homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently playing around with 2 different DSL/VDSL internet connections, one via the phone landline, which I've had for many years (down 10Mps/up 1Mps), and a new one via the cable network (down 100mps/up 10Mps).

It now appears that the while the new, fast one is just that - pages and file downloads go considerably faster! [Smile] -, there seem to be strange outings while I'm listening to online radio (streaming, mostly the BBC) as well as watching the internet telly or iPlayer. This happens with mediaplayer software (VLC or Screamer) as well as browser-based. Both, radio and TV, are buffering every now and then on the 100Mps highspeed line, and I lose sound and/or image for a few seconds, which is somewhat annoying. The 10MPs line has more or less continual coverage with only the occasional lapse. I find this buffering rather baffling.

While it is not much to worry about, seeing that for the time being I can access both lines (via phone and cable network - a luxury!), I'm curious why a considerably faster line seems to have more frequent lapses than the slower one.

Do any of you experience similar lapses with your connections when streaming or on-demanding audio and/or video ? - Thanks!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will be down to various factors at the provider end: contention, latency, traffic-shaping etc. It may also be down to restrictions in place on the serving sites, which throttle the outbound connections.

All of which will (officially) be designed to grant equality to all users and stop someone with the right kit/best connection "hogging" a resource. It will also, arguably, allow the various service providers to get away with under-provisioning capacity by doing cunning bits of traffic management.

The quoted speeds are always the "up to" or "burst" speeds. Sustained transfers (such as for streaming or large file moves etc.) are a different ballgame generally, and will show up the above kind of behaviours.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Should also have said it might also be that your local kit isn't (wo)man enough to manage the sustained transfers at the higher rate, so is having to play catch-up from time to time, but that's less likely.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking about getting a graphics tablet. Can anyone tell me whether it would be possible to put a piece of paper over the active area of the tablet and trace an image. Does the stylus need to be in direct contact with the active area? Are all tablets the same in this respect?

Any help much appreciated!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Drifting Star -- It's a while since I've used a digitising tablet, so make of this what you will, I don't vouch for it being up to date. :-)

As far as I remember the pen on a Wacom tablet does not have to actually contact the surface of the tablet, but it has to be very close, and without touching it loses all the pressure sensitive functionality. Also, the 'pen' tip leaves no mark, and is softer than the surface of the tablet so that it wears rather than the tablet. I am not aware of a pen that would work with the tablet AND also enable you to draw on paper -- although such a thing may exist.

You also need to set up the stylus in the mode of positioning that suits what you are doing: 'relative' or 'absolute'. 'Relative' picks up on the last location of the screen pointer/cursor, regardless of where the stylus is placed on the tablet; while 'absolute' treats the tablet as an exact analogue of the screen.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is really helpful Alasdair - thank you. I only need a very basic ability to get a tracing onto the screen, so that is fine.

I've finally had a reply from the retailer who says that it is 'theoretically possible' as the stylus will work so long as it is within 5mm of the surface. Your info is rather more useful!

I hadn't thought of such a thing, but a combination pen/stylus would be brilliant - I strongly suspect it doesn't exist, but if it does I hope someone will tell me.

--------------------

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your'e welcome. I would only add that if you decide to go ahead buy the largest tablet you can afford as it will make your artistic endeavours much more pleasurable, especially when it comes to detailed work. I'm sure there are plenty of reviews available online that will give you a good idea of what you should go for.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drifting Star

It sounds as if you want something like this

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Alasdair - thanks again, that is useful advice. The one I've been looking at is the Huion Giano WH1409 which has a larger active area than most at 13.8 x 8.6 inches. My gut reaction said that I wouldn't like trying to work on a small area, but nobody leaving feedback seemed to have had any trouble with the smaller ones.

