homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Page 99)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: U.S. Presidential Election 2016
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Boogie your link isn't working for me.

I have just corrected the code for that link.
Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Former president George H.W. Bush (Dubya's dad) said he's voting for *Hillary*!

[Yipee] [Killing me]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Trump has now compared Syrian refugees to a packet of poisoned skittles.

I felt sick when I read it. Such lack of compassion is utterly obnoxious. Surely, surely this will wake the voters of the USA up?

Actually, that was Donald *Jr.*. Gets confusing!

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is it about Skittles? Trump Junior thinks they're poisoned and therefore like refugees. They're also what Trayvon Martin was carrying when George Zimmerman decided he was armed and dangerous and fatally shot him.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
They're also what Trayvon Martin was carrying when George Zimmerman decided he was armed and dangerous and fatally shot him.

Trayvon Martin was bashing Zimmerman's head into the pavement when he was shot.

Skittles are candy. Trump Jr. tweeted: "If I had a bowl of Skittles and I told you three would kill you, would you take a handful?"

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who was it was talking about welcoming the stranger? Oh yeah, that Jesus guy, in Matt. 25:35.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Who was it was talking about welcoming the stranger? Oh yeah, that Jesus guy, in Matt. 25:35.

And then there is Ezekiel 33:6...

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What did he know? And that Jesus guy, a homeless bum. No net worth!

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

Really, if you stay in a place for a year or so, you will know bugger all about it no matter what you do. You can't properly understand a place that is not your home without... no, you just can't.

Yes you can. I agree that travel doesn't inherently broaden one's horizons and, as many British expats prove,* one can live in another country and still be ignorant of it.
However, I dispute the assertion that one cannot understand a new place.

*And Americans in Baja California.

Yeah, I probably pushed it too far. It's hot and sticky here in New Orleans. Damn hot and sticky, and I had to go to three places to get a decent coffee...

I'm generally not too fussed when criminals kill each other. We had an extended war between organised criminals in Melbourne about 15 years ago. It knocked off maybe a dozen senior crime figures over a number of years.

I extend that to people who plant bombs about the place or go shoot up youth camps or primary schools. I would prefer it, for example, if Anders Brevic had been shot dead by the police, or if Timothy McVeigh hadn't put the state to the cost of an injection. I don't support the death penalty. We make too many mistakes in the justice system for that. But I don't mind at all if someone who has committed a criminal act like planting bombs on buses catches a bullet.

I agree with the point made above that Trump is a dickhead.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It's hot and sticky here in New Orleans. Damn hot and sticky, and I had to go to three places to get a decent coffee...

Hot and sticky, I'll believe.

But if you can't find a good cup of coffee in the hipster and foodie capital of the deep South, either you weren't trying, or you don't know one when you taste one.

Here's a little guide if you want one.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
It's hot and sticky here in New Orleans. Damn hot and sticky, and I had to go to three places to get a decent coffee...

Hot and sticky, I'll believe.

But if you can't find a good cup of coffee in the hipster and foodie capital of the deep South, either you weren't trying, or you don't know one when you taste one.

Here's a little guide if you want one.

Just don't drink the coffee mixed with chicory at Cafe Du Monde (along with deep-fried balls of dough).

[Projectile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Trump as a symptom of a larger malaise. This is from the Atlantic, and should be a free click.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
Skittles are candy. Trump Jr. tweeted: "If I had a bowl of Skittles and I told you three would kill you, would you take a handful?"

Comparing certain ethnic groups to hidden poison within otherwise tasty treats is not a new idea, though I do have to give props for dusting off this old classic.

quote:
“Look, Franz, human beings in this world are like the mushrooms in the forest. There are good mushrooms and there are good people. There are poisonous, bad mushrooms and there are bad people. And we have to be on our guard against bad people just as we have to be on guard against poisonous mushrooms. Do you understand that?”

<snip>

“However they disguise themselves, or however friendly they try to be, affirming a thousand times their good intentions to us, one must not believe them. Jews they are and Jews they remain. For our Volk they are poison.”

“Like the poisonous mushroom!” says Franz.

“Yes, my child! Just as a single poisonous mushroom can kill a whole family, so a solitary Jew can destroy a whole village, a whole city, even an entire Volk.”

Streicher wasn't limited to 140 characters at a time so he was able to develop this theme in greater depth than Trump, Jr.

For those who are interested here's the rest of Der Giftpilz.

[ 20. September 2016, 17:18: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Missed the edit window, but it should be noted that last link has some pretty nasty anti-Semitic imagery and ideas. Which is about what you'd expect from a children's book written by Julius Streicher.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Just don't drink the coffee mixed with chicory at Cafe Du Monde (along with deep-fried balls of dough).

