homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Pot Luck: Recipes 2016 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Pot Luck: Recipes 2016
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would imagine it would be OK, especially as the water was boiling when you put it in (and you'd be bringing it back to the boil anyway when you use it in a soup, casserole or whatever). If you're going to freeze it, let it cool completely first and when you want to use it, defrost it either overnight at room temperature or in the microwave.

I make chicken stock every few weeks, but I've never done it in the slow-cooker. Usually I wait until I have two carcasses and make stock in a pasta-cooking pot with a built-in drainer, but our slow-cooker is quite big, and would probably accommodate two carcasses and their accompanying bits and bobs.

If you're slow-cooking it, do the scummy bubbles rise to the surface the same way so that you can spoon them off?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd also clocked that I would boil it up again on next use, but it's reassuring that you you folk think it should be OK as well!

Piglet - no sign of scumminess at all. You can see the residual fat (not a huge amount) in little bubbles on the top, but apart from that it looks pretty clear. Maybe it's the difference between a gentle slow cook and a boil?

[ 08. February 2016, 14:18: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have some courgette and celery left over from last weekend. Thinking about doing a caponata.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually break up my carcases to fit in the cooker. I got the turkey in. Mind you, it's a large saucepan sized cooker, and I broke up the carcase. It was also a very small bird - too young to leave its mother.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help please - before Christmas, someone posted a recipe for a fruit cake that was simply a couple of cups of flour thoroughly stirred into dried fruit soaked overnight in dry ginger ale. Madame tried this a couple of times, the second adding the grated zest of an orange. That was a very successful addition. She also cooked some of the second batch in mini-muffin trays; that was well received at a party where there were lots of people standing around drinking tea/coffee.

The problem - was it self-raising flour or plain (US all-purpose) flour please?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The previous recipe thread is yet unburied on page 3, if you want to have a look.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The three-ingredient recipe is in the Stir-up Sunday thread in Oblivion (date 1st December 2015). I was sufficiently intrigued to go looking for it, but my ipad crashes when I try to link - sorry.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks - I'll look when I get home this evening.
Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks, I've now found BL's post - she thinks it was SR flour. Madame thinks she used SR before and so shall again for this weekend.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gee D: Thanks, I've now found BL's post - she thinks it was SR flour. Madame thinks she used SR before and so shall again for this weekend.
Phew! If Madame and the Ship thought different things, you would have a problem [Big Grin]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First time in weeks I've felt really interested in cooking (bad bout of flu and post-flu debility). Since Thursday is typically Curry Nite in the Firenze household, I made Madhur Jaffrey's Kashmiri koftas served on Yottam Ottolenghi's flatbreads with homemade onion relish and yoghurt raita.

All good. Key, I think, was some posh artisanal yoghurt, which went into both the kofta and the flatbreads - which were, interestingly enough, give or take a bit of chopped coriander, the same ingredients as an Ulster wheaten farl. Just fried instead of baked.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Gee D: Thanks, I've now found BL's post - she thinks it was SR flour. Madame thinks she used SR before and so shall again for this weekend.
Phew! If Madame and the Ship thought different things, you would have a problem [Big Grin]
When Madame and the Sip agree, all will be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well. Or something like that.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I thought I would do a Surf 'n' Turf take on our usual Saturday steak, having been tempted by a nice squid tube at the fishmonger. I did a tempura batter - 50/50 plain flour and cornflour with fizzy water. I have to say the calamari was a lot better than the rather toughish beef (I've had better from that supermarket).

Coming soon: Saturday night Calamari and Chips.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I've yet to be converted to squid (if you see what I mean); I can't quite get past the "rubber-band" concept.

If I were to do surf-and-turf, the surf would be nice juicy, garlicky prawns.

Mmmmm ... [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It has to be fresh squid - it's the freezing brings on the rubberiness. I still remember a lunch of grilled squid in Barcelona; and that time in Sai Kung - the cuttlefish swimming in its tank when we entered the restaurant, 10 minutes later crispy fried on a plate.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I just made (and ate) a chick pea curry with a vegetable raita. It bears repeating!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I have a Madhur Jaffrey chickpea thing I do for lunch occasionally. It's just the usual spices + onions and tomatoes. What makes it is a finishing of raw onion, raw chili, salt, fresh ginger and lemon juice (lots of lemon juice).
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Inspired by Kingsfold's slow-cooker stock, I've got a couple of chicken carcasses, veggies and herbs bubbling away; it's been on the "high" setting for about 4½ hours, so I think I'll go and take the bits out before I go to bed, and freeze it tomorrow (or possibly make soup with it, if the mood takes me).

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Having strained the stock I thought, I've got the slow-cooker down* anyway - I may as well make the soup and let it cook overnight - so it'll be soup and home-made bread for lunch today.

