homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Geek Bail-Out: it's computering question time! 2016 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Geek Bail-Out: it's computering question time! 2016
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I have a Nook ereader, bought because it wasn't Amazon. Now Barnes and Noble are pulling out from the UK.
I had thought, no problem, I can still borrow ebooks from the library, buy from Waterstones, or stick pdfs on it from other sources. I've put all my folk song repertoire which I used to have on my Palm Pilot on it.
But earlier this week, someone on the radio said that from mid-May, the thing will turn into a lump of flint, and be totally useless.
Is this true?
And, if so, why are they allowed to do this?

It doesn't look as if what you have gleaned from the radio is quite correct. Marketing Magazine's article seems to indicate that Sainsbury's is picking up the business and that most content will still be available. An earlier evolution of this story on techradar.com suggests this story is fast-evolving.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, thanks, so the radio story was off. I have connected with Sainsburys, though done nothing there yet. I see from the one comment on the first link that downloading via Adobe Digital Editions still works, which is what I thought I would be able to do, and I can't understand what the woman is moaning about. That way, the book is stored on both my computer and my Nook, and no-one is going to wipe it. Except, possibly, me. I'm not really bothered about earlier purchases from B&N - quite a few I would be happy to lose. On paper, they'd have gone to Oxfam.

[ 14. April 2016, 15:27: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Penny S - even if, at some point, the online service is withdrawn you SHOULD still be able to use the Nook. I don't have one, but I assume you can connect it to a local PC and move files between the two devices.

'Calibre' is well recognised software for managing e-books on a PC, and also has the capability of copying an e-book into another format, including removing the 'DRM' (Digital Rights Management) encryption from Amazon e-books, and possibly other 'DRM' also.

You can use Calibre to organise copies of all your ebooks on a PC, so you have backups, and can swap ebooks off your Nook to make room for others.

It has to be said that Calibre does take a bit of learning, but don't be intimidated. If you really struggle, hopefully there is a helpful person available to encourage into handling/teaching.

http://tinyurl.com/j376klh

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can Calibre (or anything else) be used to get my purchased Nook books permanently on to my computer, so as B & N / Nook can't wipe them / hold them hostage / go out of business and leave me screwed?

I used to have permanent electronic copies before they quietly changed their model and left me essentially a renter. [Mad]

Also, I seem to be having a font problem with my Galaxy tablet. It pulls up Bible Gateway, but refuses to render the Greek vowels anymore--just gives me empty spaces. Any idea of a fix?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lamb Chopped - have a look at this and see what you think

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/277226-calibre

Calibre is 'free' open-source software, so no financial charge, though you can probably make a donation, and is well supported, so you should find most/all the answers you need on Calibre's website.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You have hours left.

Here is an old page with some tips, never tried them, don't know if they work.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to that, the deadline was a month ago today. [Waterworks] Must google to find out what's going on now...

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for those links and comments.

So, I've been fiddling around - I have managed to unarchive stored books. According to the manual, archived books were stored somewhere cloudy, so obviously that's accessible. (Unless they were actually stored on the device.) The shop setting goes nowhere, and I can't find out how to direct it to Sainsburys. Presumably I can do that on the computer.

Things I acquired via the computer are on that - though I had to go into backup locations to retrieve them.

Panic basically over.

[ 15. April 2016, 07:32: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Sainsburys is working through Adobe Digital Editions, not direct from the Nook.

Am I bovvered?

What I do wish, though, is that books which fall into my "read and pass on" category could be removed from the records. I'm not really keen to have it obvious to any hacker that I went through a phase of reading Dr who quite that recently.

[ 15. April 2016, 09:12: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have an elderly laptop that was running Windows 7, but it had slowed down a lot recently and I decided to completely reinstall the system from my original disk. That went ok, and when I went on line it downloaded a few updates, but it doesn't appear to have downloaded Service Packs 1 and 2 which it had before. How can I make it do that, do I have to go to the Microsoft website and find them?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here goes: Clickedyclick. There ain't no service pack 2 for Windows 7. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a Gmail account I use primarily for work. I also use Google Calendar on my iPad and smartphone. Whenever anyone sends me an email to my Gmail account that contains a date & time in the text it automatically puts an entry in my calendar. How do I stop it doing this?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Whenever anyone sends me an email to my Gmail account that contains a date & time in the text it automatically puts an entry in my calendar. How do I stop it doing this?

Like this.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell on the Windows 10 thread in Hell
OK, mine was set to install recommended updates. So, by rights it should have upgraded to Windows 10 automatically, but hasn't. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I've just changed it so it will download them, but let me choose whether to install them.

I am computer-illiterate and I want to avoid Windows 10. I currently have Windows 7, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I don't understand at all what Alan did, but I want to do it. Would someone please give me step-by-step directions in words of one syllable.