Those deep-fried balls of dough are heavenly. But I'm with you on the chicory coffee.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

Those deep-fried balls of dough are heavenly.
Especially dipped in, or injected with, deep, dark chocolate.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

We are now 49 days from Election Day 2016 and 6 days from the first Presidential debate. The previous entry in this series can be found here.

Nate Silver has the probability of a Clinton victory at 57.1%, with an average outcome of 281 electoral votes for Clinton. This is fairly sharp decline from the last time we checked in.

Sam Wang at the Princeton Election Consortium predicts a 71% chance of a Clinton victory using a random drift model and an 81% chance using Bayesian analysis. Wang's average outcome is Clinton getting 296 electoral votes.

RealClearPolitics, which is a current state aggregator rather than a predicting trend analyzer, currently has Clinton winning 200 electoral votes, Trump winning 164, and 174 electoral votes listed as "toss ups". Trump has added his first state (Missouri) to his electoral vote total (according to RCP) since we started this feature. Clinton's total has dipped beyond the point where she can win without picking up some states RCP rates as "Toss Ups".

The folks at electoral-vote.com (another real-time poll aggregator like RealClearPolitics) currently have Clinton winning 274 electoral votes to Trump's 258, with 6 electoral votes (Nevada) too close to call, if the election were held today.

So the race has tightened quite a bit since the last time we looked in. Clinton is still favored to win, but the current trajectory of polling is not in her favor.

Once again the usual caveats apply about how anything can change in the next seven weeks. This is the current state of play, not a prediction.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A dissection of the stinking carcass that is the Trump Foundation. One good thing about the man running for public office -- he won't be able to run this kind of thing any more. Will there be anyone foolish enough now to give one thin dime to this travesty?
Of course this means that Trump must win, otherwise he'll (horrors!) be forced to actually earn his keep honestly.
Oh, and this is from the POST.

[ 20. September 2016, 23:05: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the comments about NOLA coffee. I rate it as difficult to find stuff that is acceptably drinkable. It should be easy to find acceptably drinkable coffee in a city that considers itself civilised, and I hasten to add that I did find it in New Orleans.

Now I am not a coffee connoisseur, certainly not by Australian standards. I just want a milky coffee made with a shot or two of espresso in the morning. Brewed coffee can be OK, as long as it is brewed very strong. Too often I have found brewed coffee in the USA to be weak, horribly weak. If I'm out and about, an espresso, or short black, will do. Don't water it down, don't fill up the small espresso cup because you think you are not giving value, just keep it short and strong.

These types of coffee should be the standard, everywhere. Not push button jobs the proper commercial espresso makers in every cafe that seeks to call itself proper.

Now, my own coffee story which I'm about to relate is my own personal coffee myth. I don't want it fiddled with, or little clever linkies proving it wrong. It's no use, because I will ignore it and continue to believe in my own precious story:

When the Italians first sailed across the ocean assisted by the little coffee angels and arrived in Melbourne, one of them decided to open a cafe in Fitzroy. He looked around for a machine with which to make coffee, and could not find any in our godforsaken British instant coffee hell. He decided to build one himself. He slaved day and night, until finally he had a machine that he could make espresso coffee with in his cafe, aptly named Mario's Black Cat. And so all throughout the 1950's and 1960's he served his coffee, attracting custom from friends, relatives and neighbors far and wide.

After a long long time the British felt that this wog coffee might have something to it. Perhaps granulated coffee was indeed utter shit, a truth whispered only by young agitators among themselves. They started to look around for alternatives, and found themselves buying coffee percolators and beans, grinding them in grinding machines in the supermarket. These machines had different settings on them, and before long housewives in pointy glasses were saying things like "Madge, have you used one of these plungers?"
"Ewww, no, I think they're for the I-ties." "Really? I reckon Shirl has one. I think I might grind up some beans using this new setting and see what happens."
"Oh, I never thought you were the adventurous type Ellie."

All over Melbourne's fashionable suburbs, the plunger coffee sensation spread. People bought out these massive glass cylinders for dinner parties, and people marveled over them, discussing the appropriate delay and how many times to shake it to get the best possible brew. It was all completely pointless though because the coffee was either rubbish or bitter and rubbish no matter what you did.

Mario's Black Cat had in the meantime become a cherished institution. Enterprising young men and women began to open cafes all around Melbourne's affluent and trendy suburbs, importing espresso machines from Italy. The coffee revolution had reached maximum penetration, and by 2000, even McDonalds served something approaching a decent coffee.

Back in 1990 that beloved Italian migrant died in St Vincents Hospital, with a view of Fitzroy and Mario's Black Cat out his window. Sadly, a huge stack of espresso cups had fallen on him, and the wound turned septic. The whole of Melbourne seemed to have turned out for his funeral, and there was an honor guard of waiters as the casket made its journey to the small cemetery where he now lies, a fresh espresso placed on his tombstone every morning. 20 November, the date of his arrival in Melbourne, is now a Public Holiday, where the tradition is to drink an espresso and eat a small biscotti in his honor.

