homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Pot Luck: Recipes 2016 (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Pot Luck: Recipes 2016
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah ha. Another to add to my things to do with the breadcrumbs in my freezer.
(I never get through a loaf before it dries, so have a lot of crumbs from the stale ends. The ones that go mouldy (I'm trying to avoid that happening) go out in the garden.)

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Said I wanted inspiring on a soup theme and some of you brought up a whole lot of suggestions. Today I had a go at making a soup taking up some of the suggestions. I started out with my very tasty but mundane carrot soup but using your ideas this is what I ended up with. I do not use quantities very precisely with soups so apologies for roughness of them

Curried Root Vegetables and Cannellini bean soup

ingredients
  • 1 medium onion
  • several cloves of garlic
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 parsnip
  • 1 pack of sweet potato and butternut
  • 3 teaspoons of coconut oil
  • 2 teaspoons of mild curry
  • 1.5 litres of vegetable stock
  • 1 can of cannellini beans

How I made it
  1. Heat the coconut oil in a roasting dish in an oven at 200°C and leave to heat through.
  2. chop veg into approximated 1 cubic cm sized pieces except beans. Skin garlic
  3. place chopped beans and garlic cloves into roasting tray, sprinkle with curry powder and leave to cook for half an hour turning occasionally.
  4. put stock in pan.
  5. wash and drain beans and add to stock then bring to boil.
  6. Add roast veg and leave to simmer for about half an hour.
  7. allow to cool
  8. Liquidize and either reheat or box and store.

This means I should have three soups to choose from in my freezer:
  1. lenti, sweet pepper, chilli and tomato soup (imagine an adult version of cream of tomato)
  2. black bean and kale soup. The base is passata and black beans mashed together to which I add kale and beans . So a soup with chunks in it.
  3. curried root veg soup (as above)
I may come back for fresh ideas if I run out of one of the above soups.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were at the market today and there was a stall selling packs of mixed soup pulses, in different varieties for particular soups/stews. There were mixes for chilli, gumbo and Thai prawn, but the one we bought was what they called "Fog Pea Soup", inspired by traditional Newfoundland pea soup.

The pack contains a very pretty mixture of yellow and green split peas, lentils, beans and various other bits and bobs, and the idea is you cook them up with water and add ham or bacon. I think we're going to give it a go - I'll report back.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ready made soup mixes like that can be very easily bought in supermarkets here. There is a plain "soup mix" which also contains barley and (from memory) some rice and other grains. The Italian is purely pulses (having written that, I rather like purely pulses). Madame uses it quite a bit in slow cooking a small joint of lamb - soak it overnight and cook in accordance with the packet instructions. Brown the meat, put into the slow cooker with some added onions, garlic, herbs, anchovy etc, pour the cooked mix around it and then tip in the contents of a can of diced tomatoes. Very easy, very effective. A great stand-by if we're dining alone or with close friends or family on a Saturday evening and want to watch a home game of rugby through the afternoon; just vary the size of the joint. Not a dish for your best wine, but rather a bottle or what you need of what Elizabeth David would have called a fruity young red goes well. Like a cassoulet but not actually one.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

- Posted      Profile for A Feminine Force   Author's homepage   Email A Feminine Force   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things to do with Basa (Panga, Pangasius)

I love freshwater fish and now I am no longer living in North America, it's so expensive and hard to come by.

Where I am, Basa is relatively inexpensive, and a great substitute for catfish. In fact I believe they are related species, both are river bottom feeders (why is it that water dwellers who eat poop taste the best? I'm looking at YOU shrimp, lobster and crab).

So if that hasn't completely turned you off:

1) Panko and Parmesan crusted Basa

2 fillets Basa
1 egg, beaten
1 cup of Panko crumbs (you'll have lots left over)
1/2 cup sunflower or peanut oil
2 tablespoon grated Parmesan
Salt and cracked black pepper

Make a bed of Panko crumbs at least 2cm deep in a large baking dish.

Dredge the Basa in the beaten egg.

Place the Basa in the bed of Panko and give it a good press both sides. Panko is fairly coarse, so you'll need to flip it a couple of times.

Heat the oil in a skillet on medium high heat until it is just slightly smoking. This is important. It needs to be hot enough so that it flash crisps the breading. If the oil is not hot enough, the breading will be a soggy mess.

Once the Basa is in the pan, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper to taste. IMO the more pepper the better.

Turn the Basa when the bottom is golden/medium brown and finish the other side.In all the cooking takes about 5-8 minutes.

Serve with a squeeze of lemon or fresh lime. I prefer lime.