Thanks.

Moo

--------------------

[ 17. May 2016, 12:15: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, you'll need to be an admin to do this, but if it's a home computer and you don't know what you're doing, you probably are [Smile]

To change your Windows Update settings:

• click on the 'Start' (Windows flag) button
  • in the search box type "windows update"
  • at the top of the list you should find "Windows Update" - click on it (left button)
  • in Windows Update look on the left hand sidebar and click "Change Settings"
  • in the drop-down select the option you want - probably "Download but let me choose whether to install them" or "Notify but don't download"
  • de-select "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" if it is selected (although W10 has just been promoted to Important [Frown] )
  • Click OK and confirm things as many times as you need to

Bear in mind that the above alone will not necessarily stop you getting W10, or getting the prompts for it. You can take further measures against it, vis:

Remove the "Get Windows 10" (GWX) icon
To do this:

• click Start
  • open Control Panel
  • under "Programs" click "Uninstall a program"
  • in the left-hand sidebar click "View installed updates"
  • in "Search installed updates" (top right) search for "KB3035583"
  • If it's found in the list (it will be the only item) remove it by clicking on it and choosing "Uninstall" at the top of the list
  • Reboot after uninstalling

You may still have the icon in the System Tray, in which case you'll need to hide it, or use GWX Control Panel to manage it.

Bear in mind that this particular update has a habit of re-appearing, even if you hide it from the update list, so when checking which updates to allow to download and install, scan for it each time. Sneaky sods.

Prevent W10 stealth-downloading in the background
This only applies to non-Home versions of Windows 7. If you're using Home you can't edit the policy. But if you have Pro or greater:

• Click Start
  • Type "gpedit.msc" in the search box
  • Click on gpedit.msc in the list
  • Expand the following tree: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  • On the right-hand side click "Setting" to sort the list by name
  • Double-click on "Turn off the upgrade to latest version of Windows through Windows Update" policy item
  • Choose "Enabled" and then click OK

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Moo, you may wish to explore using 'GWX Control Panel', which by all accounts is effective:

http://tinyurl.com/qauay2q

I can't vouch for it myself as I don't use Windows, but it is reportedly very effective.

[for the record, this is a copy and paste of an earlier post]

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snags, thank you for your very detailed instructions. I changed the Windows Update settings as you suggested, and I trust this will keep me from being hijacked by Windows 10.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I'm trying to make sense of my storage, on external hard drives and a network drive attached to my router. There are lots of duplicates because I have been very careful to make sure I have adequate backups. I want to cut them down to one of each on each device, and sort the folders sensibly.

I've been using Auslogics' program, but it can't see the network drive, and now can't see any non-photo documents. It's very good for photos and a few odd other types. But I need to find duplicates of MS Office and OpenOffice files, pdfs and so on, and this program can't see them.

Does anyone know a good, safe program which will do this?

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have windows 10 on my laptop. Recently the start icon on the lower left corner of the screen, has stopped working. In other words, I click on it and nothing happens. That's the icon that's supposed to open up the list of programs on the computer so I can access them, and the settings and power and etc.

Any ideas what's happened? Everything else seems to be working.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Never mind the above problem, I found a fix on-line and it's OK now.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've bought myself a cheap old DELL Vostro 1540 laptop which is reasonably fast, has got a nice SSD, and is ok to work with, although of course definitely not a high end model.

Doing a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64bit plus most drivers and programmes I wanted went as planned (I have successfully done this with several other machines). Most drivers were downloadable from the DELL Vostro 1540 dedicated support pages.

There are two problems I'm facing now, however:

Problem #1 is that for the life of me I can't seem to find a graphics driver for the native 1366x768 resolution; instead all I get is 1024x768 max.

Problem #2 is that the DELL Quick Set for the machine appears not to work, and therefore I can't change the screen brightness; neither is there any brightness setting in the Control Panel, it seems.

All this I find a bit baffling. I shall investigate further, but: if any of you have any suggestions, it'd be warmly appreciated! [Confused]

Thank you!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is something I have never understood, -- tonight my internet is working (obviously or I wouldn't be able to post) but my Wi-Fi isn't. What is the difference?

I am, technologically speaking, a Bear of very Little Brain, please could someone explain this in easily understood language?

Huia

[ 02. June 2016, 09:26: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Huia, if your computer is plugged into the router with a cable (an Ethernet connection) then Wifi is irrelevant.

If your computer has no physical connection to a router and it is able to access the internet then either the notification saying that WiFi is down is wrong, or your computer has connected itself to someone else's WiFi (possibly even your mobile phone, if it's set to act as a 'WiFi hotspot'), OR, it's a miracle!

