homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Chillies, peppers and gingers (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Chillies, peppers and gingers
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, ice cream will work - anything fatty will do the job - but a sorbet won't!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

Posts: 47628 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'd like some advice: the current jar of chilli powder in the cupboard chez Piglet is labelled "Ancho" (I think it just happened to be what D. bought in the supermarket).

It's very dark-coloured, and D., who uses it to flavour the oil he fries onions in to make cheesy potato mash, said he was wary of overdoing it, as it looked a bit fierce.

How does it differ from ordinary chilli powder?

I'll expand a bit on my answer.

Ancho peppers are dried Poblano peppers. Poblanos are big, meaty peppers, with a little more heat and flavor than bell peppers, but a step below Anaheims in terms of heat. Poblanos are often served stuffed, or cut into strips and on a tortilla with just a little cheese.

Anchos have a sweet, earthy taste, and less heat than standard store brand chili powder. You hear comparisons to dark stone fruits, and fresh tobacco. Anchos are one of the main launching off points if you want to go away from American-style Mexican food and toward Mexican style Mexican food. I think it has only been in the last few years that mainstream American grocery stores have carried Ancho powder.

The other cautionary note is that store-brand chili powder is often something more than just chili- it often contains salt, granulated garlic, oregano, or other herbs and spices. So it won't necessarily be a perfect 1 to 1 substitution.

I'd play around with it, and if you don't like it in the recipe it was intended for, it makes for a good meat rub along with coriander, cumin, garlic, Mexican oregano, and salt, and if you add some vinegar to that rub and marinade some thin strips of pork or chicken, you are on your way to some awesome street-style tacos.

[ 25. October 2016, 15:09: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 2958 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Og - that was more-or-less the answer I expected - I had a feeling that "smokiness" came into the equation somewhere. In practical terms, it probably means we can be a bit less wimpy about it. [Big Grin]

eta: I'll second what people are saying about milky things as a cooling agent when eating curries or chillies - cucumber-and-yoghurt raita is lovely with Indian-style curries, and if I'm ordering Mexican food, I nearly always ask for extra soured cream, which moderates things nicely.

[ 25. October 2016, 22:19: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
"It's not so much the toes", said Piglet, "as the ears". A. A. Milne
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18515 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite way of eating food above my scoville scale limits (up to a wimpy 10,000 units [Hot and Hormonal] ) is to add sour cream, yogurt, or crema as a garnish. That way I can enjoy the burn from a safe distance.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21072 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

I'd play around with it, and if you don't like it in the recipe it was intended for, it makes for a good meat rub along with coriander, cumin, garlic, Mexican oregano, and salt, and if you add some vinegar to that rub and marinade some thin strips of pork or chicken, you are on your way to some awesome street-style tacos.

And cocoa powder. Not too much, 30 grams/2 tablespoons, it gives the rub or sauce a richer flavour.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 15202 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Host
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
No, that wasn't what I was thinking at all (on that front, the worst I've done is get a finger a bit near my eyes when I scratched an itch with inadequately-washed hands.)

I thought of that this morning as I hurried to the station realizing all too late that I'd just put in my contact lens with fingers I thought I'd washed well enough but which still evidently had a trace of chilli sauce on them.

There's not a lot you can do about that when it's dark and you're hurrying along a gritty street, except make a mental note to be more careful next time.

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
What's your take on chillies, peppers and ginger in food or drink? The more the merrier, or not for you? Are you happy at the further end of the Scoville scale, or is a mere glance from a distance enough? Are any of these kitchen essentials for you, or do you prefer life without them?

(The general heading also includes such things as peri-peri and harissa. If it sets fire to your palate, it's in there.)

I'm Mexican(-American) so for me, chilies are a matter of personal identity as much as they are of cooking. I'm not even joking. The phrase "Mexicans eat chile" is something I heard often growing up. We would always bring back chilies on our trips to Mexico, either canned or bags of roasted and dried chilies. There always were chilies around the house and all different kinds were easy to get in our neighborhood.

I don't eat it all that much (not like some people in my family) but that being said, I'll reach for the hot sauce or salsa as often as not. A lot of food just tastes bland to me without a little bit of chile so for me it is a kitchen essential. I don't need it to be very hot. It's more about the flavor.