I also have created a Pil-Pil with Basa that is to die for. If interested, let me know.

AFF

--------------------
C2C - The Cure for What Ails Ya?

Posts: 2115 | From: Kingdom of Heaven | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Ready made soup mixes like that can be very easily bought in supermarkets here ...

Here too - I already had a pack that I use for my veggie soup recipe, but this had other things as well - flavourings, dried shredded veggies and so on.

D. made the recipe last night, and we're going to have it for lunch today; the quality-control done last night looks promising. TBH there must have been a fair modicum of salt in the mix, because when we tried it, even before adding chopped cooked bacon and a couple of potatoes and carrots, it was quite well-flavoured.

[ 23. October 2016, 16:15: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found one thing to do with breadcrumbs, in the dessert line, triggered by thinking about Queen of Puddings, but not being keen on the effort of making the meringue!
Put fruit in the bottom of a microwaveable dish and sweeten to taste - I used raspberries. Mix an egg with cream or milk, and sugar, as a custard base and add bread crumbs to make it gloopy. I also added, in the absence of a lemon for zest, a small quantity of lemon oil. Pour this onto the fruit. Leave for the crumbs to absorb the custard while eating the first course.
Cook for 3 minutes at full power (my machine has a measly 700W). Leave to stand a minute.
It tasted pretty much like Q of P.

Today I'm doing it with reference to a slow cooking recipe from Stella Atterbury's book "Leave it to cook" which produced a sort of chocolate mousse - the crumbs disappear - and adding cocoa to the custard, with orange oil instead of the lemon.

I can see a lot of variants to this coming up. Even savoury versions.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The pea-soup mix thingy turned out very nicely - it had thickened considerably overnight, so I watered it down while re-heating it, but it was still rather good, and there was enough left over for another small-ish meal.

Having said that, it was quite an expensive way of doing things: the package of pulses and flavourings cost $9, which is about three times as much as the big pack of ordinary soup pulses from the supermarket* (although the package one didn't need any extra veggies apart from a couple of potatoes).

* which will yield enough for many pots of soup.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds very expensive Piglet, even if it made an ample meal for 2. Surely the ingredients cost nothing like that.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well, exactly. The pulse mixture was very prettily packaged, with the different coloured elements in layers, and the package tied with string, so I suppose it was a bit "designer".

Also, it wasn't really what we knew to be Newfoundland pea soup, which would be made with yellow split peas, carrots, potatoes and salted beef. It was an enjoyable experiment, but probably not one we'll be in a hurry to repeat, for fiscal reasons if not gastronomic ones!

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, I'm going looking for a recipe now, Piglet. I love pea soup, but have never heard of it made with salt beef before.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's the tradition in Newfoundland, and it does make for a very flavourful soup, although there's no reason why you shouldn't use a ham bone instead.

There's a recipe here. For myself, I wouldn't bother with the dumplings (dough boys), but they certainly eke it out.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A young friend of ours has PUK (an intolerance to protein) so is, essentially, on a vegan diet. Does anyone have simple vegan recipes which use basic ingredients that I can find in our local supermarket and which don't take hours to prepare? And are not jacket potatoes or chips!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can she do beans? There are many many bean recipes out there.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She can do beans, and we've been (pun not intended) giving her jacket potatoes with beans.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If she's OK with red kidney-beans, would a vegan chilli (sort of chilli sans carne) be of any use?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Beans of course have a partial protein, as do grains. That may well rule out such dishes as the bean chilli served on rice etc.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If beans are ok, can she also eat lentils?

My top vegan recipe: chop up one large onion, two carrots and two sticks of celery. Sweat in a little olive oil. Pour in two glasses of green lentils and two litres of vegetable stock. Simmer for about forty minutes and blitz with the blender. If you want to make a completely smooth soup, you will need to add more stock, but personally I prefer it with a bit of texture.

(A bit of smoky bacon added at the same time as the vegetables is also very tasty, but then it obviously isn’t vegan anymore.)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

It's protein is the problem, though she can eat some low protein foods. I had a recipe for a meatless, bean-less chilli from the Pku website. We made double the quantity, as the quantity of vegetables (carrots, mushrooms, peppers and onions) didn't look much. We've now got 12 tubs of it! It's more like a curry than a chilli, it's quite nice - I hope she likes it!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a recipe for a moong bean biryani from Gail Duff that I love - spiced brown rice, tomatoes, potatoes and moong beans, tends to be fed to vegans when they come round, that or an aubergine and red kidney bean casserole from Cranks.

