homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: In, out, in, out; EU Referendum thread. (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  35  36  37 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: In, out, in, out; EU Referendum thread.
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Three months for the Leave campaign to destroy itself in a civil war over the competing and mutually exclusive promises they made. A lot of blood on the carpet before someone comes out in front as the defining vision for the UK outside the EU - and then many of those who voted to leave will feel betrayed because what they voted for won't be happening.

[Overused] (This is when we need a 'like' feature here!) Alan sums up the essentials. What a mess!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Oo-er, oo-er.
Looking on with amazement from the other side of the world.
[Eek!]

Does this mean another wall across the north?

All 32 regions of Scotland voted to remain in the EU. Being pulled out of the EU against our will is a disaster for us.

I have no appetite for another referendum; I dread what will happen next.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're all in for a rough ride.
[Votive]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I go back to my earlier post: maybe now those people at the EU Commission and some prominent EU leaders

I suspect that history will not look kindly on the actions of both Schauble and Merkel, faced with multiple crisises they have in every instance adopted an approach that was all stick and no carrot.

Of course we have suffered less from this than the rest of the EU, and have our own political circumstances to thank for the situation we now find ourselves in.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by NEQ:
All 32 regions of Scotland voted to remain in the EU. Being pulled out of the EU against our will is a disaster for us.

My first thought was "Oh God, what have we done".
The second was "Please God, not another indyref"

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at the financial world, the FTSE 100 index is going back up, the pound is steadying.

Meanwhile, the DAX and other European stock markets are showing much larger falls than London.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Meanwhile, the DAX and other European stock markets are showing much larger falls than London.

Which just goes to show that not only has this ill-conceived referendum, with an undefined question and a meaningless result, screwed the UK economy it's also screwed the economies of the rest of the EU.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

My first thought was much the same.
My second was "What happens to my sister-in-law?" [Ultra confused] She's Polish, married to an Anglo-Scot.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TP is rubbing his hands and hourly checking the price of all the books in his on-line shopping basket. I suspect that because of your blasted referendum we will have to buy another bookcase.

Your hurricane is my butterfly.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Looking at the financial world, the FTSE 100 index is going back up, the pound is steadying.

Dead cat bounce?
quote:

You mention that as if it's a good thing [Disappointed]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
opaWim
Shipmate
# 11137

- Posted      Profile for opaWim   Email opaWim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
posted by NEQ:

Indeed, what have you done.

The damage the Brexit-voters inflict on themselves is one thing, the damage they inflict on the rest of the EU is downright egotistical, irresponsible hooliganism. Above all it moves the world significantly closer to complete destabilization. Definitely not Britain's finest hour.

As for Scotland, after the next independence referendum, they will be warmly welcomed into the EU.

[ 24. June 2016, 10:31: Message edited by: opaWim ]

Posts: 524 | From: The Marshes | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sturgeon says she expects to protect the position of Scotland in the EU, and has said that Saddiq Khan wants the same for London.

Preparing the legislation required for a second referendum if that's what it takes. Overall, repeatedly said she is determined that they will stay in the EU. But referendum highly likely....

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see that Frank Field has said that Labour voters who voted Leave, are protesting against globalization. I would think also austerity and immigration. It's a moot point whether a Boris or Gove government will reduce these things, they may even increase.

Last night, I knew the game was up when Sheffield voted Leave, and before that, Sunderland. And then a whole string of towns across the North, Wigan, Oldham, Bury, Blackpool, and so on. Gordon Bennett.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, the people who voted for an exit are actually people. A huge swath of them if you look at the map based on local results.

Somebody really should be asking them why, as against assuming the why is what the leaders of the exit were/are saying.

On another note, I've seen a few things out there indicating this is a generational split as well. I'd be a bit more cautious about this, given that the idea is based on exit polls that seemed to have gotten the whole thing wrong.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I see that Frank Field has said that Labour voters who voted Leave, are protesting against globalization. I would think also austerity and immigration. It's a moot point whether a Boris or Gove government will reduce these things, they may even increase.

Last night, I knew the game was up when Sheffield voted Leave, and before that, Sunderland. And then a whole string of towns across the North, Wigan, Oldham, Bury, Blackpool, and so on. Gordon Bennett.

I thought Gordon Bennett was one of the few northern towns to vote remain? Are you confusing it with Royston Vasey?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We stayed up til 4.30am. Didn't really intend to just got caught up in it.
It was the consistency and weight of the Leave vote coming in constituency after constituency that made me realise the People had spoken as it were.

It feels odd this morning. Personally I am no jubilant, others who have worked exceedingly hard at this have every right to be. Someone has said 'make the best of it'. That might make a good sig.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Og: The problem is that, as I recently heard in a conversation with a politician, the "no" vote covers a multitude of nos. There is no single Brexit policy. There are a whole load of reasons in favour of "no", some of which Marvin has eloquently summed up here, but some of them are conflicting and few of the good ones formed part of the Leave campaign.

