homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Pot Luck: Recipes 2016 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Pot Luck: Recipes 2016
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I Googled "slow cooker fish in foil packets" and got mostly recipes for tilapia, although there was one for salmon - could your recipe have been red salmon? Or maybe red mullet?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Piglet. I suppose it may have been a misprint. I just assumed it was a fish I had never heard of before, and I'm familiar with salmon and mullet.

My mother had a baked fish recipe which my older brother liked and wanted cooked for his birthday a couple of years ago. I have found it since, but he doesn't have a good oven. I was going to visit and make it in his crockpot for him.

I might experiment with salmon or one of the local fish.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Thanks Piglet. I suppose it may have been a misprint. I just assumed it was a fish I had never heard of before, and I'm familiar with salmon and mullet.

Red Snapper, perhaps?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly red emperor? That's often cooked in foil parcels.
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to nursery food, my mother used to make what she called fish pie, but which would probably now be called a pasta bake, as it involved pasta instead of potatoes. She used white fish - probably cod, which in those distant days of the fifties wasn't too expensive.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I Googled "slow cooker fish in foil packets" and got mostly recipes for tilapia, although there was one for salmon - could your recipe have been red salmon? Or maybe red mullet?

A quick google for redfish recipes resulted in this . You do get to see what the fish looks like. Granted, it's not the foil packet one, but it proves that redfish are a separate kind of fish.

[ 05. June 2016, 06:44: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Jacobsen. That answers a question I was wondering about, which was to do with the thickness of the fish. I bought some like that here so I think I'll just play around with the timing for the slow cooker. I know fish generally cooks more quickly than meat.

And if it doesn't work well the first time Georgie-Porgy loves fish [Biased]

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used up the rest of a bag of Harvest Grains today by making another sort-of risotto. I think my previous effort has gone to Oblivion, but I've tweaked it a bit, so here's the updated version:

Olive oil
1 onion
2 small carrots
1 celery stick, all chopped quite small
1 large clove garlic, crushed or chopped small
Salt, pepper and a pinch each of thyme, rosemary and tarragon
About a quarter of a large red pepper, chopped
1 cup mixed grains (I had about ¾ cup left, so I made up the difference with rice)
1½ cups chicken stock, heated and infused with a pinch of saffron
About 1½ cups chopped cooked chicken
About ¾ cup frozen peas, defrosted
A little butter

Heat the oil* in a shallow casserole or Dutch oven and add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, seasonings and herbs. Stir and cook gently for about 10 minutes.

Add the grains and stir to mix, then add the chopped red pepper and pour over the hot stock. Bring to the boil, stirring, cover with a tight-fitting lid and turn the heat down to a gentle simmer.

After about 5 minutes, stir in the cooked chicken, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.

Stir in the defrosted peas, cook for another 5 minutes (or until all the liquid has evaporated) and stir in the butter. Fluff up the grains with a fork and serve hot.

* I was using defrosted home-made chicken stock and added a couple of teaspoons of the fat from the top of the stock to the pan but that's optional; ready-made stock or cubes will do.

It really was rather good (better than the original, which had mushrooms instead of red pepper). Although in this case the rice was needed to make up the amount, I'd do it like that again, as I think the rice added more than just bulk - it took on the colour of the saffron beautifully, making the dish look very pretty.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

Red Snapper, perhaps?
I snuck back into the bookshop and re-read the recipe. I misremembered the name which was actually Red Emperor which is indeed red snapper. Apparently Bream would do as a substitute - which is great as it is one of my favourite fish

Yay! Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia, you were lucky to find a good substitute. I have often seen programmes like River Cottage types or Rick Stein. Fish used is often something I do not recognise, with a name I have never heard. It makes me reluctant to try the recipe unless I can easily see the flesh and nature of the fish.

I eat quite a bit of fish but stick to what I know usually. Then I work around things with different sauces and cooking methods.

Yesterday I had a piece of Tasmanian salmon. I used some thickened cream, stirred in some French mustard son brought me from Mont St Michel and added finely chopped dill. Warmed gently, it went well on the salmon. Sorry no quantities, all to my personal taste.

I will do that again.