Jengie Jon - you are the expert at Finding Things Out™ (or possibly at Knowing Things™)! I am going to have to do a serious comparison between these two. Thank you. [Smile]

--------------------

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Or, maybe something like this: http://tinyurl.com/go7sgok :-)
Drifting Star

# 12799

Aaagghhh! So many lovely gadgets, so little time and money... [Biased]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year I inquired about a free program which would find duplicate files on an external drive, and somebody suggested one which I then successfully used.
But, peculiarly, I now find no such program installed on my computer. I've tried a few off the internet, but none look like the very simple one I used last year.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I need one which will work on an external drive connected by WiFi. I'm currently running dupeGuru, but it doesn't look anything like what I was using, and is very slow.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah ha, I have found that what I was using was Auslogics, and I was using it on a USB drive. The other drive is attached to the router via an ethernet connection, which the computer cannot read directly.
I gave up on dupeguru, and am trying Duplicate file finder, which appears to be doing something.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use duplicate file finder. And it works ok, but I would like to specify a directory or directories which is the one to leave if duplicates are found elsewhere.

I have never successfully used hard drives or flash drives directly attached to routers.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

Penny S, are you trying to find any duplicate file across a random structure, or trying to match duplicates within the same structures (e.g. Drive B contains a copy of Drive A but it's not a perfect copy and you want to "plug the gaps")?

If it's the latter kind, then BeyondCompare is excellent, and has a free trial.

If it's general de-duplication then you may find some of the tools here useful, or possibly this one.

Note that I have no direct experience of the above (excluding BeyondCompare) but NirSoft stuff is generally reliable, and I use a lot of their tools.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thanks for that - I will file the names for future reference. Duplicate Files Finder has succeeded in finding a huge number of duplicate photos (I have been very carefully copying things so as not to lose them!) while attached via the WiFi and the ethernet connection from the router. It's mostly that sort of thing I'm looking for. It took overnight to do it, and my doing the interactive decisions is going to take even longer.

It has spotted files with changed names such as *.*(2) and identified them as the same as *.*, where I have copied into the same folder.

I shall probably have to close down and re-run at some other convenient time, as the slider at the side has not moved down very much as I work.

And I'm pretty sure it has not been able to deal with the most space occupying files, which are videos from the TV. These I have copied from a drive to which the TV records, before suddenly deciding that it can't read it any more and it needs reformatting. I suspect that many of these are duplicates, and identifying them is going to be very tedious! (The TV manufacturers, Linsar, say the problem is known, and recommend powered hard drives, which are rare as hens' teeth now, and as expensive.)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My boss - who's been mentioned on these boards before, mostly I think on the prayer and praise threads... [Paranoid] - is an IT fan, but perhaps doesn't always choose the best methods and means.

He's been using the M$ site https://forms.office.com/ for a while, for a number of online questionnaires we're supposed to fill in. My problem with this site is that, at least on Firefox, I seem to be unable to print (e.g. as pdf) the entire form, which often is quite lengthy. In print preview, I just get one single page, only showing a very small part of the entire questionnaire; the site apparently tricks print preview into thinking it's on one page only.

From the point of view of keeping ownership of the data I entered, I appear to be unable to save the whole lot in an easy way, and have to resort to screenshots placed in a wordprocessing document. This is time-consuming and annoying.

In my understanding of customer-friendly design, I'd compare this M$ site e.g. to webshops, where there are contact forms with your e-mail address, and where they then send you a copy of all that you wrote. I find this extremely handy and fair.

Questions for those of you in the know, pretty please:
  • Is it correct that documents from that site don't print correctly, i.e. can't be easily saved?
  • Can you tweak the site into sending a copy of the information filled in to an e-mail address you could enter somewhere? Is this technically possible and offered by M$? (I might tell my boss!)
  • Are there any alternative sites with even better fonctionality that M$ Office, and which are more user-friendly?
Thanks very much in advance!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have this evening received an email from someone called Nadia Holtman, with a .doc attachment claiming to be a contract, needing a password (included in the email) to open it. Ms Holtman has an address at tigo.com.py. which appears to be a Paraguayan phone company. I am not now, nor ever have been, in Paraguay.
She also has my full name, my address down to postcode, though using the expression zip.
I opened it in Wordpad, where it did not need the code to open it, revealing a morass of coding.

What should I do about this? I've archived it in Thunderbird in case anything else arrives.

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Penny S That sounds a lot like a type of phishing scam with a Trojan horse I've read about.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

On reading it in notepad I see it is not code but an encrypted package.
I can't find anything online about a scam involving it.
I am quite worried about the amount they know about me.
I am running a full scan, and am about to disconnect from the internet until done.

