homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Pot Luck: Recipes 2016 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Pot Luck: Recipes 2016
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
You'd certainly think a slow cooker ideal for all sorts of pulses, and not be the first to make that mistake. It just ain't so. They need to be soaked and cooked before adding to the pot.

It depends on exactly what pulses. Saskatchewan and Canada is producer of more lentils than any other place. Extra small red lentils, actually orange, do with a rinsing and will cook up in about 20 minutes. We have about 10 varieties locally produced. If you soak in salty water, pulses of most types will hold together more (drain and rinse before cooking). Lentils are about $1.25 per pound (£.75). We can also get them in tins which means precooked.

Rinsing removes some surface starches and mould spores associated with intestinal gas. There are many kinds of lentils. Sask lentil info

Tonight I am alone for supper. Typical Tues fare for me: One cup lentils, boiled until soft, then add 1.5 cups of sonething liquid such as soup stock, tinned tomatoes, almond milk (I don't do dairy and coconut milk is very dear here), then maybe some fried onion, mushrooms or sweet peppers. If tomato, a splash of red wine is nice in both cook and pot. Spice rule: one sweet spice to one savory. Cayenne, cinnamon, ginger, cumin is typical. I sometimes add a little dried fruit like chopped dates, raisins, apricots, or apple. Add 2/3 cup frozen veg at the end. Serve with sweet potato, potato, rice, quinoa, or bannock/bread.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also add herbs at the end. In winter, they are dried. Basil, oregano, thyme. Some who do dairy sprinkle grated cheese.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all for the jump start. I have already found many things I want to try with my bottled delight it seems. Making a chicken dish from Iran right now in the slow cooker.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my campaign to Love the Sprout I sliced them thinly and stir fried with a red chilli and a splash of soy sauce. Went well with a spicy meat loaf - beef mince, onion, bread soused in hot sauce and tomato puree, topped with parmesan and breadcrumbs.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL I had a "look what's in my fridge and figure out something to do with it" day. The result was swede with parmesan cheese and rosemary, a champignon / spring onion omelette and a beetroot salad. Not bad.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Beetroot salad on arugola with crumbled gorgonzola, candied walnuts, dried cranberries, and a light vinaigrette. Try it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made soda bread this morning for the first time in in years. 2/3 wholemeal 1/3 plain flour.

And it reminded me how nice wholemeal flour is. I really ought to use it more.

(Also made the bread with combo of yoghurt and milk as buttermilk not commonly available here. It turned out fine.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh, soda bread! Now I want a toasted soda farl with an indecent amount of butter melted into it.

Bugger. [Frown]

The French stick recipe I use has 5⅓ cups of flour, and I sometimes replace the third-of-a-cup with wholemeal flour, which gives a nice change of texture.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since it is freezing in Florida, or at least our perception of freezing, yesterday was a great day to make a pot of chili!

I browned and drained 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef.

Chopped a very large onion and sauteed it with two teaspoons chopped garlic and 12 ounces of mushroom slices.

After they were soft, I added three tablespoons of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1 teaspoon paprika, two tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, and about a quarter cup dried oregano.

Then I put four+ cups drained and rinsed black beans, four+ cups crushed tomatoes and 1 1/2 cups water. I added a teaspoon each of salt and pepper and simmered four hours.

Tasty comfort food!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, yeah, black beans are THE best for chili. I've never thought of putting in mushrooms. Hmmm. And it looks like I might have to try upping the dried oregano. Quarter cup, you say? Yikes! [Biased] I like chopped, red bell peppers in mine and half a bottle of ale rather than cocoa. Chili is one of those things where you feel really comfortable experimenting.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... about a quarter cup dried oregano ...

Quarter of a cup????

I like oregano, but that seems like one heck of a lot!

Chilli con carne was one of the first things my mum taught me to cook (it had just become fashionable in Scotland at the time), and I still use the same basic recipe - sauté onion and garlic in olive oil with a pinch of basil or herbes de Provence, add minced beef, stir and break up until beginning to brown. Add a tin of tomatoes, a squirt of tomato puree, chilli powder or crushed dried chillies to taste (not too much in my case - I'm a heat wimp), splash of red wine, tin of red kidney beans, seasoning and a square of dark chocolate if I have one. Simmer gently until the meat's cooked and has reached the desired thickness and serve with rice, a green salad and garlic bread.

