homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ship of Fools Book Group -2017 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship of Fools Book Group -2017
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's OK, I'll read it easily on the Tube.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love Mary Stewart's non Merlin books, so will try to join in and read this next month.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Programme for the next few months

June - 'The Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious - Discussion still open
July - 'The Buried Giant' - Thread now open.
August -'My Cousin Michael' led by Curiosity Killed
September - 'The Essex Serpent' led by Tree Bee
October -'The Secret Garden' led by Brenda Clough
November - 'Worldwalk' led by Golden Key

Is it too early to be thinkings of a Christmas book (sorry for mentioning Christmas it in July)

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Agh, I just read the POST review of The Essex Serpent and I may well have to read it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just bumping this up.

The plan for the rest of the year is as follows:

August -'My Cousin Michael' led by Curiosity Killed - Discussion now open

Any Christmas suggestions. I was wondering about 'The Thirteen Days of Christmas' by Jenny Overton. A children's book and a quick read. I very much enjoyed reading it in the 1970s and I'd be interested in what i think of it now.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Just bumping this up before it disappears over the horizon.

The programme for the rest of the year so far:
August -'My Cousin Michael' led by Curiosity Killed - Discussion now open

Any other suggestions for a December book? I've just read and enjoyed How to Stop Time by Matt Haig. A very romantic and life affirming novel, but not exactly a clear Christmas read, though I guess we don't have to have a Christmas themed book in December.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How to Stop Time looks interesting, I'd give it a go.
As one who tries to avoid the C word, I don't mind when I read it.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just had a look at How to Stop Time on Amazon, and I'd be prepared to give it a go
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Just bumping this up. The thread for the October choice The Secret Garden will be coming along shortly, in the meantime the September thread for The Essex Serpent is still open.
I've looked at when the paperback edition of Matt Haig's How to Stop Time is published and it isn't till the 27th December in the UK. I suggest we make that the choice for January 2018, which means we're still looking for something for December. I suggested The Thirteen Days of Christmas by Jenny Overton a few posts ago. A quick read and one I enjoyed when I read it forty odd years ago. Any thoughts on that, or any other suggestions?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right, gosh! Let me start a topic.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

The first of the month so I'm just bumping up this thread.

The programme for the rest of the year and the start of next looks like this:

October -'The Secret Garden' led by Brenda Clough - still open
November - 'Worldwalk' led by Golden Key - opening soon
December - ?

January 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig led by Sarasa.

As you can see nothing for December yet. If no one comes along with another suggestion I'll slot in Jenny Overton's 'Thirteen Days of Christmas'.

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could we have one of the Barset books at some point (not necessarily in December)?

The Warden is quite short and starts the whole series off, so it might be a good place to kick off...

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Probably you don't want to do a whole bunch of older works in a row. But at some point it would be great to do Precious Bane by Mary Webb.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seconding Precious Bane. I have a love-hate relationship with Mary Webb and would like to see what others make of her.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Both The Warden and Precious Bane seem excellent sugestions. I'm sure I've read the former, and the later is one of those books I sort of know about having seen it on the shelves in various libraries that I've worked in, but I don't think I've ever read it. Would you lke to lead the discussions Andras and Brenda Clough - any prefered months next year?

Any more Christmas thoughts anyone?

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Both The Warden and Precious Bane seem excellent sugestions. I'm sure I've read the former, and the later is one of those books I sort of know about having seen it on the shelves in various libraries that I've worked in, but I don't think I've ever read it. Would you lke to lead the discussions Andras and Brenda Clough - any prefered months next year?

Any more Christmas thoughts anyone?

I'd be happy to take The Warden - the earlier in the year the better, since I'm likely to be bogged down in proofs from March on.

What about Hogfather for December? Has it already been done?

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I would be good in 2018 for Precious Bane. But I'm certain you want something more modern in there for variety. How about something completely different, like a Modesty Blaise novel?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I do love the Ship's bookgroup for introducing me to books I wouldn't have otherwise read and helping me find new authors and rediscover old ones.

What do people think about Hogfather for a Christmas read? It's been a while since we've had a Pratchett novel. Andras would you be happy to lead it?

Tentative programme for the start of 2018

January 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig - led by Sarasa
February 'The Warden' by Anthony Trollope - led by Andras (Is that OK too?)

Brenda Clough - I was thinking Precious Bane for a bit later in the year. I quite like the idea of Modesty Blaise or soemthing similar. What does everyone else think?

Keep those suggestions coming.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

O'Donnell wrote a ton of Modesty books:
here's a list.
The paperback novels will be easier to get ahold of than the reprints of the newspaper strips. I suggest picking the best one of the novels and doing that. Does anyone have a favorite?

[ 02. November 2017, 13:11: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd love to read Hogfather for December. It will make me read the copy that's here.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Ok, shall we go for Terry Pratchett's Hogfather for December? I'm happy to lead it, but also happy to stand down if someone who is more of a fan of Pratchett's work than I am is available to take it on.

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Ok, shall we go for Terry Pratchett's Hogfather for December? I'm happy to lead it, but also happy to stand down if someone who is more of a fan of Pratchett's work than I am is available to take it on.

I'll look forward to joining in. The Good King Wenceslas episode (sort of!) is brilliant.

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great, I love Discworld and Hogfather was one of the best and perfect for Christmas.

HO HO HO

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Hogfather" would be great. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Programme for the next few months:

December - 'Hogfather' by Terry Pratchett - led by Sarasa

January - 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig - led by Sarasa
February 'The Warden' by Anthony Trolope - led by Andras

For later in the year we have the suggestions from Brenda Clough of Mary Webb's Precious Bane and one of the Modesty Blaise novels. Any more suggestions for next year? I'll start a new 2018 thread towards the end of next month.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I'm not starting a new 2018 book group thread just yet as I assume everything is migrating to the new Ship sometime shortly. However if you are keen to get ahead with next year's reads here is the programme for the first two months.

January - 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig - led by Sarasa
February 'The Warden' by Anthony Trolope - led by Andras

More suggestions welcome. All welcoem to join in with suggestions or with the threads each month.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And we bid a fond farewell to the 2017 Book Group!
jj
HH

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016