homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Dead Horses: What 'listening process'? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Dead Horses: What 'listening process'?
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I forgot to preface that with: Thanks for your explanation, pete173.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
I'm surprised that you're asking me whether the facilitated conversations or the listening process are worthwhile. The impression we've been given is that the process is seen as a way forward by many of those advocating change. Personally, I have little or no investment in them, and even less optimism that they will bring an end to the impasse in the Church of England.

It was however the use of this kind of process in relation to the issue of women bishops that brought about a breakthrough on that deadlocked debate, and I did encounter many members of Synod who felt that through facilitated conversations they had for the first time come to understand and appreciate the positions of their opponents. So that's why I think that, as a Church, we have to give it a go.

The crucial difference with equal ordination is that "two integrities" was already backed by Synod and the bishops. The disagreement was over details, not principle.

Empathy alone won't fix things. However much conservatives come to empathize with LGBT people, it'll achieve nothing without a change in policy and teaching.
quote:
Such conversations and debates have, admittedly, been going on in the CofE since at least the 1970s - and our familiarity with the arguments and the pastoral issues on both sides of the divide does mean that we can all probably write compellingly in defence of the position espoused by our opponents.

I don't think that a negotiated two integrities model will work on this issue - the divergence over both hermeneutical and canonical understanding and liturgical practice (lex orandi, lex credendi) makes it far less easy to solve than the ordination of women.

If two integrities are out, was workable alternative d'you suggest?

Would you accept there exists no realistic chance of persuading a majority of LGBT Anglicans to never express their sexual orientation in a loving relationship?

That being so, barring a viable third option, either the church agrees to disagree (which the affirming camp is willing to do: the roadblock is evangelicals who insist their beliefs be made policy), or it splits.

If there's a third option, what is it?

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Church of England's understanding is that any liturgy of the church must express the doctrine of the church. A liturgy for the blessing of gay marriage - or indeed a liturgy for the marriage of gay people in church (assuming the Government removed the "lock") would by definition change the doctrine of the CofE.

Similarly, any change to our understanding of marriage would require canon B30 to be amended.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
To buttress the above, ExclamationMark, here's the 2003 letter, signed by the bishops who condemned John's appointment.

It explicitly cites Issues ... -- "We have been repeatedly assured that the House of Bishops' position stated in Issues in Human Sexuality has not changed" -- and claims to welcome celibate same-sex relationships -- "By his own admission he has been in a same-sex relationship for twenty years. We value, of course, the gift of same-sex friendship and if this relationship is one of companionship and sexual abstinence, then, we rejoice."

Care to withdraw your claim about canon law in light of this?

Well it does seem to be supported by Pete173 (see above).

Also, I'd add my concern around tradition (as well as the now familiar scriptural considerations). For Anglicans, I'm told that tradition is a key issue: what tradition is there in the church that permits same sex partnerships?

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Would you accept there exists no realistic chance of persuading a majority of LGBT Anglicans to never express their sexual orientation in a loving relationship?

That being so, barring a viable third option, either the church agrees to disagree (which the affirming camp is willing to do:

There's no realistic chance of persuading a majority of evangelicals to change. Equally there's no realistic chance of persuading those who affirm same sex relationships to accept the a "traditional" view on human sexuality and agreeing to disagree. Impasse.

A split is inevitable: there's no common ground at all apart from the fact that you're in the same church denomination. A split may even be desirable.

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:

Also, I'd add my concern around tradition (as well as the now familiar scriptural considerations). For Anglicans, I'm told that tradition is a key issue: what tradition is there in the church that permits same sex partnerships?

If you mean gay relationships, none. (I don't buy Boswell's claims.) Just like there was no tradition of ordaining women or remarrying divorcees.

Or, come to that, no tradition of married women being equal partners with their husbands. The abolition of coverture was at least as radical as opening marriage to same-sex couples.

As Judge Richard Posner of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said in his ruling to strike down bans on equal marriage:-
quote:
Tradition per se has no positive or negative significance. There are good traditions, bad traditions pilloried in such famous literary stories as Franz Kafka's In the Penal Colony and Shirley Jackson's The Lottery, bad traditions that are historical realities such as cannibalism, foot-binding, and suttee, and traditions that from a public-policy standpoint are neither good nor bad (such as trick-or-treating on Halloween). Tradition per se therefore cannot be a lawful ground for discrimination — regardless of the age of the tradition.

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
The Church of England's understanding is that any liturgy of the church must express the doctrine of the church. A liturgy for the blessing of gay marriage - or indeed a liturgy for the marriage of gay people in church (assuming the Government removed the "lock") would by definition change the doctrine of the CofE.

Similarly, any change to our understanding of marriage would require canon B30 to be amended.

Amend it then. It can be done by a vote of Synod, just as Synod changed doctrine to allow for equal ordination. If you can come up with a hermeneutic to set aside the clear teaching of scripture and tradition on ordaining women, you can come up with a hermeneutic to open marriage to lesbian and gay people.
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, turns out I've just gained something by continuing to listen. So maybe people will learn something new in this listening process. It turns out that yes, things which are gob-smackingly obvious to one side can still at this late stage be clarified.

I thought it was like, well duuuuh, obvious that if an outcome were a change in liturgy to permit same-sex marriages and blessing of same-sex marriages, that of course that would go along with changing canon law to permit it.

