homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Movie thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Movie thread
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I saw Logan last night. It really is very good; it's unlike any of the other Marvel films and, I suspect, what DC would like their films to look like.

They need to hire, and listen to, writers more than they need fancy directors. Seriously. This is why PIXAR was kicking Disney's arse until they merged. Story is king.
You're not wrong. That would explain why the most logical and consistent superhero film is The Incredibles.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible, then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1707 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indignation.

Based on a Philip Roth novel about a young, New York-area Jewish man attending college in smalltown Ohio in the early 1950s.

If it's not too much of a SPOILER...

One thing I liked about the film is that after the first ten minutes, you pretty much know how it's all gonna end up, and so you can have fun ticking off the list of things that the main character does to make that eventuality come true.

[ 18. March 2017, 14:39: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 5974 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get Out.

A young white woman takes her black boyfriend to meet her family for the first time, and they don't know he's black.

Best seen knowing as little as possible.

It was great. Thrilling, scary, funny. Well performed. Both my wife and I enjoyed it.

--------------------
My mum's 80th birthday wateraid wingwalk:
https://www.justgiving.com/connieswingwalk/.

Posts: 1620 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to see "A United Kingdom" where a black man brings his white wife home to Africa and his relatives and the highest level of the British government tells them to "Get out!"

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21083 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
We watched Doctor Strange yesterday, and loved every moment. It's certainly different from other Marvel films.

Yes, Dr. Strange was a lot of fun.

My other two recent movies were:

The Lego Batman Movie. It plays with the tradition and has a number of references to the old 60s TV series with Adam West, which I appreciated.

Masterminds, a comedy from 2016 that didn't have much impact at the theaters but has a great cast including Kristen Wiig and Zach Galifiniakis. It's about a huge armored-car heist that actually happened in 1997 and let's say the title is highly ironic.

[ 28. March 2017, 15:05: Message edited by: Al Eluia ]

--------------------
An omer is a tenth of an ephah. (Exodus 16:36)

Posts: 1116 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife and I were invited by a group to see The Shack. We have heard from some folks that the book was good and that's about all we knew about it. We found it far more intense than we expected.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2753 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
My wife and I were invited by a group to see The Shack. We have heard from some folks that the book was good and that's about all we knew about it. We found it far more intense than we expected.

Was the film good/ bad? How?

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:

Was the film good/ bad? How?
We seem to think it was good. I suppose we thought going in it would be something light and entertaining to watch while we spent a pleasant evening with some of the members of a nearby congregation who had invited us. I was probably thinking it would be something along the line of a spiritual Hallmark type of movie, or maybe something like Touched by An Angel, Highway to Heaven, something like that. It was actually much more intense and dealt with the types of things we think about between the time our head hits the pillow and we fall asleep.

A family's youngest daughter is abducted and killed while the family is on a camping trip. Blood stains and the dress she was wearing are located in a shack. The father, especially, is in severe mental and emotional agony because he blames himself and blames God for not protecting her. He later goes back to the shack and has an encounter with personifications of the trinity. They show and teach him how they look at things that happen and the people involved.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

Thank you.

It sounds as though you haven't read the book - I read about half before getting annoyed by it and abandoning it. So I wondered how the film version might compare.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

No, I haven't read the book. I looked up the book in wikipedia and the plot of the book, as described in wikipedia, appears to be very close to the movie.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got to see Hidden Figures, about the black women mathematicians at NASA in the 1960s - wonderful film! I highly recommend it.
I'd love to see more films with mainly black casts, too.
There are some very good actors in this one - plus the chap who plays Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory, as an engineer being generally unpleasant to Katherine, the main character, and Kevin Costner leading the project (I haven't watched any of his films since the terrible Robin Hood one, but he was really good here).
I loved the way Dorothy Vaughan got "her girls" into the IBM computing section so they didn't lose their jobs as "computers" too.
And the romance subplot between Katherine and Jim was really sweet.

--------------------
Never cruel nor cowardly.
Never give up, never give in.
The Doctor's Promise

Posts: 3673 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
OMG, Stetson, have you seen "Maggie's Plan"?

Synopsis: Greta Gerwig gets involved with a married man (Ethan Hawke),then three years later falls out of love with him and tries to hand him back to his ex wife (Julianne Moore, rocking a painfully phony German accent. But hey, it's a comedy [Big Grin] )

I thought of this because of your just professed love of slacker films and this one is like Jim Jarmusch meets Woody Allen. And I love Greta Gerwig. She is such an adorable schlemiel.

Anyhow, it really has that old school golden era of indie film feel, complete with ska soundtrack.

Watched it a couple of weeks back. Yeah, it was good, I'll give it 7.5 out of 10.

I liked the motif of slackers and their preoccupations having progressed into academia, though I did find myself wondering how much of that was exaggeration, and how much of it was possibly an accurate reflection of current intellectual concerns. Is the professor's field of "ficto-critical anthropology[or whatever it was]" a real thing, for example? I liked the Greta Gerwig character having some job that involved the commercialization of rarefied academic pursuits.

And yeah, Gerwig is pretty adorable. Even before recognizing her, the film was reminding me of Frances Ha, in a good way, and I think that was largely due to her performance.

And the sperm-donor character was classic slacker- film.

[ 09. April 2017, 19:22: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 5974 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend twisted my arm into seeing The Shack. I refused to read the book when it was being used for discussion in my (and many others) church.

The beginning was a bit confusing. (Is that the grown boy, or is it that other person?) However, I did catch up eventually to who and what was going on.

I had been warned to have a hanky and I'm glad I took that advice to heart. Surprise! I did really like the movie! God being played by a black woman totally warmed my heart!

The big lessons I learned were:
  • I am not in charge.
  • I am not the judge of anyone.

Not a bad takeaway from a movie, I would say.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17462 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

The Founder. Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc, long-time CEO of McDonalds.

Manages to transcend the usual parameters of the quickie biopic, ending up as a lightly cynical takedown of the rags-to-riches mythos. You can think of it as another entrant into the Dark Side Of The American Dream genre, but not caustic enough to deeply offend any true believers who happen to have wandered into the theatre.

Interesting that in the "Where They All Ended Up" section at the end, it it stated that Kroc's last wife donated a lot of money to National Public Radio. NPR being the sort of thing generally beloved by people who would agree with the script's negative assessment of dog-eat-dog capitalism.

[ 23. April 2017, 09:31: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016