[ 08. June 2016, 12:29: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My guiding principle when it comes to fish is that if it's white, you can't go wrong with white wine, cream and tarragon: if it's red/oily - lime juice, chili, ginger and soy, and if it's got tentacles, tempura batter.

[ 08. June 2016, 13:52: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
.. if it's got tentacles, tempura batter.

If it's got tentacles, avoid. [Eek!]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And miss crispy fried squid rings?

Talking of calamari, I came over Greek this evening and decided to make moussaka - which I normally shun on account of the amount of Faff. However, I think the following recipe minimises that.

Slice the aubergine and sprinkle with salt.

Meanwhile peel some potatoes and microwave until almost done.

While that is going on, finely chop some onion and garlic and soften in olive oil. Add minced lamb, cinnamon and oregano. Once browned, add a couple of squidges of tomato puree, some water and some red wine (if available). Cover and leave to simmer.

Return to the aubergines, rinse and pat dry. Dress lightly with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes.

Make a bechamel and add a good pinch of nutmeg and some grated Pecorino. Beat in an egg.

To assemble, slice the potatoes and put in the bottom of ovenproof dish. Cover with meat. Top with aubergine slices. Pour over the béchamel.

Bake for 40 or 50 minutes.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Huia, you were lucky to find a good substitute.

When I was in search of the mythical red admiral fish [Hot and Hormonal] I found a website that gives substitutions. Unfortunately I was on a library computer, so I can't check my history to use it again.

Firenze, thanks for the oily fish/white fish tip.

Huia

[ 09. June 2016, 01:04: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Not a recipe, more of a food question: is it just over here, or have other people been finding it very difficult to get avocados that aren't more like grenades?

We've had a couple in the last few weeks that were so hard and apparently unripe that the stone shattered when you put a knife into it, and I was at a Mexican restaurant the other day where the waiter apologised to someone who tried to order the avocado burrito, saying they couldn't get decent avocados.

Anyone else had the same thing, or is it specific to Newfoundland?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are three stages of avocado-- stone like (lasting forever), ready! ( about 15 minutes) and rotting. (Ever after.)

A decent cook should be holding out for that 15 minute window, but the typical practice is buying the avocado at the stone stage and waiting for that magic day. I can see how a rush of avocado dish orders could tempt a cook to prepare avocados before ripeness, but your dish is doomed to suck in painful ways if you cut avocado corners.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Meh. Even the 'ripe and ready' packs are chancy. It's either rubber bullet or completely squidgy. I've largely given up.

Meanwhile, in the Turned Out Better Than Expected category:

White fish fillets
Frozen spinach
Grated Parmesan
Breadcrumbs
Butter
Fresh parsley (optional)

Microwave the spinach until just thawed/!cooked. Press it to get out the water. Put a dollop of spinach in an ovenproof dish and top with a dod of butter and a chunk of fish. Repeat until you have used all your fish and spinach. Scatter with a mix of grated Parmesan, breadcrumbs and parsley (if using). Bake for 20-25 mins in a hottish oven.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
There are three stages of avocado-- stone like (lasting forever), ready! ( about 15 minutes) and rotting. (Ever after.)

Yes. IMHO the only solution to this problem is to have a gi-normous three-story avocado tree in your backyard, like my grandparents did. Avocados exist to be parables of Genesis 2-3--paradise so brief, fall so dreadful!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That sort of makes me feel better, especially as we had one in between that managed to evade detection in the fridge and by the time I looked at it, it was in the squishy category.

[Projectile]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think you're supposed to put them in the fridge, are you? Or is that just for bananas and tomatoes?

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can put avocados in the fridge if you want to extend that fifteen minute window to, like, twenty minutes. Just don't forget about them. [Big Grin]

And bananas-- ugh, yeah, say goodbye to them if you put them in the fridge. But tomatoes? Again, as long as you don't forget they are there, they should be fine, right?

[ 20. June 2016, 15:50: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I dunno, that's just how I was taught. And I like warm, spicy smelling tomatoes on the counter a whole lot more than the cold clammy globes that come out of my refrigerator!

My mother had one of those foodsaver thingies that encases stuff in plastic shrinkwrap. To demonstrate its abilities, she shrinkwrapped an avocado half and stuck it in the fridge for a week before inviting me to admire it. Hard to be polite while I'm [Projectile]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have learned from media that tomatoes once put in the fridge do not recover their flavour - not like strawberries which can be brought back to room temperature OK.