I purchased some Donald Trump embossed toilet paper today.

--------------------
Human

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Good gracious, where! I want some!

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, OK, simontoad. You had weird expectations. [Biased]

Americans (and Canadians, thanks to the Loyalists) have been drinking coffee since 1776. The Boston Tea Party was not just a myth, it precipitated a consumer boycott that changed American cuisine forever.

American coffee is traditionally either brewed or percolated, espresso is a "funny Italian thing".

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know about Canada, but does anybody seriously drink perocolated coffee, outside of certain churches who have yet to switch over to 20th century technology? The coffemaker of choice in the US is the Keurig, and second choice is Mr. Coffee, both are drip brewing systems. That's for people who make their own and don't buy coffee-flavored milk drinks at places like Starbucks or their imitators. (I say this as a fiercely proud Seattleite.)

But percolators? It is to laugh.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Eek!] Have you never seen one of those big-ass percolator coffee urns at church??? [Eek!]

ETA: okay, I see your reference to antiquated churches. And here was I proud that we were at least not like those instant coffee users, publicans and tax collectors that they are...

[ 21. September 2016, 03:53: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Serious question before leaving tangent: How in the hell does one make coffee for 200 people using a Keurig or Mr. Coffee thingy? I've never seen them larger than enough to deal with a small office.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Serious question before leaving tangent: How in the hell does one make coffee for 200 people using a Keurig or Mr. Coffee thingy? I've never seen them larger than enough to deal with a small office.

Do you think banquet halls or grand hotels -- of the sort that make meals for 200 guests at a time -- use giant percolators? Be interesting to know, wouldn't it?

ETA: Our church has two Bunn restaurant-grade side-by-side drip machines, so 4 pots can be made simultaneously, and many many insulated carafes. (kinda like this).

[ 21. September 2016, 04:16: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

For those who are interested an organization called ScienceDebate has gotten the various campaigns to answer 20 questions related to science and technology. This may help decide which candidate best understands the coffee-making technologies of the future and how we get from here to there.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Godwin, I know. But ordinary people supported Hitler.

And they are doing it again. Trump can sink no lower, no more illogical, no more narcissistic and still he's getting votes. This isn't an ordinary election where both candidates try to appeal to the middle ground and need to show who has the better grasp of policy or managerial competence... one candidate appeals to populist anger, derision of elites and simplistic throw-away lines, the other, despite her weaknesses, stands for civilized public life.

It's a very stark choice but in the end if the American people want the first option with varying degrees of rationalization that's what they'll get. The rest of the world will get it too.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Trump can sink no lower, no more illogical, no more narcissistic and still he's getting votes.

Um, why in the world do you assume he can't get any worse?
[Confused]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
[Eek!] Have you never seen one of those big-ass percolator coffee urns at church??? [Eek!]

ETA: okay, I see your reference to antiquated churches. And here was I proud that we were at least not like those instant coffee users, publicans and tax collectors that they are...

No, St Sanity uses plungers - very easy to make the coffee and to clean up after. Also easy to use 2 plungers for a small service and 4 or 5 for a larger one. Sorry, never heard of Keurig or Mr Coffee

Simontoad, not just Fitzroy fortunately. At weekends, Madame and I often go to a local coffee shop owned by a grandson of a Greek migrant who landed here in the mid fifties to set up an espresso shop in the CBD. I can remember being taken there in school holidays. The family no longer has that shop of course, but did branch out into blending and selling their own roasts, and also an instant. The grandson owns 3 or 4 shops scattered around the North Shore as well as one at Cammeray.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hosting/

No more coffee tangents please.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Former president George H.W. Bush (Dubya's dad) said he's voting for *Hillary*!

[Yipee] [Killing me]

Have you got a link for that, GK?

And with all respect for your joy, Goldie - look, you guys, just all of youse, please keep it together - and please go and vote for Hills, and en masse. Who laughs last and all that...! We ain't there yet! [Ultra confused]

Thank you muchly. The World.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Trump can sink no lower, no more illogical, no more narcissistic and still he's getting votes.

Um, why in the world do you assume he can't get any worse?
[Confused]

Indeed. It's atrumpcalyptic.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
simontoad said
quote:
They are both well educated Reagan Democrats

Uhh...Generally, Democrats did NOT support Reagan, who was a right wing Republican.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Wes--

"George H.W. Bush to vote for Hillary Clinton: A Kennedy outs a Bush who favors a Clinton." (Politico)

I hope she (Kathleen Kennedy) has it right!

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A very simple question. It's something as a foreigner I can't understand.