By making its campaign a nasty one, Leave has legitimised the nastier and less sensible arguments. I am very doubtful whether it can deliver on all or any of its promises. Now all of us in Europe - and in that I include the UK - will reap the whirlwind.

[ 24. June 2016, 11:24: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a day of general political bitterness, one spot of good cheer. Donald Trump is in Scotland and as is being greeted by smiling Scots waving flags, and dancing to the merry sound of a mariachi band.
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm - a no confidence vote in Jeremy Corbyn from among the parliamentary Labour party.

--------------------

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Og: The problem is that, as I recently heard in a conversation with a politician, the "no" vote covers a multitude of nos. There is no single Brexit policy. There are a whole load of reasons in favour of "no", some of which Marvin has eloquently summed up here, but some of them are conflicting and few of the good ones formed part of the Leave campaign.

By making its campaign a nasty one, Leave has legitimised the nastier and less sensible arguments. I am very doubtful whether it can deliver on all or any of its promises. Now all of us in Europe - and in that I include the UK - will reap the whirlwind.

Bits of the Leave campaign were nasty - some of it very reasonable. The Remain campaign was depressingly negative. At the end it was borderline hysteria. There's plenty of Greeks and out of work young people in Italy who reckon they''re reaping the (EU) whirlwind already.

The U K will come out of this OK - we've got longstanding economic and social relationships outside Europe. I'm with you on being concerned about the impact on the rest of Europe.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OpaWim:

quote:
The damage the Brexit-voters inflict on themselves is one thing, the damage they inflict on the rest of the EU is downright egotistical, irresponsible hooliganism.
I think I'd have voted against Brexit were I a British voter. That said, I'm not convinced that it's the obligation of the UK to consider the well-being of other countries when making the decision about whether to stay or go. If a nation doesn't think that membership is serving its needs, they should be well within their rights to leave.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
On a day of general political bitterness, one spot of good cheer. Donald Trump is in Scotland and as is being greeted by smiling Scots waving flags, and dancing to the merry sound of a mariachi band.

LOL. You know...if you'd keep Trump over there, we'd have room for one of your political miscreants. They wouldn't be able to be president, so no serious danger to us. Perhaps both could be put to work picking up trash?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Trump has tweeted that the place (Scotland) is going wild over the (Brexit) vote.

The mariachi band isn't celebrating Brexit, Donald!

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord, have mercy upon them, for they know not what they have done.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:
Sturgeon says she expects to protect the position of Scotland in the EU, and has said that Saddiq Khan wants the same for London.

The "Leave" position seems to be that leaving would allow the UK to avoid the parts of EU membership it didn't like but retain the bits it found convenient. I came across two bits of information highlighting this today.

First, Cornwall is seeking reassurance that it will still receive EU grants (or equivalent subsidies from the UK, the article isn't entirely clear).

The other fact was that Cornwall voted 57/43 in favor of "Leave".

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

The "Leave" position seems to be that leaving would allow the UK to avoid the parts of EU membership it didn't like but retain the bits it found convenient. I came across two bits of information highlighting this today.

First, Cornwall is seeking reassurance that it will still receive EU grants (or equivalent subsidies from the UK, the article isn't entirely clear).

This would be comical, if it wasn't so grim. Deprived areas seem to be in a schizoid position, saying fuck off to the EU, but also saying, please help us, as we are deprived. But who are they saying this to now? Ah yes, a right wing Tory government. Now that does make sense.

--------------------

lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

I'm not quite sure whether London wants the bankers or not, but Morgan Stanley has started moving 2,000 of them out, to Dublin or Frankfurt.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, we can't - but we won't have to: sooner or later sanity will prevail because the intrinsic value of the companies hasn't altered significantly and it makes no sense to behave as if they have.

Except of course there is a very real chance that the EU will take the democratically expressed wish of the English and Welsh people at their word and tell them to get out of the Single Market like the English and Welsh people told them to.
The intrinsic value of a business that can't sell anything is little more than the office furniture.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The positive bit of this unholy mess is that no-one is disputing fundamentally the legitmacy of the result or the obligation of the government to enact article 50. It was a clear,if close, vote on a high turnout.

I wanted to remain, but what I want more is not to have major civil unrest over this. Which is what would happen if Westminster tried to ignore the result.

I think Cameron is sensible both to resign and give a timeline for a new prime minister. If he hadn't resigned then when he was going to would have continued to be an absolutely massive distraction, and if he had resigned with immediate effect it would have destabilised the economic situation further.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

quote:
I'm not quite sure whether London wants the bankers or not, but Morgan Stanley has started moving 2,000 of them out, to Dublin or Frankfurt.

Hmm - or maybe they haven't.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Hmm - or maybe they haven't.
Indeed, the problem with social media is the potential for needless scaremongering.

In a world where there are plenty of real things to be scared of, why are people starting false stories alongside the real ones (not you lowlands_boy)?