[ 03. April 2017, 22:30: Message edited by: Penny S ]

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
On reading it in notepad I see it is not code but an encrypted package.
I can't find anything online about a scam involving it.
I am quite worried about the amount they know about me.
I am running a full scan, and am about to disconnect from the internet until done.

I think you got a different sort of thing. It's not a scam in the sense that you give them information. They want you to view the document in Word, and then you will be prompted to "enable editting" or "enable macros", probably the first=editing. Then your computer gets infected with a virus or the hard drive locks up until you send someone money.

If they only have your name, address and post code, that's pretty easy to get about anyone. If they have things like the name of your bank, your age, or other things, it is time to change your passwords.

Never ever open documents from people you don't know or any other files. Delete the emails from this person and have it sorted as "spam" for any future things.

This is my advice, YMMV.

I get them from delivery companies, saying I need to open the attachment to check the status of my package. The scammers have obviously successfully harvested names, addresses and emails from a database.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found a link about it: Secure Document Phishing Attack

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Age is not so hard to get. I see it all the time when I'm trying to locate a person with a common name on Google. Various companies will offer you a list of people in that city or state with that name plus an age so you can differentiate the octogenarians from the twenty-somethings. But they certainly don't come up with your Social Security no. or bank details.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thanks. I had expected to get a page about the scam from somewhere or other, but obviously didn't use a suitable search term.
It arrived in the spam folder, anyway. The name of the sender was close to that of a contact.
I am now suspecting it was linked to the Talktalk hacks of data of users. I have a Talkmobile account.
It could also be linked to a seller on ebay, I suppose, who would have had access to my address.
It is odd how it sends one into wondering if one has signed up for something somewhere and not realised exactly what.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Nothing reported on the full scan. Good.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Glad to hear! You were either wise or divinely guided to open the document in Notepad rather than Word.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I think the second. I did start off with Word, but I never use it, it wanted a password, I didn't have one, then saw it was provided in the email. At that point I decided to try OpenOffice, and it refused to even get as far as that, which is where I got down to the very basic stuff.

What I did forget to do was to look at the header, which I usually do with things I'm not sure of.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Using Google Chrome on an Intel powered machine - well, actually it is powered by electricity but I'm sure you understand that. I use a mid-price generic optical mouse.

I have one window open and five tabs, the fourth of which is Heaven, where I am writing this. The others are 3 Ship boards and The Crew's Quiz.

When I use the scroll wheel in the other tabs it scrolls up and down, no problem. In Heaven it won't scroll, just doesn't do it. I have to resort to click and hold on the side scroll bar and move things that way.

Do I need to:

a] petition the Heaven Hosts for a scrolling licence?,

b] grease the bearings in my monitor?,

c] change my deodorant?, or

d] just stop bothering people with trivialities?

Yours, etc. - Worried Welease Woderwick, India

[btw - another bright, sunny day here - shame about the drought!]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...then it started doing the same with Another Board and so I just did a complete restart and, miraculously, the whole thing is cured!

It was weird whilst it lasted.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I was, prepared to present you with a license to scroll! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advice please ... I have just migrated from an old W7 computer to Windows 10. On the old PC I had my emails with Windows Live Mail, on the new one I have got Windows Mail. I have managed to set up my email account and the emails are coming through ok, but my contacts are not there. Do I need to copy them over somehow, and if so how? I still have the old PC with everything on it.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Advice please ... I have just migrated from an old W7 computer to Windows 10. On the old PC I had my emails with Windows Live Mail, on the new one I have got Windows Mail. I have managed to set up my email account and the emails are coming through ok, but my contacts are not there. Do I need to copy them over somehow, and if so how? I still have the old PC with everything on it.

Go to this link scroll down to the export instructions.
Then go to this link, click on the in reply to Jesinta Rozario's post on August 5, 2015 link and follow those instructions.

DISCLAIMER: I've neither of those products, therefore cannot vouch for the efficacy of these instructions.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windows 10, Firefox:

I can't move files from wherever I download them (or even the folder I download them to) from webmail without closing my browser. No immediate answer to be found online. Flushing my browser cache does nothing. Anyone got any ideas?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do I get those two small dots over a letter? I'm trying to write a woman's name and would like to get it right.