Or there are mushroom burgers or nut burgers, or sweet potato cutlets - which come from a Sainsbury's vegetarian suppers book - a whole range of options.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Could you message Darllenwr with the recipes please, Curiosity.
He has access to the printer!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I remember my niece, who's a vegan, doing a dish of roasted vegetables - IIRC she used peppers, red onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, courgettes and possibly other things I've forgotten, and drizzled them with a balsamic reduction.

It was utterly delicious, and as easy as falling off a log - she just chopped everything into about 1½-inch pieces, chucked them on a baking-sheet with a little oil and cooked them in the oven.

--------------------

AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a recipe for cauliflower balti and also an aubergine madras if she likes curries.

The balti is a slow cooker recipe and super quick and easy.

[ 20. November 2016, 21:13: Message edited by: AngloCatholicGirl ]

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any chance you can PM those to me? I love my slow cooker, so the Balti sounds fab!

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Nothing at all to do with vegan curries, but I've long maintained that smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is a dish fit for a king; if you whisk a couple of tablespoons of cream in with the eggs, it comes straight from Heaven.

Just thought you'd like to know. [Smile]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having checked the PKU site, the more useful ones of those I sent you are probably the Carrot, Mushroom and Onion ragoût and the sweet potato cutlets minus the nut and egg coating. You could coat them with breadcrumbs. Beans aren't really on a PKU diet list.

Cauliflower curry with chapattis or rice, plus a spinach curry would be good. Cauliflower curry I tend to invent using the same spices as the moong bean biryani, following the recipe with the tomatoes and potato but omitting the rice and beans.

Spinach curry is the version all my daughter's multinational flatmates over the years have used too.

butter or oil
1 tsp garam masala
pinch salt
small onion, chopped finely
1lb spinach - stalks removed, in theory

Gently cook onion in butter or oil until transparent. Add garam masala and cook with the onion until soft. Add the salt and spinach and cook until the spinach has all wilted down.

This is so quick and even spinach haters love this one, so it won't serve many. (I make it for two.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there such a thing as a definitive recipe for Bubble and Squeak?

What I remember is yesterday's potatoes and cabbage mashed together and fried up in a little oil, but possibly with bits of left over cooked carrot as well. Left over carrots were rare in my family as we all loved carrots but did happen occasionally.

How about Garlic and Onions in there as well?

How about a little cheese grated on top and finished under the grill?

Do you stir it or let it sit and then turn it over and sit on the other side so you get some crispy bits on the sides?

Any other thoughts or family favourites?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wodders, I remember my youngest son being impressed by the Two Fat Ladies as they made bubble and squeak. They certainly had a recipe. It went something like this. Butter, butter, butter. If in doubt add more butter.

Certainly cabbage and potatoes were always involved and I would be asked to cook more than needed so sons could have a Saturday breakfast of bubble and squeak. Anything else available went into it. Cheese sounds good but I don't ever remembering adding that. Cooked slowly enough to heat it through, but high enough to make edges etc crunchy and brown. Our budget then rarely ran to bacon for three hungry boys, but tomatoes cooked separately and served on the side were popular.

[ 24. November 2016, 19:06: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The vegan niece might like this:

200g green lentils
4 celery sticks
4 large carrots
2 red peppers
1 chilli
4 cloves garlic
1 desertspoon parmesan
good handful finely chopped sage

Chop the celery, carrots, chilli, peppers and garlic very fine and then fry in rapeseed oil over a very low heat until tender.
Cook the lentils in stock for 40 minutes, then drain off any excess liquid.
Stir cooked lentils into other veg, taste and season before stirring in sage.
Lastly add the cheese.
(serves 3-4 depending on portion sizes)

Tasty on its own but also good with a poached egg on top.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Is there such a thing as a definitive recipe for Bubble and Squeak?

What I remember is yesterday's potatoes and cabbage mashed together and fried up in a little oil, but possibly with bits of left over cooked carrot as well. Left over carrots were rare in my family as we all loved carrots but did happen occasionally.

How about Garlic and Onions in there as well?

How about a little cheese grated on top and finished under the grill?

Do you stir it or let it sit and then turn it over and sit on the other side so you get some crispy bits on the sides?

Any other thoughts or family favourites?

I always associate Bubble & Squeak with Boxing Day when the leftover veg could all be considered. Now, when Mrs Sioni does anything up to nine vegetables, we get to choose (depending on availability).