I think I may have to do that some time soon ... [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oregano! Yes! Good stuff! YMMV, and all that. [Biased]

I love herbs and spices, and am not opposed to doubling amounts mentioned in recipes, as long as I do it as written the first time, then figure what needs adjusting according to taste.

In other words, I cook by the dump and pour method!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My current version uses beef mince, onion, garlic, chili (fresh and powder), cumin, oregano, beef stock - but no tomato. To serve, put plain tortilla chips in a shallow bowl, make a space in the middle for the chili, sprinkle with grated cheese and finish under a hot grill until the cheese just melts and the chips scorch slightly.
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chilli mix from the House of Chilli on the Isle of Wight augmented by Wodder's chilli. Mmmm

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never had the privilege of tasting WW's chili. When I was living in Mozambique, I had piri piri peppers in my garden. Nowadays, my favourite is Swazi Fire Sauce. Protective clothing recommended.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Extraordinarily I think I still have some unused WW chilli here. If I do I shall make you up a small packet of it and bring to the Absent Friends meet.

I can surreptitiously slide it to you via a handshake in a dark corner. ;-)

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Ooh you know that I love secret handshakes.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quarter cup of dried oregano would be too much for our tastes,and we're lucky enough to be able to grow fresh all year round - so no need to use the dried. 3 tablespoons of cumin would also be more than we'd use. Aust has nowhere near the variety of fresh chillis as the US, but the range of dried is increasing.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was leafing through a slow-cooker book the other day, and was rather taken with a recipe for lentil stew in the "Vegetarian Main Dishes" chapter, which listed the following ingredients:

Dried lentils
Frozen green beans
Cauliflower florets
Baby carrots
Cumin, ginger
Tomato sauce
Dry-roasted peanuts; and
Reduced-sodium chicken stock

Oops. [Killing me]

I've got a batch of proper chicken stock on the go at the moment: as I'm not an actual vegetarian I'll maybe try it sometime.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, I know it sounds contradictory but an Australian company named Massel make vegetarian chicken stock that is salt reduced - I have used it and as far as instant stock cubes go, it's the best. I think they do a beef one that is vegan friendly as well as a vegetable one. When I'm in a hurry it's the brand I always use, but at the moment I have the crock-pot crammed with chicken frames (the skeleton with a bit of meat) to make stock, which will be used for Chicken barley broth. (Yes, I know we're at the height of summer here, but the weather doesn't [Frown] ).

Does anyone use quinoa? I only discovered it last year because the only café in the food court that sells Twinings Earl Grey tea offers a quinoa and lentil salad. I found a similar recipe on line, but the only time I have cooked quinoa it was with rice in one of those pouches that you put into the microwave and the combination came out really gluggy. Googling recipes doesn't help much because some say to soak it in water overnight, whereas others say no soaking is necessary. The quinoa I have comes form a bulk bin, so has no instructions [Help]

Any suggestions welcome.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's a choice between just water and adding a stock cube, we'd stick with the water - or a good sloosh of dry vermouth.

That's a useful chicken stock to have Huia, light but well-flavoured and not overpowering a risotto or a delicate soup as so many stocks can. Lots of gelling to it as well make it good for chilled soups.

[ 26. January 2016, 09:15: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

The first time I cooked quinoa I followed the instructions on the pack which said something like double the volume of water, boil for 10mins, simmer for 10 mins, turn off and leave for 10mins. (Don't quote me on that.) Anyway it was a bit of a faff.

Thereafter I just bung in pan with double volume of boiling water, bring back to boil and then turn down to simmer with lid on for 15 mins. Same as for rice. Seems to work.

No need for pre-soaking.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... Does anyone use quinoa?

I haven't used it on its own, but a while back I made a sort-of risotto with Harvest Grains, which included red quinoa, and they cooked up pretty much as rice does.