You know, like if you finally come out of the listening process thinking there's scriptural and Christian warrant for changing the church's policy and teachings about LGBT relationships, that one would change canon law to reflect that understanding.

Now I wonder what else that seems gobsmackingly obvious to me about this situation and the proposed process, is completely nonobvious to those who will be involved in it. And I don't mean adopting my side of which I way I think is right, I just mean about what it means to have a listening process, and the full spectrum of what possible results might be.

--------------------
Truth

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
quote:

If you mean gay relationships, none. (I don't buy Boswell's claims.) Just like there was no tradition of ordaining women or remarrying divorcees.

Or, come to that, no tradition of married women being equal partners with their husbands. The abolition of coverture was at least as radical as opening marriage to same-sex couples.

As Judge Richard Posner of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said in his ruling to strike down bans on equal marriage:-
quote:
Tradition per se has no positive or negative significance. There are good traditions, bad traditions pilloried in such famous literary stories as Franz Kafka's In the Penal Colony and Shirley Jackson's The Lottery, bad traditions that are historical realities such as cannibalism, foot-binding, and suttee, and traditions that from a public-policy standpoint are neither good nor bad (such as trick-or-treating on Halloween). Tradition per se therefore cannot be a lawful ground for discrimination — regardless of the age of the tradition.

In that case, one third of the whole foundation of Anglicanism is incorrect or, at least, inadmissible. Break up the Anglican communion anyone?

I'd have to come back on that court judgement, reflecting that it's given in an American court not an english one which establishes canon law. The mileage may vary with the ocean.

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you can come up with a hermeneutic to set aside the clear teaching of scripture and tradition on ordaining women, you can come up with a hermeneutic to open marriage to lesbian and gay people.

There is so much wrong with this statement, it takes the breath away. I thought you must have been using over-heated rhetoric, but this is twice that you have spoken of setting aside scripture. Perhaps I really don't understand you.

Is that really what you think those who have been working for the ordination of women and equal standing of gay people in the church have set about doing? Setting aside scripture so that anti-biblical practice can find a place in the church?

If you do then you are in a league with the ACNA, folk in North America who feel that their real complaint against ECUSA and against these innovations is the repudiation of authority, not primarily the innovations themselves.

What the proponents of ordination of women, and those who advocate an equal place in the church for gays, have been doing working to understand scripture and the tradition so that the innovations can be seen to be consonant with scripture and tradition.

There can be no casting aside. See the knee-jerk nonsense that was written on a recent Purgator thread concerning repudiation of stories of OT killing.

The Christian view cannot countenance a cut-n-paste approach to the Bible.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
In that case, one third of the whole foundation of Anglicanism is incorrect or, at least, inadmissible. Break up the Anglican communion anyone?

I'd have to come back on that court judgement, reflecting that it's given in an American court not an english one which establishes canon law. The mileage may vary with the ocean.

We can consider tradition without being slaves to it. Its role may be to help us learn from our mistakes. (See slavery, patriarchy, divine right of kings, and now, homophobia.)
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

[cross-posted.]

I read Byron differently, TSA. There's a name for this rhetorical tactic, I'm sure, but I can't think what it is. Anyway, I read him to be saying: "The way you lot talk about tradition and scripture, one would expect you to be in the camp that thinks ordination of women is against tradition and scripture. But somehow you found a way to convince yourselves that ordination of women is OK. So quit pretending your current position that equal treatment of LGBT people is against tradition and scripture prevents you from acting, because if you wanted to you could convince yourself that equal treatment is OK even in the face of one side's set of arguments that it's against tradition and scripture, just as you did with the ordination of women."

Byron, now I'm curious to know how you meant it, now that The Silent Acolyte has shown me there's a diametrically opposite way to interpret what you're saying, even though he and I are both reading the same words.

[ 06. September 2014, 22:46: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
There is so much wrong with this statement, it takes the breath away. I thought you must have been using over-heated rhetoric, but this is twice that you have spoken of setting aside scripture. Perhaps I really don't understand you.

Is that really what you think those who have been working for the ordination of women and equal standing of gay people in the church have set about doing? Setting aside scripture so that anti-biblical practice can find a place in the church?

If you do then you are in a league with the ACNA, folk in North America who feel that their real complaint against ECUSA and against these innovations is the repudiation of authority, not primarily the innovations themselves.

What the proponents of ordination of women, and those who advocate an equal place in the church for gays, have been doing working to understand scripture and the tradition so that the innovations can be seen to be consonant with scripture and tradition.

There can be no casting aside. See the knee-jerk nonsense that was written on a recent Purgator thread concerning repudiation of stories of OT killing.

The Christian view cannot countenance a cut-n-paste approach to the Bible.

No, some Christian views can't. Others are quite able to say that the Bible is wrong.

I'll hand over to Diarmaid MacCulloch for a sec:-
quote:
This is an issue of biblical authority. Despite much well-intentioned theological fancy footwork to the contrary, it is difficult to see the Bible as expressing anything else but disapproval of homosexual activity. The only alternatives are to try to cleave to patterns of life and assumptions set out in the Bible, or to say that in this, as in much else, the Bible is simply wrong.
I'm sure the pro-women hermeneutics are made in good faith, but the Greek didn't change after 2,000 years. Society changed, and an interpretive framework used to reconcile scripture with that change.