There aren't usually leeks or broccoli left, but red cabbage and sprouts are there. We always have too many roast spuds so they go in. That all gets chopped, mashed and fried in a little butter. Those three are the basis. Onions could well be added but probably not garlic. It gets fried and turned until it is all crisp but we haven't tried adding cheese (don't tempt me!)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

L'Organist, that sounds suitable - without the Parmesan - for our Pku friend.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Squbble & Beak for supper last night and I have to boast a bit and say it was quite a success - it could have done with a higher heat for the last two minutes of cooking just to carbonise the edges a bit but tastewise it was excellent. Next week, if my dappled appearance doesn't make a re-appearance, I can even have a fried egg [or two] on top.

Cabbage and potato and onion and garlic and various little bits and bobs out of the fridge that needed finishing. It is something that I shall have again.

It wasn't as good as my mum's, of course, but...

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anything ever as good as your mother's? I muse on that sometimes. I am sometimes aghast as I remember some childhood favourites, but two recipes remain favourites to this day, suitably adapted for vegetarian tastes (though sometimes not [Hot and Hormonal] )

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think you're probably right, Pete - I've tried to replicate my mum's recipe for tiffin (a sort of chocolate/raisin/digestive biscuit confection that is very heavenly) and while mine came close, I don't think it was quite right.

Possibly the unobtainability of Scotbloc™ cooking chocolate had something to do with it.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think nothing will ever taste as good as a hungry child's favorite foods.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seek suggestions. There are a number of stellar bakers at church and I am conscious I fall short. I need a suggestion for a trio of home bakes which are a) not complicated or time consuming b) contrast nicely and c) look good as a trio.

We had a church event tonight and I made banana loaf, a traybake which involved chopped marshmallow, raisins and glace cherries and ...ummm... chocolate crispie cakes. All too often my third item is a cop-out like chocolate crispie cakes because I have run out of time / enthusiasm/ inspiration.

Suggestions please for an impressive but efficient trio of home bakes.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A trio - how demanding!

I'd have thought some sort of tray-bake would be a good start, and they're not horrendously time-consuming, as you don't have to make loads of little individual things. The tiffin I mentioned above, or Millionaire's Shortbread might go down nicely - that'll cover the "chocolate" obligation. I think there are recipes on t'interweb for both of them.

Some kind of loaf cake - cherry, raisin, lemon ... whatever takes your fancy - again, no individual faffing about.

What about little jam-tarts (you can cheat by buying the pastry-cases ready-made), with a squirt of whipped cream on top of each?

Your post has just reminded me that one of the things I won't be missing about St. John's is the annual cookie exchange that one of the women in the choir organises. I had to make God-knows-how-many* of the same wee buns, and ended up taking home the same number, but of a mixture of everyone else's, more than half of which I probably wouldn't like.

* usually well over a hundred, depending on how many people she'd invited - it seemed to get bigger every year. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An extra thought for Piglet's jam tarts. Buy similar tart cases but boil can of condensed milk till it caramelises. Spoon caramel into cases and add a dollop of cream on top.

Sweet and gooey

Caramel like that used to be sold down here. You may be lucky and still have it but it is long gone here.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

You could put a slice of banana under the caramel and cream. We can get pre-caramelised condensed milk. Also Dulce de Leche and similar spreads/sauces would do the job.

The Australian Women's Weekly cookbook series have a lovely one on traybakes.

[ 30. November 2016, 11:49: Message edited by: Penny S ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the banoffi tarts suggestion! Last night's stellar baker made lemon drizzle cake, a fudgy sort of tray bake and star shaped biscuits.

This is what I aspire to, but I wouldn't attempt those biscuits because inevitably one of more of the star points would break off.

I'm aiming for some sort of cake baked in a loaf tin, some sort of tray bake and something else, that contrasts nicely and isn't chocolate crispy cakes. So perhaps something chocolatey in the loaf tin, the marshmallow tray bake and banoffi tarts?

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Uncle Pete
quote:
Is anything ever as good as your mother's? I muse on that sometimes.
Thankfully not since my late Mama was a disastrous cook. Lacking a sense of smell may have accounted for some of it, also being a teenager when food was rationed so making experimenting with cooking tricky, but even so some of the things she came up with [Eek!]

Anyone for an adaptation of Chicken Marengo made with lamb, piccalilli and spiced mango chutney: not browning off the meat before putting the ingredients together added a layer of stomach-churning ghastliness; served cold it was truly unforgettable. We also never quite got to the bottom of what she did to red cabbage that made it so terrible, but the memory of the trapped wind and agonising stomach cramps it induced is still fresh. A dessert featuring beetroot, whipped evaporated milk and rice is also hard to forget. [Projectile]

The family used to joke that if they'd made her batch cook and dropped the results into occupied Europe it would have shortened the war by years. The only good thing to say about it is that we all taught ourselves to cook from a very young age prompted by a lively sense of self-preservation.