Quinoa's supposed to be frightfully good for you as well, so you can eat it and feel virtuous ... [Angel]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cook quinoa, sometimes in combination with other things such as bulgar wheat, sometimes alone.

If cooking as a rice alternative I allow 3-4 ounces per person: add to boiling water with a little salt and bring back to a vigorous boil; keep on a boil for c3 minutes, then turn down low and cook for another c12 minutes.

If I'm adding it to a risotto I just use as if it were rice - in other words add to the garlic, celery, etc and sort of fry before adding stock in the usual way; then it takes about 10 minutes.

I'm not saying this is the "right" way to cook it but it seems to work for me.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As there are now but two of us at home and somehow trying to make soup for two never works out for me I have had left over soup to freeze. I have taken to marking date on freezer container but not type of soup. It was proven to be fun on a cold and rainy day to have surprise soup for a meal with warm bread. Today it looks like turkey or chicken and rice. Not sure which until we taste it.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We've always been just the two of us, and nearly every recipe we do is enough for at least 1½ if not two meals. As I'm a bit erratic in remembering to label things that go in the freezer, mystery lunch is not at all unknown chez Piglet.

D. made a v. nice risotto/paella-type thing today (part Arborio, part ordinary rice, as the Arborio was nearly finished), with chicken, sausages, mushrooms and prawns.

And I remembered to label the leftovers ... [Smile]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile] Thanks for the quinoa advice.

I took two container of frozen pumpkin soup to a friend's place when he had visitors once. One of them was frozen apricot puree, but we didn't find out until we tasted it [Hot and Hormonal] .

Huia

[ 27. January 2016, 04:12: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I did something similar, Huia. A friend invited me over for ice cream. I told her I would bring a container of strawberry sauce. It actually turned out to be cranberry sauce after it thawed!

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm giving a smoothie maker as a gift, and I want to make up a small hamper of ingredients to go with it. Apart from the obvious fruits (I've bought pineapple, strawberries and blueberries, and I know she always has bananas and apples in her fruit bowl), what should I get that won't go off too quickly? I have bought a bottle of lime juice so far.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Buy another yummy juice or fluid. How about kombucha tea?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some root ginger and a tiny jar of honey?
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I cooked Jamaican today; I don't know how I got the idea. I got ackee and callaloo from the Caribbean shop.

I cooked brown rice in coconut milk and stock with onion, garlic, thyme and Scotch bonnet pepper ( [Mad] ). I stir fried the ackee with spring onion, tomato and bell pepper. And I heated up the callaloo.

Very good!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Inspired by JJ (but with slightly less oregano), I made a pot of chilli last night and we had a couple of friends round this evening to eat it. I went completely retro, and served it with rice, salad and garlic bread (the sort where you slice it not quite through and spread the garlicky butter between the slices).

I reckon it must have been about 30 years since I last made garlic bread, but this was the first time I'd done it with a loaf that I'd made myself.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once came across a recipe for "white" chilli, made with chicken and cannellini beans. Different, but very good. I must make that again soon.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Crawling out from a bad dose of flu: for the last 10 days been subsisting largely on toast and bananas with the occasional egg.

Have now got to the stage where I can eat - but nothing appeals. What are your favourite appetite-tempting foods/recipes?

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about a nice gentle cheese on toast - make it stripey with a white, a red and a blue to tempt the eye and serve it with a properly tangy dill pickle and perhaps a nice juicy tomato - easy & nutritious.

eta: make it with a slice of crusty bread!

[ 31. January 2016, 10:04: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

There's the thing about illness - normally I hoover up cheese, but my palate is so disordered I can't look at it. And the thought of anything acidic - bleeuuu!

I am baking a batch of banana muffins in the hopes that soft and sweet hits the spot.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pickle and strong flavours probably won't cut it at this stage.

Have you considered potato cakes? Pancakes or omelettes? You may be able to grate some cheese into that, maybe add mushrooms and/or tomatoes, and if you feel up to meat, some pieces of mild ham or plain roast chicken, though I appreciate you may not have reached that stage yet.