Interpretation of any text, let alone an ancient text in a dead language, is an active, two-way process. We don't passively receive meaning: we inject as much as we take. We must. Nature of texts.

Even if the Bible is revelation, it's revelation filtered via our imperfect senses and language. For now we see through a glass, darkly ...

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Even if the Bible is revelation...

So, tell us plainly. Is it? Or, is it not?
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
[cross-posted.]

I read Byron differently, TSA. There's a name for this rhetorical tactic, I'm sure, but I can't think what it is.

Bluntness. [Biased]
quote:
Anyway, I read him to be saying: "The way you lot talk about tradition and scripture, one would expect you to be in the camp that thinks ordination of women is against tradition and scripture. But somehow you found a way to convince yourselves that ordination of women is OK. So quit pretending your current position that equal treatment of LGBT people is against tradition and scripture prevents you from acting, because if you wanted to you could convince yourself that equal treatment is OK even in the face of one side's set of arguments that it's against tradition and scripture, just as you did with the ordination of women."

Byron, now I'm curious to know how you meant it, now that The Silent Acolyte has shown me there's a diametrically opposite way to interpret what you're saying, even though he and I are both reading the same words.

Yup, like the paraphrase. It's about consistency. If tradition can be set aside for some issues, it can be set aside for all issues.

I don't dispute that open evangelicals are sincere in their convictions. We all have subconscious motives. For whatever reason, many open evangelicals are the picture of reason and compassion when it comes to women and divorcees. The moment the issue switches to gay people, the shutters come down, and the Bible is suddenly clear and unyielding.

What is deliberate is the decision to try and impose personal belief on the rest of the church. Affirming Anglicans are ready to compromise, and have two integrities. If the bishops refuse to budge, then they're choosing to force a schism. All the talk in the world can't change that fact.

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
Even if the Bible is revelation...

So, tell us plainly. Is it? Or, is it not?
As I've not appointed myself God's mouthpiece, I've really no idea. [Roll Eyes]

D'you claim to have the inside skinny?

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

There's been a fairly long string of these changes: divine right of kings, charging of interest, slavery, coverture. In the hermeneutical struggles leading up to the Church coming to terms with them, scripture and tradition haven't needed to be set aside.

There is no reason to think that women's orders or equality of treatment for gay people will prove to be any different.

Since you've now told us plainly that the bible is not revelation, there doesn't seem to be much point in carrying on the discussion. Saying the "bible is simply wrong" is, simply, the lazy man's way out.

I'd rather shelter with the those who oppose women's orders and suppress gays than with those who have no confidence is God's revelation in the bible and tradition and who need to have all the apparent inconsistencies and mysteries resolved in our lifetime. Both of these innovations are less than a generation or two old. I can afford to wait while the Church gets this right.

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
There's been a fairly long string of these changes: divine right of kings, charging of interest, slavery, coverture. In the hermeneutical struggles leading up to the Church coming to terms with them, scripture and tradition haven't needed to be set aside.

There is no reason to think that women's orders or equality of treatment for gay people will prove to be any different.

Whatever its apologists claim, I'd argue that tradition has very much been set aside. In what meaningful sense can a "tradition" be claimed to survive when it's no longer practiced (and, indeed, is condemned).
quote:
Since you've now told us plainly that the bible is not revelation, ...
I've said no such thing. I'm agnostic on the subject, as there's no way to test whether it is, or isn't. What I have said is that any revelation must, of necessity, be partial, something the Bible itself claims.
quote:
... there doesn't seem to be much point in carrying on the discussion. Saying the "bible is simply wrong" is, simply, the lazy man's way out.
Well maybe it is, what bearing does that have on its merits?
quote:
I'd rather shelter with the those who oppose women's orders and suppress gays than with those who have no confidence is God's revelation in the bible and tradition and who need to have all the apparent inconsistencies and mysteries resolved in our lifetime. Both of these innovations are less than a generation or two old. I can afford to wait while the Church gets this right.
We each of us have our own priorities. [Smile]
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am rather surprised that no real attention has been given to pete173's explanation of why the two year process is already running about a year behind schedule.

First of all, doesn't anyone else think that it is gobsmackingly complacent of the HoB to delay this and show no sign of understanding the urgency of addressing this properly? The original two years in the Pilling Report was always rather extravagant in my mind. But now we're looking at three years at the least before anything begins to emerge.

Pete - don't you and the other bishops understand that you really don't have the time to fart around like this?

Secondly, the reason given for the delay is that "new material" had to be produced as Pilling wasn't acceptable. Doesn't that sound remarkably like refusing to do anything until you get an answer you like? Effectively, the whole delay over waiting for Pilling to produce his report has been a massive waste of time. For so long, the C of E refused to address this matter, on the grounds that "Pilling is producing his report and it would be wrong to jump the gun. Wait for Pilling to publish his report."

All along, the HoB have appeared, time after time, to be trying to kick this issue into the long grass. "Let's have a report. Let's have two years of 'listening'. Let's get some more material and THEN have two years of listening."

Why don't the HoB get it?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
I am rather surprised that no real attention has been given to pete173's explanation of why the two year process is already running about a year behind schedule.

