homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's time to start a new Geek thread for a new year! I will move the old computer thread to Limbo so those who need those words of wisdom will have easy access.

OK Geeks! Help those of us who have questions about the mysteries of these new-fangled technologies!!

You can find the moved thread here.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17255 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is Piglet's query and the two following posts from the previous thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I don't think I've ever posted on what I think of as the techno-peasants' support thread [Big Grin] , and this may not even be a Geek question, but here goes.

The computer in the house we're looking after for friends is an Apple desk-top with wireless keyboard and mouse. The usual way of starting it (as demonstrated by our friend before he left) is by hitting the space bar, and the screen came to life.

When I went to use it this afternoon, the screen remained completely blank, although I hadn't done anything different when I stopped using it last night. I've tried obvious things like turning it off and on again, and even changed the batteries in the keyboard, but with no luck. There don't appear to be any on/off switches; the monitor itself doesn't appear to have any switches at all.

What have I done??? [Help]

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I did that once! It turned out that the machine had simply turned off (a very short power outage in the middle of the night will do this) and i could not find the very cleverly disguised power button on the case. Had to call IT to show me where they hid it (i think it was on the back of the case).

quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
Piglet - try the guide here - might have to look through the list to find the matching model...

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17255 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
Piglet - try the guide here - might have to look through the list to find the matching model...

Thanks, GS - that certainly helped a bit*. Now the computer has decided it doesn't recognise the wireless keyboard (make it 'discoverable', whatever that means) , and I can't work out how to put that right.

* although why in the name of all that's holy they have to put the on/off switches in such stupid places is completely beyond me
[Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18023 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, from Apple support

quote:
1. Make sure your device is powered on.
2. If the LED is blinking, your device is in Discoverable Mode. If the LED is steady, your device is paired with another item. Unpair the device, turn it off, and start again.
3. In the menu bar of your Mac, choose the Bluetooth icon, then choose Open Bluetooth Preferences.
4. Your Mac scans for available Bluetooth devices.
5. When your device appears in the Bluetooth Preference Pane, click Pair.

--------------------

Posts: 2399 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have recently bought a tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A). My main reason for buying it was Overdrive, which allows me to download e books form the public library (only the Voyager from the kindle range allows this and its more expensive). Apart from when I am actually downloading books I turn off the Wi-Fi as I've been told the battery goes flat more quickly when Wi-Fi is on.

As it is the battery seems to need charging more frequently than the kindle does. Is that usual? Would the fact that I am using a large font drain the battery more quickly?

Please don't be afraid to state the obvious in your answers - what may be obvious to you may be totally unknown to me.

Huia - yet another tecnopeasant*

Thanks Uncle Pete - such a useful term.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9365 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016