Day calls for organization, preparation and boots on the ground. You will recall that this was where Romney fell apart, when the curtain went up -- their software crashed, and local activists could not be certain who had voted, who needed a ride, who should be called to remind them to go and vote, etc. Meanwhile Obama's systems were tested and ready.

And so I am comforted. When I think planning, organization, testing, and preparation, the Tiny Fingered One does not leap into my mind's eye. (And, a further point for gratitude -- I haven't gotten a phone call from his campaign in days! It turns out that sending a brick with a BRE taped to it does have a good effect!)

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two possibly related news stories.

Yesterday:

quote:
A firm run by Donald Trump's campaign chairman directly orchestrated a covert Washington lobbying operation on behalf of Ukraine's ruling political party, attempting to sway American public opinion in favor of the country's pro-Russian government, emails obtained by The Associated Press show. Paul Manafort and his deputy, Rick Gates, never disclosed their work as foreign agents as required under federal law.

The lobbying included attempts to gain positive press coverage of Ukrainian officials in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Associated Press. Another goal: undercutting American public sympathy for the imprisoned rival of Ukraine's then-president. At the time, European and American leaders were pressuring Ukraine to free her.

Gates personally directed the work of two prominent Washington lobbying firms in the matter, the emails show. He worked for Manafort's political consulting firm at the time.

Today:

quote:
Paul Manafort on Friday resigned as Donald Trump’s campaign chairman, after the Republican presidential nominee earlier this week announced a new leadership structure for his campaign.

“This morning Paul Manafort offered, and I accepted, his resignation from the campaign. I am very appreciative for his great work in helping to get us where we are today, and in particular his work guiding us through the delegate and convention process. Paul is a true professional and I wish him the greatest success," Trump said in a statement.

What happened to "extreme vetting"?

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It turns out that sending a brick with a BRE taped to it does have a good effect!)

Bankrupt Reporters' Exchange?
Basically Rational Euphemism?
Bonkers Republican E-mail?
Baby Rwandan Eel?
Bitter, Rancid Elephant?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
It turns out that sending a brick with a BRE taped to it does have a good effect!)

Baby Rwandan Eel?
Bitter, Rancid Elephant?

Business Reply Envelope (meaning one where the recipient has to pay the postage).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

Baby Rwandan Eel?
Bitter, Rancid Elephant?

Business Reply Envelope (meaning one where the recipient has to pay the postage).
Thank you!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember during the Vietnam-era draft that some young men would mail bulky, heavy items to Selective Service. Supposedly, they had to place in your permanent file anything you sent them for your records (unless it was perishable -- dead fish, etc., were against the law). I have no idea if this was indeed the law, but a lot of young men had fun with it.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I consider that I have exhibited a truly Christian restraint, neatly packing up a nice dry brick. I have cats, after all, and they use their cat boxes. There is also the question of dairy products -- it is very hot in the US this month.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
I consider that I have exhibited a truly Christian restraint, neatly packing up a nice dry brick. I have cats, after all, and they use their cat boxes. There is also the question of dairy products -- it is very hot in the US this month.

Unless you want the Postal Inspector knocking at your door, you don't want to be shipping things like that (which is why the college guys I knew sent things like your aforementioned brick).

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Very unflattering naked statues of Trump are appearing in various U.S. cities. If you have a strong stomach, Google "naked Trump statues" or something similar. I don't think any link I could post for them would be Safe-for-W*rk.

--------------------
~Tortuf

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Very unflattering naked statues of Trump are appearing in various U.S. cities. If you have a strong stomach, Google "naked Trump statues" or something similar. I don't think any link I could post for them would be Safe-for-W*rk.

I don't have to google. There's one in my community-- right out there on the boardwalk for all to see.

[Projectile]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

The best response so far has been by the New York City Parks Department which stated, after removing the statue, "NYC Parks stands firmly against any unpermitted erection in city parks, no matter how small".

[ 19. August 2016, 21:35: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Crœsos.

That is priceless!!
[Killing me]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

From Salon, an interview explaining why religious conservatives support Trump.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
From Salon, an interview explaining why religious conservatives support Trump.