You should be able to open the app that controls/monitors your connections (should be somewhere in the tray on the taskbar) and see what connection is actually being made.

[Smile]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a desktop - connected to a modem and plugged into the wall. It has no connection to my mobile phone, which isn't a hotspot.

But I would be grateful if someone could answer my original question without baffling me with science, thanks.

Huia

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
It's a desktop - connected to a modem and plugged into the wall. It has no connection to my mobile phone, which isn't a hotspot.

But I would be grateful if someone could answer my original question without baffling me with science, thanks.

WiFi is wireless networking. It means your computer talks to your cable modem (and thence the internet) with radio waves.

You have a network cable running between your computer and your cable modem. You don't need wireless networking, because you've got a wire, and that's what you're using to connect to the internet.

Your computer has the ability to connect to a wireless network, but you don't have it connected to one (because you don't need to, because you have a wire). That's why it's telling you that WiFi isn't working.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Ok, thanks LC. I usually have a wifi connection, but now I understand more why the internet can work without it.

Unfortunately the kindle needs it to download new books., but I can temporarily use the one t the library and then contact my provider for about the 5th time this year [Roll Eyes] to fix things.

May was a good month - no problems whatsoever. I knew it was too good to last. (To be fair, most of the problems have been caused by road or wastewater people digging up or through the cables in their hurry to remediate earthquake damage). I began to recognise the call phone number of the lines worker in this area , who called me more often than any of my friends [Frown]

Huia

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a problem and I'm not sure exactly how to describe it without going into a sort of long story. I will strive to stick to the facts, however and not throw in unnecessary verbiage!

Okay, here's the problem: When I moved from one area of the country to the other coast, I had my sister pack up my laptop on the day I got my flight. She took it to FedEx and they packed it up for her. I had forgotten about the little U.S.B. stick for the mouse. I guess it's a u.s.b. stick...it had a slot it fit into, anyway. Apparently the people at FedEx also didn't see the mouse thing and just shipped it. Somewhere in transit, the u.s.b. stick broke off and there is now a tiny card stuck in it. This was for a wireless mouse, by the way. So, I tried to get my Dell laptop to recognize the mouse when I finally unpacked it but it wouldn't work. Thinking it might be a battery problem, I replaced them. Nope, still didn't work. I tried to pull out that tiny card or whatever it is still stuck in the slot but even with pliers, it is really in there!

HELP! What do I do? I'm afraid to exert too much pressure with another kind of pliers because I don't want to damage the slot, obviously. Please, somebody, tell me what to do.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

The5thMary, the thing stuck in the USB slot is hopefully just the remains of the wireless 'dongle' for your mouse (it transmits and receives the signals between your mouse and the laptop). You will need to remove the remains, probably with some needle nose pliers - just quietly work it out. There will probably be a metal sleeve from the USB stick still stuck inside the USB socket. The sleeve will, once you've got a grip on it, pull out just as it usually does when attached to the part that has broken off and bring with it the internal bits that are now hanging out.

You may be able to buy a replacement Wifi stick to match the mouse, but it may be easier just to buy another wireless mouse.

Even if the USB socket on the laptop is actually damaged, a new mouse, with its USB unit pushed into another of your laptop's sockets, should work fine.

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a very mysterious problem, wondering if anyone has seen something like it before.

The computer concerned is 2006 Toshiba Satellite L30 - 10S, operating system is puppy linux slacko 5.7 which I can run either from the hard drive or from a CD. The problem occurs either way.

I have been using this set up with no problems for about 9 months. I don't know much about linux, just using it as a way to use an old computer as I don't have a lot of money.

Starting yesterday I found that both the mouse and keyboard are behaving strangely. The mouse can select icons from the desktop and menu items to start up applications. But it can't interact either with a browser or with applications, except to close them. If I try to click on any button, menu item, dropdown box nothing happens at all.

As for the keyboard, it won't type anything in the browser address bar. If I open up a text editor and try to type, it selects menu items which begin with the letter I have typed rather than entering text.

Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour before ?

( I have switched to my reserve computer, 1999 compaq deskpro, to type this ! )

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

@Moonlitdoor - as you say the problem occurs whether you use the operating system off the hard drive or a CD, that suggests the problem is not a software problem (as the CD data is fixed and hugely unlikely to become corrupted in the same way and at the same time as the hard drive).

That suggests the problem is actually with the computer itself, either with the hardware module that handles the connections for the mouse and keyboard (USB or PS/2), or possibly a ROM (Read Only Memory) module related to this is failing/has failed (slightly out of my comfort zone here). Anyhow, it could be that your 10 year old computer is simply reaching the end of the road.

Unless someone here can come up with a clear cut alternative idea, you could have the PC checked by a qualified technician to see if there is a simple solution, otherwise it may turn out to be more expensive to fix than the machine is worth, e.g. replace the motherboard.