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
opaWim
Shipmate
# 11137

- Posted      Profile for opaWim   Email opaWim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
The U K will come out of this OK - we've got longstanding economic and social relationships outside Europe.

Maybe Great-Britain (minus Scotland) will come out of this O.K., but trade with one of the larger consumer markets will be harder and less profitable, and London will no longer be one of the major financial centers in the world.
In the end it all depends on the definition of "O.K.", of course.

quote:
I'm with you on being concerned about the impact on the rest of Europe.
Thank you.
We will most likely sustain substantially less damage than the U.K. itself.

--------------------
It's the Thirties all over again, possibly even worse.

lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

Well, the BBC were citing "sources in the bank" - a quick google on it only really shows hits from mainstream media....

--------------------

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The "Leave" position seems to be that leaving would allow the UK to avoid the parts of EU membership it didn't like but retain the bits it found convenient. ...
Ya'll need a clarity act. Not that this is really enforceable.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by opaWim:
London will no longer be one of the major financial centers in the world.

Do you really think London will be allowed to fail?

It could depend on what big businesses or financial institutions see as the future of the EU. If they feel that the EU is likely to crumble away within, say, 10 years, they might think it's better to have a head start in a fairly stable country, rather than heading to France or Germany where they could be facing another referendum, or the collapse of a government, in due course.

[ 24. June 2016, 14:59: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Ya'll need a clarity act. Not that this is really enforceable.

I would suggest a Reality Act, but that would be rejected as too few would be able to grasp the concept.

[ 24. June 2016, 15:03: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

Who's going to step in and save it?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Quite sad to see the voting by age figures. The young voting quite heavily for Remain, and older people for Leave. The young being sacrificed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

--------------------

opaWim
Shipmate
# 11137

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

It could depend on what big businesses or financial institutions see as the future of the EU. If they feel that the EU is likely to crumble away within, say, 10 years, they might think it's better to have a head start in a fairly stable country, rather than heading to France or Germany where they could be facing another referendum, or the collapse of a government, in due course.

Well, of course the EU minus Great-Britain might crumble as a result of the Brexit. I wouldn't count on it though. But if it does, who would still need London as a major financial center?
In that scenario London as a financial center would inevitably downsize to more provincial proportions.

And then again, it is not a matter of allowing London to fail. The question will be if it useful/profitable to keep it up. If the customers stay away, what's the use of maintaining the institutions that used to service these customers?

# 3200

quote:
Quite sad to see the voting by age figures. The young voting quite heavily for Remain, and older people for Leave. The young being sacrificed?

Twitter is full of Gen X and Millennial rage about this today.

Mind you, Twitter is generally full of Gen X and Millennial rage every day. [Biased]

--------------------

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Trump has tweeted that the place (Scotland) is going wild over the (Brexit) vote.

WHERE IN SCOTLAND DID THEY FIND A MARIACHI BAND?

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Or, as this twitpic put it "those who must live with the result of the EU referendum the longest want to remain".

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile one of our national embarrassments has reported that the UK have voted to leave the United Nations.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We will most likely sustain substantially less damage than the U.K. itself.

I'm really not so sure. Right now the FTSE is down 3 point something percent, and the CAC40 down by over 8. Plus the risk of contagion.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Meanwhile one of our national embarrassments has reported that the UK have voted to leave the United Nations.

Oh, for fuck's sake

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Or, as this twitpic put it "those who must live with the result of the EU referendum the longest want to remain".
Single biggest argument against the NHS. Damn old people

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen two news clips today of people who voted Leave, but who today are saying basically that it was a protest vote, they didn't expect Leave to win, and they're regretting it. [brick wall]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Cornwall is seeking reassurance that it will still receive EU grants (or equivalent subsidies from the UK, the article isn't entirely clear).

This ties in with what I posted here months ago about people simply not realising what the EU contributes financially to the UK (or should I say contributed?).

I have worked on an EU INTERREG project in which Cornwall was a participating region. The EU provided match funding (eg to match funding from local government or UK lottery money) for tourism-related infrastructure projects. That project is over now; I assume any ongoing projects will receive promised funding through to the end of the project, but the tap will undoubtedly be turned off after that.

I also find myself wondering about my interpreter colleagues in Brussels with only British nationality. They and many others working for EU institutions will doubtless be out of a job soon, by virtue of their nationality. Interpreters who are Irish nationals, however, will be having a field day, and I would think now would be a good time to invest in real estate suitable for financial services companies to lease in Dublin.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
quote:

WHERE IN SCOTLAND DID THEY FIND A MARIACHI BAND?
I gather an appeal for Mexican musicians was put out on social media, and got a good response!
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I've seen two news clips today of people who voted Leave, but who today are saying basically that it was a protest vote, they didn't expect Leave to win, and they're regretting it. [brick wall]

That's why we have a two-round presidential election in France. The idea is to get rid of all the spleen in the first round before getting round to the serious business of actually electing a president.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  35  36  37 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016