Plain old apple pie was the one food I craved during my last flu-type cold.

[ 31. January 2016, 12:00: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scrambled eggs on toast?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Kittyville: I once came across a recipe for "white" chilli, made with chicken and cannellini beans.
I'm vegetarian, so no chicken for me. But I sometimes make a cannellini dish with blue cheese and vegetables. I usually choose vegetables that look white (more or less), so leek, asparagus, artichoke …

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright I am looking for feedback. My nephew and I had a brainstorm at Christmas and started on a chocolate dip. I am now trying it out as a healthy alternative to Nutella. Mind you give what Nutella is healthier is easy.

Recipe:
2 teaspoon of ground almonds
1 teaspoon of cocoa
1 teaspoon of oil (olive, rapeseed etc)
0.5 teaspoon of honey
0.25 teaspoon of mild chilli powder (yes really this amount, but I suspect fine without)
pinch of salt

place in cup and mix together.

I know that it goes well with crumpets and banana

If you are using modern teaspoons then double the quantity.

Please, if anyone tries it will you let me know how it goes.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
There's the thing about illness - normally I hoover up cheese, but my palate is so disordered I can't look at it. And the thought of anything acidic - bleeuuu!

I am baking a batch of banana muffins in the hopes that soft and sweet hits the spot.

I usually go for gloopy. Fruit yoghurts and other desserts - that tones the acid down.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Crawling out from a bad dose of flu: for the last 10 days been subsisting largely on toast and bananas with the occasional egg.

Have now got to the stage where I can eat - but nothing appeals. What are your favourite appetite-tempting foods/recipes?

Soup.

My go-to soup recipe:

A little butter and/or oil
2-3 potatoes and 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped in ½-in bits
1 large onion and 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
A shake of mixed herbs or thyme
1½-2 pints chicken stock, preferably home-made
A handful or two of soup pulses

Heat the oil and butter in a casserole. Add the veggies, herbs, salt and pepper, cover and allow to cook gently for about 10 minutes.

Add the stock and pulses, bring to a boil, turn the heat to low and simmer, partly covered, for about an hour and a half.

Even better the next day; add a little water if it seems a bit thick when you re-heat it.

Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have also been ill recently and went off my food for about a week. I made fishcakes one night which went down very well. Tasty, but not too strong flavoured, and fairly easy to digest.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To run with a theme, fishcakes made with cannellini bean mash are very tasty.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It seemed to me I was doing well - eating normally, if sparingly. Then I unwisely had a bought sandwich today. Worse cramping than when I was really ill, so it looks as if the little buggers are still hanging round the gut and they really don't like prawn mayo.
jedijudy

# 333

Dear Son-in-Law has the flu. He has been miserable, even with the Rx from his doctor. Therefore, I suggested some mom love to Daughter-Unit, and she thought it was a fantastic idea. Here's what I made...

Almost Cheating Chicken Soup.
One store-bought rotisserie chicken, most of the meat removed and saved for soup.

Put carcass and a chopped onion, half cup of carrot chunks, two celery ribs chopped in water just to cover. Simmer for an hour and a half and strain.

Replace broth into soup pot, add chicken, quarter cup each of thinly sliced carrots, chopped onion, and finely chopped celery. Add sage, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for half an hour. Add one and a half cup (or whatever your preference) noodles. Simmer until noodles are cooked.

Serve to sick son-in-law along with homemade bread. Watch him perk up!

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know one of you will be able to help...

I had a chicken carcass which I shoved into a slow cooker with boiling water & a few veggies and left on low for about 18hrs.

Will I be OK to use this for stock, or should I bring it back to the boil and boil for a while? (it went in the slow cooker as I needed to go out partway through the time and hte rest was an overnight cook).

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would, as I think the slow cooker keeps it above the temperature for breeding little nasties. It's not like an old stock pot, which could have cooled down, and had to be brought to the boil each day.

On the other hand, my stock, slow cooked, gets bagged up and stuck in the freezer until I use it, and is then brought to simmering with whatever I am going to cook in it to make soup.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it will be perfectly fine.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016