homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:

Well, I hope they have fun. It seems I have a prior commitment to soak in the swimming pool and drink beer.

Agreed-- a much more productive use of time. But I would advocate carving a bit of time there to catch Stewart's take on it all...
You would have a better shot of catching something fresh and actually funny if you watched the debate.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps our Nick could arrange things so he could lounge in the swimming pool, drink beer and watch the comedy show all at the same time.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm trying to imagine the fun and games that could result from a Republican House and a Sanders presidency. What's worse - a commie or a n*****?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A woman, of course. The GOP loathes women.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Perhaps our Nick could arrange things so he could lounge in the swimming pool, drink beer and watch the comedy show all at the same time.

It would be groovy but there isn't any cable tv outlets at the pool. I've already looked. Soaking in the pool, downing some suds and watching a baseball game was my plan. We live in a condo and it's the pool for the condo complex so it isn't something I can easily remedy. So, instead of groovy we have to settle for swell.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It would be groovy but there isn't any cable tv outlets at the pool. I've already looked.

You just need a little more initiative. Slingbox or similar in your unit, hooked up to your cable. Webcast the video to a laptop or tablet in the pool.
You can do point-to-point wifi between your place and an access point near the pool with a couple of pringles cans.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bibliophile
Shipmate
# 18418

- Posted      Profile for Bibliophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Who are considered the most serious candidates at this stage ? I am guessing Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush, or is the name Bush considered too problematic?

The conventional (in both senses of the term) wisdom, at least as far as I've been able to follow it, is that the "serious candidates" are J.E.B. Bush* (the establishment candidate) and Scott Walker (the darling of the Tea Party and other far right purists). Marco Rubio is considered a potential spoiler if either of these two stumbles.

I think that Scott Walker would be a terrible candidate and frankly I don't see why Tea Party people would like him so much. He's done flip flops on immigration and various other issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYLcWhx_ERc

http://www.redstate.com/diary/freedomrepublican/2015/03/09/12-reasons-why-conservatives-should-reject-scott-walker/

He's a strong supporter of TPP, his economic and budget records are less than stellar. Beyond that he just doesn't seem very likeable. Watching some clips of him and he just comes across as one of the most smarmy and insincere looking people I've every seen. I can't see him doing well in the general election and I can't think of a single good reason for any Republican voter to actually vote for him in the primaries.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibliophile:
quote:
The conventional (in both senses of the term) wisdom, at least as far as I've been able to follow it, is that the "serious candidates" are J.E.B. Bush* (the establishment candidate) and Scott Walker (the darling of the Tea Party and other far right purists). Marco Rubio is considered a potential spoiler if either of these two stumbles.

I think that Scott Walker would be a terrible candidate and frankly I don't see why Tea Party people would like him so much. He's done flip flops on immigration and various other issues
You underestimate the degree to which the Tea Party (and similar) is about simple resentment. Scott Walker hates unions and busts them, particularly public sector unions. Plus he survived a recall election, so he's already stuck it to "them". ("Them" in this case being some vaguely liberal conspiracy.) Yes he's terrible at public speaking, but "smarmy asshole" is what the Tea Party is looking for. It's their key demographic.

[ 01. August 2015, 19:41: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And speaking of Scott Walker, this seems like a fairly clever bit of political theatre.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I enjoyed this questionnaire (scroll down a bit).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Looks like the slate is set for the first Republican Presidential Debate of the 2016 primaries. The top ten, in order of decreasing popularity, are:

• Republican frontrunner Donald Trump
  • J.E.B. Bush
  • Scott Walker
  • Mike Huckabee
  • Ben Carson
  • Ted Cruz
  • Marco Rubio
  • Rand Paul
  • Chris Christie
  • John Kasich

The staging will be set up to give the top polling candidate the center podium, with others flanking him (right and left) in order of decreasing popularity. Which means frontrunner Trump will be sandwiched between Bush and Walker.