Not enormously helpful, I'm sorry, but the best I can manage with the available info.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:

That suggests the problem is actually with the computer itself,

I'd try something simpler first.

Try a different keyboard.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Your mouse and keyboard aren't connected, are they? As in, you're using a touchpad, or they are on a single cable that splits so both can share it?

--------------------

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bah! Realplayer has stopped working - possibly, we think, as a result of an update to Windows 10 a couple of days ago.

Has this happened to any other Shipmates?

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just updated my laptop to Windows 10, and followed the advice in my computer magazine to install VLC player for media. I was wondering whether it will play DVDs from Region 1 (USA) as well as Region 2 ? And if it won't is there any other app that will let me play Region 1 DVDs?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

@Sparrow, try this tutorial from Lifehacker:

http://tinyurl.com/zqo2zsv

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a couple of Facebook photo albums which are private - I am the only person who can see them. They are all very dull; for example when I had to fix my vacuum cleaner I took a series of photos as I stripped it down, so that I could reassemble it in the right order. FB photos seemed ideal as I could add comments, which I can't do with Dropbox albums.

There wouldn't be a problem per se if there was a glitch and they became public; no-one is going to blackmail me because I fixed my vacuum cleaner!

Are private FB photo albums the best way of doing this sort of thing? Or is there a better way of keeping a sequence of photos, with comments?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A few months ago I joined Cricket wireless and bought a new iPhone 5s. Everything has been hunky-dory until this morning. My problem is minor but annoying. Ever since I got the phone and got set up, I've been able to use the Voicemail icon under the phone ap where I can see a list of my voicemails, choose and hear them in any order I want. Delete them as I want. Everything is lined up across the bottom of the screen as before, left to right: Favorites, Recents, Contacts, Keypad, and lastly Voicemail. Everything works except the Voicemail. Now I touch the Voicemail icon and a white page comes up with the words "No Voicemail". There is voicemail. I can still get my voicemail by the Cricket method, pressing the "1" on the keypad, punching in my PIN, and listening to the whole bloody bunch of them with no visual reference. I don't like it. Wah! [Waterworks]

Any ideas? [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lyda*Rose, did you try a restart?

Sometimes my voicemail gives me a message that my password is incorrect, and voicemail is unavailable. I just restart the phone, and that seems to fix it. Until the next time, that is.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doh! [Hot and Hormonal]

Yes, indeed, a smart phone is a mini computer and, when in doubt, always try restart.

Worked like a charm. Thanks, jedijudy!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just received a rather vicious email and want to block the sender, but don't know how. If the advice begins with go to my account, please tell me how to find my account...

All hints warmly and gratefully received.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It depends on what your e-mail client is. Do you use Microsoft Outlook on your PC? Do you access Gmail directly through Google? Etc.

One you have identified your client, you should be able to Google "Block senders in [name of client]" and get directions that way. Or you can come back here and we'll see what we can do to help.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Amanda. In fact, after clicking on every probable and improbable button, I tried the "more" on the taskbar. And behold, there materialised a menu with "block sender" on it. So I did. [Razz]

Edited to add:
But your willingness to help is really appreciated.

[ 15. July 2016, 20:12: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Very simple question, cos I am very simple [Roll Eyes]

I have hit whichever key it is that gives me the full screen. I want to go back to showing the task bars and stuff because my screen looks naked without them. If I just go pushing PF keys I might end up anywhere.

Thanks

Edited it to say I stopped panicking and Googled it. All is well now.

Huia [Hot and Hormonal] (I didn't know you could do that) [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 19. July 2016, 08:00: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
[...] (I didn't know you could do that) [...]

What did you do then, Huia? Pray let us know! [Smile]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am constantly quite by accident hitting key combinations that do unexpected things -- like sending e-mail that I'm still composing in draft.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

f11 is the magic key to deal with a full screen. The wee pictures on the keys do indicate, but you have to be able to talk keyboard as a second language. [Frown]

In my last job I once found a screen that even the tech bloke didn't recognise - so he did the time honoured thing and pulled the plug.

Huia

[ 20. July 2016, 04:01: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I am constantly quite by accident hitting key combinations that do unexpected things -- like sending e-mail that I'm still composing in draft.

My trick to avoid that is not to put the address in, until I'm ready to send. (Or take the address out, if it's already there.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NEQ--

Maybe try Flickr for your pics?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I do that with the address too GK, it has saved me a lot of embarrassment.

The very first email I ever composed was actually sent by the cat (The Late Great Sam [Tear] ) who leapt on the keyboard while I was proof reading it.

Huia

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Late cats do that kind of thing. The lovely late Harriet once strolled across the keyboard and moved all my emails from their folders back to the inbox. No, I have no idea how.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016