First of all, doesn't anyone else think that it is gobsmackingly complacent of the HoB to delay this and show no sign of understanding the urgency of addressing this properly? The original two years in the Pilling Report was always rather extravagant in my mind. But now we're looking at three years at the least before anything begins to emerge.

Pete - don't you and the other bishops understand that you really don't have the time to fart around like this?

Secondly, the reason given for the delay is that "new material" had to be produced as Pilling wasn't acceptable. Doesn't that sound remarkably like refusing to do anything until you get an answer you like? Effectively, the whole delay over waiting for Pilling to produce his report has been a massive waste of time. For so long, the C of E refused to address this matter, on the grounds that "Pilling is producing his report and it would be wrong to jump the gun. Wait for Pilling to publish his report."

All along, the HoB have appeared, time after time, to be trying to kick this issue into the long grass. "Let's have a report. Let's have two years of 'listening'. Let's get some more material and THEN have two years of listening."

Why don't the HoB get it?

Probably for the reason the wider British establishment didn't get it about Scottish independence until the "Yes" campaign suddenly took the lead: they exist in their own bubble.

Reading between the lines (if that), Pete173 appears to think that it's viable for the church to continue institutional discrimination against gay people. He won't even consider "two integrities," which would be a massive compromise on the part of affirming Anglicans. (On the scale of the Civil Rights Movement agreeing to share an organization with segregationists.)

Whatever his hermeneutics say, realpolitik speaks louder. When a house is divided against itself, unless its leadership can silence dissent like the Catholic Church has done, it must either negotiate change, or come apart.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Byron, as paraphrased by AR:
But somehow you found a way to convince yourselves that ordination of women is OK. So quit pretending your current position that equal treatment of LGBT people is against tradition and scripture prevents you from acting, because if you wanted to you could convince yourself that equal treatment is OK even in the face of one side's set of arguments that it's against tradition and scripture, just as you did with the ordination of women."

The C of E decided that there was no bar to the ordination of women in the 70s. It took 20 years for the first women to actually be ordained priest, and we still don't have a woman bishop.

By comparison, the C of E still hasn't really decided whether it's OK to be in a same-sex sexual relationship, and has for a long time pretended not to notice all the gay priests that is has.

So if you want to use the ordination of women as
your timescale, I'd say gay priests have another generation or so of waiting before they are officially allowed relationships.

That being said, I think the argument that "if you wanted to, you could convince yourself..." is false. Wanting to can certainly lead to a significant study effort, but only in the most craven of cases could it presuppose a conclusion.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
[...] So if you want to use the ordination of women as your timescale, I'd say gay priests have another generation or so of waiting before they are officially allowed relationships. [...]

Thankfully, things have moved on since the seventies. Consciousness of rights has grown (Britain only banned employment discrimination on basis of gender in 1975), and social media have revolutionized campaigning. Of necessity, the gay rights movement has gained expertise in both.

Just witness the speed with which Vicky Beeching has networked LGBT Christians since her coming out.

This can't be kicked into the long grass indefinitely. If nothing else, the church's spiraling attendance figures will see to that. As Justin Welby said:-
quote:
We have to face the fact that the vast majority of people under 35 not only think that what we're saying is incomprehensible but also think that we're plain wrong and wicked and equate it to racism and other forms of gross and atrocious injustice.
That has implications wider than Welby perhaps intends. The mad men can't salvage the church's reputation. The only way to change attitudes is for it to change policy.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The foot-dragging over this issue is disgraceful.

The whole idea of "facilitated conversation" is absurd - either there is a genuine conversation with both sides listening or there isn't: the statements of various members of the House of Bishops makes it crystal clear they have no intention of listening to any view other than their own.

A gay (cleric) friend summed it up thus:

The HoB can be divided into three, unequal, parts:
  • The smallest number of bishops are those who wholeheartedly, without reservation, recognise not only that LGBT people are the people they are because God made them that way - and maybe God made them that way because he WANTS them to be LGB or T?
  • The medium sized group can (ought ?) to be subdivided: this is the group which doesn't think that LGBT people should have equal status within the church - the difference within the group is that the smaller section at least has the balls to admit what they think, the hugely greater group just vacillates and fence sits.
  • The largest group is made up of traditional "he's a good, safe, committee man" bishops: they're not sure what they think and they're going to make damn certain no one else is sure either. They'd like to think that LGBT can be equal in the sight of God but they're not sure, and they're especially not sure about them being clergy, or being able to be married. So they'll stick to their tried and trusted formula which is (metaphorically) putting their fingers in their ears and chanting "la la la" to drown out the insistent pleas from others to actually nail their colours to the mast. So they'll drone on about being 'supportive' and 'being alongside' LGBT people, etc, its pretty meaningless.

What the HoB still doesn't get is that it is them and their spineless blethering which causes the most harm to the CofE in the eyes of Joe Public. But then while we have people who think that an OE HTB graduate who looks like a normalised Gollum is just the chap to appeal to the non-churchgoer there's little chance of common sense about anything else getting through to them.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
[...] The largest group is made up of traditional "he's a good, safe, committee man" bishops: they're not sure what they think and they're going to make damn certain no one else is sure either. [...]

As Church of England bishops are appointed, not elected, it's no surprise the HoB is packed with company men. If you wanted to design a system to give jobs to the boys, you couldn't do better if you tried.