The "other six", who will be participating in the earlier "kiddie table" debate, are:

• Rick Santorum
  • Bobby Jindal
  • Carly Fiorina
  • Lindsey Graham
  • George Pataki
  • Jim Gilmore

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tomorrow night: Stock up on your favorite beverage and let the drinkin' games begin! The debates also coincide with Jon Stewart's last night on the air-- extended to 90 minutes. It should be the best 90 min. ever. We need to savor it, as it's gotta last us through the next 15 months of what promises to be a whackadoodle election season.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At least the Labour Party's list has only got four names on it, and ½ are men and ½ are women.

Unless I'm missing something, the only woman is on the reserve list.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Unless I'm missing something, the only woman is on the reserve list.

No, no. Lindsey Graham is a man...

Oh, wait. You meant Carly Florina. Never mind. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
The "other six", who will be participating in the earlier "kiddie table" debate, are:

• Rick Santorum
  • Bobby Jindal
  • Carly Fiorina
  • Lindsey Graham
  • George Pataki
  • Jim Gilmore

Oops. That should be the "other seven". I left out this guy:

• Rick Perry

I'd like to claim I was being deliberately ironic (because, you know), but I was just sloppy.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

And the Democrats have finally gotten around to announcing their debate schedule. The first one will be in about two months, on October 13. Six debates overall, with (at least) the first four taking place before the first primaries/caucuses.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This article (NSFW language ahead!!!) is probably the best thing I have read about the election, the Trump candidacy, and the ridiculousness of polls and debates in August.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, all I can say is, the competition for Next Faux Network Star did not disappoint. [Snigger]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was certainly interesting seeing "family values" voters out in force to defend against charges of misogyny made by a Fox news anchor.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
the ridiculousness of polls and debates in August

Yep, especially when it isn't the August of an election year. I drank beer and watched some Cheers on Netflix with my wife then read and farted around for a while until Rectify. They can all pound sand until after the Super Bowl.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
the ridiculousness of polls and debates in August

Yep, especially when it isn't the August of an election year. I drank beer and watched some Cheers on Netflix with my wife then read and farted around for a while until Rectify. They can all pound sand until after the Super Bowl.
Of course the folks in Iowa would prefer to have a chance to hear from the candidates before they vote in their caucuses, which take place six days before the Super Bowl. New Hampshire votes two days after Super Bowl 50.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Of course the folks in Iowa would prefer to have a chance to hear from the candidates before they vote in their caucuses, which take place six days before the Super Bowl. New Hampshire votes two days after Super Bowl 50.

That's six months away and the candidates all go all over Iowa, anyway. It just seems awfully early to me, that's all.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

That's six months away and the candidates all go all over Iowa, anyway. It just seems awfully early to me, that's all.
Well yes. You'll note that the Democrats aren't starting their debates until October. Of course, there's a lot less winnowing that needs to be done there.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well yes. You'll note that the Democrats aren't starting their debates until October. Of course, there's a lot less winnowing that needs to be done there.
Yes, that's true, but Martin O'Malley's bellyaching.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe it's a symptom of who my Facebook friends are, but I didn't notice a huge overlap of people who were posting about the debate and people who are eligible to vote in a Republican primary or who might actually vote for one of the people on stage in the election. The one friend I have who is a professional Republican muckraker was proudly announcing that she was going to happy hour rather than watching.

Oh well. Fox got its content, perhaps a little ratings bump, and advertizing dollars. If ESPN can invent a need for bowl games featuring mediocre college football teams so that it has something to show in December, I guess Fox can invent a need for debates in August, as long as the candidates show up.

So will Trump stay in for Iowa, or is he going to pull out before he risks losing an actual poll? (To be fair, he did win the California Reform Party primary in 2000, even though it happened several months after he pulled out of that race. After 25 years of pulling this trick, you'd think we would have caught on.)

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:

Oh well. Fox got its content, perhaps a little ratings bump, and advertizing dollars. If ESPN can invent a need for bowl games featuring mediocre college football teams so that it has something to show in December, I guess Fox can invent a need for debates in August, as long as the candidates show up.

