homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Literary comfort food (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Literary comfort food
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of my favorite comfort reads are Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, John Christopher's Tripod books, Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series, and classic mysteries (I love Dorothy Sayers and Georgette Heyer).

Our Mutual Friend is my favorite Dickens. It has a great deal of everything in it, including some of the funniest writing in English. (I dare you to read the description of the Podsnap Plate without laughing.)

I try to save Pride and Prejudice for times when the anxiety is getting dire. It's what I read after the election last week.

[typo]

[ 18. November 2016, 18:27: Message edited by: snowgoose ]

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3861 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snowgoose:
Some of my favorite comfort reads are Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, John Christopher's Tripod books, Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series, and classic mysteries (I love Dorothy Sayers and Georgette Heyer).

Our Mutual Friend is my favorite Dickens.

I agree with you about Dorothy Sayers' and Georgette Heyer's mysteries. I wish Heyer had written more of them. I also like most Margery Allingham's.

I am currently in the process of re-reading Our Mutual Friend. It's my favorite Dickens novel also.

Moo

[ 18. November 2016, 20:58: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19709 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A remark about prayer lists in the Ideal C of E Clergyman thread reminded me of the redoubtable Miss Julia in Ann B. Ross's books. They take place in the modern American south, and the author has it nailed. I read some of them when they first appeared, and thought they began very well indeed, but got a bit ragged and less believable as the series developed. Still fun to read, though. The prayer list stuck in my mind because there was an occasion where the ladies needed more details about someone's ailment before they could really pray properly for them. It was not the only occasion I know of where the prayer list doubles as the social announcements page.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 652 | From: All over the place | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In undergrad, I had a nasty chest cold which confined me to bed for a week, and a friend came by my room with a Rumpole omnibus. If there was one problem, it's that I couldn't get Leo McKern out of my mind, but it was a great way to spend a week in bed.

I heartily agree with Palimpsest's recommendation of Mary Renault's novels. In a similar, but more recent vein, I'd suggest Madeleine Miller's The Song of Achilles, about the friendship between Achilles and Patroclos, from the perspective of the latter. I know some people don't like it, but I found it an engaging distraction at a difficult time.

Olivia Manning's The Balkan Trilogy and The Levant Trilogy (I preferred the former, but both good) are like eating peanuts.

Someone suggested Graham Greene. The shorter ones, while not necessarily comforting, are enjoyable and can be consumed in an afternoon, e.g., Dr Fischer of Geneva.

As to Robertson Davies, I've lost count of the number of times that I've read the Deptford Trilogy, and three times the Cornish Trilogy. I've actually gone through Jungian analysis as a result of having to study Fifth Business in high school: testament to the strength of the novel and the teacher. Literature does matter.

I recently reread The Little Prince before giving it to my godson. The conversation between the Prince and the fox still is compelling.

Posts: 91 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post, but as I was thinking about being bedridden.... Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time.

And, to add, Brideshead Revisited.

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite convalescent reading has to be detective novels from the Golden Age of crime writing. A few have been mentioned already: Josephine Tey, Dorothy L Sayers and Margery Allingham (Tiger in the Smoke!), but I also like Edmund Crispin (svelte campy Oxford dramas) and Ngaio Marsh. And of course old Agatha Christies, wooden dialogue and creaky plots but unputdownable.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 56 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Oh, in non-fiction, any of James Herriot's books.

And his son's book The Real James Herriot.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2491 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

As I lay abed last night, another came to mind. In the Young Adult category, Geoffrey Trease's Word to Caesar, a ripping yarn about a boy's adventure in trying to get a message to Emperor Hadrian. I haven't read it since I was 12 (?), and it still sticks in mind. I might even try to track it down for myself, come to think of it.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does sound interesting. Alas, very difficult to find in the US.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 3761 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's available in paperback on Amazon.com for a reasonable price but there appear to be only a few left.

See here.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

Posts: 47282 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
...Someone suggested Graham Greene. The shorter ones, while not necessarily comforting, are enjoyable and can be consumed in an afternoon, e.g., Dr Fischer of Geneva...

I agree. I find that the thing about Graham Greene is that he may not be comforting, but he makes you feel that it's OK to be gloomy or troubled- which is a pretty good alternative.

[ 15. December 2016, 20:00: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6175 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Avey
Apprentice
# 18701

- Posted      Profile for Avey     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone read Gene Wolfe's "Books of the New Sun"? These are hard to categorise but are broadly between science fiction and fantasy but written by a deeply Christian yet very tricksy author.

Not quite allegory and certainly not derivative the books follow the adventures of the apprentice of the Torturers Guild Severian and are really unprecedented in sic-fi literature.

I re-read these annually. A fun game is spot the obscure saint in character names [Biased]

Posts: 9 | From: London UK | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved Geoffrey Trease's historical fiction when I was a child - perhaps part of the reason I became a historian. I'm delighted to see some of them still in print; I may try to track down 'Cue for Treason' which was my favourite.
Posts: 863 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

I just looked up Cue for Treason. Christmas gifts already addressed, but perhaps for birthday, or for no particular reason. It looks great.

Last year the younger godson (then turning 5) got a book for his birthday, and said to me, "What? Just a book? No toy?" I tried to explain that a book is much more than a toy. I didn't try to explain that he already had a gross of toys, many now ignored.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the time to read or re-read "Father Christmas" by Raymond Briggs, another of my favourites. We have our own copy from when our children were small, and we've just sent off more of them to our grandchildren. A cultural necessity.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 652 | From: All over the place | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

Since Robertson Davies has been mentioned more than once on this thread, and it is the Christmas season, I mention his short story collection High Spirits, an anthology of ghost stories he wrote for Gaudy Nights at Massey College when he was Master there. Some of them are quite good.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016