Really really poorly written IMHO. Doesn't interview any of the major evangelical leaders who have supported Trump, doesn't mention or acknowledge must less interview those who have publicly denounced him. It's full of analysis from political operatives but none from the people it's purporting to speak for. Wasn't even on top of the news enough to catch Dobson's quick backflip on Trump's so-called conversion.

Bleh. Could have been written by a high school intern. Shows the depths journalism, and particularly religion reporting, has sunk to these days.

[ 19. August 2016, 23:21: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Unless you want the Postal Inspector knocking at your door, you don't want to be shipping things like that (which is why the college guys I knew sent things like your aforementioned brick).
IMHO, think twice before sending anything to a candidate. The Secret Service and FBI may get involved, and they take this stuff seriously. Records are kept. Visits happen.

During Dubya's reign, a woman in this area called the Secret Service or FBI, and reported a car with a bumpersticker that told Dubya to go to hell. It didn't offer to send him there. So the Feds paid a visit to the guy who owned the car. Afterwards, they said that he wasn't dangerous--he just didn't like the president very much.

I can understand fantasizing about sending an item of protest, joke, or insult to a candidate or official. But actually doing it??
[Confused]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Bleh. Could have been written by a high school intern. Shows the depths journalism, and particularly religion reporting, has sunk to these days.

Although in my experience religion reporting never was at any great height, at last as regards quality.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

Although in my experience religion reporting never was at any great height, at last as regards quality.
In case you're not familiar with it: GetReligion.org.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

If the visual image is too much for the censor, perhaps
Andy Stewart was blessed with a prophetic musical vision, yea, these many decades past.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

Thank you! Excellent article, too -- the top one being on the Target restroom controversy, and the imbalance in reporting in the mainstream media.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

Thank you! Excellent article, too -- the top one being on the Target restroom controversy, and the imbalance in reporting in the mainstream media.
I think it's a really good website. FYI, one of the main contributors, Terry Mattingly, is Orthodox, so he's always picking up on failure to "get" things Eastern. (He's pretty good with other denominations, too.)

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Ah, yes, I've had online exchanges with Terry Mattingly. Good man. Never reviewed my book though. Dammit.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm finally working out my impression of Trump, viz.

Look at audience, place right hand on pate, wiggle hand up and down.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In today's POST, Jerry Falwell Jr. describes Trump as Churchillian and says we should vote for him. Does this comport with the actual Churchill?

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's preposterous. Before Churchill became Prime Minister, he had already served in numerous posts in the British government, and he also had extensive experience in uniform. He has superbly qualified. Trump, on the other hand, has no military or governmental experience at all. Trump could hardly resemble Churchill less.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Agreed. As I understand it, Churchill had a somewhat volatile disposition, but he also has experience and eloquence to rein that in. Falwell is really grasping to make that comparison.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

One must assume they are light on history, over at Liberty University.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
It's preposterous. Before Churchill became Prime Minister, he had already served in numerous posts in the British government, and he also had extensive experience in uniform. He has superbly qualified. Trump, on the other hand, has no military or governmental experience at all. Trump could hardly resemble Churchill less.

Experience isn't everything. Churchill's CV includes the Dardanelles campaign (Gallipoli and all that) of 1915.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Does this comport with the actual Churchill?

Churchill did sell his pre-war magnum opus The History of the English-Speaking Peoples in advance to several different publishers. Possibly also more of his researchers' words ended up on the page that is considered altogether respectable.

So to that extent there is some comparison to be drawn.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:

Experience isn't everything. Churchill's CV includes the Dardanelles campaign (Gallipoli and all that) of 1915.
If Gallipoli had been persecuted the way Churchill had prescribed, it might have come off much differently. As it is, he really can't be blamed that other people completely fucked up his plans and did something completely different in the exact same place.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Agreed. As I understand it, Churchill had a somewhat volatile disposition, but he also has experience and eloquence to rein that in. Falwell is really grasping to make that comparison.

He was also a racist and shares the responsibility for the unnecessary deaths of millions of Indians, amongst other things.
There are those within who greatness and villainy coexist, Churchill is one.
There is not greatness in Trump. I do not think there is any inherent villainy either, but there is still the potential for great damage to be done by his faults.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Does this comport with the actual Churchill?

