homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Kerygmania   » Help thou my unbelief

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Help thou my unbelief
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Mark 9:24 after the Transfiguation, Christ heals a possessed boy. In the Authorized Version in a wonderful and paradoxical phrase (and one to me deeply encouraging) the father responds to Christ’s saying “I believe; help thou mine unbelief”.

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=unbelief&version=AKJV&resultspp=25

Some recent translations play down the paradox, “help my lack of faith” or “help me where faith falls short”.* What is the word in Greek translated “unbelief”? It is an unusual English word.

*I’m sure I’ve come across this somewhere.

PS I'm no great enthusiast for the use of archaic translations usually.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Greek word is απιστια. The initial α is a negative prefix. The root πιστ occurs in the word which is translated as 'believe'.

It seems to me that 'unbelief' is a perfectly reasonable translation.

Apparently the word is not otherwise found anywhere.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
VenBede

There is a good website called Greek Bible and it gives the world as ἀπιστίᾳ. This is a compound noun and its etymology is ἀ πιστίᾳ with πίστις -εως -ἡ being greek for "faith". There appears to be in the sentence a change from I believe (verb) to unbelief(noun)

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's quite possible the father made up the word on the spot. He needed a contradiction for 'belief' so he coined 'unbelief'.

This kind of thing is quite common in all languages.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, he probably did not use ἀπιστία, after all, he was likely to be talking Aramaic and it is a Greek word. Using Google scholar I get the following noun
"כְּפִירָה" - heresy, apostasy, unbelief, denial, disbelief, agnosticism

There are rather more options for "lacking faith".

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like you, venbede, I've always found this statement encouraging.

I think "unbelief" is a perfectly fine word here, and I like it even more if it IS made up (and if he made it up in Aramaic as well, so much the better). The man, as I see it, was teetering on the border between his preconceptions and what he sees right in front of him. If that powerful moment left him grasping for the right word to express himself, that makes him only the more real to me.

[ 28. February 2017, 03:21: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Putting my literary translator's hat on, this looks like a very literary, and therefore very Greek, figure to me. Potentially even poetic - the parallelism between belief and unbelief. I am seriously sceptical that it had an existence before its appearance in the Greek text, though the encounter as a whole may well have an Aramaic original encounter behind it.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The enemy of faith is not doubt, it is certitude.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Playing further, I looked at the interlinear Peshitta. The translation of unbelief is two words that are translated "lack of my faith". Looking at the words and afaict (given I cannot read Aramaic) there may be at least partial parallelism.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016