Never having had to seek a mandate from the people of their diocese will inevitably shape the bishops' attitude to power and consent. This swamp of nepotism is a dream for placemen who believe they're born to rule.

It's notable that the Episcopal Church and Church in Wales, while far from perfect, haven't descended to the levels of feudal arrogance seen in England. (Such as bishops taking it on themselves to cook up a "discussion document" that orders their lesbian and gay colleagues to suppress their sexuality for life.)

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'Organist, you've left out the group of Bishops who think that LGBT are medically defective or sinners.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Newspaper article you quote, surprisingly for the odious Jonathan Petre, cites accurately what I said. It was his teaching that I was questioning. I made no statement about his personal life. I think he's a fine theologian. But his teaching is not consonant with scripture, canons, or the tradition of the Church.

I don't doubt that your concern was and is for the teaching of the Church, not the private life of one potential bishop. But could it seriously be suggested that a hypothetical candidate for bishop, with exactly the same views and teaching of Jeffrey John, but who happened to be straight and married, would have faced anything like the same opposition?

There are lots of bishops. They hold widely divergent views. I've even heard it suggested that one or two of them hold to an opinion as utterly contrary to the traditions of the Church of England as Republicanism. Somehow, I don't think you see that as a resigning issue for a bishop.

And that's fine - if an opinion is one that a Christian can in good conscience hold, a Church as committed to tolerance as the CofE should at least in principle accept that some of its leadership may hold it. Do you think there's any chance of the conservatives coming out of this "listening process" convinced that the affirmation of loving and committed same sex relationships is a view that a Christian can in good conscience hold, and that the expression of such views within the Church is fully acceptable, even if they personally would disagree?

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm sure the pro-women hermeneutics are made in good faith, but the Greek didn't change after 2,000 years. Society changed, and an interpretive framework used to reconcile scripture with that change.

Interpretation of any text, let alone an ancient text in a dead language, is an active, two-way process. We don't passively receive meaning: we inject as much as we take. We must. Nature of texts.

These two passages are saying two different things. The first says that there is a single correct and clear meaning of the text, and the text is wrong. Any hermeneutic effort to reinterpret the clear meaning is well-meaning but misguided. The second paragraph says the meaning of the text is relative to the society in which it is being interpreted, and therefore the hermeneutic efforts of the pro-women camp are sound at least in principle.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
These two passages are saying two different things. The first says that there is a single correct and clear meaning of the text, and the text is wrong. Any hermeneutic effort to reinterpret the clear meaning is well-meaning but misguided. The second paragraph says the meaning of the text is relative to the society in which it is being interpreted, and therefore the hermeneutic efforts of the pro-women camp are sound at least in principle.

The second paragraph is about the meaning we bring to a text. The text exists independently of that, and has a probable meaning, when assessed linguistically, and relative to the society which created it. Semiotics aren't a crapshoot.
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
quote:
The Newspaper article you quote, surprisingly for the odious Jonathan Petre, cites accurately what I said. It was his teaching that I was questioning. I made no statement about his personal life. I think he's a fine theologian. But his teaching is not consonant with scripture, canons, or the tradition of the Church.

I don't doubt that your concern was and is for the teaching of the Church, not the private life of one potential bishop. But could it seriously be suggested that a hypothetical candidate for bishop, with exactly the same views and teaching of Jeffrey John, but who happened to be straight and married, would have faced anything like the same opposition?
I think you've hit the nail right on the head, here.

If you ignore for a moment that Jeffrey John is gay, his theology is actually pretty conservative; certainly no more liberal or extreme than some C of E bishops (past and present). So the claim that this was all about his teaching is palpably incorrect and odious.

Or are you saying, Pete, that you have checked the teachings of all prospective bishops and have publicly objected to every one whose teachings you find lacking?

(Which of course raises the question: who the fuck are YOU to make such judgements?)

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Does Pete173 believe there's any realistic prospect that a majority of LGBT Anglicans will agree to suppress their sexuality for life?

I rather think that you have this backwards. You are presenting the argument as: "LGBT Anglicans exist. Either Anglicanism changes to permit them to live their lives fully, with integrity, or they go elsewhere. You choose."

That's all fine and pragmatic, and may well be an accurate representation of what might happen, but it's not the question that the church should be addressing.

The question is, fundamentally, is gay OK with God? If the answer is yes, then it follows that the church should bless same-sex relationships, celebrate with gay priests who want to marry, and so on.

If, on the other hand, gay is not OK, then the church must not endorse it. The church should not bless a gay relationship any more than it should bless an adulterous one, or a bank robbery enterprise, or any other sinful undertaking. It would then follow that priests who are willful and unrepentant sinners should be subject to discipline.

That's the question. All the flannel about being relevant to the younger generation and so on lends urgency to the decision, but it cannot and must not obscure the fundamental issue.

And like pete173, I don't see how you can possibly end up with a "two integrities" model here. This is an all-or-nothing choice, and the fact is that a significant number of people on the losing side are likely to walk. That's unfortunate, but I don't see a way of avoiding it.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's the question. All the flannel about being relevant to the younger generation and so on lends urgency to the decision, but it cannot and must not obscure the fundamental issue.

I wholly agree with this, and as regards all church teaching.