Oddly enough Mama had a friend who was similarly challenged, and when the friend's children and I see each other we still sometimes muse on how we survived to healthy adulthood on such atrocious food; certainly we were the only children we knew who put on weight on boarding school food.

[ 30. November 2016, 12:17: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Is anything ever as good as your mother's? I muse on that sometimes.

When my mother was moved to it she could be a very good cook indeed. She was however inclined to crazes, so we would get a new dish twice a week until we pleaded "No more! No more!" whereupon it would disappear forever even though it had many merits (come to think of it, that happens to "new" worship songs at our shack).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I have a recipe for a savoury flan involving beetroot and evaporated milk. I made it once, and never again. It looked like a sweet pudding, but tasted like a savoury flan. The sight / taste dichotomy was off putting. It had to be eaten with closed eyes, which created its own challenges.

The recipe is in the Boxing Clever cookbook, which has recipes for those experiencing a glut of something, in this case beetroot, and are desperate.

However, no one should be desperate enough to make this flan.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I'm making bread pudding at the moment. Having a vast amount of crumbs, and having bought some at the local WI market, and having heard my friend's difficult mother reminded that she liked it, it seemed a good idea. She was reminded because when there was an eco-activist occupation at the site of the old Crystal Palace, and someone's mum was seen to donate a large bread pudding to the camp, she was then arrested for something - giving comfort and aid to the enemy I suppose. And she was reminded of that because someone had made a photo book of the occupation for someone's birthday, and she had been looking through it.

So I have a large bowl of crumbs, mixed fruit, and various additions soaking ready to be baked tomorrow. The fruit was quite old, so it needs a lot of soaking. The spice was not up to date, so I had to go and buy some more. And I had to hack the dark brown sugar out of its jar.

The eggs are fresh from the farm, though, from truly free range hens who wander their pen with a couple of tiny goats.

There will be enough to give a goodly proportion away, and for me to stuff myself silly as well.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

As requested:

Scottish Oatcakes

Makes 18-20

Ingredients:

• 200g porage oats
• 1 tsp salt [I think 0.5 tsp probably enough]
• 1 tsp cracked black pepper [home grown in our case]
• 50ml extra virgin olive oil [I thought of trying Coconut Oil to give a Kerala flavour]
• A little boiling water

Method:

1. Take half of your porage oats and tip them into a food processor or blender, along with the salt and pepper. Whiz until relatively fine and tip into a mixing bowl.

2. Add the remaining porage oats into the mixing bowl, stir briefly and pour in the olive [or other] oil. Incorporate the oil a little before pouring in a little boiling water – around 2-3 tbsp – enough to transform your oats into a soft, malleable dough.

3. Gently knead your dough for 30 seconds, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll gently until 5mm thick.

4. Take a 6cm round cutter and cut out 18-20 oatcakes - not having such a cutter I use a crumpet ring. Preheat the oven to 160C/180C(fan). Pop the oatcakes onto a lined baking tray and bake for around 15 minutes, until they are crisp and a little browned.

Serve with a nice, tangy cheese or just on their own.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The bread pudding has come out quite well, but could do with more spice - and I'd already increased the suggested amount. I have a whole roasting tin of it!
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A little suggestion for a snackette.

Himself's potato, garlic, cheese and spinach tikki [patties].

Cook and mash some potatoes - preferably with a little butter!

Wash, chop and half-cook some spinach.

Peel and fry some cloves of garlic - chop if you wish but not entirely necessary.

Grate some tasty cheese.

Combine the ingredients [with some black pepper] and form into patties.

Fry the patties gently.

Serve, possibly with a little brown sauce or ketchup - we have a rather nice chilli and tomato ketchup that is ideal for the purpose.

Varying the cheese varies the flavours rather wonderfully - I find Stilton works well but we usually use a strong Cheddar as Stilton costs an arm and leg here.

Mind you Cheddar ain't cheap either but [most] cheese is worth every paise.

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Query (unrelated to anything upthread)

Recently re-reading Clemence Dane's 'London Has a Garden', in which she refers to making 'a rather nice pickle' from windfall figs.

What sort of 'pickle' would this be? and what might be involved? None of the recipes I have seem likely.

Thanks for any help.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pickled figs - lots more on this site

There ya go

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
A little suggestion for a snackette.

Himself's potato, garlic, cheese and spinach tikki [patties].

Those sound lovely and I want them now. But failing a delivery service, I will give them a try myself sometime.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016