My favorite dish is enchiladas which by definition has chile:
quote:
The Real Academia Española defines the word enchilada, as used in Mexico, as a rolled maize tortilla stuffed with meat and covered with a tomato and chili sauce.[1][2] Enchilada is the past participle of Spanish enchilar, "to add chili pepper to", literally to "season (or decorate) with chili".[3]
My mom makes the enchilada sauce with chocolate, among other ingredients.

P.S.
Oh yeah, if something is too spicy eat some tortilla or bread, or have or drink some dairy food (milk, sour cream, etc.) That usually does the trick. It's always a good idea to have some sour cream on the side for this or to add to food to tone down the spice.

[ 04. November 2016, 03:02: Message edited by: Pancho ]

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1973 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love enchiladas! Yesterday I went to a Dia de los Muertas celebration and had chicken mole (red chile and chocolate sauce) enchiladas for lunch. And to top it off I ordered delicious fried plantains in dulce leche sauce for dessert. Oh. My. God. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21072 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Love enchiladas! Yesterday I went to a Dia de los Muertas celebration and had chicken mole (red chile and chocolate sauce) enchiladas for lunch. And to top it off I ordered delicious fried plantains in dulce leche sauce for dessert. Oh. My. God. [Yipee]

Sorry, I kept forgetting about this thread but yes, enchiladas are awesome and I'm craving some right now. The other night I had some spicy nachos with cheese that were surprisingly good and tasted like they also had chorizo. Mexican chorizo is usually spicier and crumblier than the Spanish kind and goes good with everything. I need to ask some family members to show me how to make it.

Lyda*Rose, you must know that in Southern California it's not that hard to find street vendors selling fresh fruit like mangoes sprinkled with chili or corn on the cob slathered in mayonnaise and sprinkled with chili. Oh, and the fried plantains you mentioned: I had some a while back made with some kind of cream but yours with dulce de leche sound just as good. I loved dulce de leche as a child, specifically that kind made with goat's milk we call cajeta.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We grow a few varieties of chilli - chocolate habanero, birds eye, dutch bonnet etc. We have jars of chilli jam for when we can't pick them fresh from the garden. We use them in stir-fries, and curries, and sometimes sliced raw in a vietnamese style dipping sauce for rice-paper rolls (spring rolls that are not deep fries).

LKKelderson always carries a bottle of chilli or tabasco sauce in case he finds the meals too bland.

PS. The heat doesn't seem to affect Currawongs. If we are not careful they will strip a bush of the ripe birdseye chillis.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2563 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ginger I use in curries and stir-fries, and I like stem ginger in syrup.

Capsicums/peppers I like best in Mediterranean vegetables. I roast/char them on the BBQ with eggplant/aubergine/melanzane and zucchini/courgettes sprinkled with a dressing of olive oil and perhaps garlic or lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2563 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
The heat doesn't seem to affect Currawongs. If we are not careful they will strip a bush of the ripe birdseye chillis.

Make sure that you don't have a mulberry tree nearby. The aperient effect of the chillis added to the usual problem with mulberries would be disastrous.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6004 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was once told that the best way to preserve chopped fresh ginger was in a very dry sherry in a jar in the fridge. I never had enough sherry left over to try it but it sounds good.

--------------------

Posts: 47628 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I was once told that the best way to preserve chopped fresh ginger was in a very dry sherry in a jar in the fridge. I never had enough sherry left over to try it but it sounds good.

60 or more years ago, fresh ginger was a rare commodity here and preservation in dry sherry was the accepted way of dealing with what had not been used. At the end, the well flavoured sherry went into the dish as well. Not by any means authentic cookery of any Chinese tradition, but it worked well.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6004 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Some years ago I ordered ginger in my grocery order. I expected what I thought would be a misshapen lump roughly as big as a large thumb.

The picker obviously had no idea what he was doing. I was charged a small amount but when I opened bag, there was almost a kilo of ginger. I bought the sherry and chopped ginger into it. It worked well and the sherry tasted good too, much better than I usually expect sherry to taste. I am not a fan of it. I wondered about brandy as well but probably would not have used it often enough to justify the use.