On the other hand... the church has been OK with a startling number of things that I think are terrible and wrong to one degree or another. We have priests and bishops who deny central tenets of the Christian faith, up to and including the Resurrection of Christ and possibly basic theism. As far as adultery goes, does the church really check to make sure that those who have been divorced and remarried have done so in ways which are not themselves adulterous? And so on.

(Back when I was not convinced of the ordination of women, and saw lots of people I knew jumping ship for breakaway Anglican groups, this was on my mind. They had swallowed the camel of Spong's theology while straining at the gnat of openly sexually active gay clergy. I stayed in TEC, by the way, on the grounds that the attitude of most people seemed more to be aiming at love rather than doctrinal rectitude.)

If the church is not universally clear about incredibly basic things like the divinity of Christ, is it really fair to expect it to be in universal agreement about sexual morality?

Given that, what should be done as regards its formal policy? I don't know. Maybe treat sexuality issues between consenting adults as a pastoral issue for the time being (and therefore not treat it as an obstacle to ordination)?

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And like pete173, I don't see how you can possibly end up with a "two integrities" model here. This is an all-or-nothing choice, and the fact is that a significant number of people on the losing side are likely to walk. That's unfortunate, but I don't see a way of avoiding it.

Perhaps, but to defer the decision indefinitely with endless kicking it into the long grass hardly seems a fair way to treat who ever has to leave. And pronouncing yourselves not homophobic and not kicking it into the long grass while continuing to do so is very shabby. Is the goal really to make both sides walk?

Who asked for this two year facile conversation anyhow? Pete seems to think it's futile and I haven't heard of a gay Anglican (at least on the ship) who wants yet another indefinite delay.

[ 08. September 2014, 07:52: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not going to engage with Oscar's permanently angry rants at me, I'm afraid.

As to the question "why are we in this process?" - the answer is that I'm not sure. But a bit like the OOW discussions, this is the only ball in play at present, so I guess we have to go with it. Those arguing for change are, I recognise, impatient. But the impatience is based on the presupposition that the Church must acquiesce in what Government has done and that it's pellucidly clear that we should introduce blessings and marriages into the CofE. But that's not where the whole Church is. So you have to win hearts and minds and achieve legislative and liturgical change (which of course go together). The conversations are prior to this.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the CofE now permit marriage to a deceased spouse's sibling? It's not an exact parallel, of course, but it is an example of a change in the state's understanding of marriage which the Church did not share at the time, on a principled ground.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the state can be said to have an understanding of marriage. Plenty of people pontificate on it of course, but that's a very different thing.

All the state requires you to do is to make the marriage vows, which relate to the fact you are legally entitled to be married (consanguinity, not already married), and that you freely enter into the state of marriage to the stated other person.

I think it would be fairer to say that the state regards marriage as being a state freely chosen by (currently two) people, leading to certain entitlements and obligations. So far as meaning is concerned, that is left to the participants to bring to the union themselves.

Correct me if I am wrong. But if you want to make marriage in church to be the same as civil marriage, it would be a prerequisite that you first evacuate it of all externally imposed meaning. Not just some understandings. That's not the same thing as making it meaningless - it's shifting the locus of meaning from the corporate to the individual sphere.

These observations apply solely to the UK, specifically England - though I think Scotland is the same I haven't checked. It will certainly be different elsewhere.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The state has a view on the nature of marriage insofar as it makes laws about who can be legally married, the procedures which are required to create and dissolve a legal marriage, and the grounds upon which a marriage may be dissolved, if any. Churches will also have views on the nature of marriage which will encompass the matters about which the state has views, and probably some more. Even where tthere is an established or quasi-established church the views of church and state on these matters will not necessarily coincide: but where you have a church which has a legal obligation to carry out marriages (as has the CofE and CinW) some accommodation has to be, and usually is, reached.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Pete173
quote:
As to the question "why are we in this process?" - the answer is that I'm not sure. But a bit like the OOW discussions, this is the only ball in play at present, so I guess we have to go with it. Those arguing for change are, I recognise, impatient. But the impatience is based on the presupposition that the Church must acquiesce in what Government has done and that it's pellucidly clear that we should introduce blessings and marriages into the CofE. But that's not where the whole Church is. So you have to win hearts and minds and achieve legislative and liturgical change (which of course go together). The conversations are prior to this.
Wrong about the OOW, wrong about LGBT people.

1. There was nothing to stop any bishop ordaining women, they just chose not to: Li Tim Oi (Florence) gave the lie to the claim that OOW was impossible. *

If ++Robert had had the balls he could have just decided to ordain a woman or two and face the row afterwards.

2. All that the 'conversations' about OOW achieved was to make the church a laughing stock with the unchurched, cause lasting and permanent splits within the CofE which have only worsened with time, and diminished the standing of the CofE with some other denominations, such as the RCC and various Orthodox.

3. All that the CofE is now achieving with this charade about LGBT people is to alienate some of the unchurched who were still prepared to give us the benefit of the doubt.

By and large we have completely lost the trust of LGBT people - actions such as the withdrawal of the original elevation of Jeffrey John have been among the most cack-handed PR disasters ever, plus showing up the CofE for having a lot of un-Christian bigoted nutters closely involved in its governance.