You can get banana bags which keep bananas OK in the salad box at the bottom of the fridge. I have used one.

The cucumber bags do not work, though, and you end up having to wash out watery gloop.

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bananas are ok refrigerated - they go black on the skin but the inside is perfectly kept.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
... But tomatoes? Again, as long as you don't forget they are there, they should be fine, right?

Maybe it depends on the type of tomato. We usually buy Sapori tomatoes on the vine from Costco and they'll keep for several days in the fridge without coming to any harm, and several more when they're still good enough for cooking with.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tried my hand at making cream cheese. It turned out wonderful. Now onto second batch.
If you would like to try your hand at it go

here

[code fix]

[ 21. June 2016, 01:30: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry Link worked in styx but does not work here.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's working now, Graven Image! [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a nasty cold wind outside and it may be snowing down in the high country where Shipmate Rowen lives. I am making this recipe tonight whiich will fill my apartment with a wonderful aroma.

The sauce does about six large chicken fillets. Tonight I am experimenting with diced pork and looking forward to it. Recipe is easy and quick.

Heat oven to around 200° C
Place chicken fillets in ovenproof dish and add salt and pepper,

Mix together 1/4cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup dijon or seedy mustard, and a tablespoon rice wine vvinegar. Other light vinegars can be used if you do not have the rice wine type.

Pour over chicken and cook for around 40 minutes. It will brown nicely and smell really good.

Serve and into remaining sauce , stir fresh rosemary and pour over chicken. Original recipe was served with rice. As I am eating low carb, I wil have vegetables and salad. ( the maple syrup will be fine as it is divided among several serves.)

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I just thought it was my lack of knowledge about avocadoes that was responsible for my buying so many duds. I've stopped buying them, especially now the price is a bit steep here at the moment, so much so that avo thieves are stripping orchards up north.

Apparently this year's crop is predicted to be a good one.

I have a chicken, kumara (sweet potato) and cranberry stew in the slow cooker. The sauce is a combination of wine vinegar, honey and ginger, which sounded interesting. Since I successfully slow cooked a sweet and sour pork shoulder at the last minute because the oven wasn't working I have decided I need to branch out with meals I haven't tried before. I can always freeze leftovers for another day.

After I've eaten I'm baking some mini-muffins as the school where I volunteer is raising money for the Vinnies (St Vincent de Paul). I'm planning on banana and chocolate and crunchy lemon, which should appeal to both the children and adults.

Huia

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Scampers over from garden thread)

So, someone over there described something involving a court state filled with fruit. 1. Is that really a thing? and 2. Is it yummy?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Goddamn predictive text. "Courgette."

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did wonder what you were seeing in that thread that I couldn't, Kelly [Biased]

I think Penny S just meant that the plant already had growing courgettes on it.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Correct. And yesterday I got a pot of runner bean plants with pods already to be harvested!
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, ok. Forgive me for getting all excited; zucchini is the traditional " food you try to use up in creative ways" around here, so I figured it would be handy to have another trick up my sleeve.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are zucchini slice, bread and chocolate cake already in your repertoire?
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yep. As well as stuffed zucchini.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Hasselback zucchini made like Hasselback potatoes with lots of melted butter and herbs?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

( after googling) Hee. They look like the Very Yummy Caterpillar.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take some large courgettes, hollow them out, fill them with a mix of spiced meat/meat with herbs/spiced or herbed rice, place in ovenproof dish, pour a tomato sauce of your own devising over and bake until done. The really large ones might need turning halfway through.

Take some small courgettes, slice thinly into rounds, dip in tempura batter and deep fry briefly. Serve with whatever you please, eat with dip of garlic mayonnaise, tomato salsa, whatever.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've still got some in the freezer from last year! Shallow fried in butter, they were.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Take some large courgettes, hollow them out, fill them with a mix of spiced meat/meat with herbs/spiced or herbed rice, place in ovenproof dish, pour a tomato sauce of your own devising over and bake until done. The really large ones might need turning halfway through.

Take some small courgettes, slice thinly into rounds, dip in tempura batter and deep fry briefly. Serve with whatever you please, eat with dip of garlic mayonnaise, tomato salsa, whatever.

