homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Eaglet on the way!!!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Eaglet on the way!!!
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harriet has two eggs in the nest, and one is starting to hatch!!!

For two days, we've been told that the little one is going to make its appearance "any moment, now". Well, there are definite cracks in the egg, and we hope to have a baby eagle soon!

For those who have similar eagle cams or cams for other blessed events, feel free to share here.

Our Harriet lost Ozzie last year, but found a new mate afterwards, thankfully.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17346 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Facebook had her on live last night. At one point she jumped up abruptly, and a bunch of us were joking that the egg was kicking.

She certainly seems done with those bugs. [Big Grin]

The new guy is called "M15", for those who are curious.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 34955 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Facebook had her on live last night. At one point she jumped up abruptly, and a bunch of us were joking that the egg was kicking.

She certainly seems done with those bugs. [Big Grin]

The new guy is called "M15", for those who are curious.

Oh thank you! I was eager for eagles a few days ago and a quick check at my usual Hanover Pa and Minnesota nests told me I needed to hang on for a few months -- but now I have this nice Florida nest!

I've had my heart broken with these things, a fledgling in Estonia had me grieving for days, but it's like my pets, I keep letting myself in for it again. The trip up to the heart break is worth it somehow.

Posts: 6429 | From: Ohio | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One is hatching RIGHT NOW!

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well my cat is well and truly hooked on the live cam feed.

--------------------
One has to take part. Scary as it is. - Martin60
Jerusalem is a city without walls

Posts: 15940 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(20 minutes later) OK, what I meant to say was, one big chip of shell just fell off!

Gee, I never was here for the hatching part before. Didn't realized how incremental it was.

[ 30. December 2016, 21:08: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She was just chirping at the egg! What a good mama.

--------------------

Posts: 17346 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

And we have a baby eagle!!!

You can witness the happy event here!

[ETA link]

[ 31. December 2016, 15:18: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to lunch and missed it so appreciate the link. Precious little dingy cotton ball! I swear I saw the happy parents kiss at 1:01. [Axe murder]
jedijudy

# 333

Family portrait.

Just watched the changing of the parents. It was really cold this morning, so, I'm very glad of the feather bed and comforter the eagles provide! It's 75 here now, and might be a degree or two cooler north of the river where the eagles are.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I went to lunch and missed it so appreciate the link. Precious little dingy cotton ball! I swear I saw the happy parents kiss at 1:01. [Axe murder]

I saw the beak bump! I saw it, too!

I note that copious gifts of grossly aging fish are to be seen, as well.

[ 31. December 2016, 19:42: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Pip announced in second egg tonight..

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

I thought I saw the pip last night!

E8 has quite a headstart on whoever is hiding in the second egg. Hopefully they both grow well and start another generation of mighty eagles!!!

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Ack. The babe is E9!!

Rolling eyes at myself!!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Some have said the second pip turned out to be a dirt clump. Egg 2 may be a dud. [Frown]

I jumped on the NBC news feed on FB tonight, and it was ... eye opening. The primates on the feed, I mean.

There are several people who don't get how infrared works and who are insisting the lights have cooked the egg and is irradiating the parents.

There is some rumor going around that if you type 123hatch into the facebook feed, you can jump ahead ( in time, presumably) to see the egg hatch.

And of course, a sprinkling of terribly original and clever remarks about scrambled eggs, rotisserie eagle, etc.

The good news is the sensible far outweighed the stupid, but still.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Some dodo brain posted on FB that as soon as E9 fledges, it'll be taken away and Harriet and M15 will be returned to their cages in some research facility. Um. No.

I let him know that the wild eagles are totally free and fly over my house frequently. Ozzie and one of last year's eaglets were rehabilitated at C.R.O.W. when they were injured, but were released to the wild as soon as they were able to do so.

Where do these people get their stoopid ideas?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

There was some boneheads there last night. Every time M15 swatted a fly, that stupid 123hatch thing popped up.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

I missed 2 or 3 days, only peaking in quickly to see that they were still there -- and today -- all of a sudden --E9 is a fuzzy pterodactyl!

My favorite age. [Axe murder]

jedijudy

# 333

E9 is a gorgeous little fuzz-ball!

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the folks have done a little clean-up. No big fish left-overs. And does anyone know if they pushed out the dud egg?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21032 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Last time I got a look at it it was there, but a bit caved in looking. On the site it says they sometimes let it sink into the nest, or bury it into the layers.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah. Thanks.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

He's out stretching his wings right now. Thirteen days old and getting to be quite big boy1
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Had to get off the ABC live feed. The anthropomorphism was making me crazy.

