homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » January Book Group: Golden Hill

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: January Book Group: Golden Hill
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This month's book is Golden Hill by Francis Spufford. It was published last year and is out in paperback in the UK.

It is Spufford's first novel. He has previously written several non-fiction books, including The Child that Books Built and Unapologetic.

Golden Hill has been called a tribute to eighteenth century novels such as Tobias Smollett's Roderick Random. I cannot confirm this as I haven't read Smollett.

I believe it is traditional to start conversation on the 20th of the month. Note that there will be a spoiler warning as there are one or two twists in the tale.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 9729 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in. This review in The Guardian seems to suggest that this is a novel that will be right up my street. I like picaresque novels, and this is a period of history and a setting I know little of.

--------------------
Previously Gussie.
Newt fancier turned goldfish

Posts: 1643 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like my kind of book, and I'll read it if I can get it. Weirdly, my usual outlets for e-books (my preferred format) are telling me I can't get it as an e-book in Canada till June 27. Same for hardcover -- yet Indigo's site suggests I can get it in paperback on January 10. Having a paperback available before the hardcover is so odd it's hard to imagine that's not a mistake, but I'll keep looking.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7203 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trudy Scrumptious - apologies for not having checked more thoroughly that people would be able to get the book easily. I hope you manage to track it down. I do wish you could buy ebooks from other coutnries, I've had that problems with things I want not yet available in the UK.

--------------------
Previously Gussie.

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I'm sure I can order a physical copy of the book sent from the UK, but would really prefer the e-book. Doesn't seem to be a way around that (that I know of, anyway). I will keep searching though.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7203 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've reserved it from the library so hoping to join in.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5157 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

The chain bookstore here (Chapters/Indigo) seems to be sticking to their story that the paperback will be available Jan 10. I've never heard, even with a book published in another country, of the paperback coming out before both the hardcover and the e-book -- but I am going to take them at their word and hope to be able to get it on the 10th.

--------------------
Books and things.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just been announced that Golden Hill's won the Costa Prize for First Novel.
(For those of you who are put off by books that win prizes, please don't be put off.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

As I sort of suspected, now that Jan 10 has come, Indigo is showing the paperback as "out of stock." I don't think there's any way I'm going to be able to get it, which is a shame because it really sounds like a book I'd like. I'm sure I'll read it eventually.

--------------------
Books and things.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm toying with the idea of joining in; I don't normally read literary fiction, but it does sound entertaining. I'll see if I can get it from the library...
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

The more the merrier. I hope Trudy finds a copy.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm half-way through it (library copy). It's a slow burn and took me some time to get into - but I love it.

I've read all of Spufford's books and I think it's very slightly unfair that he got the Costa prize for first novel. His unusual portrayal of the Soviet Union "Red Plenty", although basically a book of history, is no far off from being a novel in parts (and I loved it).

"Golden Hill" just cries out to be made into a good BBC Sunday evening drama series - I've even started mentally casting it!

Posts: 8095 | From: East of Greenwich | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
"Golden Hill" just cries out to be made into a good BBC Sunday evening drama series - I've even started mentally casting it!

I am going to want to know what your casting choices are, and whether they change at all as you read.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I thought of Lily James (Natasha in the BBC "War and Peace") as Flora. The interesting one to cast will be Tabitha.
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I have managed to obtain an e-copy and will start it probably this evening, as soon as I finish finding out exactly how the Scots did invent the modern world.

--------------------
Books and things.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

//Does that mean we can blame them for all its failings?

If so, I must inform my (Scottish) wife!//

[ 12. January 2017, 10:36: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

What I'm finding fascinating (and I agree with Baptist Trainman that it's taken a while to get into it) is the description of Manhatten at the time.

--------------------
Previously Gussie.

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope to read it when the other half finishes his copy.

I browsed an interesting description of church going in C18 New York, but Spufford is a vicar's husband, putting him in that fine line of vicarage novelists with Austen, Bronte and Sterne.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3017 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

No longer the husband of a mere Vicar - she's now a Residentiary Canon at Ely Cathedral!
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Absolutely loving the book so far ... it sucked me in right from the first pages.

--------------------
Books and things.

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Finished. Oh my. I have very complicated feelings about this book. Can't wait to discuss.

--------------------
Books and things.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's on my Kindle, but no guarantee I'll read it in time for the discussion.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13009 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about half way through. Hopefully I'll finish it in time.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Just finished it. Like Trudy Scrumptious I can't wait to discuss it.

--------------------
Previously Gussie.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I've only got to the bit where he's in prison with a horrific cell-mate. Clearly he gets out or there would be no more story!
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
No longer the husband of a mere Vicar - she's now a Residentiary Canon at Ely Cathedral!

And good on the Ely Cathedral website in announcing it and saying nothing of her husband, in the way a wife would be flagged up as an accessory to her husband.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3017 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

The discussion will have spoilers. If you haven't finished the book before the discussion starts I suggest you steer clear of the thread unless you like spoilers. One of the big spoilers is in the last chapter.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Oh yeah there is no way I can discuss this book without discussing the ending. It had a huge impact on how I felt about the book.

--------------------
Books and things.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still waiting for my library copy... hoping to be able to join in before the end of the discussion.
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Finished!

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016