The first dish you describe is what I was thinking of when I said " stuffed zucchini ". The family recipe had ground beef and rice mixed with marinara sauce, and maybe diced bell pepper.

The second-- yum.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Courgette/zucchini ideas:

Grated and made into fritters with herbs and feta,
Grated and put into savoury scones (there is a Be-Ro recipe for courgette and ham scones which is nice)
Soup
Grated and added to mince-based dishes to bulk out the meat - it just disappears
Pasta sauces with pesto/cheese/herb type sauces
Sliced lengthways and used instead of or with aubergine in moussaka
Sliced very thinly lengthways and used to wrap chicken breasts instead of bacon - I've used a Sainsburys recipe for chicken stuffed with brie and cranberry and then wrapped in courgette, and it works surprisingly well - I'm sure you could wrap fish in it too

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also don't forget to eat the flowers!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a fairly extensive courgette recipe collection, but the Hasselback recipe is new to me. It is now on my recipe list as, thanks to Kelly Alves' description, "Very Yummy Caterpillars". I've only got round courgettes in my garden this year, so will have to save this until I go back to buying supermarket ones.

Our favourite courgette recipe for the past couple of years has been:

Courgette and Rice Filo Pie.
500g courgette, coarsely grated
75g long-grain white rice, raw
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
75g mature Cheddar, grated
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil
A handful of dill, chopped
A good handful of parsley, chopped
6 squares of ready-made filo pastry
75g butter, melted
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to C190. Mix together everything except filo and butter.
Take a sheet of filo pastry, brush with a little melted butter and use it to line a dish (mine is about 7" diameter and 1.5" deep), placing the pastry butter side down. Let any excess hang over at the edges. Add another buttered sheet on top, about 1/4 turn from the one underneath, and continue this way until you’ve used all but one sheet of the pastry.

Tip the filling into the pastry-lined dish. Fold over the pastry edges to enclose the filling, dabbing with a little more melted butter to keep the pastry together. Take the remaining sheet of pastry, crumple it lightly in your hands to give a nicely textured finish and place on top of the pie, tucking in the edges around the side.

Dab a little more butter over the surface and bake for 45 minutes until golden. Serve hot or warm.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The favorite way to eat zucchini at my house is grilled on the barbecue grill. Get it hot, so that there are grill lines and let them get good and done. Prep involves trimming and cutting them in half lengthways, sprinkling with olive oil. There are usually no leftovers but if there are they go great onto flatbreads, pizza, etc.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those zucchini/courgette recipes sound wonderful, especially the "Very Yummy Caterpillar!" Ariel's recipe for large ones sounds like what I think of as 'stuffed marrow.' Not had that for years but it suddenly sounds v appealing!

I mostly cut courgettes into chunks and use said chunks to make shashliks with chunks of chicken and slices of peppers. Just grill for 20 mins and... Fab!!

What I actually came to this thread for was to ask: Does anyone have, please, a quick recipe for cherry sauce (using real cherries as opposed to cherry jam) that they can recommend from experience? It's to go with duck rather than ice cream.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I would think the way to go is like apple sauce - put the pitted fruit in a small covered saucepan and stew till soft and squishy. Sweeten (honey/brown sugar) or sharpen (orange/lemon juice) to taste.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very quick courgette salad

This involves courgette and a vinaigrette.

Put the kettle on and boil

Slice the courgette finely and place in the bowl. Add the hot water when the kettle boils and leave for about five minutes.

I normally make up the vinaigrette while it is waiting and it varies every time which is why I am not giving a recipe.

After the five minutes, drain the courgette and pour over vinaigrette. Toss, shake or by some other method try and cover the courgette with the vinaigrette.

Serve.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Staying on the quick and easy theme - I was not feeling well but needed to eat something and had some good bread that was past its best and came up with WW's Special Fried Bread:

Put some butter and olive oil in a frying pan and add a squirt of garlic paste [I actually used garlic and ginger paste from our local supermarket]. When it is hot and spitting add the bread then a few seconds later turn it over, leave, turn, leave, serve.

Perfect and tasty on its own though a little black pepper would be a nice addition.

[ 20. July 2016, 15:04: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016