Churchill did sell his pre-war magnum opus The History of the English-Speaking Peoples in advance to several different publishers. Possibly also more of his researchers' words ended up on the page that is considered altogether respectable.

So to that extent there is some comparison to be drawn.

I recommend this series to anyone. Churchill is an entertaining writer, and its popular history. It's not great on the early stuff, but scholarship has changed much from his day. I'm told by Wikkipedia that he started writing it when out of Government in the thirties, stopped for the war, and had it published in the fifties. I'm off to google "Was Churchill a Racist?" I'm sure he was, being British, white and born in 1874, but you never know.

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
In today's POST, Jerry Falwell Jr. describes Trump as Churchillian and says we should vote for him. Does this comport with the actual Churchill?

Well, as envisioned by Michael O'Donoghue back in the 1970s, maybe...

google: The Churchill Wit Front Office Football)

(no hotlink, because some of the language is possibly NSFW)

I couldn't find a direct link to the original from National Lampoon. It's obviously better when done up like the Reader's Digest-type article that it was parodying.

[ 21. August 2016, 07:31: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's a hotlink requiring two clicks, as per board rules...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/j5thl3d

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hosting/

Thanks Stetson. Our two-click principle applies to pictures rather than language, although a warning for the latter is appreciated.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It is idle to complain that Churchill was a racist. You might as well accuse him of not having a Twitter account. OTOH it is relevant to accuse Trump. He is 70 and has lived through some major societal developments, all of which have rolled off him like water off a duck.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It is idle to complain that Churchill was a racist. You might as well accuse him of not having a Twitter account.

Rubbish. He was derided in his day for his attitudes.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

My mate claims that his Irish father hates Churchill, but he also claims that his father keeps Nazi memorabilia in his cellar. Mind you, we are usually three sheets to the wind at this point in our formulaic conversations.

--------------------
Human

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trump is a Troll

This article rings true, including the conclusions on how to deal with him (be calm, cool and use facts - even better, ignore him)

Social media - including us Shippies chatting in here - makes this unlikely.

He'll fail, he'll be a flash in the pan. But what will the USA do for an opposition party when the election is over?

Interesting times.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
It is idle to complain that Churchill was a racist. You might as well accuse him of not having a Twitter account.

True, but those who derided him were little better, While racism is still endemic, racial discrimination is now illegal but then it was a cornerstone of British foreign policy.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

So he was a democrat?

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

True, but those who derided him were little better, While racism is still endemic, racial discrimination is now illegal but then it was a cornerstone of British foreign policy.
True, but if we do not excuse that in our enemies, we cannot excuse it in our own.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Churchill's blunder at Gallipoli must be acknowledged, and the attempts to explain away the disaster as either the fault of those putting the idea into action, and then onto those actually engaged in the battle are just attempts. None has been persuasive.

The other major blunder of execution was the return to the Gold Standard in 1925. An immediate and major effect of this was to create what we would now call a recession; in the longer term it deepened the depression in the UK with higher levels of unemployment than would otherwise have been the case.

Churchill also had a romantic attachment to the British Empire and in particular to the Indian Empire. Had he been returned to power in 1945 the transition to independence in the sub-continent would have been delayed and even more blood would have been shed. Along the same lines was his failure to understand the real effect of the Statute of Westminster II and flowing from that his belief that he could direct the deployment of the forces of the Dominions. Fortunately for Australia, Curtin did understand the consequences and withdrew Australian forces for home defence.

Very limited relevance to the US election but an interesting tangent.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

I'm guessing that by "eggs on Twitter" you mean...
Actually I meant the everyday people out there posting things on twitter thinking it will help change the world. This election is not going to be won on Facebook or Twitter or even on the Ship. [Smile] Its ultimately going to be won in the GOTV.
On twitter, an egg is the default icon you get when you create an account. Generally, a "twitter egg" is implying that the account was created for a specific goal, usually to support or oppose something/someone, with the implication that they're bots or sockpuppets.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Churchill's blunder at Gallipoli must be acknowledged, and the attempts to explain away the disaster as either the fault of those putting the idea into action, and then onto those actually engaged in the battle are just attempts. None has been persuasive.

To whom? You? Obviously they were persuasive to the people making them.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016