I understand people are bummed about the dud egg, but I made the mistake of pointing out that many nests, everywhere, have a nonviable egg or two during nesting season. I was asked to notice how deeply sad Harriet is. (Harriet seems to be her normal Harriet self.)

One person said that the observation team had noticed the baby bird exhibiting egg grief, though. Harriet buried it, apparently, and E9 pitched a fit till she dug it back up. I guess I can see how a sibling egg could be imprinted as a comfort object.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Dang! That bebe is getting huge! Now mom and dad sort of lean up against it instead of covering it.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

He's got a real beak, now, too!

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

S/he's so cute spreading its little wings! Awww!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The camera zoomed in to give us a closeup of the pin feathers. Also revealed that E9 is using a fish tail as a sleep toy.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a great site...thanks for sharing!

I watch my work's camera site occasionally to watch what the peregrine falcons are up to.

Such a simple thing these webcams but they bring much pleasure!

[ 20. January 2017, 21:30: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 6971 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

It looks like the parental units nabbed a pigeon as a bit of variety from the usual fish.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The little one is on the egg... I find that so heartwarming.

When they say egg 1 is not viable, do they mean the one we can see? If so, is it simply because it hasn't hatched yet that they know? Or are there other ways?

[sorry, I grew up in the city...nature is a strange beast to me at times!]

jedijudy

# 333

The egg was laid before E9's egg. It has been WAY too long for the other egg to be viable.

Even if a miracle would happen, and the egg would hatch, E9 would likely demand all the food and the other eaglet would starve. IMHO.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thanks jedijudy.
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

It's still sweet how that unfertilized egg has been his cuddle buddy since he was born.
jedijudy

# 333

I was driving by today, and either Harriet or M15 flew right over my car! [Yipee]

Seeing eagles fly so close by really is a day brightener!!

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Getting bigger and bigger... I'm surprised at how quickly they grow.
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Oh yes,it seemed like those pin feathers turned into full wing feathers almost overnight.

I've been following a few nests over the past several years, but this camera in Florida brings a whole new dimension. Just this morning, someone has been directing the camera for sweeping views and some truly awesome close ups in the beautiful Florida light. These shots of the parent (?) on the branch this morning just take my breath away.

jedijudy

# 333

It looks like the egg is gone!
E-9 is sure a handsome little one.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Someone on the chat line said Dad buried the egg down in the nest. I thought E9 liked to cuddle it, but that could be my incorrigible anthropomorphism. Speaking of which -- when he spreads those new black wings, I think it looks like he's wearing fuzzy, gray, long underwear underneath.
jedijudy

# 333

Daughter-Unit and I drove out there recently and I took a video of the eagles; one was on the nest and one was on patrol duty above. If you'd like to see, here it is.

Good thing they have white heads! Makes it easier to see them.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

How wonderful to see them in real life...thanks for the video jedijudy!

Stupid question: how does one tell M15 from Harriet? I've only seen 1 adult in the nest, and usually at night -- though I see them in glorious colour currently!

[edit: after I posted the adult looked directly at the camera as if to say, "Don't you know who I am?" I don't, sorry. [Hot and Hormonal] ]

[ 09. February 2017, 18:29: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

jedijudy

# 333

That's not a stupid question at all! If you go to the eagle cam page and scroll to the bottom, there are pictures showing the differences in the two adult eagles. I still can't tell the difference! [Hot and Hormonal]

After not looking at the nest for a number of days, I have to say that our little E9 is growing up!! What a handsome young bird!

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thank you. You know...I'd never scrolled down. [brick wall] Interesting information. They are very similar...

And I thought Harriet & M15 were names Shipmates gave them!

jedijudy

# 333

Harriet's former (deceased) mate was Ozzie. It makes me wonder who did name them? Might be a family member or someone who works at the family business where the nest is.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

I can't tell Harriet and her hubby apart either, these two just aren't as markedly different as some.

I can tell the Hanover Pa couple apart. He wears more black eyeliner than she does (rock star) and she has a much longer beak and looks more angry to me. All eagles look stern but she is one step beyond at the "Anybody touches my eggs, I'll kill 'em," look.

The Hanover nest has eggs now, for those of us who can't get enough little cotton balls. This camera and picture is not as good as the Florida one but it's still a nice view. Hanover nest.

jedijudy

# 333

Thanks for the link, Twilight!!

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016