4. The HoB's latest wheeze but shines another light (if it were needed) on the intractable nature of the discord and uncharity within the hierarchy of the CoE - but adds for good measure the preparedness of some of its members to act with all the sensitivity of middle ages dominicans in pursuit of clergy who have the temerity to be honest about themselves and their relationships.

5. Perhaps the worst thing is that you, bishop, immediately accuse of impatience or naivety anyone who is fed up with the fence-sitting and officially duplicitous attitude of some of you: according to you we are simply creatures, slavishly willing to accept the relationships of LGBT Christians and wanting them to have the same chance to ask for God's blessing on them and their partner because the government decided this might be a better way to behave. I'm hard-put to decide whether it is ignorance or arrogance that prompts this reaction - but neither is Christian.

6. By clinging onto the need for 'legislation' the HoB shows just how threadbare any of its arguments - whether for change or the status quo - really are. I'd remind you bishop that, notwithstanding the administrative hangover that requires changes to Canon Law to receive Crown assent, the CofE doesn't legislate, it votes on rules pertaining to its adherents only.

**In fact the disgraceful treatment she received after the war not only does the Anglican church no credit; indeed, it could be argued that by acting in such a way - and the other provinces doing nothing to protest about it or reinstate Ms Li - the Anglican church fatally compromised its own argument about the integrity and validity of its orders. Don't forget she had done nothing wrong but was nevertheless stripped of her orders, effectively saying there had been no ordination.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was really responding to your earlier post, Albertus. Maybe it might have been clearer if I had just said that what had changed was the definition of appropriate consanguinity, rather than any core understanding of the nature of marriage.

But of course some accommodation needs to be reached - no disagreement there. My point is more that as the law currently stands, civil marriage is simply a state of being that you make a declaration of. The civil state certainly does have views relating to matters such as age, number of parties, how to wind up the partnership etc. as you say. But those things relate to practical issues such as the structure of the partnership. Currently no effort is made AFAIK to examine issues of purpose, either understood or explicitly stated. Though you could say that it has consciously excluded certain unacceptable interpretations on the periphery, e.g. by excluding underage marriages.

The purpose of this excursion is really just to make the general point that civil marriage is a simple partnership framework. Given that, any attempt to bring an understanding of purpose into the legal picture will cause a narrowing of who that framework can be applied to. It's just a logical inevitability, that's all. Meaning brings exclusion. Who we deem it acceptable to exclude is in the hands of those whose hands are on the levers of power. Nothing new there.

Anyway, probably enough of a tangent!

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Excellent post, l'organist.

(One point of information, though: the law of the CofE is part of the law of the land and this is especially relevant in respect of marriage, where any parishioner- not just an 'adherent' of the CofE- has a legal right to be married in the parish church. The CinW, whose law is simply a set of rules to which its adherents assent, is anomalously in a similar position as regards the legal right of parishioners to be married in church.)

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Thanks, HRB. I would agree with pretty much everything that you say. Tangent closed!

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... But the impatience is based on the presupposition that the Church must acquiesce in what Government has done ...

You absolutely could not be more wrong if you tried. The impatience is based on LGBT people, having gained some acceptance in secular society, wondering why, when they go to church, they're still having to put up with the spiritual equivalent of queer-bashing.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
pete173:
quote:
Those arguing for change are, I recognise, impatient. But the impatience is based on the presupposition that the Church must acquiesce in what Government has done...
Not in my case it isn't. I believe that LGBT people should be held to the same standards in their sexual relationships as straight people. To me, that means the option of getting married should be open to them as well. It should also mean that they are subject to the same sanctions as others who are guilty of sexual sins. How many churches do you know who throw people out for fornication? How many PCCs are in the habit of cross-examining straight clergy on their sex lives?

I agree with you about the 'two integrities' approach though; it didn't work with the ordination of women, merely prolonged the agony, as the fiasco over women bishops has shown.

Byron:
quote:
I'm sure the pro-women hermeneutics are made in good faith, but the Greek didn't change after 2,000 years.
You're right: 3 Galatians 28 has always said 'in Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither slave nor free, neither male nor female.' It's not Paul's fault that it took 2,000 years to sink in.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
I believe that LGBT people should be held to the same standards in their sexual relationships as straight people. To me, that means the option of getting married should be open to them as well. It should also mean that they are subject to the same sanctions as others who are guilty of sexual sins. How many churches do you know who throw people out for fornication? How many PCCs are in the habit of cross-examining straight clergy on their sex lives?

[Overused]

Actually when I was exploring ordination in the Diocese of Southwark 20-odd years ago it was made clear to me by my DDO that if I were to move in with my then-girlfriend it would not be well received. But I knew of at least two gay men who were cohabiting (not with each other) who were accepted for training,, and subsequently ordained, there around that time. For all that I am pleased that those men were ordained, I felt, and still feel, that Southwark, in its ever-so-nicely-liberal way, was being rather hypocritical.

[ 08. September 2014, 11:50: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

I suppose the justification, if they had been pushed to one, would have been that at that time if I had wanted to live with my girlfriend we could have got married but gay couples could not. Now that marriage is available to all- indeed, I'd say ever since civil partnerships came in- it is no longer possible to say that. So the Church's discipline can be more honestly and evenly and effectively applied. This is why SSM strengthens marriage.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, funny how that works, isn't it. I shared a house with my Other Half (for economic reasons) before we got married, but nobody except an atheist friend actually believed we weren't having sex until after the wedding*...