[ 14. December 2016, 20:16: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 8794 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love 'em all (chiles, peppers, ginger), and in winter I drink a concoction called "fire cider"--raw apple cider, honey, oranges, lemons, onions, ginger, horseradish, habañero pepper, garlic, and turmeric. I use it as an overall tonic, and it can stop an incipient cold dead in its tracks. A tablespoon for a daily tonic, and for a cold-stopper, a jigger. There are recipes galore on the internet but I buy it locally. How did I manage without it?

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 398 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have upped my heat intake from zero to now like food medium hot. The one thing I do not like is being served heat without warning in food that is usually not spicy. No do not put peppers into my meat loaf or beef stew. I like the flavor of ginger very much from drinks, candy, to food. Yum

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2517 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
.... At the end, the well flavoured sherry went into the dish as well. Not by any means authentic cookery of any Chinese tradition, but it worked well.

Possibly not authentic, but not a bad substitute for Chinese rice-wine. If I'm making a stir-fry, I start with garlic and ginger, add all the bits and pieces and make a sort of slurry with soy sauce, cornflour and dry sherry if I have any (or a slosh of white wine if I haven't).

--------------------

Posts: 18515 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...but, pray tell, how many sloshes does the average white wine glass hold?

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago I had the great good fortune to be referred to an Indian gastro-enterologist, and we soon found a common interest in spices and what might be done with them. I had to take it easy with the WMD grade chilli at the time, and discovered the delights of ginger instead - a continuing pleasure. Last night I craved something that I could not quite define, and allowed the spirit (or something) to move me... I took a large cup of plain yoghurt, with a teaspoon of dried ginger and some maple syrup to sweeten it just a little, all well stirred, of course. Sheer bliss!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 790 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
...but, pray tell, how many sloshes does the average white wine glass hold?

That may depend on the desired level of sloshedness ... [Big Grin]

For stir-frying purposes, a "slosh" is probably no more than a couple of tablespoons.

--------------------

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
A few years ago I had the great good fortune to be referred to an Indian gastro-enterologist, and we soon found a common interest in spices and what might be done with them. I had to take it easy with the WMD grade chilli at the time, and discovered the delights of ginger instead - a continuing pleasure. Last night I craved something that I could not quite define, and allowed the spirit (or something) to move me... I took a large cup of plain yoghurt, with a teaspoon of dried ginger and some maple syrup to sweeten it just a little, all well stirred, of course. Sheer bliss!

Oooh, must try this.

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2576 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We love hot and/or spicy food, but unfortunately at this point the alliums (onion, garlic, etc.) don't particularly like us. All too often when we ask a restaurant for something without onions or garlic, we get a dish that isn't at all spicy.
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Converging with the recipe thread, I tried WW's good oatcake recipe again, and this time added ginger instead of most of the black pepper. It worked! I happened to have some gorgonzola around, and when they were introduced to each other it became a marriage made in heaven.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 790 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been off the curries since the start of the year for a diet, I went for a chicken curry on Saturday night. Thing is, I added a padron pepper, as these are typically fairly mild. Though I'd heard an urban myth that one in twelve was incredibly hot.

Urban myth no more. I didn't make it into church on Sunday.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3439 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, you must have gotten my padron!
I was looking forward to some padron magic a couple of years ago in Mallorca and ate almost the whole dish myself and there was not one in there [Frown]

I have grown lots of varieties, but stick with one Apache a year. Nagas were fun, but as mentioned before you had to be very careful with washing your hands etc.

I haven`t tried Anchos yet but will do when I perfect my smokers. The next crop of Apache are soaking up some water and will be "planted" tomorrow even though last years has survived the winter in the hallway and is showing flower buds already, yum! [Devil]

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 348 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to revive this thread, but the other night I had a pizza. I ordered a nice vegetarian one, because I thought I could put my own chillis on.

So I chopped up 3 chillis, which is enough normally for an evening meal. For two. With leftovers. But I like my spiciness.

The problem is, when you get it done before cooking, they spread the chillis evenly over the pizza. Mine were frozen, and not spread quite so well. Meaning that in one mouthful, I had 2 chillis (at least). And my mouth was in AGONY. Pleasant agony, actually, but quite a hit.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18060 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gingers and peppers are fine for me and chillies were as well....but i've very suddenly gone clean off chillies. Overnight.