* It lives on top of the fridge, so getting it down necessitates clambering on a chair for the vertically-challenged piglet. [Big Grin]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a wonderful cold remedy, known to me as "The Potion" which not only helps to knock out the cold, but leaves you in the happy state of not caring whether or not you had a cold to begin with.

It is composed of the vitamin C-rich elderberry, sugar and water.

Stew elderberries in just enough water to cover.
Strain overnight (I use a clean pillowcase stretched over the legs of an upturned stool.)

For every pint/half litre (let's not be picky) of the resulting juice, add 1lb/450 gr sugar.

Boil till sugar has melted and the liquid has thickened. Bottle when cold.

To serve: - treat as a cordial. Dilute with hot water, and add a good slug of your spirit of choice. Opened bottles should be kept in the fridge.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm really starting to like swede with parmesan and rosemary. I made it again today. The taste is nice.

[ 28. February 2016, 12:41: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Yesterday I made a "clearing-out-the-fridge" sort of risotto - left-over chicken from a Costco ready-cooked which was Needing To Be Used, half an onion, garlic and a few superannuated mushrooms. It really wasn't bad, although as D. pointed out, it could have done with a few veggies.* Possibly a red pepper and a few peas or chopped, fresh green beans.

* This is somewhat worrying, as D. is usually no fan of vegetables ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Filled pasta with a shop-bought sauce is normally a recipe for really boring. However...

1 tub Tomato and Mascapone
1 red chili
Shallots
Dry vermouth
Mascapone

Finely chop shallots and chili and soften in a little oil with the skinned and chopped tomato. Add the sauce and heat through. The vermouth and additional mascapone are probably optional - I just happened to have 'em - it's the fresh tomato and chili - especially the chili - that really lifts it.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I discovered last night, plain potatoes - boiled or jacket - can be much improved with a dollop of piri-piri hommous.

Hommous is quite good as an alternative to butter in sandwiches, too.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There used to be a very good choose-your-filling sandwicherie near where I worked in Belfast, and one of my favourite fillings was hummus and cucumber.

Sometimes IMHO all a baked potato needs is a little Maldon salt, a v. generous grind of pepper and an industrial quantity of butter.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mascarpone is good on a baked potato!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had a couple of friends round for supper this evening, and I did a sort of cross between a risotto and a paella, and discovered that it's really not as much of a faff as the cook-books would have you believe:

For four generous portions:

Olive oil
3 Italian-style sausages, pricked
1 large onion, chopped small
1 large clove garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
About 1½ cups Arborio rice
A splash or two of white wine
About 4 cups hot chicken stock, infused with a generous pinch of saffron (keep it on a medium heat)
2-3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
4 largish mushrooms, sliced
About 16-20 medium/large cooked frozen prawns, defrosted and shelled
1 cup frozen peas, microwaved for a couple of minutes on High

Heat the oil in a paella pan, Dutch oven or shallow casserole and brown the sausages on all sides. Remove to a plate.

Add a little more oil and cook the onion and garlic gently with a generous pinch of salt and grind of pepper for about 10 minutes until soft.

Add the red pepper and cook for a minute or so, then add the rice, and stir around until it's nicely coated in oil. Cut the sausages in slices.

Turn up the heat to medium and add the wine. Cook, stirring, until it's been absorbed.

Add the hot chicken stock, a couple of ladlefuls at a time, and stir after each addition. Once about half of it is in, add the sausages, mushrooms and chopped chicken, followed by most of the rest of the stock (in ladlefuls), stirring as you go. The whole stock/stirring process shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes.

Turn the heat down to low, stir in the prawns and peas, cover and leave to warm them through. There shouldn't be very much liquid left; if there's any visible, it'll probably disappear when you give the whole thing a stir.

Season to taste and serve with French bread and plenty of wine.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Try it with rabbit rather than chicken if you get a chance!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

One of the recipes from which I adapted it mentioned rabbit, but it's not really a meat I'm overly fond of. I had rabbit when on holiday in France as a teenager and wasn't at all well afterwards; the two events may not actually have been related, but they're related in my mind, and I don't think I've ever had it since.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not entirely conscious connection. It's an innate thing for protection. I read a piece in New Scientist a while back about it - something we share with rats! The writer related a tale of how he had been sick as a result of sunstroke after eating watermelon, and felt repulsed by the fruit for a long time afterwards. This rang a bell with me. The very first time I came across a MacDonalds I was, unrealised by me at the time, building up to a migraine with sickness. For a very long time after, I couldn't even pass one without feeling queasy. Even the Ronald jingle did it, as they were playing it nonstop in the place at the time.
Somewhere in your hindbrain there lurks the association that warns you about rabbit. It could be overcome - I grew out of the Big Mac thing, but now have a more cerebral reason for passing by.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think you may have hit it, Penny - I discovered years later that the stomach-cramps I'd been suffering off-and-on for years were down to IBS (which at the time seemed like one of those new diseases that real people didn't get).

