homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Dead Horses: The Pilling Report (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Dead Horses: The Pilling Report
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had lunch recently with someone who was involved in the making of Pilling. Apparently (though you hardly need inside information for this), they bent over backwards to keep the Bishop of Birkenhead on board, thus producing a report very few of them were happy with--and, of course, the Bp of Birkenhead would have nothing to do with it in the end anyway.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If a child behaved in the way the Bishop of Birkenhead did over Pilling the description would be applied of dog-in-the-manger: shame no one felt able to send him to his room to think about his churlishness...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gather (and I don't want to give away the identity of my source) that the Bishop was one of the more personable participants, which made others keener to oblige him.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One area I felt the Church of Wales' report was a little light on was its dealing with the harm caused to gay people by discrimination. While it said they listened in person to some gay people's experiences, and it said some nice caring things in a vague and general way in its pastoral section, I fault it for omitting all concrete discussion of the actual harms caused by discrimination from its science section. Major scientific organisations in the UK and US have testified about the serious harms that gay people suffer by having their right to marriage denied. The fact that suffering serious and ongoing discrimination drives many gay people to suicide is something that the church needs to own up to and admit fault for. I think an honest discussion of that needs to be a part of any discussion about whether the church should discriminate against gay people in future. All too often discussions I see the Church undertake on this issue implicitly imply that the harms caused by discrimination amount to a few gay people having their feelings hurt slightly, and thus that the harms are insignificant. And so I would have liked to see some science included about the negative effects that discrimination has, and the serious harms that it has on those who experience it.

On a theological note, I would remind the writers of the report that in the creation account in Genesis 1-3, Adam looks for a mate but none of the animals are found to be suitable because they are not similar enough. So God makes Eve out of Adam's rib (essentially growing a clone, if you will) and her validity as a mate for Adam is then endorsed based on the fact of her similarity. According to that criteria, expressed in this text, same-sex partners would be even more valid than opposite sex partners.

Posts: 745 | From: NZ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
hosting

I don't want to correct Leo's link without knowing that this is what he means -

The Church in Wales and Same Sex partnerships

Leo, is this the right one?

thanks,
Louise
DH host

hosting off

Yes - sorry for any confusion.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
I had lunch recently with someone who was involved in the making of Pilling. Apparently (though you hardly need inside information for this), they bent over backwards to keep the Bishop of Birkenhead on board, thus producing a report very few of them were happy with--and, of course, the Bp of Birkenhead would have nothing to do with it in the end anyway.

So I wish they had the courage to dump him and say what they wanted top say.

I have seen some correspondence between Birkenhead and a theologically educated and articulate gay men - Birkenhead showed considerable ignorance and was unable to respond to any questions outside the usual stuff - bit like Jehovah's Witnesses who have all the patter when they are on familiar ground but who unable to think/talk outside the box.

However, he comes across as a compassionate and nice man - it would be so much easier for me to dismiss him as a biggotted thug.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Louise, thank you for that link. I've only skimmed the article so far, but do you know who was on the Committee that produced the Report? The only name I could see was the Chair, Canon Dr Peter Sedgwick.

This page lists them

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you leo - that's jolly useful.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016