homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Very engaging videos

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Very engaging videos
Avey
Apprentice
# 18701

- Posted      Profile for Avey     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if anyone would be interested but this guy's blog and videos really interested me and I'm agnostic.

All about a Franciscan Friar in formation

https://breakinginthehabit.org

Posts: 9 | From: London UK | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't had the time. I watched bits of a couple videos. Looks promising. Will report back.
Posts: 91 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, last night I watched five or so of Br Casey's videos, the shorter ones. I'll watch the longer and more serious ones today and tomorrow. On first blush, I was rather impressed, in that he had a very approachable manner, and was amusing without trivialising his topic. I appreciated his discussion of youth preparing for vocation, telling them to go out and have a 'normal' life first (live on your own, go out and date), and then decide. Solid, earthy advice. Not that I've known more than a couple, but as I was watching, he struck me as rather, well, Franciscan. I think that the Franciscans have found their posterboy. I assume that he is doing these videos with the knowledge and approval of his superiors.
Avey
Apprentice
# 18701

- Posted      Profile for Avey     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In what way did you think the presenter was specifically "Franciscan"? I don't know an awful lot about the order and have never met an actual Franciscan in person but I learned from the videos that they are concerned with social justice and ministering to the poor and disadvantaged.

Do the members of the order have a particular style in engaging with people in general?

Posts: 9 | From: London UK | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

Oh.... I'm going to get caned for this.

No order has a monopoly on concerns for social justice, ministering to the disadvantaged, etc. I suppose that it comes down to questions of emphasis rather than specific nature of activity: Jesuits on education and mission, Dominicans on doctrine, Basilians on education, Franciscans on the disadvantaged and pets (that was a joke!), etc. In my (and note the qualifiers!) personal, anecdotal, and statistically invalid experience, the Jesuits I have known were very good scholars, nice guys, a bit distant (as am I, so no criticism), the Dominican (one and only one) was a bit stiff, but I knew him only pretty superficially, and the couple Franciscans were nice, relaxed, one was a bit hippy-skippy, the other more mainstream and serious but with a very sly sense of humour. It should be noted, as well, that these acquaintances were all in the context of academia, which further distorts the sample. Of course, I could be talking about a selection of atheist electricians, carpenters, and plumbers, for the worth of what I've said.

Anyway, having now invited myself to Hell, I suspect, I'll close by saying that Br Casey seemed like the two Franciscans I knew (not very well).

[ 08. January 2017, 17:40: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016