I just read that FOX had 24 million viewers for the debate so, there you go.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

So Trump has been uninvited to speak at a Red State forum after suggesting that Megan Kelly asked him pointed questions because she was on her period.

This is too easy. He makes a big fuss about how neither of the parties are ready for a straight talker who can cut through the B.S., drops out of the Republican primaries, but reminds everyone that he never said he wouldn't run as an independent. He goes out on top, and he gets will he or won't he coverage for the next 12 months.

I'd set the over / under at Labor Day, but that's three weeks out.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe the quote was, she had blood coming out of her eyes, she had blood coming out of her wherever.

Which is gibberish really.

[ 08. August 2015, 16:35: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He is now claiming he was referring to her nose - this does not make a great deal more sense.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, at least the GOP reaction shows that they are beginning to take into account that they have actual, female type women who vote as members.

Period- shaming? Really? What is this, 1985?

Actually, what he seems to be implying is that women are sharper, more aggressive pundits when on their periods, so maybe we ought to use that superpower more.

[ 08. August 2015, 16:44: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes. It's a period drama.

Anything in woman superpower is welcome to stop him, as far as I'm concerned.

One wonders what's really in the back of his strange-hair-controlled mind? He'll know he hasn't got a chance. Or has he?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

It seems to me that this early in the election cycle his poll ratings are due not to agreement with what he plans to actually do, whatever that really is, but to his being entertaining.

If Ric Flair was running he'd have higher ratings than Trump right now.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe that the size of the Trump ego is such that he not only really believes that he can win the nomination, he believes he can win the election and become a viable president. This man's attachment to reality is of the most tenuous.
Furthermore, his comments about women make it clear that I should never spend a dime on anything with the Trump name on it for the rest of my life. Money talks for the Donald.
I have no way to post a picture of my cat, who I Trumped again today, but if you send me your email address I will send you the photo.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I believe that the size of the Trump ego is such that he not only really believes that he can win the nomination, he believes he can win the election and become a viable president. This man's attachment to reality is of the most tenuous.

Why do you assume that he is actually doing this because he wants to be President?

Trump has a long history of flirting with running for President without actually sticking it out. Pretty much every election since 1988.

I think it has nothing to do with his ego telling him that he can win the nomination, and everything to do with furthering his brand as the brash straight talker.

I mean look at who he picked as his target. Prior to this, all sorts of people would have told you that Megan Kelly was only on TV because she has a pretty face and can spout Fox talking points. If there is anyone who he can be sure that people will stop siding with in a few weeks max, it's Megan Kelly.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:

I mean look at who he picked as his target. Prior to this, all sorts of people would have told you that Megan Kelly was only on TV because she has a pretty face and can spout Fox talking points.

Any network would be glad to have her.

quote:
If there is anyone who he can be sure that people will stop siding with in a few weeks max, it's Megan Kelly.
I doubt it. He can't talk out of his ass like that and look better over time.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Oh, I don't think anyone will say that Trump was right for saying what he did. (Actually, I'm sure there are truly tactless people who already have said he was right, but let's forget them for a bit.) I'm just saying that it will be a week or two before another clip of Kelly doing her thing starts circulating with the headline "Watch as a guest eviscerates fembot / walking Barbi doll Megan Kelly" and Trump's remarks become old news.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

What worries me about Trump is that when Hitler rose to power everyone thought he was a clown, too. His very presence in the lineup shows that there's something deeply wrong.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Why do you assume that he is actually doing this because he wants to be President?

Trump has a long history of flirting with running for President without actually sticking it out. Pretty much every election since 1988.

I think it has nothing to do with his ego telling him that he can win the nomination, and everything to do with furthering his brand as the brash straight talker.

Bingo.

Running for prez helps you position yourself to get paid the really big, easy money giving talks at conservative think-tanks/ guest commentator on Fox. The chances of him every taking a job as difficult and thankless as POTUS are exactly nil.

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

7lPeriod- shaming? Really? What is this, 1985?

Actually, what he seems to be implying is that women are sharper, more aggressive pundits when on their periods, so maybe we ought to use that superpower more.

They should put that in the Bodyform advert.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Bingo.