I even used to know what they are called, but for now two little dots will have to do.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In which program are you typing, and which one do you want?

ä ë ï ö ü

[you could copy one of those I suppose! [Smile] ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Windows 10, Firefox:

I can't move files from wherever I download them (or even the folder I download them to) from webmail without closing my browser. No immediate answer to be found online. Flushing my browser cache does nothing. Anyone got any ideas?

Which Webmail?

MS Outlook and Google Inbox seem okay to me. I can go to the folder where I downloaded attachments and move them... Or have I misunderstood?

I go to the Download icon [arrow], click Show All Downloads, right click the one I want and select "Open Containing Folder" and I can move it [cut and paste].

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Sorry Huia, mind scattered. Meant to include this to see if it helps:

http://www.nthuleen.com/teach/misc/typingumlauts.html

And they are called a diaresis. Or umlaut in German.

[ 15. May 2017, 07:55: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I go to the Download icon [arrow], click Show All Downloads, right click the one I want and select "Open Containing Folder" and I can move it [cut and paste].

I should be able to do all that, but on occasion I can't move downloaded (or uploaded) files or the folders containing them without restarting my browser. I use two different webmail solutions and it's the same problem for each.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia
Can't speak for all WP apps but in LibreOffice it's Special Character' in the Insert menu: in Word its the 'Symbol' icon, also under Insert. I suspect it's the same or similar in other apps.

You might have to scroll down some to find what you want...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
How do I get those two small dots over a letter? I'm trying to write a woman's name and would like to get it right.

I even used to know what they are called, but for now two little dots will have to do.

Huia

umlauts- how to

Helpful Font Tips

[ 15. May 2017, 19:28: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The above are called ANSI escape codes.

Another way to do it is to Google for something that contains the letter in question, and then copy and paste it into your document.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ACK
Shipmate
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With words I use alot with accents, umlats or the like, after I have gone through the hassle once, I add them to the WP's dictionary. Then I can spell them in 'ordinary' letters, and use spell-check to convert to the correct way of doing the letter. Picked up the idea from 'cafe', which is usually already in the dictionary.
Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father died this morning, and his last telephone message to Mum is still on the landline answerphone - but will only be saved for another 11 days after today.

Can anyone suggest a simple way of recording it to a permanent storage medium so that Mum has a recording of his voice? We've tried using a dictaphone-type voice recorder, but just get feedback.

Many thanks,

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sorry for your loss.

You shouldn't have got feedback, but perhaps the levels were too high.

Assuming your dictaphone-type device works for recording normal speech, try placing it further away from the ansaphone speaker when you play the message.

Alternatively, you could place a laptop (or even a mobile phone) near the ansaphone and record with that.

[ 06. June 2017, 21:06: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

Sympathies, sandemaniac.

As well as the other suggestions, many mobiles allow you to record calls. Call the phone, record the call, then you should have a digital recording of the OGM on your mobile

[ 06. June 2017, 21:27: Message edited by: Snags ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some answer machines will allow you to forward messages to another phone number. When you're done trying various ways to record (in case things go wrong), try "other options" on the answer machine and see if it will do that for you. Maybe try it on a less precious message first. If all else fails, find a certified IRL electronics geek to help.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect the following will work.

Get a phone socket recording lead and attach to the phone. Then ring the voice recording service and play the message.

I am assuming a message service due to it disappearing in eleven days.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have a Sony Ericsson K5101 phone, currently with a Virgin SIM, for mostly emergencies. However, I wanted to see how the video worked, and found the camera does not work with either function. Whether I use the steering device and menu, or the button round the side, the phone shows the camera screen for a moment, and then leaves it almost immediately. Trying to use the nano-second before it does to take a snap fails.

It has worked in the past, as there are pics in the gallery to prove it.

Any idea what's going on? (The SIM, though I can't see how that would affect this function, is topped up.)

[ 15. June 2017, 11:02: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have now copied and deleted all the images and videos, in case it was a space issue, but no result. Am also charging the battery fully.

[ 15. June 2017, 11:57: Message edited by: Penny S ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Likely just age. Assuming the papyrus disintegrated on the original, here is a PDF instruction manual.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016