Once it had been diagnosed, I was given peppermint capsules which almost invariably put it right, and lessened the frequency of the attacks almost to nothing.

It didn't really undo the rabbit association though ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking for a dessert recipe that combines meringue and lemon but doesn't involve pastry - so no lemon meringue pie! The person I am doing it for is gluten intolerant but loves meringue and lemon. Any suggestions please?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Lemony take on Eton Mess? Whip the cream with lemon zest. Poach thin slices of lemon in syrup.

Lemon syllabub? (With added mini meringues)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would not be very difficult to make a lemon pudding or a lemon curd, put the meringue on top and then run it under the broiler to brown it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Or the other way around: pavlova (large or little individual ones) filled with lemon-curd and topped with whipped cream and decorated with Firenze's syrupy lemon slices? Sort of lemon-meringue-pie but without the pie.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the intended consumer of the lemon/meringue pudding is gluten intolerant then make a base that isn't pastry.

What about a gluten free (oat or similar) biscuit base, which you could drizzle with more lemon juice, then the lemony filling and top with meringue.

I'm not making puddings at the moment but next time I do I might have a go and report back.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In some recipes you can substitute ground almonds for flour.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oats aren't really gluten-free. You can buy gluten-free oats. Gluten-free biscuits are usually based on corn, potato or rice flour. Almond flour is often added to give some texture or body to the cake or biscuit. Which isn't all that helpful to those who are allergic to nuts too.

Would a rice pudding work with lemon and meringue?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church Young Wives* had a demonstration of Palestinian cooking last week, and it tasted glorious.

I made Baba Ghanoosh at the weekend, which turned out well, though not as good as the samples at the demonstration.

Last night I made Kafta B'siniyah, which is a layer of lamb mince mixed with onion, parsley and cinnamon, a layer of par boiled potatoes, a layer of tomatoes, a layer of onions, with a mixture of tomato puree, lemon juice, cinnamon and water poured over the top, and then baked.

The smell as it bakes is wonderful, and the end result delicious.

*definition of "young" - not old enough for The Guild.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Until I read the gluten free bit, I was thinking Queen of Puddings, but I suppose it would work with the lemony custard baked to set without the breadcrumbs if GF not available, then lemon curd instead of the jam, and the meringue on top as usual.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

NEQ, that Kafta B'siniyah sounds rather nice - a sort of moussaka for people who don't like aubergines (i.e. me).

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It trips me out. 500 years ago the only people who ever saw a potato lived in the Andes, and now it's a staple in pretty much every cuisine in the world.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
NEQ, that Kafta B'siniyah sounds rather nice - a sort of moussaka for people who don't like aubergines (i.e. me).

Oh, another one. I read stuff about how they have little flavour of their own and absorb that of the other foods in a dish and I don't believe it. It's the only food my mouth insists on rejecting, and I assume it knows what it's doing. (Not a case of learned response like the Big Macs. It was the very first moussaka, and I had to force myself because my sister had served it. The reaction was confirmed when in a restaurant she said stuffed vine leaves would be OK. I assume it's something to do with nicotine. My sister smoked. I didn't. I hear that new varieties have had it bred out. I'm not going to bother to try again.)
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raises hand - I'm another one, I can eat them but I'd much rather not, thankyouverymuch. They become a bit slimy like folks always seem to say okra does - give me okra any day.

Instead of either just give me mushrooms, lots of mushrooms! I think I must have been a Hobbit in a former life.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Okra needs to be fresh, otherwise it can get slimy or fibry. (I like aubergines. I wouldn't put too much in, but they can add a bit of substance to a pasta sauce or a curry.)

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Aubergines are on a soft/slime cusp. They can be meltingly delicious or just that bit disgusting.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It's not the texture, it's flavour. I could detect it in the vine leaf stuffing when I couldn't identify the substance at all. It permeated everything.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fresh okra, sliced and fried at a high heat until a bit crispy, then served with a spiced yoghurt dip, is pretty good.

Aubergines, sliced and grilled with a sauce made with honey, ginger, garlic, lemon and spices are also good.

I've always loved mushrooms but lately have noticed that some of them seem to taste mouldy, even when fresh. I'd be depressed to think my tastes were changing as I've enjoyed them ever since I can remember.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My niece gave me some grow your own oyster mushrooms, which tasted lovely. No mouth warning at all of what was to follow. Apparently 2% of the world's human population cannot tolerate them.

But my stomach was a good back-up to that mouth failure. And rapid.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016