My Dad was very suspicious of anything with too much ginger in...unless it was a cake.

--------------------
Our only business is to love and to delight ourselves in God.
Brother Lawrence

Posts: 3024 | From: "....hallelujah for all of my days......" | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How have I not seen this earlier? Used to grow a dozen chile varieties back in the day, some of which were just...obscure. There was a semi-domesticated Bolivian C. exile that was just cool—tiny leaves, a distinctly "twiggy" structure, chiletepin-type fruit would have made a great bonsai. Don't think the fruit had much taste, but that wasn't the point.

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
PS. The heat doesn't seem to affect Currawongs. If we are not careful they will strip a bush of the ripe birdseye chillis.

Birds can't taste capsicum. In theory, mammals, whose digestive tracts destroy chile seeds, won't eat the fruit, while birds, who won't destroy the seeds, will eat the fruit and spread the seeds. Ironically, the fact that at least one mammal species is attracted to that defense mechanism has made chiles among the most widely distributed genera on the planet.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6802 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
We love hot and/or spicy food, but unfortunately at this point the alliums (onion, garlic, etc.) don't particularly like us. All too often when we ask a restaurant for something without onions or garlic, we get a dish that isn't at all spicy.

Find an Indian restaurant run by Hindus or Parsis (can be harder than it seems as many 'Indian' restaurants are really Bangladeshi or Pakistani), or a Buddhist-run restaurant. Members of all three religions often abstain from onion and garlic, and use asafoetida instead. Worth ringing up ahead.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5190 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Sorry to revive this thread, but the other night I had a pizza. I ordered a nice vegetarian one, because I thought I could put my own chillis on.

So I chopped up 3 chillis, which is enough normally for an evening meal. For two. With leftovers. But I like my spiciness.

The problem is, when you get it done before cooking, they spread the chillis evenly over the pizza. Mine were frozen, and not spread quite so well. Meaning that in one mouthful, I had 2 chillis (at least). And my mouth was in AGONY. Pleasant agony, actually, but quite a hit.

For what it's worth, in my corner of California, jalapeños (and chorizo) are a common ingredient on pizza. I'd rather have jalapeños on my pizza than pineapple. (Though I can still deal with pineapple. Pizza is pizza.) I had a shrimp cocktail the other night and it had bits of jalapeño too.

I've never had a pizza in New Mexico but I wouldn't be surprised if you can get them there with green chilies on top. In New Mexico, they put green chilies on everything.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
I've never had a pizza in New Mexico but I wouldn't be surprised if you can get them there with green chilies on top. In New Mexico, they put green chilies on everything.

Out in God's Country, the challenge is finding a joint worth eating at that doesn't have green chiles as an option.

ETA: "That's a vacuous statement. Things are worth eating simply because they have green chile" Okay, true. Got me there. I did work on the backcountry staff that got some guff from central commissary for ordering 12 cans of green chile every week. They thought we were hoarders. We were actually running short.

[ 25. March 2017, 20:58: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6802 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pomona--

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Find an Indian restaurant run by Hindus or Parsis (can be harder than it seems as many 'Indian' restaurants are really Bangladeshi or Pakistani), or a Buddhist-run restaurant. Members of all three religions often abstain from onion and garlic, and use asafoetida instead. Worth ringing up ahead.

Asafoetida is edible? And doesn't it have a horrid smell? (That's the "foetid" part of the name.) IIRC, during long-ago European plagues, people would wear it around their necks to keep people and their contagion away.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 16818 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Madhur Jaffrey's An Invitation to Indian Cookery has a recipe for a mushroom dish that uses asafoetida which is amazing. A tiny pinch of asafoetida in the pot feeds four, so it's not something I make often, sadly.

Another chilli, pepper and ginger lover here.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13069 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

My recipe for garam masala uses a little asafoetida. It is also known as Devil's Dung. No one has objected to it. You can buy it in small containers of the powder.

Interestingly, there was some research some years ago that found people's appetites improved, or they found food more tasty, if there was a slight smell of faeces. I suppose there could be a connection.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

It's one of those things that the taste and smell change completely once it hits hot oil.

Thankfully.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016