Running for prez helps you position yourself to get paid the really big, easy money giving talks at conservative think-tanks/ guest commentator on Fox. The chances of him every taking a job as difficult and thankless as POTUS are exactly nil.

You really think he needs Fox News money? That would be a serious pay cut for him... of course president would be too; but never underestimate the attraction of power.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
quote:
quote:

Bingo.

You really think he needs Fox News money? That would be a serious pay cut for him... of course president would be too; but never underestimate the attraction of power.
Again, this is a pattern for Trump... and for other GOP leaders as well. There is some pretty serious money to be made on the (both conservative & liberal) speaking circuit for pretty easy work. It's not like you'd have to give up your day job (as you would with POTUS)-- it's just a nice lucrative side job. And you still get the ego thing-- everybody ponying up big $$ to listen to you, quoting you, applauding you-- w/o having to be accountable for your decisions or having to do the hard work of negotiating with Congress (something I can't see Trump doing in a million years).

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Does it really outway the cost of running in the first place ?

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Does it really outway the cost of running in the first place ?

Oh, who knows? To your point, he appears to be playing with his own money (one of his stupider statements, "I don't take special interests money, I AM special interests...), although one wonders if that is his plan longterm. Trump isn't exactly a rational investor-- he's been bankrupt 4 times. He's a reckless swing-for-the-fences kind of guy who has the big wins and the big losses to show for it.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trump doesn't need the Fox News money but he definitely needs their unfair, not balanced backing from their various talking heads. The Fox Faithful are ditto heads.

This morning Trump says anyone who thought his remarks referred to anything other than nose bleeds are "deviants." He also says he will be "phenomenal to the women." Thanks for being so specific, Donald. I feel better now.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I'm not so sure he wants or will get Fox's backing, at least unless he wins the nomination. They loved that he got Democrats with nothing better to do to tune into the debate, but let's be honest, the pledge to support the party and the sexist statements questions weren't intended to help the guy. It's a sideshow to keep us watching, even though we all know the money is going to give us Bush and Clinton a year from now.
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bernie Sanders was just on Face the Nation and he said the worst thing about the debate was all the serious subjects they didn't touch; climate change, the growing gap between rich and poor, the threat of more war in Iraq, the huge campaign funds coming from billionaires who will then control the winner. Why can't we have someone like him for president?

He also touched on the biggest thing I have against Clinton -- she voted for the war in Iraq. That's the reason I voted for Obama over her last time and it still bothers me.

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At least Secretary Clinton has conceded the Iraq vote was a mistake. It seems the GOP wants nothing more than to repeat the mistake with Iran. And Syria.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
What worries me about Trump is that when Hitler rose to power everyone thought he was a clown, too. His very presence in the lineup shows that there's something deeply wrong.

Whilst I think they had very different motivations, part of the appeal they both share is they are speaking to people who feel oppressed by their current situation.
That the US right's "oppression" is an hallucination is irrelevant.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
(one of his stupider statements, "I don't take special interests money, I AM special interests...)

Ugh, that reminds me of his appearance in front of a Scottish Parliamentary Inquiry a few years ago. When asked to provide evidence to back up his assertions (in this case on the negative impact on tourism of wind turbines) he replied "I am the evidence".

I am holding on to all the assertions here that he'll never be President, that at some point in the process he'll withdraw. From your lips/keyboards to God's ears.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Why can't we have someone like him for president?

Well, he is running... when he first got in, I just thought he was too independent and too liberal to win... but I dunno, he's gaining a lot of traction. I thought the same thing of Obama around this time in the election cycle, was just praying he'd hang in there til the Calif primary so I'd get to vote for him at least once... and look what happened... in many ways, Sanders reminds me of Obama.

One little fantasy I've been spinning in my head has to do with the timing of Jon Stewart's exit from the Daily Show.. so odd for him to leave on the same day as the Republican debates which would have been a field day of fun for him... So I wonder... what if he quit so he can run Sander's campaign? Or a PAC that will support candidates and causes he cares about?

A pipe dream, but...
[Axe murder]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016