Albertus, presumably the 'no cohabiting' rule was to maintain plausible deniability? Or did the DDO insist on chaperoning all your meetings with your girlfriend? [Devil]

*Note to younger readers: all our contemporaries thought we were weird, too.**

** there are two ways of construing the statement "nobody believed we weren't having sex until after the wedding" - think about it, and then ask yourself whether forbidding same-sex marriage is promoting or discouraging "homosexual acts"...

[ 08. September 2014, 12:03: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Plausible deniability sums it up, I think! Although as it happens we did both have rather old-fashioned (even then) views about saving some things until marriage was at least in prospect as a possibility.

Small tangent: I knew a couple who were cohabiting and wished to present themselves as merely flatsharing (to the DSS, not the church). Aha, said the DSS, you must be ochabiting, you've even got the same surname! No, they said, those are our birth surnames, it's just a coincidence that they're the same (which was perfectly true). Sorry, our mistake, said the DSS- so they got away with it!

[ 08. September 2014, 12:14: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Yes, funny how that works, isn't it. I shared a house with my Other Half (for economic reasons) before we got married, but nobody except an atheist friend actually believed we weren't having sex until after the wedding*...

An organist friend and his then-fiancee bought a house together a few months before their wedding (because that's how the logistics worked out.) The PCC at his church made it quite clear that if he wished to remain as organist, he would be lodging with the churchwarden and his wife, rather than living (in separate bedrooms!) with his fiancee. This was less than a decade ago.

I rather think the PCC had in mind the avoidance of "notorious offender" status, rather than any particular desire to police his bedroom.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Aah, the honesty and integrity of the CofE laid bare.

Yes, even Southwark concerned not to be seen as condoning a sexual relationship between two committed heterosexual single people who were engaged to be married but who were quite prepared to keep quiet about predatory paedophiles in their midst.

Not just to keep quiet either but to actually joke about their predilections - I still recall with a shudder hearing a priest smirkingly described by a fellow cleric as 'unfailing in his informal youth work with young lads'. (Yes, I did do something about it, I got in touch with his AD, although now I think I should have gone straight to the local constabulary.)

Dammit, we had a diocese which was renowned as early as the 1960s as being a refuge for those untruthworthy with a parish elsewhere, not just for reasons of laziness, doctrinal weirdness or incompetence but with an even then unsavoury reputation for being prepared to act as a haven for those suspected of harbouring 'unhealthy desires' for the young.

But no, we must be seen not to have co-habiting organists or ordinands.

You couldn't make it up.

By their actions and pronouncements the HoB are worthy and faithful successors to the hypocritical jokers of the past.

[ 08. September 2014, 13:03: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not going to engage with Oscar's permanently angry rants at me, I'm afraid.

Since I'm neither angry nor ranting, and accept that you are arguing in good faith, would you mind answering my similar points?

quote:
Those arguing for change are, I recognise, impatient. But the impatience is based on the presupposition that the Church must acquiesce in what Government has done and that it's pellucidly clear that we should introduce blessings and marriages into the CofE. But that's not where the whole Church is. So you have to win hearts and minds and achieve legislative and liturgical change (which of course go together). The conversations are prior to this.
While it would indeed be lovely if gay Christians fortunate enough to have a sympathetic priest and supportive Christian fellowship could get married in their regular place of worship*, that wasn't what I was challenging you about.

I made two main points. The first was that views which many straight Christians hold without encountering any difficulty or controversy will result in personal attack, intrusive questionning, and opposition to ministry if the person holding them identifies as gay. Would you deny that?

The second was that conservatives on the same-sex relationships issue do not treat this disagreement as we as a Church treat just about any other issue on which we disagree. We are, as a general rule, able to disagree about ethical issues without making acceptance of one position or another some sort of acid test of Biblical orthodoxy. Remarriage after divorce is an excellent example, where some Christians hold it to be possible and in some cases worthy, and others that it is either impossible or sinful. The CofE manages that by permitting a free exercise of conscience. It does pretend, or need to pretend, that the Church speaks with one voice on the subject.

That would, quite obviously, work for gay marriage as well. We could import the whole theoretical structure without any substantial change, and let priests celebrate gay weddings if they were willing to do so, and to decline to do so if not. We know it's workable, because we've done it already.

So when conservatives try to make it sound as if their implacable opposition to gay marriage isn't personal, and yet refuse to treat it like any other disagreement, while markedly demonstrating more hostility to their gay antagonists than to their straight ones, it seems highly unconvincing to me. I doubt that I'm alone in that.

(*You know, just like every other fucker in the country can, if they so choose).

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

The thing is, if you want to commit fornication you don't have to be living together. All that living apart does is maintain Plausible Deniability, as I said earlier.

If it's the kind of thing that matters to you, then fine. Personally I think whether or not the organist is a good musician is rather more important than the exact nature of his relationship with his fiancée, but if he shares your beliefs on the Sanctity of Marriage and says he isn't sleeping with his fiancée, why would you refuse to accept his assurance? If we are called to be counter-cultural, shouldn't we be challenging the assumption that two people living in the same house will inevitably end up having sex?

[x-post: that was a reply to Leorning Cniht]

[ 08. September 2014, 13:10: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016