Why do many Americans attack Mrs Clinton so much for lying when Mr Trump seems to have no relationship with the truth at all?

Or to put it a bit differently. Given that lying is proclaimed as a black mark, when faced with a choice between someone who has sometimes lied, and someone who lies all the time, why choose the person who lies all the time?

Or, if one does not hold lying against one person, what is the logic in holding it against another?

[ 21. September 2016, 08:58: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Post-truth politics (don't think the link is paywalled...).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

[snip]

Or, if one does not hold lying against one person, what is the logic in holding it against another?

Really? "As a foreigner" you can't understand why human beings aren't logical?

What planet did you say you were from, again?

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's one thing to note that human beings aren't logical. It's an entirely different thing to understand why we aren't logical.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Not a coffee comment - honest!]

Simontoad:
quote:
After a long long time the British felt that this wog coffee might have something to it.
One of the things that surprised, when I lived near Melbourne for three years, is that "wog" was not considered an offensive word. Here in the UK I reckon it's on a level with "nigger", certainly I haven't heard either word for years. Oh, and over here it was used of people from the Indian subcontinent, mainly.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
simontoad said
quote:
They are both well educated Reagan Democrats

Uhh...Generally, Democrats did NOT support Reagan, who was a right wing Republican.

"Reagan Democrat" is a term used to describe the group of largely white traditionally Democratic voters who voted for Reagan in 1980 and 1984. It's generally considered the culmination of the Southern Strategy. Virtually all of the "Reagan Democrats" are now simply "Republicans".

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There are theories for Trump's peculiar appeal. This one is getting some play today.

I believe that racism also is a factor. If Obama were not president (two terms!) the sense of grievance would be somewhat less. There is a sense among angry white people that this is their last chance, and Trump is careful to stoke that fear. If you want to know more, google 'alt right' and then step back. Wear overshoes.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh, and classic hardy perennial prejudices like Antisemitism. I am not sure how the haters of Jews assume that the Tiny Fingered One is their partisan (won't Ivanka and her Jewish husband have a couple things to say about that?) but I suppose hate, like love, is everywhere.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

Why do many Americans attack Mrs Clinton so much for lying when Mr Trump seems to have no relationship with the truth at all?

Seriously? It is a human trait to believe/ignore things to our own perceived benefit.
The Trump phenomenon is extreme, but not unique.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

That lovely photograph of a bowl of Skittles that Donald Jr. used to tweet about poisonous refugees? Not only did he use the photograph without permission, it seems it was taken by a refugee.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A number of Hollywood celebs have put up a video urging people to register and vote. It's quite funny, and only a little risque.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
"Reagan Democrat" is a term used to describe the group of largely white traditionally Democratic voters who voted for Reagan in 1980 and 1984. It's generally considered the culmination of the Southern Strategy. Virtually all of the "Reagan Democrats" are now simply "Republicans".

A bit one-dimensional. In California there were a significant number of Reagan Democrats who voted for him for economic reasons. The Silicon Valley benefited greatly from the significant increase in military spending.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Brenda, the toilet paper is embossed with Trump's face and various of his slogans. We got it at a lolly/joke shop in the Riverside Concourse Mall in New Orleans. I can't remember the name of the shop, and we turfed the bag and receipt this morning, as our holiday comes to a close tomorrow night. Incidentally, at the shop I also managed to slip a giant turd past my wife to give to my nephews. She never lets me buy the really gross things.

Today, you could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw a Hilary banner on a giant house in the Garden district of New Orleans. Other posters were mostly for elected judicial positions.

As regards coffee in other Australian cities, it is my belief that true coffee emanated from Melbourne and slowly dispersed around the country. It's the same with music, real football, soccer and comedy. I am painfully aware, on the edge of my consciousness, that there are facts in the way of my belief, but like Donald and his supporters I manage to ignore inconvenient truths.

At lunch today the first espresso was a bit bitter, but the second was perfection itself.

Oh yes. 'Wog' is extremely offensive. I think I used it in the mouth of someone in the 1970's, and it was intended in its offensive sense in that context.

In the 1980's a group of second-generation Greek and Italian comedians turned this around by forming the hugely successful Wogs Out Of Work. Due largely to their body of work, 'Wog' is now a badge of honor among people liable to be abused with that term. As an Australian with an English/Irish background it would not be acceptable for me to use that term, generally speaking.

--------------------
Human

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Good gracious, where! I want some!

With all the tacky souvenir stands and shops in Washington DC, you must be able to find some! I saw just about everything except toilet paper, promoting both candidates, when I visited last spring.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've seen it on Amazon. It may be on Ebay also.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I've seen it on Amazon. It may be on Ebay also.

There have been lots of accusations flying around that Hillary uses a body double, especially after her dizzy spell and recovery last week. I certainly hope that the fifth illustration is a body double!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016